Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TWO WAY DEALS: Nate Hinton [6'5", 6'9" WS] + #36 Tyler Bey [6'7", 7'1.25" WS] to DAL
Fun video of Hinton courtesy of @"Scott41theMavs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0vqvcZeXi0
Like Reply
Interesting Article about Hinton

Meet Nate Hinton, the Dallas Mavericks’ new two-way player

I recently talked with the Mavs’ new two-way guard from the University of Houston. Here’s what he had to say regarding draft night thoughts, his best skills and more.

“My name was still called. You know, it wasn’t called on TV, but it was still called.”
That’s what Nate Hinton, the new two-way guard for the Dallas Mavericks, told me about how draft night played out for him.
He’s not wrong. He wasn’t one of the lucky 60 guys to get their names called on TV during the draft. Instead, he’ll go down in the books as an undrafted free agent signee. But who cares? What does it matter if you get a call saying you’re going to get drafted 59th overall or get a call saying you’re going to be signed as a free agent? After draft night, it’s a clean slate. Once you’re in the league, you’re in the league.
Nate Hinton is a relatively unknown name amongst everyday NBA fans. He wasn’t a 5-star recruit out of high school. He didn’t play for a Power 5 school. He was projected by most to get drafted in the 50s, if at all. But don’t be surprised if he’s a household name amongst hoops fans by the time his career is all said and done.
Hinton isn’t one of those classic undersized scoring guards you see go undrafted every year (see Markus Howard for reference). You know, one of those guys who will probably put up big scoring numbers in the G League but might never crack an NBA rotation. No, with his unique skill set, Hinton should be able to carve out a role right away.
At 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, Hinton has an elite NBA frame for a guard. He’s big, strong, fast and bouncy. He’s also one of the toughest and hardest working players to come out of the 2020 draft class. An ideal NBA body and a drive to succeed that’s unmatched can (and likely will) take you a long way in this league. Did I mention he’s the best rebounder in the class? Not the best rebounding guard — the best rebounder. Period.
If you don’t believe me, just ask the man himself.
“I’m the best rebounder, guard or big, that was in the draft,” said Hinton when I asked him about his best skills. I clarified later in the interview to make sure I heard him correctly and he reassured me that he is, in fact, the best rebounder in the class. Period.
And honestly, he’s right.
During his sophomore year at Houston, Hinton hauled in 8.7 rebounds per game and had a 15.7 total rebound percentage. If you scale up to the per-100-possessions metric, he averaged a wild 17.2 rebounds. Remember, he’s 6-foot-5, not 7-foot-5. Those are dang-good rebounding numbers.
When you watch Hinton, it’s pretty clear that his rebounding isn’t all athleticism and drive. That’s certainly part of it, but he also has a crazy ability to watch shots go up and know how they’re going to bounce off the rim. It’s Dennis Rodman-esque.
Remember that famous clip from [i]The Last Dance[/i] where Rodman was talking about studying the ball coming off the rim and knowing the angles that the ball might fly around at? This clip:

That’s what Nate Hinton reminds me of. When I told him that, he agreed. “I definitely felt that,” said Hinton. “When [Rodman] said that, I’m like ‘Okay, so I’m not crazy. I’m not the only one thinking like that.’”
No, Nate, you’re not crazy at all. In fact, it’s that line of thinking that might make you a very successful NBA player.
Dennis Rodman isn’t the guy Hinton models his game after, though. I asked Hinton to name some players he’s been watching recently that he can model his game after. Some names he included: Jimmy ButlerPatrick Beverley, and Marcus Smart. Notice anything similar among those three guys? They all made their mark in the league by making the hustle plays, by working harder than everyone else on the floor, and by doing all of the dirty work that most players don’t want to do. They can all also knock down open shots and help make plays with the ball in their hands (Butler, obviously, at an incredibly high level).
After talking with Hinton, one thing he made clear is that he’s [i]hungry[/i]. He’s not just content knowing he made it to the NBA. He knows the work is just beginning. Check out his response when I asked him what the Mavs are getting with a guy like him:

Quote:“The Mavs are getting a winner, a competitor, a dog, somebody that’s relentless,” said Hinton. “I’m Mr. Whatever You Need Me To Do.”
What’s not to love about that answer? The first thing that came to his mind wasn’t the fact that he’s an underrated scorer or a guy that can get out and score in transition. He wanted to make it known that he’s a grinder. He’s going to do the little things. He’s not going to quit — ever. [i]Those [/i]are the types of guys that turn from two-way players to consistent rotation players. [i]Those [/i]are the kind of guys that retire with nice careers to look back on. [i]Those [/i]are the types of guys that help elevate a team. The Mavs aren’t short of skill guys. They have arguably the most skilled offensive player in the league. They need more guys like Hinton. Guys that do the things no one else wants to do.
“I’m the best rebounder, guard or big, that was in the draft”
I wanted to get to know Nate Hinton the person, not only Nate Hinton the NBA player, so we talked about some fun stuff to go along with all the deep dives on rebounding. Some of the highlights include him thinking he could’ve been an NFL player if he didn’t go after basketball (I believe him). His favorite basketball movie is “Like Mike,” which means he’s not only a good basketball player, but a respectable movie critic with impeccable taste. Lil Baby is who he’s listening to most right now, and “Sum 2 Prove” is his favorite Lil Baby song because similarly, he feels like he has something to prove.
There’s no question about it, Nate Hinton is ready to be a Dallas Maverick. He’s already used to Texas, and he’s ready to embrace it even more.

