Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#31 PICK: Tyrell Terry | 6' 3" | 6' 1.75" wingspan
(11-20-2020, 09:17 AM)Drew Wrote: I didn’t know that Terry was supposed to be a star, or that Terry needed to be one for that to be a good pick?

If his ceiling is 80% or Seth Curry that’s a huge win for the 31st pick.

He’s supposed to develop into a sniper off the bench. Not a starter who’s anchoring your team.

Agree with your point, but I will be a little surprised if he's not better than Seth Curry in a few years, when the dust clears. 

He has better handles, a more aggressive mentality, he's smarter in general, and he has a chance to become a much, much, much better playmaker. 

I would not need him to become a star or even a STARTER for this to be a successful pick (though I think both are possible) but I would need him to develop into a plus-level rotation piece who scares teams to death when he comes off the bench. For the reasons above, I have a good feeling about that.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 02:15 AM)cow Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 11:56 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 10:19 PM)cow Wrote: Lou Williams arms are different lengths which is why you don't see his wingspan offered very often.  His left arm is measured at "get" and his right arm is measured at "buckets".

4/10

Words hurt, friend.  Numbers too.

Especially the pointy numbers. 

I mean, I said in another thread last night that you were winning. And this particular joke may be the only joke of yours, like ever, that I didn't laugh at. I obviously still love you even though you're only half the cow you used to be, which is still way more cow than any of us deserve. 

In short, I'm sorry, but I'm not, but I am, but I'm not.

above the line see Jokes With cow(cow)

below the line see serious basketball discussion

Am I the only one he thinks Terry has backup pg potential? He's gotta but it all together on an NBA court, which Seth has done, so this is probably premature, but I think he looks like he has more potential than Seth. 

And, for Kam, can should Terry's nickname be TRex?
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 09:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He needs to be a rotation player for it to be a good pick.... The odds are stacked against him is all I am saying. Nothing more.

I was about to jump down your throat for saying this, but it's true because we spent our first rounder on a guy who is as much of a project as Aleksej.
Like Reply
Terry does not need to be "better" than Seth, that "problem" is solved already with Brunson on the roster, who is already much better than Seth. 

Terry just needs to check into the game and make a couple wide open 3's every now and then until his body/mind is more NBA ready. 

Best case scenario he's another Seth type player but not gon lie, he reminded me of former Mav great Shane Larkin at times. Lets not forget Terry is a 2nd round pick for a reason but I am hopeful.
Like Reply
Been a Mavs fan 25+ years.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a guy that was more overrated by the fan base than Jalen Brunson.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 10:30 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Am I the only one he thinks Terry has backup pg potential? He's gotta but it all together on an NBA court, which Seth has done, so this is probably premature, but I think he looks like he has more potential than Seth. 

No. I think he has that potential, too. 

But, the Mavs are in the business of winning games, not developing rookies to reach their maximum potential (at whatever cost). I don't think he will play any MEANINGFUL minutes at PG this season unless something has gone way, way wrong. 

By the time his first contract is ending, yes, I think we'll have a clear picture of his potential to be a PG.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:08 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Been a Mavs fan 25+ years. I'm having a hard time thinking of a guy that was more overrated by the fan base than Jalen Brunson.

Look at Fuerza's avatar.

Given his takes on Brunson, I used to think he *was* Brunson, except that he has posted in the game threads from time to time.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:08 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Been a Mavs fan 25+ years.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a guy that was more overrated by the fan base than Jalen Brunson.

I think the only person the overrates Brunson is Fuerza,

unless you think calling Brunson a pretty good second unit point guard is overrating him. I think he's that.

(11-20-2020, 11:03 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Terry does not need to be "better" than Seth, that "problem" is solved already with Brunson on the roster, who is already much better than Seth. 

Terry just needs to check into the game and make a couple wide open 3's every now and then until his body/mind is more NBA ready. 

Best case scenario he's another Seth type player but not gon lie, he reminded me of former Mav great Shane Larkin at times. Lets not forget Terry is a 2nd round pick for a reason but I am hopeful.

You gotta tell us the story of where your over-the-top Seth hate comes from and where your over-the-top Brunons love comes from. I bet it's good!

(11-20-2020, 11:12 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 10:30 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Am I the only one he thinks Terry has backup pg potential? He's gotta but it all together on an NBA court, which Seth has done, so this is probably premature, but I think he looks like he has more potential than Seth. 

No. I think he has that potential, too. 

But, the Mavs are in the business of winning games, not developing rookies to reach their maximum potential (at whatever cost). I don't think he will play any MEANINGFUL minutes at PG this season unless something has gone way, way wrong. 

By the time his first contract is ending, yes, I think we'll have a clear picture of his potential to be a PG.

Coach doesn't do too much development via free minutes. He will put young guys on the floor, though, with defined perameters, if they've shown him something. If we see Terry come into the game a run a unit for a few minutes it will be because he had been showing something in practice.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:03 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: mind is more NBA ready

Stanford guy with straight A`s in highschool that according to RC is one of the smartest kids he has ever seen.
No to mention that he was really impressive in all interviews and tests over the summer.

