Poll: Who gets the Dirkie? (vote AFTER the game)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
11.11%
2 11.11%
KP
83.33%
15 83.33%
Justin
0%
0 0%
Delon
0%
0 0%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
Jalen
0%
0 0%
THJ
5.56%
1 5.56%
DFS
0%
0 0%
Seth
0%
0 0%
Boban
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GAMETHREAD: DAL @ DET, Oct 9, 6:00 PM....KP is a "15" in excitement level
(10-10-2019, 12:27 PM)j0Shi Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:26 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 04:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Some additional thoughts:

KP and Luka took 18 shots each. The other three starters combined took 10. I think Luka and KP will have to involve others in a bigger extent, not just an occasional three here and there.

That was my main takeaway, too.  I have a feeling lots of teams will take the approach to let Luka get his and hope he becomes 3pt stepback happy, instead of going to the rim every time.

It's early and it didn't feel like the Mavs were playing a particular good team offense tbh. It was mainly just Luka running all sorts of high pick and rolls. Of course you want a good dose of that because he is elite at scoring and creating that way. But watching last season you also get that this type of system is too predictable and depending on Luka having a monster game on a nightly basis. That's why they have Wright as second creator and you can also run plays through KP in the post. I expect much more variance going forward. Otherwise this team will be as limited as last year, just will slightly better players.

It felt like, to me, that the team doesn't yet have much trust in each other. Especially Luka, but maybe that's hangover from last season where he felt he had to do so much himself.

Seeing will be believing though. KP's 18/7 in 20 minutes is pretty eye-opening. I think KP's going to create some Dirk-level gravity that will let everyone else relax and just play. A few games with the 2 and 3 (whoever fills the spots) hitting shots will help Luka evolve into the All Star level player we think he will become.

I'm also trying not to read too much into a first pre-season game. OKC doesn't count as much more than a scrimmage for the 2nd teamers.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Expectations for Delon were higher than they had any [W]right to be. He is a career bench player for a reason; don't let the "omg Lowry/Conley held him back" claims or "advanced analytics" fool ya. 

If he's gonna start, he needs to play an Andre Roberson or Iguodala lite (GS version) type role: all out on defense then slash with the occasional splash on offense. His ball handling is a luxury, less focus on that. 

Our offense should be great this season and we should probably double down on it. The defense looks like a lost cause. Take the D'antoni approach and go for broke imo.

Brunson should be starting, he is our best rim attacker by far. Luka can get inside but he has trouble finishing. Furthermore, Luka looks like he's doing too much out there again; need someone to create easier opportunities for him.

So you have Delon pigeon holed and have given up on having a defense after two preseason games? I'll give Delon and the defense a little more time, myself.

Regarding Brunson, his job is to run the show when Luka's on the bench. Those two will be staggered. I'm sure they'll play together some, but I think staggered is how they should be unless RC wants JJB to run the second unit full time.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 01:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Expectations for Delon were higher than they had any [W]right to be. He is a career bench player for a reason; don't let the "omg Lowry/Conley held him back" claims or "advanced analytics" fool ya. 

If he's gonna start, he needs to play an Andre Roberson or Iguodala lite (GS version) type role: all out on defense then slash with the occasional splash on offense. His ball handling is a luxury, less focus on that. 

Our offense should be great this season and we should probably double down on it. The defense looks like a lost cause. Take the D'antoni approach and go for broke imo.

Brunson should be starting, he is our best rim attacker by far. Luka can get inside but he has trouble finishing. Furthermore, Luka looks like he's doing too much out there again; need someone to create easier opportunities for him.

So you have Delon pigeon holed and have given up on having a defense after two preseason games? I'll give Delon and the defense a little more time, myself.

Regarding Brunson, his job is to run the show when Luka's on the bench. Those two will be staggered. I'm sure they'll play together some, but I think staggered is how they should be unless RC wants JJB to run the second unit full time.

I am a little nervous about Delon. I agree on Brunson, he will take over JJB's job running the 2nd unit.
Like Reply
"Pigeon holed"..... Let us really focus on not doing that! There is so much opportunity for roles and level of importance within the rotation that it is impossible to tell at this point who is going to rise up. Delon is definitely one of several guys who would like to earn a role well above what he has ever had. 

Opinions are as always fine as they are yours/ours. But my opinion is that I really am hoping and excitedly watching to see which of our guys surprise the heck out of us with the higher level of success they achieve on this team. 

Playing with Luka and KP combined with the fact no one else has a locked down role on this team almost certainly result in more than one player who rises up well beyond previous expectations. The candidates to move up significantly on the totem pole go well into our third 5 guys (11-15) and our two way contract guys aren't bad either. 

Finally, if we somehow win a playoff qualifying number of games, we all know guys 3-5 must do well. But I submit, that a return to the dominant level of our bench mob might be even more important for playoff qualification.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 11:24 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:17 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 11:10 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I fear Dwight has been promised the starting spot

Screw that, you can't do business that way

AGREE!!!

Rick and Donnie are smart. The way this roster is built, screams KP at C. It will happen... eventually.

Dwight is definitely starting on this team. As to who is the center and who is the PF, we have discussed a million times but Dwight is C on offense, PF on D and KP is the reverse.

Loving Jackson so far, I think he is your day 1 starter.

Doncic
Wright
Jackson
KP
Powell
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 03:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Dwight is definitely starting on this team. As to who is the center and who is the PF, we have discussed a million times but Dwight is C on offense, PF on D and KP is the reverse.

