Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#31 PICK: Tyrell Terry | 6' 3" | 6' 1.75" wingspan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDI4MHXRpHU
Like Reply
Any news about his contract? Has he signed one yet?
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 02:55 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Any news about his contract? Has he signed one yet?

The James Johnson trade is STILL not official...........strange......

None of the rookies have signed either, nor Burke, WCS, or Iwundu.....

The Mavs are waiting on something? But what?
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 04:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 02:55 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Any news about his contract? Has he signed one yet?

A Barea problem. 16 guys? 15 + Barea

Something is certainly off ever since the Barea is going to get a contract news. Theory: Maybe they verbally promised Barea a spot pre draft or during the offseason, and now kinda run out of spots post draft/free agency. And have to make a decision now or find a solution. But why sign Iwundu if you have no roster spots?
Tho the inital plan was signing Terry to a Brunson like contract to have team control for 2 more years (if you believe in him like Brunson). If Barea is back, they have to make Terry the 2 way? and sign Barea? Release Nate Hinton? Iwundu released after signing a 2 yr deal?

I doubt they have a "real" competition on the 16th spot based on training camp? That sounds utter strange Undecided
Iwundu or Boban vs. Barea based on the performance in training camp? Rolleyes
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 04:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs are waiting on something? But what?

The fact that contracts were not officially processed is not stoping trades. None of the offseason trades were stopped from being announced because contract status was not cleared. Ariza got traded 3 times before even first trade was processed. I am sure the reason is something totally innocent related to some paperwork or similar.
Like Reply

I have not seen anywhere what the “draft compensation” going to OKC will be. To me that is the biggest red flag of all. I really hope we didn’t do something dumb and give Presti too much 

Hopefully just looking to see what’s out there in trade
Like Reply
Is there a detail I’m missing that proves it’s the MAVS who are waiting on something, and not one of the other teams?
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is there a detail I’m missing that proves it’s the MAVS who are waiting on something, and not one of the other teams?

Long time reader...first time poster...

Just a question...and it may be a dumb one... but why would another team looking to expand on the johnson trade hold us up from completing our other businesses? I would assume if Detroit or OKC were trying to expand on the trade it wouldn't hold us up from completing the Iwundu, Burke, Jj , rookies contracts ect....

I would think the only reason not to do so is because MBT still feels there's a reasonably realistic opportunity on the table which my alter some or all of those things.

They certainly didnt seem to want to wait on promoting Richardson,  been looking at that city edition Jersey all day....didnt see a Green, Terry, Bey or Johnson one though
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 10:20 PM)Doncinomics Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 09:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is there a detail I’m missing that proves it’s the MAVS who are waiting on something, and not one of the other teams?

Just a question...and it may be a dumb one... but why would another team looking to expand on the johnson trade hold us up from completing our other businesses? I would assume if Detroit or OKC were trying to expand on the trade it wouldn't hold us up from completing the Iwundu, Burke, Jj , rookies contracts ect....

I would think the only reason not to do so is because MBT still feels there's a reasonably realistic opportunity on the table which my alter some or all of those things.

They certainly didnt seem to want to wait on promoting Richardson,  been looking at that city edition Jersey all day....didnt see a Green, Terry, Bey or Johnson one though

Great question, and I don’t know the answer. But, like someone else said, it COULD just be a paperwork thing related to Ariza changing hands several times in one deal. I’m not saying it’s NOT the Mavs, but if there’s a reason to assume it IS the Mavs, it’s over my head. That’s why I asked. 

And I don’t think Johnson will get much of a merch push either way.
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 10:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 10:20 PM)Doncinomics Wrote:

Great question, and I don’t know the answer. But, like someone else said, it COULD just be a paperwork thing related to Ariza changing hands several times in one deal. I’m not saying it’s NOT the Mavs, but if there’s a reason to assume it IS the Mavs, it’s over my head. That’s why I asked. 

And I don’t think Johnson will get much of a merch push either way.
 I agree its probably nothing, and yes they wont be selling many Johnson jerseys...but I would have thought we would have at least seen a press release for the rookie class, considering how well they did in the 
draft would think they be eager to put that out...guess they could be waiting past the holiday 

Ps...had a JB, Boban and Kelber jerseys up, not sure those are flying on the shelves either, but everybody's got a fanclub
Like Reply
Love that first time long time.

