Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calm Down, Stay Positive
(02-02-2021, 04:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This doesn't sound like you believe we have ill-fitting parts like you said.
This doesn’t sound like you have ever read any of my posts.

Don’t forget the title of this thread.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 05:05 PM)RDB Wrote: This doesn’t sound like you have ever read any of my posts.

Don’t forget the title of this thread.
I read the 2 I replied to. I am very calm, and positive at times
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 06:13 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I read the 2 I replied to. I am very calm, and positive at times
I see...and for some reason you decided to make a flippant remark to both of them.  I guess in your world a person needs to stop drinking before they acknowledge they are an alcoholic.  Strange logic to determine that you need a solution before you identify a problem but to each his own.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 06:55 PM)RDB Wrote: I see...and for some reason you decided to make a flippant remark to both of them.  I guess in your world a person needs to stop drinking before they acknowledge they are an alcoholic.  Strange logic to determine that you need a solution before you identify a problem but to each his own.
Sounds like the one who needs to be calm isn't me. Not sure what crawled up your pants, I just read what you wrote and you were the one who came back at me guns ablazin.

When you say, ill-fitting parts, that is a definitive judgement, is it not? If we have ill-fitting parts, why are we keeping them? I  don't believe our parts are all that ill-fitting, and if they are, it's hasn't been revealed yet...BECAUSE THEY HAVE PLAYED EXACTLY 1 GAME TOGETHER. Edit: caps for emphasis, not yelling.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 06:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Sounds like the one who needs to be calm isn't me. Not sure what crawled up your pants, I just read what you wrote and you were the one who came back at me guns ablazin.
Lol...please explain.  You made a comment questioning my logic.  I provided a lengthy response explaining my logic with no ill words toward you.  You then responded that I didn’t really believe my own logic. And somehow I came out guns a-blazing’ toward you.

(02-02-2021, 06:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Sounds like the one who needs to be calm isn't me. Not sure what crawled up your pants, I just read what you wrote and you were the one who came back at me guns ablazin.

When you say, ill-fitting parts, that is a definitive judgement, is it not? If we have ill-fitting parts, why are we keeping them? I  don't believe our parts are all that ill-fitting, and if they are, it's hasn't been revealed yet...BECAUSE THEY HAVE PLAYED EXACTLY 1 GAME TOGETHER. Edit: caps for emphasis, not yelling.
Then why don’t we shut down the trade/FA discussions and go with what we have.  If you have a square peg and a round hole, that doesn’t mean we need to get rid of them both.

Also, I fully realize they have only played 1 game together. That’s why I said don’t do anything drastic and instead see what we have and make intelligent decisions moving forward.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:04 PM)RDB Wrote: Then why don’t we shut down the trade/FA discussions and go with what we have.  If you have a square peg and a round hole, that doesn’t mean we need to get rid of them both.
This is a message board, if you think people would shut down any talk because of something you think, I don't know what to say to you. People can talk trade all they want. They see players that they don't believe are what we need as a team, so they look to upgrade or at least side grade (for a better matching part) them through trades. 

If we actually do have a square peg and a round hole, I'd hope even you would trade for either a round peg or a square hole. The issue I take is with the definitive statement that we actually do have a square peg and round hole, which is what you said. If you don't believe that, then just say it and we can move on...
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 01:16 AM)RDB Wrote: I am positive that we are not there yet and have some miss matched pieces.
(02-02-2021, 01:16 AM)RDB Wrote: Let’s get our team back in sync again, see what we have, and make intelligent choices on how to improve moving forward.
If we have identified that we have mismatched pieces, there is no reason to get back in sync, because we know we have mismatched pieces. Am I wrong in that thought?
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This is a message board, if you think people would shut down any talk because of something you think, I don't know what to say to you. People can talk trade all they want. They see players that they don't believe are what we need as a team, so they look to upgrade or at least side grade (for a better matching part) them through trades. 

