Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(03-08-2021, 07:19 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/07/b...porzingis/

"In a very tight conference, the Bulls could absolutely be aggressive. They are not too far off and a duo of Kristaps Porzingis and Zach LaVine would make them a borderline contender. The move would also give them something impressive to build around for years to come."

Couple of thoughts, I see Bulls fans write Markkanen is better than KP.  If LaVine and KP are contenders what does that make the Mavs?  What do the Bulls have that the Mavs would want outside of LaVine?

https://www.mavsboard.com/showthread.php?tid=56&pid=66921#pid66921

Nailed it.  It's kind of obvious though.  They want to keep LaVine and a KP trade could be their front office proving that they believe in him and want to build around him.

KP + Powell for WCj + OPj works financially.  Now we just need to talk draft compensation.  You might even been able to break even on the original KP trade.

Mavs might then need to sniff around Love or Drummond for the remainder of the season and onward.  Drummond would be assets going out and Love would be assets coming in.  Maybe that's why we've heard Love rumors?
Like Reply
Bulls would have to give up Markkanen, WCJ and OPJ. Markkanen would be the main prize as OPJ is expiring and WCJ's value isn't super high. I think you would probably be asking for a pick or two as well.

If Markkanen is going to start, I am not sure you can be a contender with his and Luka's defense (altho we live with Brunson in crunch time so who knows?).
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 07:42 PM)cow Wrote: KP + Powell for WCj + OPj works financially.  Now we just need to talk draft compensation.  You might even been able to break even on the original KP trade.

Markkanen would absolutely be in the deal. I like getting Chicago to eat Powell's money, I hadn't thought of that.

Markkanen is an RFA right, what kind of contract offers is he going to get?
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 07:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Markkanen would absolutely be in the deal. I like getting Chicago to eat Powell's money, I hadn't thought of that.

Markkanen is an RFA right, what kind of contract offers is he going to get?

You could sub Markkanen for WCj and it still works.  I just used WCj because of the rumor that the Mavs liked him and would have picked him at 5 had the Luka trade not happened and the buzz around Chicago that he isn't fitting into their system.
Like Reply
OPj, WCj, Markkanen and a first would be fair for KP + DP
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 08:19 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: OPj, WCj, Markkanen and a first would be fair for KP + DP

Sign me the hell up!
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 08:19 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: OPj, WCj, Markkanen and a first would be fair for KP + DP

Basically what we paid for KP

We sent a player drafted in the first round and two first round picks and we would get 2 players drafted in the first round and a first round pick
Like Reply

As far as hypothetical KP deals go, that's pretty good. Let's go a step further and make a few assumptions at the end of the season:

OPJ is let go. Dallas keeps Brunson at the low rate for another year. And they keep the reasonable cap holds on Markkanen and JRich before working new contracts.

By my quick calculations, I think Dallas could still clear room for a max contract if they let THJ go (also Trill depending on who they're targeting). And if they keep him, they can sign him for less than his hold and still have more than the MLE to add depth. They might even consider applying that money to Brunson to lock him up or keeping OPJ at a reduced rate. So that's not a bad deal both in terms of adding young talent and increasing cap flexibility this summer. Which could potentially power a larger roster-building strategy before Luka's max deal kicks in.

But cap mechanics aside, you still have to like the talent on the court. I do like Markkanen and WCj, but I'm never all that comfortable giving up the best player in the deal.
Like Reply
RE: Bulls trade for KP

I think the assets are....

Tomas Satoransky
WCJ
Lauri Markkanen
Patrick Williams
Future 1st

The only one playing well from an on/off perspective is Tomas. Not sure there is enough there for me to trade KP (even a future first will be a mediocre pick likely).

I personally need someone like Wiseman (a potential superstar if he develops right) if I am trading KP for unproven youth.

P.S. I don't think there is any real connection of the Bulls and Mavs...I think that is just a fan-piece.
Like Reply
More Warriors posturing...

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...1164769281
Like Reply
Photo 
(03-08-2021, 09:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: More Warriors posturing...

[Image: BitterMetallicCommongonolek-small.gif]
Like Reply

That’s okay, I’ll happily keep KP then   Big Grin Big Grin
Like Reply

They might trade one or the other but trading both in the same package would have to be for an all nba player.  

People asking for both for KP is highly delusional.  Wiseman on a rookie contract has more value by himself than KP on a max contract.
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 08:38 PM)MFFL Wrote: Basically what we paid for KP

We sent a player drafted in the first round and two first round picks and we would get 2 players drafted in the first round and a first round pick

They are buying out OPJ.  I read that today...unless it was speculation and I missed that part.

Oh...I'll dream a second.  Lavine and Markahnan?
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 10:02 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They are buying out OPJ.  I read that today...unless it was speculation and I missed that part.

To my knowledge it's still just speculation. But I could see it.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bulls/202...the-table/
Like Reply

[Image: giphy.gif]
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 10:02 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They are buying out OPJ.  I read that today...unless it was speculation and I missed that part.
I haven’t seen that yet, but I did mention the other day and will reiterate again that I believe he will get bought out (I wouldn’t have thought that at the beginning of the season, but I wouldn’t have guessed Drummond would’ve been a buyout candidate either) and I am very hopeful that Dallas figures out a way to sign him in the buyout market.
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 09:56 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: People asking for both for KP is highly delusional.  Wiseman on a rookie contract has more value by himself than KP on a max contract.

Disagree. 

BUT I think there would be HUGE discrepancy in the value of those assets around the league anyway. I think some GMs would agree with you and I think many others would disagree. 

I personally think Wiseman + MIN 1st is too much for KP....BUT the Mavs would be taking back salary....so it depends on how bad those contracts are. I think if you are taking back Wiggins then it actually isn't far off of the value. And again opinions will vary.
Like Reply
He has been inconsistent, and so it has been largely unheralded, but I just want to put on everyone’s radar that Patrick Williams might end up being the best rookie of the class. He has got something, for sure.
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 10:11 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I personally think Wiseman + MIN 1st is too much for KP....BUT the Mavs would be taking back salary....so it depends on how bad those contracts are. I think if you are taking back Wiggins then it actually isn't far off of the value. And again opinions will vary.

I dont think there is ANY scenario where GS gives up both Wiseman and the MIN pick in a KP trade.  Well run organizations dont give up PREMIUM YOUNG ASSETS just to shed salary.  The Warriors just did the complete opposite thing when they acquired Wiggins.  

Would you trade KP for Wiseman and expiring deals (Oubre, Bazemore)?

I think I would but it's close.

GS trading the MIN pick to get rid of Wiggins sounds as incredulous to me as Memphis trading the #4 pick in a strong draft to get rid of Parsons.  That was a fun thread on the old forum.  I can't believe even Fertitta would do something that bad.
Like Reply