Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Trade 6th overall pick to Knicks
As of today the Knicks have our 6th overall pick.  Let that marinate a bit.  That alone has more value than KP right now.  Might also consider KP helped us win enough games last year to lose out on Halliburton, Cole Anthony, or Pokusevski. Bad feeling this trade is going to haunt us for years.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:22 PM)Lukasmom Wrote: Might also consider KP helped us win enough games last year to lose out on ...Pokusevski. 

Feel better about it now.
Like Reply
As far as I know the Mavs made the playoffs last season and KP was a crucial part of the team. Not really sure what you are proposing. Tank for the rest of the decade and hope that Luka will be happy?
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As far as I know the Mavs made the playoffs last season and KP was a crucial part of the team. Not really sure what you are proposing. Tank for the rest of the decade and hope that Luka will be happy?
6th pick WITH KP.  We could not tank harder if we tried.
Like Reply
He also helped us win enough games to get Luka to his first playoff birth ever, and the franchises first in a long time. However, keep on keepin on. Don't let me stop you.
Like Reply
The trade (and ensuing contract extension) might indeed be something that holds the team back, but, that's not a given yet. I actually thought KP showed signs of life in the game last night. I thought he was pretty good on defense, actually, and that's the side of his play I've been extremely critical of, going all the way back to last season. 

And, even if the trade (and contract) end up being obvious errors, it's ridiculous to second guess them at this point. They were absolutely moves that seemed logical at the time. Sometimes, things just don't work. Building an NBA contender is difficult.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:22 PM)Lukasmom Wrote: Might also consider KP helped us win enough games

Or you can think about it as KP helped us win enough games to make the playoffs? Something that the Kings haven't done in 15 years. Wolves have only done once in 17 years. Suns haven't been back there for 10 years.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The Mavs literally lead the league in almost every bad luck category this season...you know schedule, b2bs, travel, injuries, Covid...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9NRpOeS.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 12:22 PM)Lukasmom Wrote: As of today the Knicks have our 6th overall pick.  Let that marinate a bit.  That alone has more value than KP right now.  Might also consider KP helped us win enough games last year to lose out on Halliburton, Cole Anthony, or Pokusevski. Bad feeling this trade is going to haunt us for years.

The assumption is DAL will stay at the 6th pick, with which I disagree. I also disagree that a pick, even a high one, is a guaranteed value. They are all a spin of the wheel, place your bets please. 

Personally, I'd rather have the playoff experience than any of the guys listed. It is now a benchmark for the team success at this point in the Luka dynasty.

Also consider the ugly fact that DAL has been notoriously unsuccessful in bringing in high talent free agents. Seems like there is always somewhere more attractive they opt for. The team's best success has been through trades, even if they sometimes overpay in assets. No worse than maxxing out an RFA like Parsons. And they usually get better results.
Like Reply