If we actually do have a square peg and a round hole, I'd hope even you would trade for either a round peg or a square hole. The issue I take is with the definitive statement that we actually do have a square peg and round hole, which is what you said. If you don't believe that, then just say it and we can move on...
If this is a message board like you say, then I assume I am allowed to have a perspective no?  And by the way, it’s MY judgement.  I think your last response is an acknowledgement that you had an issue when this discussion began...so thank you.  

i also do not think I ever suggested that we shut down discussions because of my thoughts.  I gave a perspective, you chose to flame and disagree with that perspective, and I questioned why we even discuss trades/FA if I’m not allowed to have a perspective and need to support yours.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If we have identified that we have mismatched pieces, there is no reason to get back in sync, because we know we have mismatched pieces. Am I wrong in that thought?
From my perspective, wrong.  There are multiple ways to solve problems, especially in the fluid NBA world.  I rarely believe it’s smart to make decisions based off emotions.  I really can’t see why this is so controversial to you...unless you are just incapable of viewing anything through a different lens.

And that’s just MY perspective.
Like Reply
Lets not devolve this into a ticky tack he-said/she said thing. 

Positivity! I think Justin Anderson will be a....wait a sec, I mean Josh Green will be a great NBA role player if only he can hit a 3 consistently.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:28 PM)RDB Wrote: If this is a message board like you say, then I assume I am allowed to have a perspective no?  And by the way, it’s MY judgement.  I think your last response is an acknowledgement that you had an issue when this discussion began...so thank you.  

i also do not think I ever suggested that we shut down discussions because of my thoughts.  I gave a perspective, you chose to flame and disagree with that perspective, and I questioned why we even discuss trades/FA if I’m not allowed to have a perspective and need to support yours.
I feel like we're having 2 different conversations. The one in your mind, and the one in mine...I guess. I restated above what my original issue with your statements were (I saw them  as contradicting and was basically asking for clarification, which you went on to not address). I don't see why we would want to resync and see what we have, if we know we have mismatched pieces.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:34 PM)RDB Wrote: From my perspective, wrong.  There are multiple ways to solve problems, especially in the fluid NBA world.  I rarely believe it’s smart to make decisions based off emotions.  I really can’t see why this is so controversial to you...unless you are just incapable of viewing anything through a different lens.
Maybe we're getting somewhere with this, I don't know. I'm not sure who suggested we make emotional decisions, I was saying that you stated the decision was made that we have mismatched pieces. Is that emotional? Why keep mismatched pieces? There are lots of ways to solve problems, you're right. Do we keep Rondo because we can figure out how he works on this team? That was a mismatched piece to me. Do we keep Delon Wright? That seemed like a mismatched piece. Do we KNOW we have mismatched pieces yet? That's my ultimate question. I don't think we can possibly know that yet.
Like Reply
I'm calm but not positive.  I think it is an underestimation of Luka's character to think that he's going to be anything but a professional while he is under contract, so we have this year and the next 2 at least to try and fix this shit.  I thought we were going to be good this year, things have really fallen apart and there is not a lot of room for error in the west.  I feel like the goal this season was to win a playoff series, I am not positive about that happening and that's disappointing because my expectations were really high going into the year.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I feel like we're having 2 different conversations. The one in your mind, and the one in mine...I guess. I restated above what my original issue with your statements were (I saw them  as contradicting and was basically asking for clarification, which you went on to not address). I don't see why we would want to resync and see what we have, if we know we have mismatched pieces.
Help me better understand how I can clarify and I will be happy to.  I will take a stab and you can let me know if it is still confusing.

As I said, I think we have many pieces that are somewhat one dimensional (miss-matched...maybe the wrong verbiage).  To add additional context on why that is my perspective, I believe we have 2 primary bigs that love the 3 more than the paint.  I believe that KP could use some help to cover some of his deficiencies.  I believe DFS is a defender that has marginal offensive capabilities and will likely not shoot at a high enough volume to be impactful.  I believe that THJ’s is a streaky offensive player with marginal defensive impact.  I believe JR is great on defense and pretty solid on offense.  Lastly, I believe that outside of Luka, we are lacking on facilitators/creators.  If everyone is on, we are tough to beat.  However, if we are not, I believe we have problems. For example, in the first game against Utah, Bog had 6 points and we got smoked.  In the second game, THJ had 2 points and we got smoked.  Not his fault but I believe we don’t have the resources to cover for those situations.

