Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 105, Suns 111
(01-31-2021, 02:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No reason to think his luck can't change.

One can really say the same exact thing about KP no?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:31 PM)cow Wrote: And speaking of difficulty playing next to Luka, I've been starting to think the ideal pairings for him aren't other young/prime stars.  I think he'd be better served with a team full of Robert Covington level players

I absolutely have said since Luka's rookie season that he is best surrounded by role players who play the right way. I think a 2nd star is important, but it needs to be the right kind of guy who can fit with Luka's style.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: One can really say the same exact thing about KP no?

No.  I'd take Nurk's injury history over KP's from a severity standpoint.  Nurk's frame and height also worry me a little less.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: One can really say the same exact thing about KP no?

Of course. Have I ever said otherwise?
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think a 2nd star is important, but it needs to be the right kind of guy who can fit with Luka's style.

That's why I'm starting to come around on John Collins.  He's not on KP's level of stardom and would easily benefit playing alongside Luka.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:38 PM)cow Wrote: No.  I'd take Nurk's injury history over KP's from a severity standpoint.  Nurk's frame and height also worry me a little less.

Powell for Nurkic works money wise.  Would the board do that trade?
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:48 PM)cow Wrote: That's why I'm starting to come around on John Collins.

I have always been "in" on John Collins, I just never saw a realistic path toward acquiring him.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:51 PM)chaparral Wrote: Powell for Nurkic works money wise.  Would the board do that trade?

I would, but I only do that if I get RC's commitment to try to play him alongside KP. Otherwise I see Nurkic as a target if the Mavs ever move on from KP.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I have always been "in" on John Collins, I just never saw a realistic path toward acquiring him.

People like to throw KP in the mix for trade ideas of late.

(01-31-2021, 03:51 PM)chaparral Wrote: Powell for Nurkic works money wise.  Would the board do that trade?

Portland says no.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would, but I only do that if I get RC's commitment to try to play him alongside KP. Otherwise I see Nurkic as a target if the Mavs ever move on from KP.

RC's commitment?  Do you think Donny makes trades without it?
Like Reply
Quote:Cuban was moved to comment on the state of the team before the game. He undertook to give unhappy fans some facts about COVID. DFS had said it felt like a very severe cold, but Cuban says it is not like a cold, where a person is ready to go as soon as it is over with, and described it as “brutal.” 

He pointed out that the time between a positive diagnosis and returning to play is about three weeks, and two of those involve “sitting in a room” and not being active, and then there are more days before the player can be around the team. They have had one of the worst outbreaks in the league, and he opined that things were going to look “out of balance” for a while. 

Really difficult I think to make roster moves based on this season.  The pandemic and how it happens to affect your team is a much bigger part of the story than the league and maybe anybody wants to talk about. Being a respiratory disease obviously impacts athletics much more than other sicknesses or even many other injuries, and some of that is still unknown. 

Players and coaches want to focus on the things they can control and the virus is not always one of them.  As Cuban pointed out, the Mavs have been hit harder than other teams at this point.  

This is arguably much more of an aberration of a season than the bubble was where at least most players were playing healthy and could safely get together among themselves.  The luck of the pandemic draw is definitely affecting the Mavs.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 04:04 PM)chaparral Wrote: RC's commitment?  Do you think Donny makes trades without it?

Something, something, Rajon Rondo, grumble, grumble.  MBT and Carlisle often seem out of step.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 03:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Of course. Have I ever said otherwise?

Wasn't intending that you had said otherwise, moreso to point out if we have the option to trade for another high injury prone center versus keeping the one we got, I'd rather just keep the one we have instead of investing more assets.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 04:07 PM)cow Wrote: Something, something, Rajon Rondo, grumble, grumble.  MBT and Carlisle often seem out of step.

Besides Rondo, who else did Carlisle really disagree with? To this day, it seems to be the only example. Even then, I do not think Carlisle would veto the trade if proposed. He treated Jae Crowder like a bench scrub.

Carlisle is very hands on with the team building, imo; Powell's contract extension had Carlisle written all over it. Combo guards like Delon Wright, Trey Burke being priority signings in free agency. Letting lazy Parsons go had plenty of Carlisle influence, imo. Carlisle salivated all over DSJ during the draft, stating he was the #1 PG, doing back flips with the rest of the MBT. So on and so forth.

The pieces on the roster is exactly what Carlisle wants right now.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 05:10 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Besides Rondo, who else did Carlisle really disagree with? To this day, it seems to be the only example. Even then, I do not think Carlisle would veto the trade if proposed. He treated Jae Crowder like a bench scrub.

Carlisle is very hands on with the team building, imo; Powell's contract extension had Carlisle written all over it. Combo guards like Delon Wright, Trey Burke being priority signings in free agency. Letting lazy Parsons go had plenty of Carlisle influence, imo. Carlisle salivated all over DSJ during the draft, stating he was the #1 PG, doing back flips with the rest of the MBT. So on and so forth.

The pieces on the roster is exactly what Carlisle wants right now.

Delon Wright S&T.  Maybe that's more forgivable as it seemed like a last ditch effort in the offseason but we sure seemed to give up on him rather quickly.
Like Reply