Questions like these are a perfect chance for DLord to make his first appearance.
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 11:16 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Love that first time long time.

Questions like these are a perfect chance for DLord to make his first appearance.

I was just thinking that this is the type of thing Fish used to track down for us routinely.
Like Reply

[Image: giphy.gif]

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/2020...nings.html

Lots of drafted players have not signed.  Maybe the Mavs are waiting for something else?  idk, would hate to lose Terry.
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 11:35 PM)Hypermav Wrote:

[Image: giphy.gif]

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/2020...nings.html

Lots of drafted players have not signed.  Maybe the Mavs are waiting for something else?  idk, would hate to lose Terry.
I think it's becouse of the whole covid situation. They are just waiting for the players to come to Dallas.
Like Reply
I'm going to guess that players have to take physicals before trades are official. The delay with covid has to be playing a part. Time's a-wastin' with games slated to begin in less than a month.
Like Reply

I think there is probably a little bit of smoke here, but the chances of fire don't seem high.  This was originally reported as part of the larger deal that sent Adams to NO by multiple sauces.  So, it is reasonable to assume this part of the deal was purposely separated.  It isn't likely that Detroit is the party holding things up as Ariza can't be aggregated with anyone (I've been too lazy to look up the date, but recall certain types of trades are legal as early as 12/3).  I guess it is possible that someone wants to structure this in a way that generates a TPE, but figuring out who/how makes my head hurt.

The biggest potential benefit to Dallas is a 4th team is willing to jump in and take Johnson and would give us a player in his place.  We could certainly do this after the 3-way is completed, but if we wanted to add another player, it would need to happen while this deal is still pending.  If we add someone to our current outgoing of Jackson/Wright, it isn't aggregation.  But if we wait, it is.  Adding someone also increases the amount of money we can take back.  Right now Jackson/Wright allows us to bring back $19mm.  

Probably the best way to determine potential targets is to look at what we reportedly shopped for before.   

1.  There are reports we tried to trade up using Brunson to pick Halliburton.  I wonder if the hope was that Halliburton would eventually play the role JRich is slotted for.  Does that mean JRich would have been more valued for his expiring deal than as a player if the Halliburton deal was successful?

2.  There are reports we tried to sign Gasol.  This would have been a ST substitution for WCS.  I don't read anything longer term into this.

3.  There are reports we tried to sign Crowder.  What we don't know is whether Dallas was willing to go multiple years.  But, he does play the same position as the next two.

4.  There are reports we tried to sign Gallinari.  Certainly this would have taken multiple years.  It tells you Dallas is willing to spend 2021 money if the quality of player is high enough. 

5.  There are reports we tried to trade for Covington.  This obviously would have been multiple years and he plays the same position as Gallinari and Crowder.  Now we are starting to see a trend.

Who am I missing?   We (collective we) often think there is this very specific grand plan.  But it seems more likely they have a general direction and players are more fungible than we realize.  So, the effort at this point is to just keep acquiring talent.  At some point that talent can be cashed in for someone who isn't fungible, but is actually a difference maker.  As we've discussed in the JET Plan thread, this could just be getting someone who brings more than Johnson (who, himself, is probably just a stopgap to get certain players off the roster).  Maybe that happens in the coming days or at the TDL or next summer.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
Like Reply
If we are going to use some of the remaining MLE on terry, I like the move. Its left over money anyway, and it gives us more control over an otherwise shorter 2nd round contract in case he pans out (which in confident he will :^D).
Building a basketball team is a lot like chess, sometimes you just have to shuffle the pieces around.
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 03:00 PM)Kingsideboogie Wrote: Its left over money anyway, and it gives us more control over an otherwise shorter 2nd round contract in case he pans out (which in confident he will :^D).

Actually gives us less control since it's a 4 year deal which means he'll be an UFA at the end of it. Brunson is similar that he'll be a UFA in 2022. If the Mavs made it a 3 year deal then they could offer a QO giving Terry RFA rights.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...3673806855
Like Reply