Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PRELUDE 1: DAL 112 (1-0) @ MIL 102 (0-1)
(12-12-2020, 10:28 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: If I take a guess, it is different expectation.
It looked like a bad game for him. 
Liked his defense, considering what I expected.
But on offense, he was just not there. 
Didn't look even interested, didn't look to have a clue of what to do with the ball and almost like he wanted no business of it. 
Obviously first game against professionals, so no judgement there. But it seems he is the kind of guy who will benefit from playing beside a better players and just be a catch and shoot guy.

Wow, this read was completely different than my own.

Outside of a couple of possessions when he tried to do a bit too much, I thought he moved the ball decisively and correctly, and though he didn't hit many of his shots, I thought he stepped into them with complete confidence and showed us his super quick release. 

All in all, Terry played much BETTER than I expected, and looked bigger than I expected, too.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: WCS was +13 in nine minutes.

He should start IMO while KP is out.
Like Reply
Richardson, THJ, DFS, Johnson, Green, Iwundu, Hinton, Bey - so many wings, so little minutes. But we could just wear the other team down...

(12-12-2020, 10:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 10:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: WCS was +13 in nine minutes.

He should start IMO while KP is out.

Duh!
Like Reply
[url=https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=87025686#p87025686]Post#560 » by [b]Bucknado[/b] » 14 minutes ago
Fire Bud. Trade Giannis. Build around DJW and Portis.

Tongue
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Duh!

Careful, Scott. He means WITH Powell. 

Always gotta look for that fine print with @"Kammrath"
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Careful, Scott. He means WITH Powell. 

Always gotta look for that fine print with @Kammrath

I am fine with trying him next to DP, but I was actually referring to @"StepBackJay"'s idea to start him next to DFS and send DP back to Maxi on the 2nd unit. 

OR your idea of bringing Maxi up to start next to WCS.

If I had my choice I would start WCS (if he can show consistency) next to KP.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Green was AWFUL in college finishing at the rim when it was contested. It was the major reason I dropped him from my "draft list." It is a huge problem, but if he overcomes it I think he is easily a solid NBA player....was SO smart off the ball on offense, shocked me.

Leave that problem to Uncle Rick.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Green was AWFUL in college finishing at the rim when it was contested. It was the major reason I dropped him from my "draft list." It is a huge problem, but if he overcomes it I think he is easily a solid NBA player....was SO smart off the ball on offense, shocked me.

Absolutely
He has nice skill and understanding of the game to stick into rotation in this league. 
But if he wants to turn into a solid guy or a starter, he needs to be better finisher and shoot that 3, later probably comes earlier for him
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/l49JJsCmL3.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:21 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Sadly I hope they understand the team they are on...
If Luka was a rookie with these guys it would be incredible to watch them grow, but Luka wants to go places NOW that they rookies are just not ready to be.

Did anyone else hear the mention regarding Courtney Lee???
I actually disagree, purely because all the kids besides Terry are defense first. And even more importantly, none of them are defense only. All have intriguing offensive upside. It would be different if we drafted offensive guys like Cole Anthony or RJ Hampton. Plus while it would nice to have a healthy squad, there will be injuries and COVID infections almost guaranteed as we've seen in other sports. I think Green and Iwundu will get a pretty solid amount of minutes as they will hit enough shots that their defense will get them game time.

I don't get why people are going on about Green's issues finishing at the rim, when DFS at 27 still looks like he thinks he's in an empty gym when going to the basket and is surprised when it inevitably ends up in a turnover or terrible shot after contest. Green has a semblance of a handle and I think some of the vision and passing ability he showed in college might even play up in the more spaced out NBA.

Hinton has a very good chance to also. The probably would wanna swap Hinton and Terry in terms of the two way if they could do it over. Terry is only 20 and has high upside but he's the guy who will prob need the longest development time due to his defensive weaknesses (despite everyone saying they thought he would get the most minutes of the rookies). It was different when we literally had no defensive talent and had to play offensive guys, now that we have legitimate length and athleticism, I think we will see it preferenced, as long as they can hit the open shot. Still confident in the Terry pick, but damn Desmond Bane scorched in his first game and we were only one pick off.

Lastly I will just say I couldn't help but roll my eyes when Harper kept going on about Powell's toughness. Like, who cares? He literally does nothing positive on the court except roll and finish. And if he isn't doing that... it seems like he's gonna be the starting C just because he's liked and I just don't get it. You can have great character guys in your locker room but you play your most talented players.
Like Reply
My rookie notes:

Green had the typical high upside rookie game. Some great moments when he defended post ups vs bigger guys. Really good timing on his cuts leading to easy layups. He also feel asleep on a  few backdoor cuts and had an ugly turnover. Not to mention that his shot wasn´t falling.

Terry struggled as the main ballhandler but showed more on defense than I ever expected. Played stronger and bigger than I thought. Overall he clearly was the worst among the rookies today.

