Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 105, Suns 111
(01-31-2021, 01:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so not what I thought it was. Thanks for the clarification. This was the biggest mystery of the entire game for me, and I agree - it IS a clown show.

I would change the word "it" in your comment to "he" meaning cuban is the clown show.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I do think we need a trade to consolidate, as always. I think James Johnson has his value as an enforcer, but I've started to come around on moving on from him to acquire either a big or a reliable scoring guard off the bench. JJ's value isn't that high so I don't know who he could realistically fetch. The only one that comes to mind is Drummond and the salary matching is weird there.

So, to me, this is a crossroads. 

All of our thinking around here for months and months has been an effort to find ways of turning Mavs assets into roster upgrades that can help them get better and closer to competing with the league's top teams. IF KP is who we thought he was, that's sane. If KP is the non-playable guy he has been over the last two weeks, on a max contract, that ship has sailed. This iteration of the Mavs is done, in that scenario, and it would mean that they need to start rebuilding around Luka from scratch as soon as possible, imo. 

How the Johnson, THJ and Richardson contracts are used will tell us a great deal about how the MBT views the situation, I think.

(01-31-2021, 02:18 PM)chaparral Wrote: I would change the word "it" in your comment to "he" meaning cuban is the clown show.

Quite right, but for all practical purposes, "he" IS "it."
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: How the Johnson, THJ and Richardson contracts are used will tell us a great deal about how the MBT views the situation, I think.

Thankfully the Mavs don't need to do anything until Mar 25 at earliest. But I absolutely agree that the trade deadline will tell us quite a bit about their thinking.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: f the Mavs end up going a different direction than KP, these two guys are HIGH on my list of desirable bigs. I really think Luka is currently better with a traditional big.

See, I can't say I totally disagree, but I THINK I feel like 1998 is closer to correct. I think the issue is more about screening, and not quite so much about what happens afterwards. Prime Dirk wasn't much of a roller, but he'd be a MUCH better pairing with Luka than KP has been, so far. 

Not meant to downplay the positives of the two players mentioned, Adams and Nurkic. I just don't think it MUST be a roller.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just don't think it MUST be a roller.

Sure, I am not speaking in any absolutes. I just think "currently" (the language I used) that Luka is better with a more traditional, big who screens and rolls. Ideally I would want a big like Jokic who could do both.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ideally I would want a big like Jokic who could do both.

He's not a center, and he's not as impactful as Jokic, but Collins can do both. I really have a feeling he'd be great with Luka. 

As much as I hate watching Trae Young (eww) I'm going to have to find time to watch Atlanta a bit so I can analyze his game a bit more.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Collins

Yeah I haven't watched him enough, but the numbers tell me he is a good player.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, I can't say I totally disagree, but I THINK I feel like 1998 is closer to correct. I think the issue is more about screening, and not quite so much about what happens afterwards. Prime Dirk wasn't much of a roller, but he'd be a MUCH better pairing with Luka than KP has been, so far. 

Not meant to downplay the positives of the two players mentioned, Adams and Nurkic. I just don't think it MUST be a roller.

Adams vs Nurkic 

Who do you think Luka would pick?  Wasn't Nurkic in that Balkans photo from the bubble.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:40 PM)chaparral Wrote: Wasn't Nurkic in that Balkans photo from the bubble.

Front and left!

[Image: F6687796-E50E-422F-9C04-1A22605AB414-1024x512.jpeg]
Like Reply
[Image: luka-doncic-of-the-dallas-mavericks-and-...1201938896]
[Image: usa_today_11788986.0.jpg]
[Image: luka-doncic-of-the-dallas-mavericks-hugs...1228007593]
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: luka-doncic-of-the-dallas-mavericks-and-...1201938896]

This is why we should want no part of Nurk.  Dude is snake bitten.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:48 PM)cow Wrote: This is why we should want no part of Nurk.  Dude is snake bitten.

I agree. The suit is pretty terrible. Maybe if he gets some fashion training.
Like Reply
Nurkic might be the one guy who's more injury prone than KP.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree. The suit is pretty terrible. Maybe if he gets some fashion training.

He'll always have plenty of opportunity to break out new suits while he's rehabbing his latest injury.
Like Reply
But Nurkic is on a $12M/yr contract and is likely attainable. And here are his injuries:

01/14/2021 Wrist
01/11/2021 Quad
03/25/2019 Leg Fracture
01/30/2019 Right Knee Soreness
03/22/2018 Sore Lower Back
02/12/2018 Low Back Soreness
02/01/2018 Bruised Left Quadriceps
12/07/2017 Sprained Right Ankle

No reason to think his luck can't change.
Like Reply
He's trending in the wrong direction from an availability standpoint. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him but I also wouldn't spend anything of value to obtain him.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But Nurkic is on a $12M/yr contract and is likely attainable. And here are his injuries:

01/14/2021 Wrist
01/11/2021 Quad
03/25/2019 Leg Fracture
01/30/2019 Right Knee Soreness
03/22/2018 Sore Lower Back
02/12/2018 Low Back Soreness
02/01/2018 Bruised Left Quadriceps
12/07/2017 Sprained Right Ankle

No reason to think his luck can't change.

OK, its a big no for Nurkic.  

But speaking of photo ops or vids.  I see Luka with Boban, Luka with Maxi & Boban, Luka trick shots in practice and Luka signing on the balcony with other players.  All without KP.  Are there any off court pics of vis of Luka and KP?
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:14 PM)chaparral Wrote: But speaking of photo ops or vids.  I see Luka with Boban, Luka with Maxi & Boban, Luka trick shots in practice and Luka signing on the balcony with other players.  All without KP.  Are there any off court pics of vis of Luka and KP?

Yeah, for sure. It's ALL speculation, either way, but I think it's possible that a lot of this simply has to do with people not getting along so well. 

If so, it's ridiculous...but fixable.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:14 PM)chaparral Wrote: Are there any off court pics of vis of Luka and KP?

I've never seen one. In fact I don't think I have ever seen an off-court pic of KP with any teammate at any point in his career.

But I do miss this energy:

[Image: luka-and-porzingis-1.jpg]
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If so, it's ridiculous...but fixable.

Maybe, maybe not.  KP's always said the right thing when it comes to Luka.  He's very polished, either naturally or by training, when dealing with the media.  But if his desires are to be "that dude", playing second fiddle to Wonder Boy might be a tough pill to swallow and playing with someone as ball dominate as Luka is going to be challenging for any star level player.  And while I know it was the Knicks (lol) and all, KP's shown the side of being a bit of a malcontent.  

And speaking of difficulty playing next to Luka, I've been starting to think the ideal pairings for him aren't other young/prime stars.  I think he'd be better served with a team full of Robert Covington level players (why DFS and Maxi look so good with him) and then an aging star a la Chris Paul. And if that's the case, would you give Detroit a call and see if there as a deal to be had with the principles being KP and Grant?
Like Reply