Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIANNIS THREAD: Giannis has SIGNED the Supermax
(11-27-2020, 01:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 12:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Clearly, you have to log in the best possible roster before he signs that extension, but you have time between now and then to search for the best possible path.
I think there is a really good chance that the best possible path, when all is said and done, might turn out to be something that we possibly passed up on because we were staying flexible.

Also, how in the world can a person believe that once Luka signs his extension that we are "locked in". I don't get that mentality. Is the trade market going to just freeze up once Luka signs his extension? Will there be no FA's following Luka's extension signing? How about the draft? Does that go away once Luka signs his extension?

No, none of that goes away, as well as our flexibility to change directions continues to be there. This is not 21 or bust, this is 21 is just another year to get what we need for this team. Luka's contract is just 1 contract on a team that needs to have players signed at their on court value or lower.

Every year we read how we prop up the next thing on the list of "deadlines". The draft, free agency, trade deadline, moratorium lifted. Every year before that "deadline" we all discuss what we'd like to see happen at that particular "deadline", and every passing of the "deadline, the posts start saying "that's ok, cause look what we can get at this NEXT deadline!" and "That was the better option to begin with!" followed by "Screw that guy that didn't want to come here, this guy is saying all the right things and I think Dallas really has a shot THIS TIME!"
I tend to agree with this view. I totally get and understand that we should be estatic for getting Luka and KP. Damn right we should be, but unfortunately Donnie gets a pass every time we miss out because he's landed Dirk, Luka, KP via trades. Donnie is one of the all time best GM's at trades. Unfortunately he is not so good at the draft and free agent signings. Too often we punt on the draft. This flexibility thing is completely overated. When a star wants to come to your team, they force their way there. Salary cap doesn't stop the great teams. Miami never has trouble clearing salary. LA never has trouble landing someone via trades or signing. 

I agree that we are in a great position currently, but what I will say is next off-season is 100% put up or shut up time. If they fail next off season, they might as well start planning the Luka trade demands down the road. At some point the plan has to happen or it's just all BS.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIANNIS THREAD: MIL losing confidence he will sign supermax deal - by BigDirk41 - 11-27-2020, 02:22 PM