Bey is a really good help side defender. On offense it will be difficult to find a role for him. He loves the midrange/ellbow/floater game that RC basically eliminated in the last two seasons.

Hinton looked like a Smart/Rodman hybrid. Feels like he ended up with every single lose ball in the 4th quarter. Was really suprised by his ballhandling ability. Compared to Terry he really showed some upside as the pick and roll ballhandler.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:48 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Absolutely
He has nice skill and understanding of the game to stick into rotation in this league. 
But if he wants to turn into a solid guy or a starter, he needs to be better finisher and shoot that 3, later probably comes earlier for him
He does need to improve absolutely and at 20 he will, but lets not pretend we don't have a player in DFS who's an important starter for this team and literally terrible at taking the ball to the rim (or doing anything that involves putting the ball on the floor) at 27. The idea that Green HAS to do this to be a solid NBA player when we have basically a vet starter with just as major a weakness in his game, I'm not sure I get. 3 ball isn't an issue IMO when you look at his corner C&S numbers plus his FT% (he also scorched his last 10 games in college). He'll easy be a 34-35% guy given he won't be asked to do much more than take C&S or the occasional pull up, which is more than enough to get solid game time off the bench with his defensive presence.
Like Reply
So finally first game and first win, despite Milwaukee playing starters longer than Mavs. Second unit and parts of third unit were absolutely great. 

Starting unit
Luka looks big and made a lot of mistakes. Looked more like season 1 Luka. But to be honest - Milwaukee was really focusing on the paint leaving tons of open threes throughout the whole game. THJ and Luka didn't care about defense at all. DFS and JRich were what I expect them to be and Powell was trying as always.

Second unit
Difference in effort really showed. These guys played like it is playoffs. Good on both sides of the court. Burke and Brunson are a dynamic offensive duo. Green positively surprised me - it will be no problem playing him for 15 minutes per game to gain experience. Plays good defense even against much stronger Middleton, very active all the time on both sides of the court. Finishing is bad, as others said. Kleber, WCS and Johnson were all good. 

Third unit
If Hinton can show on average half of what he did today, he deserves a contract this season. He was everywhere and the aggression resulted in excellent offense too. Put a good PG next to Iwundu, Bey, Hinton and Bobi and that lineup could cause serious damage. So much effort on defense. Iwundu wanted to do a bit too much offensively. Terry is not ready yet. Offensively I don't really care, he got some good looks, he was ok. But defensively he will be a huge liability. He can't get around screen. Unless he will be extremely good shooter, he will not play much. Might be better as off ball guy at this point.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am fine with trying him next to DP, but I was actually referring to @"StepBackJay"'s idea to start him next to DFS and send DP back to Maxi on the 2nd unit. 

OR your idea of bringing Maxi up to start next to WCS.

If I had my choice I would start WCS (if he can show consistency) next to KP.
I still don't understand why people want to play two bigs in the starting lineup that cannot defend in space. Makes no sense to me in todays NBA. Maxi is the only big I would play next to KP because he can actual do it to a respectable level. But preferably DFS is the starting 4.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 11:15 PM)Dundalis Wrote: I still don't understand why people want to play two bigs in the starting lineup that cannot defend in space. Makes no sense to me in todays NBA. Maxi is the only big I would play next to KP because he can actual do it to a respectable level. But preferably DFS is the starting 4.

Are you single?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Missed the first few minutes of the game trying to get the updated NBA app for League Pass to work on my Fire Stick (it never did, NBA better figure this out ASAP) before switching to my iPad.

Backups looked good, really impressed with Hinton like everyone else. Terry needs to be a spot up shooter at this point, not ready to be a lead ball handler, but good thing Brunson and Burke should be up to that task.
Like Reply
Soooo... Hinton gets the Dirkie in this one?  Or Maxi?  Or co-dirkies for Brunson/Burke?  Soooo many to choose from!
Like Reply
Think Terry was overthinking quite a bit instead of reacting instinctively. Conversely, it seemed most of the other guys were playing directly off the ball and didn't do much in the way of hesitating so they looked cleaner; crispier. What I do know, is that point guards struggle initially in Rick's system so perhaps it was a combination of this and a bit of over thought. Either way, it's his first game so he just needed to get this over with.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 11:27 PM)DrMav Wrote: Missed the first few minutes of the game trying to get the updated NBA app for League Pass to work on my Fire Stick (it never did, NBA better figure this out ASAP) before switching to my iPad.

Backups looked good, really impressed with Hinton like everyone else. Terry needs to be a spot up shooter at this point, not ready to be a lead ball handler, but good thing Brunson and Burke should be up to that task.

Terry wasn't even that bad. Typical rookie game.

Preseason is a time for teams to see where their rookies need to improve. So expect to see him run the point. How else can he improve that part of his game if you don't try him there?
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 11:34 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Soooo... Hinton gets the Dirkie in this one? Or Maxi? Or co-dirkies for Brunson/Burke? Soooo many to choose from!

Hinton
Like Reply