Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
(11-27-2020, 02:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think there's a chance of this happening ("really good chance" is obviously a stretch), but it certainly hasn't happened yet, so I don't get all the doom and gloom about it. So far, since drafting Luka, the vast majority of the decisions they've made have been for the best, imo.
The problem we have as observers, is there is no possible way we can ever know this. We get tidbits after the fact, but those tidbits pale in comparison to the days and days of conversations about trading this guy and getting that guy and drafting that player. That's where the "really good chance" comes in. The chance (we're talking likelihood in percentages, not black and white) that they passed up on a really good deal or a well negotiated deal far exceeds the thought of "best possible path".

I'm also saying, "best possible path" doesn't start now, it started last offseason when some argued to hold out for the 21 Giannis sweepstakes. That makes me wonder how much of that argument was made in the decision making of our FO last offseason and how much of it was bought into? To what degree was that argument in the back of Donnie's mind when talking to other GM's about potential trades? That's what I mean by "really good chance".

(11-27-2020, 02:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Two max players = roughly 60% of the cap, yes? That effectively locks you in to improving through trades and MLE only, unless you bail on Porzingis and probably some other contributors who are here on good contracts. There's nothing wrong with trades, and I'm not suggesting that the roster will be written in stone from next summer on, but moving salary out in exchange for other salary requires a multi-directional fit in terms of intent. This is a much, much smaller target to hit, with much less room for error. If you're not passing up anything of value to maintain other options, and so far, they haven't, why plunge head first into a world where you have only one possible route of escape? 
FA still has a place in Miami's future, they're still talking about a path to Giannis, even after Bam's extension. How many times does it have to be said that the hardest part is getting the player to say "yes". The rest isn't exactly easy, but if our FO is worth anything, it's for sure doable. With Luka and KP, I'm still arguing that we don't NEED that 3rd star, and if we do, it's because KP has proven to not be reliable in getting on the court, which makes his inclusion as a star (and payment as a star) questionable.

(11-27-2020, 02:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Couldn't have said the above better myself, and it 100% supports my view, imo. 

I am not supporting doom and gloom. I myself am in the middle, and like things to stay there. 

I think this offseason with what I believe to be a LARGE upgrade of Curry to JRich, as well as the 180 degree mentality switch of getting offense only guys to getting defense only guys and enforcer types is a really good and promising development. I think it is easier to turn a really good defender into a good enough or even great two-way player because the mentality and drive to become a good defender takes lots more uncelebrated work ethic than it does to be a good offense player. 

Bring to RC that work ethic, and he'll turn you into a serviceable player in the NBA (mostly, there are exceptions to the rule).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: MIL losing confidence he will sign supermax deal - by ItsGoTime - 11-28-2020, 08:34 AM