Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived
(06-17-2021, 01:59 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: His second round point guard looks like a future player too.  Boucher is also an interesting name.    Didn't he even get a first round pick for Barnani?

Not sure if he was the guy who traded for Lowry. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/...rs-finals/

I doubt Masai winds up here.   I assume he wants to stay in Toronto and if they have lottery luck in a week, he will probably very likely stay.   Although if there is any chance he would leave, he is my first call.

I love this line in the article about Masai:

Ujiri didn’t blow it up. He didn’t tank and he didn’t sit pat. He did it his way, valuing risk, internal development and brutally honest self-assessment.
Like Reply
Do we think that Rick is back for sure next year or do we let the new GM decide?
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 02:10 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Do we think that Rick is back for sure next year or do we let the new GM decide?

I doubt it would be smart from the new guy to come like buldozer and just tear everything down and start from scratch. I think it is more likely Carlisle might be the one wanting out if his vision wouldn't fit with the new GM.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 02:10 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Do we think that Rick is back for sure next year or do we let the new GM decide?

I go back and forth on what I expect to happen. 

I have a huge amount of respect for Carlisle, and feel like I can almost guarantee that the next coach will be a step down, regardless of when the transition takes place. 

But, I strongly feel that the GM should be THE boss, with the ability to hire and fire ANYONE in the organization. 

But, I don't expect Cuban to hire someone great and give them that job. Not for real, anyway. 

And, Cuban himself has already publicly stated that Carlisle will be back. He doesn't strike me as the type to be comfortable with saying "that was before we switched GM's" and contradict himself by changing coaches. It seems to me that Cuban, like Jerry Jones, is far too concerned with how he's perceived in public for that.

All in all, my guess is that Carlisle is back for at least one more season.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 01:21 PM)omahen Wrote: It is maximum first round pick to dump Powell. Perhaps two second rounders. It is only 22 mil left. Philly dumped 80 mi of Horford for expiring Green, one FRP and one second rounder.

Burke contract is not that bad as it is just a little bigger than vet min. He is a useful end of bench guy you can put in for some instant scoring here and there. He did have a couple of great moments this season.

So we would spend a first round pick and dump Powell (who has some value to us, although less to others) just so we can spend market value on THJ?  I'm out.  I would need a really good reason to burn one of our very limited assets, and signing THJ is not that high on my list.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 02:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: So we would spend a first round pick and dump Powell (who has some value to us, although less to others) just so we can spend market value on THJ?  I'm out.  I would need a really good reason to burn one of our very limited assets, and signing THJ is not that high on my list.

Let's say your offseason target is Lowry and he wants 25 mil. This leaves you with 9 mil of cap space, not even MLE. I much rather dump Powell with an asset and resign THJ than sign someone meh for less than MLE that will be in the end useful as Burke. THJ scoring is difficult to replace and I doubt any of the shooters will sign for less than MLE. Or you can extract a minor asset from someone to take Maxi, if you think it is better. I don't think any of them is crucial or irreplecable by exception money or even vet min guys. Please have in mind - you only do Lowry if you think he makes you a contender. Guys like Powell and FRP have zero value for me if I think I am building a contender. Powell is certainly a contract new GM should repair. He is surely a great guy but way overpaid. So if you can get value, you do it. Cap space is value, if the right guys is alligned.

If you don't think those moves make you a contender, than I guess makes way more sense to go slowly, try to sign someone like Collins or Ball and build a contender in next few seasons or so. I doubt Mavs will choose this way.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 02:36 PM)omahen Wrote: Let's say your offseason target is Lowry and he wants 25 mil. This leaves you with 9 mil of cap space, not even MLE. I much rather dump Powell with an asset and resign THJ than sign someone meh for less than MLE that will be in the end useful as Burke. THJ scoring is difficult to replace and I doubt any of the shooters will sign for less than MLE. Or you can extract a minor asset from someone to take Maxi, if you think it is better. I don't think any of them is crucial or irreplecable by exception money or even vet min guys. Please have in mind - you only do Lowry if you think he makes you a contender. Guys like Powell and FRP have zero value for me if I think I am building a contender. Powell is certainly a contract new GM should repair. He is surely a great guy but way overpaid. So if you can get value, you do it. Cap space is value, if the right guys is alligned.

If you don't think those moves make you a contender, than I guess makes way more sense to go slowly, try to sign someone like Collins or Ball and build a contender in next few seasons or so. I doubt Mavs will choose this way.

I move you to the front of the future Mavs GM line from the message board pool. This is totally something the Mavs would do.

Mabye something to keep in mind about the Raptors. In the non-tanking section of their 2020/2021 season, they were

15-21 with Lowry
11-6 without Lowry

Furthermore the last two years the schedules were very compressed on one side, but on the other side they also afforded the older players some extra rest. That might lead you to believe the players have more left in the tank/health-wise than they truly have: see Bubble LeBron vs. Full-Season LeBron.

