Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trade Targets and Giannis-Option
So we always talk about the big expiring contracts/players that we could acquire and that would compromise our Giannis capspace, but what about the smaller salary players. Players that could be acquired via trade and do not compromise ourspace.

If this off-season has been any indicator, then the Mavs are actually trying to surround Luka/Porzingis with players that can grow with them. This is most certainly the youngest Mavs roster of the Carlisle era, maybe Cuban´s whole ownership (Howard, Quis, Harris?).  

Furthermore the next two RFA classes are amongst the deepest in recent memory, so who are some of the likely available candidates that are not locks to be retained by their current teams and could probably be acquired via trade:

The Orlando 

Orlando will make a play-off push and they might be interested to off-load Markelle Fultz for a veteran PG to pair with Anthony. Unlikely they´ll retain his service with the big Jonathan Isaac extension looking. For the same reason Mo Bamba and his 2022 FA will be included in all trade conversations.

Knicks Now Fully Operational

So it seems the new Knicks leadership is playing the asset management game, which brings us to Frank Ntilikina. Did the Mavs really like him in the draft or where they playing mind games? We could be about to find out. On paper his role on the Mavs could be tailor-made for Frankie. Play defense, provide somesecondary play-making, otherwise 3&D. Completely different role than being the captain of the Titantic. Seems unlikely the Knicks will retain his services. Kevin Knox will probably be available or have Thib in an early grave as the certified worst defender in the league for the last two years. Not a target for us.

The Carly Rae Jepsens - Call them maybe

Rumours swirling around the availability of John Collins, WCJ and Lauri Markkanen seem puzzling, but the extensions aren´t that far out. Atlanta is under win now pressure, so would they consider a trade like Kleber + future assets? The Bulls on the other hand are unlikely to be in the play-off chase and somebody will die on that new management hill aka get the blame. I´d be surprised if not one of WCJ, Markkanen or Lavine is scapegoated and moved before FA 2021 starts.

The MJ G.O.A.T player and [Image: giphy.gif]  general manager

Malik Monk is up for an extension, but his status seems up in the air and with the OJ Mayo-esque drug suspension looming over his head. Though not a bad potential fit (as a 6th man for example) that makes him an unlikely target for the Mavs culture. So that brings us to Miles Bridges aka the $39M man back-up. At least on paper the Hornets have blocked his pathway to starter minutes for the next 3-4 with Hayward and Washington. At least on the Mavs he has a fighting chance, especially as a small ball four next to Porzingis. A long-term roleplayer on a contender is exactly his ceiling.

Holy Alibaba is that you Tyson?

The Nets are already flirting with the tax, while exploring options to upgrade their win now roster and the two core pieces of all trades will be Caris Levert and Jarrett Allen. At first glance he seems such an unlikely target for the Mavs, but he is my favourite, because he is an asset building, roster building, pre-Giannis insurance policy and therefore makes sense on so many levels.

The Nets cannot afford to pay him next summer. The threat of an 80/4 RFA offer is legit trade leverage. He´s fighting against the superstar buddy DAJ. Let´s hope that clown puts in a shift to make Allen somewhat expendable.

While we cannot provide the Nets with a 3rd star option, we can offer a cheap long-term replacement in Maxi Kleber. Maybe throw in THJ for Dinwiddie for a short-term upgrade on an expiring contract. Add a pick and here we go.

For the Mavs he serves multiple purposes.

1. He could be the long-term Tyson next to Porzingis, if the Giannis chase fails. You don´t have to stress so much in FA, because you already have another piece in place.

2. Offensively it´s a perfect fit with Porzingis anyway. I think Allen is also the rare center that can also defend the PF position, so he´d be injury insurance at center and can play next to Porzingis at the same time.

3. His small caphold does not compromise out purchase of Giannis, but at the same time we can extend him as a major trade asset, if we are successful with Giannis.
Like Reply
This was an easy read. And some good ideas. 

I think Allen would be an interesting avenue. But it'd be hard to trade with the Nets and it'd make sense for both teams. Unless the Nets really love Dwight Powell, I don't see the Mavs trading for another C. 

(11-28-2020, 01:20 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: While we cannot provide the Nets with a 3rd star option, we can offer a cheap long-term replacement in Maxi Kleber. Maybe throw in THJ for Dinwiddie for a short-term upgrade on an expiring contract. Add a pick and here we go.

