Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
Heh. To some extent, I’m just a homer. I know. But I just can’t watch a game and agree with the posters who think WCS is valuable and DP is trash. I see the opposite. 

Would love to be wrong about WCS. But I can’t see him playing ahead of current Dwight in a playoff matchup. Far less a Dwight who continues to, incrementally, improve.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 05:40 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Heh. To some extent, I’m just a homer. I know. But I just can’t watch a game and agree with the posters who think WCS is valuable and DP is trash. I see the opposite. 

Would love to be wrong about WCS. But I can’t see him playing ahead of current Dwight in a playoff matchup. Far less a Dwight who continues to, incrementally, improve.

As founding member and president of the WCS is trash fan club, let me say welcome aboard.   That said and as painful as it is to admit, WCS has had more nice moments and complete games that DP.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 05:44 PM)cow Wrote: As founding member and president of the WCS is trash fan club, let me say welcome aboard.   That said and as painful as it is to admit, WCS has had more nice moments and complete games that DP.
SUBTLE... Damming with faint praise!!!
Like Reply
I'm sure the Mavs are looking for execs in other front offices who share the rosy valuations of Powell that some of you have here in this thread. And my guess is that they are having a really hard time finding such a guy.

If I ran a team, I couldn't find any good reason to trade for him - could you? I think the Mavs are stuck unless they can find a team who has a player they hate even more.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 10:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm sure the Mavs are looking for execs in other front offices who share the rosy valuations of Powell that some of you have here in this thread. And my guess is that they are having a really hard time finding such a guy.

If I ran a team, I couldn't find any good reason to trade for him - could you? I think the Mavs are stuck unless they can find a team who has a player they hate even more.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 10:17 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm sure the Mavs are looking for execs in other front offices who share the rosy valuations of Powell that some of you have here in this thread. And my guess is that they are having a really hard time finding such a guy.

The reason would be your line of thinking.
And the team trading for him would be paid to take him and then have him back as a player next year. He is the kind of guy I would be looking to swap  JJohnson with.

I like him much better than any expiring this year after the deathline as much teams should.

I don't get the obsession with his contract. I don't want to have anything to do with capspace anyway and if he is needed as a filler these extra millions will come handy.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 10:31 PM)Mapka Wrote: The reason would be your line of thinking.
And the team trading for him would be paid to take him and then have him back as a player next year. He is the kind of guy I would be looking to swap  JJohnson with.

I like him much better than any expiring this year after the deathline as much teams should.

I don't get the obsession with his contract. I don't want to have anything to do with capspace anyway and if he is needed as a filler these extra millions will come handy.

Contracts are a big factor in a player's value. How much of your payroll do they consume? What will some other team pay to get him from you at that cost?

I see what you are saying is you would do that Powell deal - what remains of it - right now, again, knowing what you know. (Because you'd rather have that over an empty roster slot.) Hmm.

I certainly would not.

I do think the Mavs are hoping someone in the NBA would be of that mindset as you. But consider the Cavs and Drummond. I strongly suspect the Mavs offered Powell, Johnson, and probably a pick. But Cleveland would rather waive AD and pay him in full, than make that deal and be saddled with 2 more years of DP.

Also, DP's not of any value as trade filler, since he's not on an expiring contract. With 2 more years on his deal after this one, that's the opposite of "filler" - he has to be worth his contract, or the other team will balk at getting stuck with him. Johnson right now can be filler. DP definitely is not, and won't be until forever.

I have to ask, is what he offers worth 11M a year for the rest of this year, and 2 more? He's a 2nd or 3rd string center, and those are all dirt cheap. Or at least they should be. To me that's a huge no - it's not even close - and that's a problem given he is not that productive AND he can't be moved to another team.

Just as importantly, I think the chance that he gets "better" is more likely than not --- BUT that he ever again produces to be worth that 11M (or anywhere in that vicinity) is almost nonexistent.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 01:46 AM)F Gump Wrote: Contracts are a big factor in a player's value. How much of your payroll do they consume? What will some other team pay to get him from you at that cost?

I see what you are saying is you would do that Powell deal - what remains of it - right now, again, knowing what you know. (Because you'd rather have that over an empty roster slot.) Hmm.

I certainly would not.

I do think the Mavs are hoping someone in the NBA would be of that mindset as you. But consider the Cavs and Drummond. I strongly suspect the Mavs offered Powell, Johnson, and probably a pick. But Cleveland would rather waive AD and pay him in full, than make that deal and be saddled with 2 more years of DP.

Also, DP's not of any value as trade filler, since he's not on an expiring contract. With 2 more years on his deal after this one, that's the opposite of "filler" - he has to be worth his contract, or the other team will balk at getting stuck with him. Johnson right now can be filler. DP definitely is not, and won't be until forever.

I have to ask, is what he offers worth 11M a year for the rest of this year, and 2 more? He's a 2nd or 3rd string center, and those are all dirt cheap. Or at least they should be. To me that's a huge no - it's not even close - and that's a problem given he is not that productive AND he can't be moved to another team.

Just as importantly, I think the chance that he gets "better" is more likely than not --- BUT that he ever again produces to be worth that 11M (or anywhere in that vicinity) is almost nonexistent.

Yeah, you can see it like I would do this contract again. But I would make the last year a team option now.

We didn't have any use for cap space since we signed the contract. And that's not by random. If it's not for GA, it's pretty much better to be over the cap than to be under. 

We don't know about the Drummond Talks. As I know the Cavs could be still hoping for a pick and the Mavs only want a buyout. 

I'm talking as filler next draft or trade deathline.
Like Reply
I like Powell but it would be great if Mavs could dump his salary.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 08:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I like Powell but it would be great if Mavs could dump his salary.