For the last two years Lowry has taken a lot of extended breaks. Signing him is such a high-risk move on top of Porzingis. He´s a 6´0 guard relying on his defense/athletic ability to carry his value. If he busts under the compressed FULL schedule on a 80/3 contract you can f****** start looking for Luka trades, cause there is no way out of a "Lowry + Porzingis + THJ"-hole. NONE.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 01:42 PM)cow Wrote: Disagree.  Those years leading up to Doncic left our cupboards pretty bare.  Gambling on KP made you exhaust a lot of future assets and if that doesn't work out, and it hasn't so far, it will make maneuvering really difficult until the KP debt is paid and his contract is off the books.  It's hard to fault the MBT from going after KP as a fan, but I think a smarter run organization would have passed on that trade given the cost, shape of the roster outside of Doncic and knowing KP's medicals and that you'd have to give him a max contract.  We'd have been better off being bad around Doncic for a few years, drafting well and then going after the cherry on top piece (CP3, Conley, Holiday, etc.).  We took a shortcut and it has only put us father behind.

And even if you throw out the KP gamble, we haven't operated well since we drafted Luka/Jalen.  Seth was probably our best move and we threw that great contract away for a 1 year rental and Tyler Bey.

Fif I have to go with cow here. 

What is Donnie’s strength. He hit spectacularly on two Euro players. However there has been a lot of empty years not just due to plan powder but also due to his poor draft and asset management skills.  The Mavs have consistently given away picks like candy. When you don’t hit on lower picks and then build a self fulfilling prophecy that picks don’t count, it becomes very difficult to acquire talent. Especially when no great FA looks at Dallas as anything other than just another franchise.
Like Reply
Would Schwartz still be considered a Mavs friendly agent now that Donnie and Rick are gone?  Also was wondering do front office/coaches still have agents?  Or who was Finley's agent as a player?  Also, about Finley - are there any resent video clips of him talking about the Mavs?
Like Reply
Mavs seen as second most desireable coaching post available. Would be number one if Cuban figures out and solves the dysfunction. Proposed coach: Kenny Atkinson.

https://theathletic.com/2656012/2021/06/...best-fits/
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 01:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For me it is mostly about his track record when it comes to young players, late picks and undrafted guys.

Jalen Harris -59th pick
Fred VanVleet - undrafted
Norman Powell - 46th pick
OG Anunoby - 23th pick
Pascal Siakam - 27th pick
Delon Wright -20th pick
Jacob Poeltl -9th pick

Would be a solid playoff team in the ECF.

You forgot Chris Boucher, another find.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:54 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs seen as second most desireable coaching post available. Would be number one if Cuban figures out and solves the dysfunction. Proposed coach: Kenny Atkinson.

https://theathletic.com/2656012/2021/06/...best-fits/

That's an interesting name.  Bill Simmons seems to think it will be Mosely, but if they go outside, I like this.  I feel like he got much more from the talent he had than he should have.  He took a putrid lineup from 20 to 28 to 42 wins.  He was with Atlanta as an assistant when THJ was there.  He was with LAC this season and undoubtedly has relationships with and insights about guys like Batum and Jackson.  Dinwiddie had great success under Atkinson.  Could he be a sixth man here?
Like Reply
I don't hate Kenny Atkinson.  I don't hate Jamal Mosely--but I would like an interview so I would know he's not going to be just more of the same.  I'm open Sunday.

BUT...I would like to hear a name that really makes me perk up, tilt my head, chew my bottom lip...and raise my eyebrows.  Who could that be?  Hell...I don't know!

I guess the GM will pick the new coach.  I hope.  I'm still open on Sunday for interviews...

I'll wait by the phone...
Like Reply
Michael Finley's player agent was Henry Thomas, who died in 2018. Other big time players he represented were Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade and Tim Hardaway Sr..  So to see if Finley still has ties to the agency it was and still is CAA sports.

Current Mavs this season w/CAA - Jalen Brunson, Josh Green, JJ Redick and Wesley Iwundu.  Mavs reported 2020 draft interest Tyrese Halliburton.  Mavs rumored FA targets last offseason Robert Covington and Marc Gasol.  

Now I'm sure we will never know who was in fact behind all these names (Nelson, Finley or Bob).  But there is defiantly a pattern here and if in fact it was Finley.  Here are a few names to watch this offseason.  Chris Paul,  Mike Conley,  Reggie Jackson,  Patty Mills,  Austin Rivers and Daniel Theis.  And how about a trade name - Andrew Wiggins.
Like Reply
Whats wrong with Michael Finley being GM? Players actually make great GM's. Ask James Jones.

https://www.nba.com/news/phoenix-suns-ja...utive-year
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 07:07 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Whats wrong with Michael Finley being GM? Players actually make great GM's. Ask James Jones.

https://www.nba.com/news/phoenix-suns-ja...utive-year

Or Michael Jordan. Worst GM/owner. Goat player. Some former players had a lot of success. Some failed. In the Mavs case that doesn´t really matter. If Finley has the knowledge and ability he would be a great option but I would still prefer an external solution. The Mavs need more than just a few new names. They need to change the way the front office operates.
Like Reply
Nothing wrong with Finley being the GM at another time... But in this scenario with all the issues you need someone from the outside. 

I hope finley does get to be a GM one day if that's what he wants. But not here right now.
Like Reply
I wish Cuban would money whip Ujiri and give him full power...if not give me a person who is not a yes man but a STFU man...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 08:50 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I wish Cuban would money whip Ujiri and give him full power...if not give me a person who is not a yes man but a STFU man...

Who doesn't want that? Except maybe Mak.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Who doesn't want that? Except maybe Mak.

Fuerza1?...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply