WCS

The last bunch likely won't play much:

Boban
Iwundu
J Green
Terry
Bey
Like Reply
I think Powells future depends on his shooting. If he can shoot at least 35 % of his wide open threes, he will be useful. Otherwise, opponent will just park their center in the paint and guard KP with a wing, effectivelly killing a lot of spacing. Clippers, for example, put Zubac on least dangerous Mavs shooter (Kleber) and put one of the wings on KP. KP unfortunately has very limited capability to punish the opponent for putting a smaller player on him. 

Mavs will have a killer unit once opponent will be forced to move center on the perimeter, leaving the paint wide open. This is the advantage our unicorn brings.

I am quite convinced Mavs will try to start Powell. But, untill KP comes back, I am not so sure of DFS being his partner in the starting lineup. They will be very small against Phoenix, Clippers and especially Lakers. If Powell can't exploit their (Ayton, Zubac, Gasol) somehow limited mobility on the offense, we will be cooked by their size advantage on the other side. At least as long as our PnR defense remain at last year level.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 02:28 PM)madmavsgirl Wrote: When all are healthy I see these guys locked into rotation minutes:

Luka
THJ
JRich
Powell
JP

Brunson
DFS
Maxi

Depending on matchup 9 & 10 comes out of the following:

Burke
Johnson
WCS

The last bunch likely won't play much:

Boban
Iwundu
J Green
Terry
Bey

Looks good.

Count me among those who believe Burke ends up much higher than this. Top of that second tier, maybe.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Powells future depends on his shooting. If he can shoot at least 35 % of his wide open threes, he will be useful. Otherwise, opponent will just park their center in the paint and guard KP with a wing, effectivelly killing a lot of spacing. Clippers, for example, put Zubac on least dangerous Mavs shooter (Kleber) and put one of the wings on KP. KP unfortunately has very limited capability to punish the opponent for putting a smaller player on him. 

Mavs will have a killer unit once opponent will be forced to move center on the perimeter, leaving the paint wide open. This is the advantage our unicorn brings.

I am quite convinced Mavs will try to start Powell. But, untill KP comes back, I am not so sure of DFS being his partner in the starting lineup. They will be very small against Phoenix, Clippers and especially Lakers. If Powell can't exploit their (Ayton, Zubac, Gasol) somehow limited mobility on the offense, we will be cooked by their size advantage on the other side. At least as long as our PnR defense remain at last year level.

I'm not sold on Powell's fit but I think he will get a long look as a starter.  I think when healthy Luka/THJ/JRich/KP are locks.  I would not object on that last spot being situational.  DP/DFS/Maxi.  

With KP out I'm hoping WCS gets a real shot.  I think he's potentially a better fit than Powell.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Powells future depends on his shooting. If he can shoot at least 35 % of his wide open threes, he will be useful. Otherwise, opponent will just park their center in the paint and guard KP with a wing, effectivelly killing a lot of spacing. Clippers, for example, put Zubac on least dangerous Mavs shooter (Kleber) and put one of the wings on KP. KP unfortunately has very limited capability to punish the opponent for putting a smaller player on him. 

I am also worried ab this potential Powell, DFS pairing as well defensively. Offensively they will be fine. I think Powell isn't great for spacing but isn't as bad as a complete non-shooter like a Capella who absolutely just takes up space in the lane if he isn't in PnR. Powell will often hover around the perimeter and while defenses will give him a lot of space they can't completely ignore him. Not as good as having Maxi out there but not as bad as a total non-shooter either.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 02:28 PM)madmavsgirl Wrote: When all are healthy I see these guys locked into rotation minutes:

Luka
THJ
JRich
Powell
*KP

Brunson
DFS
Maxi

Add Burke to this list, he is going to get a good chunk of minutes off the bench in the Seth Curry role (but less minutes). Ppl around here will want to see Terry play but he might be sparsely used year one. Rick tends to take his time with guards vs we have seen 3D type forwards get playing time immediately if they can play in the system.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 03:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Looks good.

Count me among those who believe Burke ends up much higher than this. Top of that second tier, maybe.

I would rank him 9th in minutes to start.  If he plays like he did in the bubble that's going up.  Maybe he passes Brunson or maybe a few less minutes for THJ.

I do think with injuries and Covid those last tier guys get an opportunity down the line.  Maybe one of the Rooks earns a spot later.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 03:16 PM)madmavsgirl Wrote: I'm not sold on Powell's fit but I think he will get a long look as a starter.  I think when healthy Luka/THJ/JRich/KP are locks.  I would not object on that last spot being situational.  DP/DFS/Maxi.  

With KP out I'm hoping WCS gets a real shot.  I think he's potentially a better fit than Powell.