One of my biggest hangups is that while Allen is a talented player, I don't think he fills the biggest need that the Mavs have. I'll be forthright and say I only watched 2 Nets games last year, and I barely paid any attention to Allen at all. So I do not know his strengths and weakness outside of just general NBA knowledge that he is athletic and a great shotblocker. Other than that I don't know what else he brings. 

Maxi on the other hand, I believe is a lynchpin for this Mavs defense. His defensive versatility is something we haven't had since Shawn Marion. Obviously Maxi isn't at the level of peak Marion, but he's certainly an under the radar all-defense guy. To give him up for a less versatile rim defender when we already have KP seems like a step back. Now I can be totally wrong and Allen can be a switchable big on the perimeter, but I haven't seen it. 

Dinwiddie is also a wonky fit. He's a worse shooter than THJ (Career 32% on nearly 5 attempts a game) and his fit next to Luka isn't lock and key. So while the Mavs get an interesting prospect in Allen, I don't think he's good enough to warrant any of our key rotation players. And he's not bad enough for the Nets to take on a bad contract like Powell. Because of that I don't think the Mavs can be trade partners with the Nets. 

That is, unless they want to assist the Nets as a 3rd team in a Harden trade. I'd gladly take Allen for taking on the contract of Eric Gordon. (But in doing so the Mavs make it all that much harder to get space for the Giannis chase, effectively defeating the point of Allen being a cheap and cheerful option).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
There are only two avenues for improvement for me. Upgrade the THJ and DFS spots in the starting line-up. We already have one bench player too many and I love all of them at this point. So I have absolutely zero interest in Fultz, Bamba, Ntilikina and similar "could have beens". John Collins is the only name from the ones mentioned that represents a clear upgrade in our starting line-up.

Allen is ok, but he is nowhere near worth 20 per.
Like Reply
Good write up. The RFA market is interesting. The big issue with it is your cap is tied up while most of the action is happening. The other team matches and you’re left with nothing. I do like the idea if trading for a RFA and having that ability to re-sign them, sign-n-trade or letting them walk.

I try not to get too excited with the names though. The guys you want the most almost always sign the extension. Tatum, Donovan Mitchell, Bam and Fox are all guys we would’ve loved to target but they are no longer available.

Ball, White and Fultz aren’t really positional fits. Allen, Collins, Markkanen and Issac are probably the most realistic options. How much are we willing to trade for another big though?

OG Anunoby probably is the only max level RFA left that fits our needs. Why on earth would a well run org let a player like that go without getting a massive haul? They aren’t Sacramento. Only way i see it is if they get Giannis, but even then it doesn’t make sense
Like Reply
As I've said in other threads, two of the biggest names to me are OPJ and Aaron Gordon. OPJ seems pretty unlikely to be a Bull after this season, so Chicago is probably already gauging the trade market for him. Gordon has a long-term contract but Orlando may want to move him eventually if Isaac can recover well.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 09:50 PM)Branduil Wrote: As I've said in other threads, two of the biggest names to me are OPJ and Aaron Gordon. OPJ seems pretty unlikely to be a Bull after this season, so Chicago is probably already gauging the trade market for him. Gordon has a long-term contract but Orlando may want to move him eventually if Isaac can recover well.

OPJ is the no brainer.. if he is available for what the Mavs could offer, get it done yesterday.  John Collins would be AMAZING here as well.  I don't know why ATL would do that deal.  I can't imagine they actually like Gallinari more than JC...  Either way, I don't see us having anything to offer for ATL to want to trade him to us.  But, if THAT was a possibility, I would do it immediately.  He would fit in with a Doncic/JRich/KP core in such an amazing way.
Like Reply
I don't get this concept of having another starting big next to KP. The question is simple. Can the guy playing the 4 next to KP guard wings? If the answer is no, move on. I'm seeing people onboard with going after Gobert if Giannis is not an option. The only way that works is if KP is traded. If KP could guard on the perimeter at a minimum as well as Maxi can, then it could work, but he can't. Two guys playing starter minutes that can't guard well out in space, no matter how good they are defending in the paint, is just not a good combination. It will get exploited to hell, especially in the playoffs. IMO you need an absolute minimum of 4 of your starters able to guard in space to have a good defense in todays NBA. Even having one guy not be able to do it well is starting to become a liability as we saw with KP getting absolutely destroyed on PnR defense in the bubble, and will be exploited more and more moving forward as more and more teams roll 5 out offenses more often with 5's that can shoot.
Like Reply