Quote:“I’m looking for the flyest cowboy hat and the flyest cowboy boots,” Hinton joked. “If somebody’s out there that’s willing to do that, I’ll be grateful. I’m ready for it. I’m Texas all in.”
Can somebody hook him up?
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 10:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Fun video of Hinton courtesy of @"Scott41theMavs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0vqvcZeXi0

I know this video probably shows him in the best possible light, but I don't know how you can watch this and not be excited about the kid. 

Richardson
Green
Bey
Iwundu
Hinton

Any one of those dudes would've been the most athletic player on the team last year, imo, and they added them all at once.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 11:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Any one of those dudes would've been the most athletic player on the team last year, imo, and they added them all at once.

Yeah, I am so excited about the season, but there are just so many minutes to go around. Unfortunately none of Richardson, Green, Iwundo or Hinton seem to be able to play PF, so at least one of them, baring some injury, won't see any minutes and one will be reduced to garbage time.
Like Reply
Wow, I hadn't paid attention to this signing. Love this guy! I think he needs to be on the game roster so he can get in the game periodically just to wreak havok. 

"I am the best rebounder in the draft." "When Rodman said that...I'm not the only one thinking like that." He didn't get that from Rodman, he already thought that way before he heard Rodman's quote. He's a natural.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 12:26 PM)Oman Wrote: Yeah, I am so excited about the season, but there are just so many minutes to go around. Unfortunately none of Richardson, Green, Iwundo or Hinton seem to be able to play PF, so at least one of them, baring some injury, won't see any minutes and one will be reduced to garbage time.

I agree that minutes will be tough to come by for these youngsters. Hopefully they work and earn some, but I've never been a guy who thinks time spent with a good NBA team WITHOUT playing is necessarily wasted time.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 01:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 12:26 PM)Oman Wrote: Yeah, I am so excited about the season, but there are just so many minutes to go around. Unfortunately none of Richardson, Green, Iwundo or Hinton seem to be able to play PF, so at least one of them, baring some injury, won't see any minutes and one will be reduced to garbage time.

I agree that minutes will be tough to come by for these youngsters. Hopefully they work and earn some, but I've never been a guy who thinks time spent with a good NBA team WITHOUT playing is necessarily wasted time.

Yeah, you gotta have a set rotation. But Rick is good about randomly throwing guys a bone. Plus, training camp and practices matter. Richardson has a role already. And Green may be slotted in the back of the rotation. But Green can't fall back on that draft position with guys like Iundo and Hinton behind him! Man, would love to see those practices. Every wing on the team better watch out...Hinton is coming for you  Big Grin !!!
Like Reply
Hinton reminds me of a soccer friend of mine. He wasn´t long. He couldn´t dribble or shoot to save his life, but he had a motor and relentlessness that just grinded you into submission. You dribbled by him and then he´s in front of you again. After 7-8 hours on the playground, he´d still just grind away, while we stood at halfcourt our tongues on the floor watching him make his 2nd or 3rd lay-up attempt. He just beat you with his lungs and his will.

If Hinton can develop a reliable 3pt shot, he probably has a future in the league.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 01:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Hinton reminds me of a soccer friend of mine.

You a footballer pal? Soccer was a my life once upon a time :-)
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 01:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 01:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Hinton reminds me of a soccer friend of mine.

You a footballer pal? Soccer was a my life once upon a time :-)
Nah I was just kicking it around for fun. My friend was just a real good soccer player with the stamina to annoy us to no end.

I had a good feel for any ball, but ultimately I was a jack of all trades, master of none.
Like Reply
Am I the only one that sees the PatBev comparisation? Not the quickest, not the strongest but relentless on defense. It also feels like every lose ball or long rebound somehow ends up in his hands. Will be interesting to see if he can do the same against better competition.
Like Reply
The more I watch of Bey, the more impressed I am. He just pops athletically.
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 06:08 PM)cow Wrote: The more I watch of Bey, the more impressed I am.  He just pops athletically.

Such an amazing draft. 
All 3 seem to have the motor and desire to make it which is what you want to see. No guarantees but hopefully Rick and the coaching staff can take advantage of this. Having a handful of guys producing on rookie deals is the ultimate win 
Don't just pawn them off or give them away for free unless you have a good reason.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...6309799937
Like Reply
In case you were left wanting more info on this guy:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/09/12/dr...niqueness/
Like Reply
He didn't lie when he talked about his rebounding. 
He is a ball magnet, his ball handling is better than I expected. Good defender too.
Like Reply
(12-12-2020, 10:25 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: In case you were left wanting more info on this guy:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/09/12/dr...niqueness/

Value picks so far? 

Theo Maledon (#34)
Tyrese Maxey (#21)
Deni Avdija (#9)
Nate Hinton (undrafted)
Vassell (#11)
Okoro (#5)
Pokusevski (#17)
Cole Anthony (#15)
Like Reply