Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
(12-11-2020, 03:50 AM)Branduil Wrote: I think it's pure fantasy to think JRich would say "yeah sure I'm going to forego years of guaranteed money and let myself be underpaid for another year to get Giannis," especially when there are other paths to getting enough space even with his caphold. The only real cases of this happening are the Lebron Heat with 3 superstars, and Dirk, who is Dirk. JRich isn't going to risk his own career after 1 year with the Mavs. That's why I think any Giannis scenarios need to work with the assumption of JRich's cap hold instead of praying he has a good year but also hates money.

There is a way around him having to "forgo years of guaranteed money".  So, that really isn't the question.  The question is whether a new deal starting with a 20% raise is good enough.  After opting-in (and in the new NBA year), Richardson can get a 4/$60 extension starting at about $14mm.  If his market next summer is $18mm to start, then this doesn't happen.  But if he's going to pull in $14-$15mm anyway, then there is a path to keeping him at his smaller opt-in number.  

IF that were to happen, the loss of talent to create room for GA is Boban, WCS, Johnson, THJ, Powell (presumably) and Josh Green (or similar).  The remaining talent is:

Bigs:  KP/GA/Maxi
Wings:  DFS/JRich/Iwundu/Bey
Ball Handlers:  Luka/Brunson/Terry/Burke

Add in the Room MLE and minimums as needed.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: says he is still undecided on supermax - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-11-2020, 07:16 AM