Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
Not being a player, I have no idea what our reputation is among players.

One thing I've not seen mentioned is the expectation players have regarding trades.  Players know they are subject to being traded at any time.  But some should have a greater expectation of staying with a team than others.  For instance, a draft pick or a player who comes here in a trade should have no expectation of not being traded.  I'd argue it is at least a little different when someone comes here as a FA...especially a higher end FA.  The team recruited you.  It made certain promises.  It said you are a key to the direction we are going.

So, I don't really give a damn about Rondo or Odom.  Chandler was traded here twice and served out the terms of his contract both times.  Dallas tried to sign him to an oversized one year in 2012 and he turned it down.  Dallas unrealistically asked him to wait while they pursued bigger fish and he didn't.  

My focus (assuming I cared about this) would be on Vince, Monta, Parsons, Matthews, Barnes, Jordan and Wright.  I think Vince had a great experience here after being bought out by Phoenix.  Dallas did Parsons a huge favor by pretending to be interested in him when he hit the market a second time (ultimately signing that big contract with Memphis).  Monta opted out of his Dallas deal to sign with Indy.  To me, the real question is how do players feel about how Matthews, Barnes, Jordan and Wright were treated.

I'd say neither Matthews nor Barnes lived up to their billing and Dallas traded them just prior to them becoming free (or opting out).  Dallas rescued Jordan from a toxic situation and made him whole with the money he would have made had he stayed in LA.  The NY situation might have been a good one as he could have recruited KD there (if NY wasn't such a cesspool).  And, while Wright isn't a household name, trading him to Detroit to get serious minutes under his old coach seems a pretty good outcome.

I think if we are being honest, Dallas has churned its roster a good bit in recent years.  A couple of nut jobs didn't fit or get along with Carlisle.  No idea if players think poorly of Carlisle for that or Rondo and Odom.  Outside of the sheer volume of churning, I think it is hard to argue Dallas has treated people poorly (or been wrong about anyone).  Who has gone on from here to accomplish great things?  But most importantly in my mind is who should have had a different expectation than what they got here?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-12-2020, 10:18 AM