I know it's been mentioned before, but IF the Mavs dump Powell for nothing, what would their theoretical max cap be? It'd be around 43 mil if they renounce almost everyone right?

I don't see how the Mavs can keep either THJ or JRich's holds (THJ more so than JRich) when they're holds are 29 mil and 17 mil respectively, even with a Powell dump. 

I guess if the Mavs renounce THJ's hold they'd be really close to max cap room at around 28 mil.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 09:23 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I know it's been mentioned before, but IF the Mavs dump Powell for nothing, what would their theoretical max cap be? It'd be around 43 mil if they renounce almost everyone right?

I don't see how the Mavs can keep either THJ or JRich's holds (THJ more so than JRich) when they're holds are 29 mil and 17 mil respectively, even with a Powell dump. 

I guess if the Mavs renounce THJ's hold they'd be really close to max cap room at around 28 mil.

Sign the one you are keeping first.  Do it to a number that leaves $28mm.  Unfortunately, the other probably won't wait around to see how those RFA offers work out (see Chandler, Tyson).
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 09:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Sign the one you are keeping first.  Do it to a number that leaves $28mm.  Unfortunately, the other probably won't wait around to see how those RFA offers work out (see Chandler, Tyson).

Right that's what I was coming to gripes with. That means the next contract of either JRich or THJ would have to be a max starting salary of 15mm. 

Given the relative lack of suitors this summer I think that's doable. But like you said I think that means the Mavs will almost certainly lose 1, and could likely lose both if they're both money whipped.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Big night for Dwight! He’s busting his butt to make Jommybone look smart here. Least I can do is update his numbers:

20-21 stats by month (excluding small sample December)

Minutes: 17.5 (Jan), 11.9 (Feb), 11.9 (Mar)

Points/min: .24, .36, .45 (compare .35 last season)

Rebounds: 3.6, 2.9, 3.9

Rebounds/min .21, .24, .33 (.28 career season high)

FG%: 41.7, 40.0, 64.0 (last year’s 63.8 only time in the 60’s)

FT%: 50, 86, 89 (never finished a season in the 80s)
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 01:16 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Big night for Dwight! He’s busting his butt to make Jommybone look smart here. Least I can do is update his numbers:

20-21 stats by month (excluding small sample December)

Minutes: 17.5 (Jan), 11.9 (Feb), 11.9 (Mar)

Points/min: .24, .36, .45 (compare .35 last season)

Rebounds: 3.6, 2.9, 3.9

Rebounds/min .21, .24, .33 (.28 career season high)

FG%: 41.7, 40.0, 64.0 (last year’s 63.8 only time in the 60’s)

FT%: 50, 86, 89 (never finished a season in the 80s)

He's also shooting 40% on 3's in March.  Before we get too excited, that is 2/5 (Small Sample Size Alert!).

In 8 games in March (all of which have not been gems), his TS% is .725 and his O-Rating is 151 (what?).  That is a huge reversal of what I thought was his biggest issue earlier in the year.  His defensive numbers have been good (the team is 9.7 points better defensively when Powell is in, but that might be more about KP being bad than Powell being good).  But, his O-Rating was atrocious compared to Powell's stellar history on that stat.  

Before we get too excited about the last two games, most of Powell's damage has come in the 4th quarters of games that weren't especially close.  I personally don't think WCS has the ability to keep the light-bulb on consistently.  I'd love to see Powell take back the role of backup big.  Powell at 19 minutes last night means we aren't quite at a 3 man big rotation.  He had Maxi next to him for almost the entire time he was in, but 19 minutes means we are also getting some minutes when KP and DFS are the bigs.  That combo hasn't been good defensively (119.5) this season.  I'd love to see a breakdown of KP/DFS with and without Maxi.
Like Reply
DanSchwar, good advice. I’m taking all DP numbers with a grain of salt. But that includes his first couple months of disappointing play. At the moment, I see no reason to assume he won’t return to form. Couldn’t have said that awhile back.
Like Reply
Headed into next year Powell has a chance to come back as the 3rd main big in our KP, Maxi, Powell rotation. With Powell's injury, WCS took that role most of the year but it appears Powell is getting it back. He looks really good. Still has the same limitations he has always had but I could see the Mavs penciling him in as the "third" big to begin the season next year. It would be good to replace WCS with someone who is a better rebounder. Harrell might be available bc the Lakers might roll with Drummond at the MLE. Harrell also might have multiple suitors. If Harrell did join the Mavs he would likely be the third big with Powell losing out once again and becoming a dump candidate.

With Powell looking better Mavs will likely prioritize finding a scorer/playmaker first with their cap space or retaining THJ, J Rich. They don't have a huge hole at center if Powell is back doing Powell things.

That means you could upgrade one or both of THJ, Rich + potentially find a WCS upgrade.
Like Reply
Just saw this and figured I would share. Respect to Dwight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usTsphNE2zc
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(04-02-2021, 12:07 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Just saw this and figured I would share. Respect to Dwight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usTsphNE2zc

Good video.  It's a big reason why he got the contract he got and why I really didn't mind at the time, even if it was an overpay.  In the long run, I think he'll be a Mav in some capacity if he chooses to do so.
Like Reply
One big use for DP I noticed was during one of those low energy Mavs games. The Mavs came out flat and uninspired. Making me want to throw something at the TV. Then Rick put Powell in. All that changed. Suddenly there was hustle and movement where there had been none before. I generally bemoan the fact that Powell seems to be hurried or rushed to the detriment of his shot, having me wish he'd calm down and dial it back a bit. Relax and play within himself. Mostly I think Powell's downside is his energy, which is also his plus-side. Sometimes the Mavs need an Energizer Bunny to jumpstart the team. I think Powell is that.
Like Reply
Good dude that Powell.
Like Reply