Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
https://media.giphy.com/media/9dgnO4jts7.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 08:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Might be better than ever. Offense is getting close to the pre injury level and the defense is clearly better. Feels like his positional defense is way better and he is also doing a solid job around the rim. Something he never did prior to his injury.
Really thought that an achilles injury would end his career but he proved me wrong. Made some adjustments and found ways to contribute. No need for two-handed lob dunks. A layup is just as good.

This ability to adjust and find ways to contribute are probably because the guy is a pretty sharp individual.  Hence the Love everyone talks about the Mavs Organization having for him.   

My money is on the guy is an all around Professional at Life.
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 08:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Really thought that an achilles injury would end his career but he proved me wrong. Made some adjustments and found ways to contribute. No need for two-handed lob dunks. A layup is just as good.

I'm eating all the crow.

Waiting till the playoffs till I officially change my name to Powell Hero.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I'm happy to be wrong too.  It's really great to see an awesome person like Dwight Powell find his footing again.
Like Reply
Dwight update early May (6 games) because I am sitting at the airport with time to run the numbers. 

Minutes: 17.5 (Jan), 11.9 (Feb), 12.5 (Mar), 16.2 (Apr), 24.0 (May)
Points: 4.1, 4.3, 4.5, 6.6, 10.5 (compare 10.6 career season high)
Points/min: .24, .36, .36, .41, .44 (compare .35 last season)
Rebounds: 3.6, 2.9, 3.6, 3.9, 7.2 (compare 5.7 career season high)
Rebounds/min .21, .24, .29, .24, .30 (.28 career season high)
FG%: 41.7, 40.0, 58.1, 71.7, .79 (last year’s 63.8 only time in the 60’s)
FT%: 50, 86, 91, 72.0, .86 (never finished a season in the 80s)

First half of May he seriously looks like an All Star. 
Like Reply
May numbers are only 6 games (small sample size) and against mostly low level NBA teams (WAS, SAC, MIA, BKN, CLE, CLE) so that has to be factored into the evaluation. Let's see if these sort of numbers are still there once the playoffs begin.

But DP is certainly playing better right now than I thought was possible for him against ANYONE, and he's showing way more athleticism, all of which is incredibly encouraging. Most importantly, his energy has been a big factor and seems to have become contagious, which makes a big difference in the play. Kudos to him.

It's hard to know if all this will hold up against stiffer competition, but at least there's some promise.
Like Reply
F Gump,

I do not think Dwight is an all star player, now or ever. But yes, in a six game sample against Brooklyn, Miami, and crap, he has blown away expectations. Yours, mine, everyone’s, except maybe his own. Which is really cool.
Like Reply
(05-10-2021, 06:01 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I do not think Dwight is an all star player, now or ever. 

DP IS AN ALL-STAR ...in my heart...
Like Reply
(05-10-2021, 07:26 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: DP IS AN ALL-STAR ...in my heart...

DP is an All-Star human being.
Like Reply