Poll: What is your initial desire (as it is today) for the future of DB.com boards?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Work with the Maven site and what they offer.
2.70%
1 2.70%
Have Fish redirect to this site from his main page.
43.24%
16 43.24%
Have a completely independent relationship from Fish.
45.95%
17 45.95%
Something outside the box.... (share in your post)
8.11%
3 8.11%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What should be the future of DB.com boards?
(09-22-2019, 03:38 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 02:55 AM)WillE Wrote: Has anyone read my last conversation with Matt Galatzan yesterday?

It seems they deleted it meanwhile, but the essence was: they're all under contract at maven, therefore won't direct traffic anywhere else and also can't decide about technical changes.

So I assume a real message board, like this place here, won't happen over there.

@Magickian: what's the status quo at your end?
I seems to be the case as far as I can tell...also they are in denial about this place having more discussion...also my calling out folks disappeared the other day...so far their big change was to add a DB.com tab that only shows the threads over there...

[Image: giphy.gif]

I am ready to move on. We just learned that this community has some awesome people capable of things that we never got from Fish and his staff. We don´t need Fish and there is no reason for us to direct traffic to his site or generate clicks for him. It is up to him and his team to come up with something that we want. If he continues to write decent articles about Mavs related stuff I might read them but I don´t feel a need to do anything else. We aren´t in his dept. It is up to him to put out a product if he wants to have a community at his new site.
He is a service provider. If the service isn´t good there is no reason for us to use it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 04:20 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am ready to move on. We just learned that this community has some awesome people that are capable of things that we never got from Fish and his staff. We don´t need Fish and there is no reason for us to direct traffic to his site or generate clicks for him. It is up to him and his team to come up with something that we want. If he continues to write decent articles about Mavs related stuff I might read them but I don´t feel a need to do anything else. We aren´t in his dept. It is up to him to put out a product if he wants to have a community at his new site.
He is a service provider. If the service isn´t good there is no reason for us to use it.

It's weird that fish doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency. Maybe he was freaking out more behind the scenes, but he certainly hasn't shown it.  
We'll see if Maven gets an upgrade, but this place is the clear winner so far.
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 05:03 AM)Jym Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 04:20 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am ready to move on. We just learned that this community has some awesome people that are capable of things that we never got from Fish and his staff. We don´t need Fish and there is no reason for us to direct traffic to his site or generate clicks for him. It is up to him and his team to come up with something that we want. If he continues to write decent articles about Mavs related stuff I might read them but I don´t feel a need to do anything else. We aren´t in his dept. It is up to him to put out a product if he wants to have a community at his new site.

It's weird that fish doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency. Maybe he was freaking out more behind the scenes, but he certainly hasn't shown it.  
We'll see if Maven gets an upgrade, but this place is the clear winner so far.

He is now a part of a much bigger wheel that will roll with or without him, so any attempt at sweeping change like he might actually think he's supposed to get will either take a lot more time (where he can get the buy in from the "bosses" who don't care until he proves he's worth it) or won't happen at all. In general his replies have followed this thinking, to me.
Like Reply
I have a few concerns regarding how this is unraveling and is pretty concerned about the state of this community as a whole. Here's a few things i think are probably not mentioned much:

