Poll: Who gets the Dirkie? (vote AFTER the game)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
11.11%
2 11.11%
KP
83.33%
15 83.33%
Justin
0%
0 0%
Delon
0%
0 0%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
Jalen
0%
0 0%
THJ
5.56%
1 5.56%
DFS
0%
0 0%
Seth
0%
0 0%
Boban
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GAMETHREAD: DAL @ DET, Oct 9, 6:00 PM....KP is a "15" in excitement level
(10-10-2019, 12:27 PM)j0Shi Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:26 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 04:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Some additional thoughts:

KP and Luka took 18 shots each. The other three starters combined took 10. I think Luka and KP will have to involve others in a bigger extent, not just an occasional three here and there.

That was my main takeaway, too.  I have a feeling lots of teams will take the approach to let Luka get his and hope he becomes 3pt stepback happy, instead of going to the rim every time.

It's early and it didn't feel like the Mavs were playing a particular good team offense tbh. It was mainly just Luka running all sorts of high pick and rolls. Of course you want a good dose of that because he is elite at scoring and creating that way. But watching last season you also get that this type of system is too predictable and depending on Luka having a monster game on a nightly basis. That's why they have Wright as second creator and you can also run plays through KP in the post. I expect much more variance going forward. Otherwise this team will be as limited as last year, just will slightly better players.

It felt like, to me, that the team doesn't yet have much trust in each other. Especially Luka, but maybe that's hangover from last season where he felt he had to do so much himself.

Seeing will be believing though. KP's 18/7 in 20 minutes is pretty eye-opening. I think KP's going to create some Dirk-level gravity that will let everyone else relax and just play. A few games with the 2 and 3 (whoever fills the spots) hitting shots will help Luka evolve into the All Star level player we think he will become.

I'm also trying not to read too much into a first pre-season game. OKC doesn't count as much more than a scrimmage for the 2nd teamers.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAMETHREAD: DAL @ DET, Oct 9, 6:00 PM....KP is a "15" in excitement level - by michaeltex - 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM