Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
(11-27-2020, 02:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 02:42 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: For that reason i don’t see a huge trade with picks anytime before we no longer are players in FA

So, I wouldn't rule out a big splash at the trade deadline, myself. 

Planning to have cap space LAST off season is what got them KP. Without that plan, they wouldn't have had the expiring deals in place to build that trade. Essentially, they "used" the space early by trading it at the previous deadline for a difference maker and then extending him. 

I can definitely see that being the path they choose. The funny thing is that should that happen, people will say "See, I told you they weren't getting Giannis. Thank God they came to their senses and didn't wait," not realizing that the cap space 2021 plan was what made it possible. 

Back to the overall topic: If, when Luka signs his extension, the team is not in great shape (through any means available) then I think they'll deserve some criticism. Until then, I just don't understand the doom and gloom mentality. I could understand it if they were treading water, but they drastically improved the roster. I could understand it if they had just passed up something that clearly elevated them to contender status, but I don't see what possible move could've done that. They improved the team (more than marginally, imo) and in such a way as to make it EASIER to move these new pieces later for even better ones. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing a (likely) downside.

(11-27-2020, 02:22 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I agree that we are in a great position currently, but what I will say is next off-season is 100% put up or shut up time. If they fail next off season, they might as well start planning the Luka trade demands down the road. At some point the plan has to happen or it's just all BS.

This is pretty close to accurate, imo. I don't agree with much else that you said, but the above paragraph hits a chord of truth. 

I still think there will be time to salvage the Luka situation at that point, but doing so will be much, much more difficult. What I'm not hearing from anyone is the option the Mavs have passed up that's making you all feel this way. So, while I'll be right there with you next summer if they don't put some young, exciting players together with a certain amount of cost control (not expiring deals, at that point), I don't know that I'll necessarily look back at NOW and choose this as the time where it went wrong.
I’m in your camp that we are in great position currently. I have no complaints just want to stay they course and keep the future bright

Big splash = multiple first round picks 

Salvage the Luka situation = Big splash 

IMO, keeping our picks is key insurance should something unforeseen occur and we need to “salvage the Luka situation”. We aren’t anywhere close to Portland or Milwaukee. THEY are the ones who it makes sense to go all in. We are so far from that point. My view is to wait and go that route AFTER free agency is no longer an option 

Im not saying don’t trade, just saying we should make a smaller cheaper move. KP is already more than Dirk ever had post-Nash.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: MIL losing confidence he will sign supermax deal - by Jason Terry - 11-27-2020, 03:30 PM