1. The situation right now is that the forum regulars (which generally hang out here and back in db.com) dont find the new site reasonable to use. Hence sticking to here.
2. Issue is the reverse for general fanbase. This forum is good, but there is literally close no to accessibility and marketability for this forum, and over time this means that it'll end up being a private forum that will slowly grow more deserted over the years. The draw factor of db.com in comparison to say mavs reddit for me isnt simply the simplicity or the forum layout. It's the fact that writers like Dlord or Trigg turn up every now and then to post on the forum. Divorcing the forum from the staff means cutting off this line of contact with general fanbase, which is something i dont want to see happening.
3. My personal preference, as with most people, would obviously be to have this literally pasted over into the new maven site, but that's found to be totally unrealistic. So what's the next best alternative? Even redirecting seems to be not an option for fish and crew at this point, so we're looking at either independence or any other alternative.
4. My suggestion would be to look for a site with writers and articles which also needs viewership, and most of all, an active community. This is something which is actually going to generate revenue, and is something which sites want. Thing is, it must be on our terms, i.e. forum layout, and it must be mavs focused. 
5. Then i realized. Mavs.com does not have a forum. It has had a comment section with Facebook on its articles for years. And the activity rate isnt high. But from the looks of it, it has been expanding, especially when it comes to the number of writers, and we are pretty familiar with a lot of them, so why try and set up a link with the Mavs itself to literally move this whole forum over to the mavs main site. We get our forum, the Mavs get an active community that can spur interest and discussion on their main site itself. 

TL;DR: Why not reach out to the Mavs main site itself to see whether they are interested in setting up a forum, and the whole lot of us just move base there?
Like Reply
This community at Mavs.com would be THE DREAM!

And it makes so much sense - I hope peeps over there will think the same. We should definitely reach out to them. Does anyone have direct connections to someone over there?
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 07:32 AM)Xeroze Wrote: I have a few concerns regarding how this is unraveling and is pretty concerned about the state of this community as a whole. Here's a few things i think are probably not mentioned much:

1. The situation right now is that the forum regulars (which generally hang out here and back in db.com) dont find the new site reasonable to use. Hence sticking to here.
2. Issue is the reverse for general fanbase. This forum is good, but there is literally close no to accessibility and marketability for this forum, and over time this means that it'll end up being a private forum that will slowly grow more deserted over the years. The draw factor of db.com in comparison to say mavs reddit for me isnt simply the simplicity or the forum layout. It's the fact that writers like Dlord or Trigg turn up every now and then to post on the forum. Divorcing the forum from the staff means cutting off this line of contact with general fanbase, which is something i dont want to see happening.
3. My personal preference, as with most people, would obviously be to have this literally pasted over into the new maven site, but that's found to be totally unrealistic. So what's the next best alternative? Even redirecting seems to be not an option for fish and crew at this point, so we're looking at either independence or any other alternative.
4. My suggestion would be to look for a site with writers and articles which also needs viewership, and most of all, an active community. This is something which is actually going to generate revenue, and is something which sites want. Thing is, it must be on our terms, i.e. forum layout, and it must be mavs focused. 
5. Then i realized. Mavs.com does not have a forum. It has had a comment section with Facebook on its articles for years. And the activity rate isnt high. But from the looks of it, it has been expanding, especially when it comes to the number of writers, and we are pretty familiar with a lot of them, so why try and set up a link with the Mavs itself to literally move this whole forum over to the mavs main site. We get our forum, the Mavs get an active community that can spur interest and discussion on their main site itself. 

TL;DR: Why not reach out to the Mavs main site itself to see whether they are interested in setting up a forum, and the whole lot of us just move base there?

My thought on why this hadn't happened with Fish himself (because I believe a while back this was in discussion with him and Mark) is because the headache of keeping a community board happy isn't worth the revenue it would produce. In other words, if the Dallas Mavs organization bans a poster (or any other number of negatives that can happen), the benefits don't outweigh the consequences.

Not a bad idea and if someone has the right contacts or skills to get to a decision-maker on this, it would be pretty cool to be associated with the team itself.

As far as the whole premise, I pretty much get it, but I've seen DLord and others post on other boards, I think their view point is just like Fifteenth has said, they'll go where the discussion is good. We have a lot of the posters here now that kept a lot of newcomers scared of posting because of their higher level thought process, which is why I've always been hooked. There has been discussion about guys who have some experience with SEO that offered to help. 

There are examples of thriving independent team communities out there, so the need to be attached to something else, I don't think, is as dire as you might be suggesting.
Like Reply
If ClutchFans can be successful why can't we be also?...