I think your list and this post are dead on.  Two points:

I think who finishes will be even more situational than who starts (and that is what really matters ultimately)

Second, I think WCS has a light switch hidden somewhere.  I can’t put my finger on why, I just do.  That switch has been really hard to find.  If Carlisle could get that thing switched while KP is out and get some momentum going we could have something really special.  Give WCS’s Powell’s effort and Maxi’s three point shot (for all we know he’s got this already) and you would have a monster.  The thing that seems to keep WCS from becoming Myles Turner appears to be all between his ears.  I hope whatever it is is curable.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 05:46 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think WCS has a light switch hidden somewhere.  

Bingo
Like Reply
It's hard to be optimistic about WCS because the light hasn't come on previously. The bit of optimism I can muster is based on the fact the Mavs got to know him last season and were interested in bringing him back. Surely that means they have hope. So I'll have a little too.
Like Reply
I think the dividers forming among us regarding WCS are cousins of the lines formed on the Gobert issue. 

I think he has a lot of potential to be greater than what he has shown to be to this point, and I agree that some of his skill set overlaps with Powell’s. They’re both rim-runners, and they can both play center. 

But that’s where it ends for me. I think Powell is a very specific type of player who can play with Porzingis (even those of us who might yearn for something different will agree that he CAN). I absolutely, positively, 100% do NOT think WCS will ever be able to play with Porzingis. 

So, I am about as enthusiastic about WCS’s potential as one who views his ceiling (on this team) as KP’s backup can be. Watching you guys argue about which extreme will be correct is kind of like seeing my parents get divorced.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 06:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think the dividers forming among us regarding WCS are cousins of the lines formed on the Gobert issue. 

I think he has a lot of potential to be greater than what he has shown to be to this point, and I agree that some of his skill set overlaps with Powell’s. They’re both rim-runners, and they can both play center. 

But that’s where it ends for me. I think Powell is a very specific type of player who can play with Porzingis (even those of us who might yearn for something different will agree that he CAN). I absolutely, positively, 100% do NOT think WCS will ever be able to play with Porzingis. 

So, I am about as enthusiastic about WCS’s potential as one who views his ceiling (on this team) as KP’s backup can be. Watching you guys argue about which extreme will be correct is kind of like seeing my parents get divorced.

If WCS can shoot 35% from three, and switch onto the perimeter better than KP, you still don't think he can play next to him? 

I'm not saying we'll see him do these things, but I fully believe that the ability is there, if RC can find the "switch".
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 06:19 PM)embellisher Wrote: If WCS can shoot 35% from three, and switch onto the perimeter better than KP, you still don't think he can play next to him? 

I get that not everyone here agrees, but I think “more switchable than KP” is far from being a high enough bar for the Mavs’ “2nd big”...”biggest wing”...whatever you want to call that guy.
Like Reply
WCS is a poor man's Gobert.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 06:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: WCS is a poor man's Gobert.

For the Poor Man pay he gets from us, that sounds good to me.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 06:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: WCS is a poor man's Gobert.

Based on WCS's career so far, and not on hope from this preseason, WCS is a comatose man's Gobert.
Like Reply
(12-16-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on WCS's career so far, and not on hope from this preseason, WCS is a comatose man's Gobert.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(12-16-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on WCS's career so far, and not on hope from this preseason, WCS is a comatose man's Gobert.

His 3 ball is WET though!
Like Reply
I am liking our rotation, I think Rick who likes to go deep into his bench in the regular season will have 10-12 guys in the regular rotation:

Starters:
Luka
Rich
THJ
Powell
KP

Then Brunson, Burke, DFS, Maxi as big contributors but then things get murkier with WCS, Green and Johnson. I imagine with injuries and planned rest and all that both of those guys will get minutes one way or another. Boban will be situational as usual.

For now with KP out you have Luka, Rich, THJ, DFS, Powell then Brunson, Burke, Green, Maxi, Johnson and WCS and getting regular minutes.

It's a good rotation, the concern for me are nights where defensively the Mavs struggle early on without interior defense. The bench is probably going to bail out the starters some nights.

I would feel much better if Maxi was starting with Powell but Rick wants to keep him on the bench. I do think if the Mavs play poorly a couple games in a row you could see RC change up the starting unit.
Like Reply
Richardson?????

(12-16-2020, 08:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am liking our rotation, I think Rick who likes to go deep into his bench in the regular season will have 10-12 guys in the regular rotation:

Starters:
Luka
Rich
THJ
Powell
KP

Then Brunson, Burke, DFS, Maxi as big contributors but then things get murkier with WCS, Green and Johnson. I imagine with injuries and planned rest and all that both of those guys will get minutes one way or another. Boban will be situational as usual.

For now with KP out you have Luka, Rich, THJ, DFS, Powell then Brunson, Burke, Green, Maxi, Johnson and WCS and getting regular minutes.

It's a good rotation, the concern for me are nights where defensively the Mavs struggle early on without interior defense. The bench is probably going to bail out the starters some nights.

I would feel much better if Maxi was starting with Powell but Rick wants to keep him on the bench. I do think if the Mavs play poorly a couple games in a row you could see RC change up the starting unit.
Richardson?????

oh sorry!  for some reason "rich" was blacked out on my screen
Like Reply