"According to a person who spoke to USA TODAY Sports Media Group’s Rookie Wire on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, Tyrell Terry “broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason. Already considered one of the best shooters in the class, he would be a welcome addition to any NBA franchise."

He obviously needs to gain experience but I think he is one of the more NBA ready guys. Could easily imagine a Brunson like rookie season.
Like Reply
Per 36 Minutes: 

Brunson - 16 ppg, 7 apg, 5 rpg, 24 years old

Seth - 18 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg, 30 years old

On/Off:

Brunson: + 3

Seth: - 2 (negative on defense AND offense).

Seth is a better 3PT shooter and that is it. Keep in mind Brunson was shooting 40% from 3 from December onward last season until his live execution in Atlanta. Brunson is better in every other way and is 6 years younger with room to grow still. It is a no brainer MBT preferred him.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:28 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Per 36 Minutes: 

Brunson - 16 ppg, 7 apg, 5 rpg, 24 years old

Seth - 18 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg, 30 years old

On/Off:

Brunson: + 3

Seth: - 2 (negative on defense AND offense).

Seth is a better 3PT shooter and that is it. Keep in mind Brunson was shooting 40% from 3 from December onward last season until his live execution in Atlanta. Brunson is better in every other way and is 6 years younger with room to grow still. It is a no brainer MBT preferred him.

Dude, this is balanced! Not much to disagree with. I don't think Seth is as one dimensional as you, but for sure, Brunson is a legit NBA pg, and Seth is not.
Like Reply
Yes, Brunson had some stretches where he held onto the ball for a bit too long trying to make things happen on drives, which is probably exactly what the coach wanted him to do, but he's a little too dead-set on being the guy who either scores or creates an actual shot for someone. He doesn't have the experience (yet) to always know when he has the advantage vs. when it's a good time for him to simply move the ball and hope the next guy sees one. His haters see that as a flaw, but I think it's just a young player figuring things out. I think he's way too smart not to get better in that way. 

I don't think I overrate him at all when I say I find it unlikely that Terry is anything close to as good of an option AT POINT GUARD on day 1. Maybe in three years. 

But, the Mavs didn't draft Terry to play PG. At least, not in year 1. These guys will play AT THE SAME TIME, just as Dallas has used multiple small, quick guards together for years and years and years. That's going to drive some people crazy, but at the end of the day, your BENCH needs to SCORE. Dallas almost always has one of the best benches in the league for a reason. That reason is the great and all powerful Rick Carlisle.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: These guys will play AT THE SAME TIME

They can both play and it does not have to be at the same time. Luka will be playing a lot so Terry can come from bench and play his 15 minutes or so with Luka. Brunson can cover all non Luka minutes and perhaps get some with him on the floor, with his main SG partner Richardson or THJ
Like Reply
One aspect I think Terry will need to work on, in order to be a valuable and versatile option is his step back, both as jumper and 3PT. 
There was a scouting video who argued that sometimes he just shoots it when he fails to slash past his man, when a step back was the better option. 
If he can get it to his tools, while shooting translate, he can be better than a Seth Curry 

But do we know someone here in Dallas who can teach him a thing or two about step backs?  Wink
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:08 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: But do we know someone here in Dallas who can teach him a thing or two about step backs?  Wink

And Terry can show that someone how to actually score on them Smile
Like Reply
NBA Draft Net had Terry at #13 on their Big Board Top 100 (Josh Green was #12). 

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:04 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: These guys will play AT THE SAME TIME

They can both play and it does not have to be at the same time. Luka will be playing a lot so Terry can come from bench and play his 15 minutes or so with Luka. Brunson can cover all non Luka minutes and perhaps get some with him on the floor, with his main SG partner Richardson or THJ

But they will play at the same time quite a bit, if they're both here. Maybe not as much as Barea/Terry (JET) or Brunson/Seth, depending on how Richardson or THJ are used, I'll grant you that. My point was that there are STILL Dallas fans who look at those two little guys and think "well, there's no way you could ever play them together" and I just don't know how they haven't figured out that in certain situations, Carlisle sees that as an ADVANTAGE.

It's been the same argument for like 12 years!!!!
Like Reply
I mean Brunson is the perfect backup PG for a Rick Carlisle system. Not sure why people would think saying something about him being a really good backup, solid 4th or so starter on a good team would be "overrating him"
Like Reply
I’ve been watching analysis on this kid and it’s getting me REALLY excited.

Apparently he’s grown an inch. That’s cool.

He was projected as a 1st rounder, someone said as high as possibly #10?!!! I know, I know, who knows.. but the idea that he’ll have a chip on his shoulder I like.

But here’s the thing, he’s been drafted into the PERFECT system, next to the perfect pg, with the perfect coach. We are going to get everything this guy is capable of. His ceiling could be REALLY high. The value of his skill set if he can put it to work is super high in this space and pace league. And he will start with ZERO expectations. Just go out there behind Luka and Brunson at pg, play alongside Wright and Brunson sg, and do what you do.

He could be journeyman microwave guy or a star. We get to find out.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:08 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Been a Mavs fan 25+ years.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a guy that was more overrated by the fan base than Jalen Brunson.

Overrated by Fuerza for sure.
Like Reply