Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
(12-15-2020, 04:54 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Maybe players decide to do it like Dirk or Kobe instead of like Lebron, Wade, Bosh, KD, Kawhi, AD, George, CP3, etc.

The cynic in me thinks, and has posted, that I am not at all impressed with what MIL has put together and Giannis will force his way out before this contract is up.

But I would love to be wrong about that.  I'd love to see Giannis chase rings in MIL, Luka in DAL, Booker in PHX, Ja in Memphis, SGA in OKC, Spida in UTA, Jamal and the Joker in DEN...and the list goes on.  

It's fun to see guys grow roots, have cities rally behind them as the face of the franchise, suffer the agony of the climb...and of course something special when it culminates like it did for Dirk and the Mavs.  

And the added benefit of Free Agency becoming less blockbuster than the ring chasing generation of players soon to be on their way out of the league....teams have to build through the draft and trades and I 100% trust Donnie in the trade market and am hoping this draft was the beginning of a new emphasis on that portion of team building.

Ring chasing is going nowhere. It has been around since way before Lebron, he was just the first one to lean into it and wear it like a badge of honor. There is no going back to the sport as we remember it before 2010. 

What Giannis did today might make some old heads feel better (no disrespect intended - I'm merely talking about people who remember the good old days with longing) but he's not going to win a championship with Milwaukee this season, and by this time next year the national narrative will be "Giannis isn't good enough to get it done." You don't have to be a fortune teller to see that coming from a mile away.

I'm happy for him in the sense that he has acquired generational wealth that will set his great, great grandchildren up for life. But, imho, he just flushed his basketball legacy down the toilet. I'm not saying that every guy in his situation needs to jump ship for a sure thing (there are no sure things, anyway), just the ones who play in Milwaukee. 

I think this is a terrible day for the NBA. I think Giannis has like two more years of relevance, and then he'll be yesterday's news. I would so much rather have seen him go to Miami, Toronto...anywhere else, almost.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax - by KillerLeft - 12-15-2020, 05:51 PM