Fish just left another comment on Maven...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 01:06 PM)balldontliez Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 07:32 AM)Xeroze Wrote: I have a few concerns regarding how this is unraveling and is pretty concerned about the state of this community as a whole. Here's a few things i think are probably not mentioned much:

Heres a little history: dallasbasketball.com was the mavs.com message board. the domain name was owned by Mark Cuban and leased to fish. It is now owned by the CTO of the dallas mavericks and mavs.com. i can show you this if you dont believe me. 

A few years ago, i would have agreed its hard to funnel a new audience to a forum. But as twitter has grown, not so much. I know a little about SEO and if needed I can provide some temporary content as time permits. THere are lik 3-5 national sports personalities that provide nearly all the scoops these days. anyone can write an article as soon as wojbomb drops. anyone can use basketball reference. some of us understan the salary cap. and to be honest, most of what drove db was the community and not the content, especially in recent years when we saw less from indepth dlord cap breakdown and more fluff about luka's vacations from young unrpoven writers working for beer money and experience as fish's focus shifted to dallas cowboys.

Domain Name: DALLASBASKETBALL.COM
Registry Domain ID: 17389145_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2018-06-01T16:02:58Z
Creation Date: 2000-01-12T22:43:19Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-01-12T22:43:18Z
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: DALLAS BASKETBALL LTD
Registrant Organization: DALLAS BASKETBALL LTD
Registrant Street: 1333 N STEMMONS FWY STE 105
Registrant City: DALLAS
Registrant State/Province: TX
Registrant Postal Code: 75207-3722
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.2146587124
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.231231234
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: david.herr@dallasmavs.com
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Herr, David
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 1333 N STEMMONS FWY STE 105
Admin City: DALLAS
Admin State/Province: TX
Admin Postal Code: 75207-3722
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.2146587124
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: david.herr@dallasmavs.com
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Herr, David
Tech Organization:
Tech Street: 1333 N STEMMONS FWY STE 105
Tech City: DALLAS
Tech State/Province: TX
Tech Postal Code: 75207-3722
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.2146587124
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: david.herr@dallasmavs.com
Name Server: NS13.WORLDNIC.COM
Name Server: NS14.WORLDNIC.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@web.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-09-22T18:10:32Z <<<

David Herr is the current Chief Technology Officer for the Dallas Mavericks
https://www.execcouncil.org/dinners/tech...ner-dallas

Couldn't agree with you more, especially regarding the Fish content. I will be where good discussions will take place and this seems to be the place. Thank you Magic to make it happen. Community at Fish is dead.

Regarding the indepth content - The Atletic has some excellent pieces on a regular basis. I guess it is same with ESPN, but for reasons beyond my understanding I can't purchase from Europe.
Like Reply
(09-22-2019, 01:06 PM)balldontliez Wrote: I know a little about SEO and if needed I can provide some temporary content as time permits.

If you want... I do have my main site.. it is in a soft launch phase right now. We have people who write about Philosophy, Religion, Politics, Sports, Music, Film, etc etc...

Qabick.com or QabickCents.com 

Now we happen to have a right wing type of political columnist, but she is done writing about politics and just switching to religion/philosophy now... I am in the market for left and right wing columnists as i am not trying to make a biased site. Infact politics is the least of what I want the site to be about. 

It is basically similar to TheRinger, in that it just will have tons of various writers and content producers who will hit all types of subject matters. I will be able to keep them categorized and have their own sections etc... 

If you are interested in writing about sports particularly Mavs? I would love to have you write on the main site too,, if you are interested. Then we would have a main article, plus a forum post to go with it. 

Then I already am getting great amounts of hits for my main site, plus this, too, together it actually would help build this traffic even more... 

Granted my site is more broad and hits all subjects, as time goes on and there are more specified content I can make each section its own type of site. Then it has a main hub... and you can view it ALL there, and/or we can also have each section and subsection have their own sites...

