Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Courtney Lee chip?
I haven't seen details of Courtney Lee's new deal but it seems odd that he resigned when he's unlikely to make the roster.

Without digging into the details on the NBA salary cap, is it possible the Mavs signed him to a big number, much of which may be non guaranteed?

For example, say he resigned at $13 million with only $2 million guaranteed?

Is that doable? Would that make him an ultimate trade chip sort of like the famous DUST (Dampier Ultimate Sign & Trade) chip, that counted as a big number for trade-matching, but would vanish upon being waived by the acquiring team?
Like Reply
The rules prevent dust chip now. 
If he has only 2M guaranteed then he can be only traded for 2M player or 13M player but then full contract is guaranteed
Like Reply
"While contracts signed under the old agreement still operate by the old rules, contracts signed after July 1, 2017 are subject to the rules of the current CBA. And under the current CBA, only the guaranteed portion of a player’s contract counts for outgoing salary purposes in a trade, limiting the appeal of non-guaranteed salaries as trade chips.

In the example above, the player with a $10MM salary and a $1MM guarantee would now only count for $1MM for outgoing salary purposes in a trade, but the team acquiring him would still have to consider him a $10MM player."

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/how-...rades.html

Looks like that's no longer a thing.
Like Reply
V, I can't remember the source, but I heard one of the plugged in folks say that the Mavs signed Lee for the vet presence during camp and to allow Lee to show teams that he can still play a bit, but that both sides know that he'd almost certainly be released. 

Can't remember the source but rembember thinking that it sounded like some combination of reporting and speculation.
Like Reply
We can close this thread
Like Reply
(12-17-2020, 06:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: V, I can't remember the source, but I heard one of the plugged in folks say that the Mavs signed Lee for the vet presence during camp and to allow Lee to show teams that he can still play a bit, but that both sides know that he'd almost certainly be released. 

Can't remember the source but rembember thinking that it sounded like some combination of reporting and speculation.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2096678913
Like Reply
Hate that the NBA closed the loophole on the non-guaranteed money. This board would have had a field day with the L.U.S.T chip (Lee Ultimate Sign and Trade)
Like Reply
(12-17-2020, 06:15 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: "While contracts signed under the old agreement still operate by the old rules, contracts signed after July 1, 2017 are subject to the rules of the current CBA. And under the current CBA, only the guaranteed portion of a player’s contract counts for outgoing salary purposes in a trade, limiting the appeal of non-guaranteed salaries as trade chips.

In the example above, the player with a $10MM salary and a $1MM guarantee would now only count for $1MM for outgoing salary purposes in a trade, but the team acquiring him would still have to consider him a $10MM player."

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/how-...rades.html

Looks like that's no longer a thing.

I still have hope!

The loop-hole Dallas was much more efficient at using was a Sign and Trade guaranteeing the 1st year, but not years 2 and 3.

My plan would be contingent on Dallas creating a roster spot by aggregating salaries of multiple players and bringing Lee back on a prorated minimum salary around the Trade Deadline. This restores Lee's Bird Rights in the summer of '21, then Dallas could look at a deal of Lee (S&T - 1yr guaranteed) and Powell for a terribly overpriced piece - ala Tobias Harris.

Another option would be to get a piece from say Golden St. for taking on Wiggins contract. If Hield has a less than stellar year, next summer, he might be the type of target this type of deal would generate.
Like Reply
In Courtney Lee's case, Article VII(i)(2) of the CBA applied because he is a Veteran Free Agent who last played for the same team who signed him to the summer contract.  Therefore, the parties entered into a one-year summer contract for exactly the minimum player salary, from what I can tell.  A summer contract, by definition, cannot have any compensation protection, so he had no guaranteed salary.
Like Reply
That might be accurate regarding the summer contract... But that does not prevent him signing a regular contract for the minimum (only exception they have left) during the season. As long as he does NOT sign with another team, and subsequently finishes the season on the roster under contract his years of service with the team would be considered continual.

Dallas did this (or discussed it) with Dirk about every other year in his last 4-5 years in order to create cap space - they would release his rights and sign him to cheaper contract (than his cap hold) and the next year they would sign him to a more deserving contract.
Like Reply