Thanks for the education SBJ. Silly of us to try to go deeper. We'll be sure to stick to the "facts", exactly as they've been presented a million times. Please start a thread that would allow us to come to you for clarification any time we get tempted to waiver from the obvious. You can set us straight.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 02:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

I am a little nervous about Delon. I agree on Brunson, he will take over JJB's job running the 2nd unit.
I'm more nervous in general about the defense than Delon. Delon's on a new team and has a bad hammy, I think the expectations on him are a bit high but I'm not worried about him yet. But I looked at this roster before preseason started and was already concerned that our defense wasn't going to be good. It's only preseason but these two games have done nothing to lessen my preexisting concerns
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 03:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Dwight is definitely starting on this team. As to who is the center and who is the PF, we have discussed a million times but Dwight is C on offense, PF on D and KP is the reverse.

Thanks for the education SBJ. Silly of us to try to go deeper. We'll be sure to stick to the "facts", exactly as they've been presented a million times. Please start a thread that would allow us to come to you for clarification any time we get tempted to waiver from the obvious. You can set us straight.

Lol I don't know why this is so controversial. Who do you think is starting, Boban?

(10-10-2019, 03:58 PM)MrGoat Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

I'm more nervous in general about the defense than Delon. Delon's on a new team and has a bad hammy, I think the expectations on him are a bit high but I'm not worried about him yet. But I looked at this roster before preseason started and was already concerned that our defense wasn't going to be good. It's only preseason but these two games have done nothing to lessen my preexisting concerns

Ya I don't think the defense is going to be great. We really need Delon to be a glove on defense to make this at least look passable.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 04:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Lol I don't know why this is so controversial. Who do you think is starting, Boban?

I don't think you were being controversial. You quoted the generally accepted, proposed starting lineup. I think you're probably right. It's just that your comment didn't have much to do with the conversation you responded to.

(10-10-2019, 04:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya I don't think the defense is going to be great. We really need Delon to be a glove on defense to make this at least look passable.

Delon, DFS (or maybe JJax) and KP in the starting lineup could create a pretty decent defensive lineup I think. If DP starts I think that hurts the D quite a bit, but maybe Delon, DFS and KP could overcome it.

I think Luka, Seth, Delon, DFS, KP would be a potent two way lineup.
Like Reply
The issue for me is that DFS just doesn't seem like an NBA starter to me. His offense isn't great and his defense isn't great.
Like Reply
I know this might anger some, but I am not that enamored with Justin Jackson.

On this team, we cannot have a guy putting in 37 minutes and have 1...ONE...rebound.  One this team, as constructed, we have to have everyone rebounding.  We can’t afford to have a 6’9” guy out there rebounding at a lower rate per minute than Seth Curry.  Curry has the same amount of rebounds as Jackson while playing 5 less minutes per game.

Just can’t see it.  I’d rather have Dodo even with the shooting woes because he defends about as well, but is a good rebounder, especially on the offensive end at the 3.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 06:51 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I know this might anger some, but I am not that enamored with Justin Jackson.

On this team, we cannot have a guy putting in 37 minutes and have 1...ONE...rebound.  One this team, as constructed, we have to have everyone rebounding.  We can’t afford to have a 6’9” guy out there rebounding at a lower rate per minute than Seth Curry.  Curry has the same amount of rebounds as Jackson while playing 5 less minutes per game.

Just can’t see it.  I’d rather have Dodo even with the shooting woes because he defends about as well, but is a good rebounder, especially on the offensive end at the 3.

DFS is a better defender I think. But it's hard to draw hard conclusions (about rebounding in this case) from a preseason game.
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 06:51 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I know this might anger some, but I am not that enamored with Justin Jackson.

Ya so that's a concern. His offense looks great and I saw him hustling on defense. He's tall and long, surely he can figure out how to rebound eventually right?
Like Reply
Somewhere, yesterday, I wrote that I was going to be rooting for THJ to find his happy place and have a good game.  Glad to see he did and I was proud to vote for him to win the Dirkie for this game.  He plays hard, does a lot of movement without the ball, is aggressive.  

It is a make or miss league.  For this game, he made shots, so he gets my praise.  It is only a bad shot if you aren't making them.  Steph Curry taught us that.  I am at least as worried about Luka's shot selection right now as I am THJ.  Going back to the end of last season, Luka has been pretty inefficient on threes - shooting under 25% the last month of the season, I think.  Being 2-8 wasn't what I was hoping for after an offseason of working on his shot, tbh.  I have seen too many videos of his wet jumper to settle for that!  haha.  

Bottom line for me, we need to be more consistent shooting or we aren't going to make the leap we all are hoping for this season!
Like Reply
(10-10-2019, 06:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

DFS is a better defender I think. But it's hard to draw hard conclusions (about rebounding in this case) from a preseason game.

You mean two preseason games...
Last season, he rebounded at the same rate per 36 minutes as Barea. 4.5 rebounds per 36.  For comparison, Luka is nearly 9 and DFS is 7.
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 06:22 AM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

You mean two preseason games...
Last season, he rebounded at the same rate per 36 minutes as Barea. 4.5 rebounds per 36.  For comparison, Luka is nearly 9 and DFS is 7.

Yes, hard to draw hard conclusions based on 2 preseason games. But it's much easier to draw conclusions based on a whole season. And he is down among the short guys in rebounds per 36 minutes. And it looks like that 4.5 per 36 is what he did his rookie year as well. It's not that surprising though. He seems to be almost all finesse, with not much physicality.
Like Reply