Also, I stated that my thinking on the need to improve is related to the pay Luka schedule.  If the problem exists (and others are welcome to disagree) do I think we need to fix every problem...no.  I believe you solve for the biggest need and move forward.  I also believe that fixing one thing often solves for other things.  Again, these are my perspectives and there are folks on this board much more knowledgeable than I.

I hope that helps.  My intention was not to get into a pissin’ contest but to just try to be positive while expressing my belief that we are not quite where we hope to be.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 07:55 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'm not sure who suggested we make emotional decisions.
It was me that made the suggestion in my original post...actually I said my hope was that the MBT doesn’t do anything drastic which in my mind meant based off emotion.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 08:21 PM)RDB Wrote: we have many pieces that are somewhat one dimensional (miss-matched...maybe the wrong verbiage). 
This cleared it all up for me. I'm good. Ya, one dimensional is different than mismatched in my mind. We do have a lot of one dimensional players I agree. I think that's why they are best as bench players who can be subbed in based on the deficiencies we have in the moment of any particular game. I think that's a really good thing to have...on the bench.
Like Reply
I think Mavs have had a rough go with Covid stuff coupled with KP underpefroming and Rick figuring out his rotations. I wonder how many wins we could have squeezed out if Rick had figured out Powell quicker than he did.

KP has not been great but I like what I have seen from the Mavs the past couple games. Mavs just couldn't pull those games out. I am not sure if Mavs can make the playoffs but the games are more watchable for sure.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 08:47 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This cleared it all up for me. I'm good. Ya, one dimensional is different than mismatched in my mind. We do have a lot of one dimensional players I agree. I think that's why they are best as bench players who can be subbed in based on the deficiencies we have in the moment of any particular game. I think that's a really good thing to have...on the bench.
Perfect...the problem with text is you know what you mean but it may not always translate.  

Now that I know what was confusing, I’ll give a few examples of what I meant by miss-matched.  In my view, if your star big shoots at a high volume with a poor % for his position or your primary 3pt threat is good but streaky, they either need to provide higher level skills in other areas or you probably need higher level support to fill those voids.  Same with DFS and Maxi...one an excellent shooter, the other marginal, but neither have historically shot at high enough volumes to consistently support your streaky primary shooters.  I think the combination of Curry plus career shooting years from THJ, DFS, and Maxi covered for some of the inconsistencies last year but one is gone and it is probably not realistic to use the career years as the new baseline for the others.  Maybe I should have said one dimensional but in the wrong areas.

It’s kind of like the debate on the other thread around whether Beal’s offensive strengths can overcome his defensive weaknesses.  If we can’t cover those deficiencies elsewhere, despite him being an excellent player he may be a miss-matched piece for our team.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 09:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think Mavs have had a rough go with Covid stuff coupled with KP underpefroming and Rick figuring out his rotations. I wonder how many wins we could have squeezed out if Rick had figured out Powell quicker than he did.

KP has not been great but I like what I have seen from the Mavs the past couple games. Mavs just couldn't pull those games out. I am not sure if Mavs can make the playoffs but the games are more watchable for sure.
I agree...and would add the lack of an off-season.  The NFL season was strange as well and after the fact, Jerry said he regretted implementing a new defensive scheme without proper prep time.  To a lesser extent, the Mav’s have also had somewhat of a philosophical change with limited prep time.  I would think that has to have some type of impact.
Like Reply
(02-02-2021, 01:11 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I blame it on the defensive player of the game award that is only given out after wins. I suspect Willie is secretly tanking games to ensure he never loses his fancy belt.

WCS is playing some serious 4D chess then. He's somehow tanking games while having the second best net rating on the team at +8.5. Quite a trick. 

Maxi is a distant third best at +1.7
Like Reply