For instance... I have qabickcents.com as the main... then qabickcents.com/dallasbasketball is the forum for dallas basketball... I can also get qabickcents.com/sports which would be all sports and then theoretically we could also have a qabickcents.com/mavs  etc... then people could just go to the specific one they want(AND we could get a url redirect for each one too) of  course all of this is not as necessary until the site keeps growing with more writers I get on board. 

I can see how people would maybe want it to be its own site completely thats just mavs... and we could basically do that AND the other simultaneously so that traffic is even better and as we grow I can get it more specialized for each department... So we can have our cake and eat it too... .
Like Reply
Dahls latest statement re Maven future on 24/7 boards...

https://247sports.com/nba/mavericks/boar...135787036/
Like Reply
I think taking a scorched earth policy isn't the best approach. An Us vs. Them mentality devolves everyone into a tribalistic nature and really just burns bridges.

Fish made a move to a platform that doesn't provide the experience the majority of his community prefers. Instead of a traditional forum format, he decided to go with a Twitter like design that has bucked the trend everyone has been used to for the last 2 decades. Not trying to be flippant but that's just the facts. Magic stepped up and provided Fish with an alternative and made it clear that he wanted to keep the community together, and has gone above and beyond in trying to achieve that goal. Through this whole process Fish and his staff has been providing vague answers and an indication that he really doesn't 'get' what everyone dislikes about Maven. 

As of now, I am in the dark along with everyone outside of the few that have had conversations with Fish, and given recent posts on Maven (that have now been deleted) their staff has made it known that they're not really interested in trying to integrate this forum, and instead would rather make Maven feel "forum-like" but to me they're just trying to put a square peg in a round hole. 

At the end of the day, we are all Mav fans and we all like to talk basketball. And people are going to go to the place that provides the best experience to do that. I don't see how being tied to Fish is going to bring in new people, as new people are going to come to the place that has consistent conversations and a platform that's the easiest to use. Forums have been the most simple, effective, and reliable method to conduct conversations on the internet since its inception.

I guess in my entire ramble the take home message is that as long as we keep talking Mavs, new people are going to naturally come. If people (or you) like Fish's Maven format, then go post there as well as here! I don't see why one has to be limited to either/or. For me, the layout and design of Fish's new "Forum" if you want to call it that just doesn't work for me, and this forum provides everyone with features (polls,  that people have been begging for years. And because of that the majority of my attention will be focused here.

I for one am glad to see SO many people have signed up and gearing up for the most exciting season of Mavs basketball in the last 5 years. Im ready for the ride!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
After reading the latest posts on the other site, it seems like trying to integrate with Fish and Maven is a dead idea. They don't seem keen on linking to an actual message board, or probably more accurately, their new bosses want them to use the horrible new threading format which was probably cooked up by an underpaid intern and functions like the unholy love child of reddit and sbnation. Even if the threads worked properly and didn't jump around the page randomly while scrolling, I can't see it as ever being a functional substitute for a message board.
Like Reply
DB.COM never had anything to do with Mavs.com.  The mavs official message board was mavstalk.  Fish used to post links to his stuff and advertise his site there, but he wasn't ever linked to mavs.com.
Like Reply
Just saying, i realized for some reason polls arent appearing when i am viewing using my phone. Is there some setting which i can set to see them considering even ticking desktop site on mobile chrome doesnt allow me to see polls.
Like Reply
(09-24-2019, 04:37 AM)Xeroze Wrote: Just saying, i realized for some reason polls arent appearing when i am viewing using my phone. Is there some setting which i can set to see them considering even ticking desktop site on mobile chrome doesnt allow me to see polls.
I see them fine on Android Chrome Desktop.Site...
Like Reply
I see them on my iPhone as well but again I’m using desktop view
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
My bookmarked link to the old 247 forum just ended up in an 404, so it seems like they took it off their servers now.

Good bye and thank you old forum - the future already started right here!
Like Reply