Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: CP3 to PHX | Oubre, Rubio, '22 1st to OKC
(11-16-2020, 03:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Y'all are kidding, right?

Why would you think that? They would be literally without PG worth mentioning (even if they draft a capable rookie PG). Rubio was playing great for them and they were still far from playoffs.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 03:37 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 03:29 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I understand why PHO made the move, but I think it's a bit oversold how much better it makes them.  Rubio and Oubre are good at basketball too so there is a lot of talent walking out the door.  And at some point being 35 years old matters.

Agree. Phoenix is still just one serious CP3 injury away from being out of playoffs.

To be fair, we can honestly say the same thing about any team in the league without their top player(s). Even a LeBron led team missed the playoffs because he missed too many games; we all know what happened to GS last year, so on and so forth.

A KP injury is as much as a possibility, do we make the playoffs without a significant KP presence next year?  

The move doesn't make PHX a contender but they got a lot better, on par with DAL but their youth upside may be the difference; people forget Ayton only played 38 games last season.

PHX went on their undefeated bubble run without Oubre so doubt they'd miss him too much with Mikal Bridges (better 3/D potential) waiting in the wings. Oh and they got pick #10.
Like Reply
West:

1-4: Lakers, Clippers, Denver, GSW

Playoff teams that will slip: Mavs with KP injury, OKC probably drops out all together, Portland
Who Knows?: Houston with Harden/Westbrook status up in the air
Teams on the Rise: Memphis, Phoenix

Those last 4 spots are going to be a bloodbath this year.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 04:06 PM)cow Wrote: Teams on the Rise:  Memphis

I am not so sure about them. They were sort of a surprise last season. I think they lack real quality to fight for playoffs
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 04:12 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 04:06 PM)cow Wrote: Teams on the Rise:  Memphis

I am not so sure about them. They were sort of a surprise last season. I think they lack real quality to fight for playoffs

I think Memphis is on the rise, so is New Orleans. They have a decent coach now.
Like Reply
While I could fully see the Mavs be as good or better and still end up 6/7...I do NOT think they're in danger of dropping out.

Also depends on what else they do this offseason.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 06:38 PM)Drew Wrote: While I could fully see the Mavs be as good or better and still end up 6/7...I do NOT think they're in danger of dropping out.

The could be better and finish worse.  No idea how long KP misses and GSW is back in the mix and a lot of the youth loaded teams are sure to be better.  I think the 8th seed is going to be much closer to the 7th seed from the past year.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 06:38 PM)Drew Wrote: While I could fully see the Mavs be as good or better and still end up 6/7...I do NOT think they're in danger of dropping out.

I think in the West there is a big 4:  Lakers,Clippers, Denver & GSW. 
For me those are step ahead of the rest. Denver is young and coming and already finished top 3 twice, GSW will come rested and hungry, I expect some big moves with them, Clippers will value regular season more and Lakers are defending champs. 
Then for me it is wide open, you have veteran teams like Jazz,Portland & Rockets (at least until they trade Harden) and young teams who are too good to miss playoffs (Mavs & Suns) with other young and upcoming teams who are hungry for playoff: Kings,Memphis, Pelicans,Minnesota (all of those made recent changes in front office to be better)  
And the two that always seems rebuilding but then always remain competitive: Spurs and Thunder.

For me, even by just organic improvement I expect the Mavs to finish top 5 as long as KP and Luka plays 80% of games.
Like Reply

Totally agree. 

Only a long stretch of games without Luka would put a playoff birth in jeopardy. Their role players are too good when playing off of him, and they EXPECT to be there now.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 03:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Agree. Phoenix is still just one serious CP3 injury away from being out of playoffs.

They still have the #10 Pick. 

Either Killian Hayes falls to them, or Nesmith/Vassell. Thats going to be a beast young core.
Like Reply
Meh, I don't think this moves the needle too much. While CP3 was great last season, and proved to be a real leader, he'll still be making a ridiculous amount of money for a guy on the wrong side of thirty, with that kind of injury history.

Did Phoenix get better by swapping Rubio for Paul? Sure, but not that much as to easily rank them above the Mavs.
Like Reply
On the Zach Lowe and Windhorst podcast .... Rubio is the player the Thunder most likely hold onto the longest. They like to play with multiple guards. OKC has confidence that they can flip Green quickly if they need to. Lowe thinks they might can get two 2nds for Danny Green. Maybe a late 1st at the deadline if he's really frisky to start the season and shooting 3s at 40+%. There is a lot of interest in Oubre around the league, and several of teams tried to insert themselves as the 3rd team in this trade to get him until the very last minute.
Like Reply
If the Mavs get 4 games against each division rival that would be pretty significant as all may be below .500 teams this year.  Better than what the Clippers, Lakers, Suns and Warriors face.  (Poor Sactown)
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 10:44 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Rubio is the player the Thunder most likely hold onto the longest.  They like to play with multiple guards. OKC has confidence that they can flip Green quickly if they need to.  Lowe thinks they might can get two 2nds for Danny Green.    Maybe a late 1st at the deadline if he's really frisky to start the season and shooting 3s at 40+%.    There is a lot of interest in Oubre around the league, and several of teams tried to insert themselves as the 3rd team in this trade to get him until the very last minute.

Reading between the lines - we will bleed you dry if you want to trade for any of them. 

I really don't understand why they gifted Schroeder to Lakers. I think they could get more for him.

Btw: this team will not make playoffs, even if they resign Gallo.

Rubio
SGA, Ferguson
Oubre, Green, Bazley, Diallo, Dort
?, Roby
Adams, Muscala
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 10:56 AM)Oman Wrote: I really don't understand why they gifted Schroeder to Lakers. I think they could get more for him.

I mean, don't we have to consider the idea that the market for him just wasn't that great? I don't think they'd have chosen a weaker offer just to help the Lakers. 

We know Dirk doesn't like him. Now that I know you're from Slovenia, you may not be aware of this, but I promise you it's true: Dirk is a way better human being than he is a basketball player, so for many people around here, knowing Dirk isn't a fan (and they've played on the German national team together) goes a long way. Like, maybe Schroeder is really, really not a guy you want in your locker room?
Like Reply
Reportedly the Lakers were after Shroder because Lebron loves his game. They almost traded for him at the deadline last year according to Windhorst. But Lebron seems to have a way of alpha dogging guys like Rondo, D12 and McGee in line.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 11:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, don't we have to consider the idea that the market for him just wasn't that great? I don't think they'd have chosen a weaker offer just to help the Lakers. 

We know Dirk doesn't like him. Now that I know you're from Slovenia, you may not be aware of this, but I promise you it's true: Dirk is a way better human being than he is a basketball player, so for many people around here, knowing Dirk isn't a fan (and they've played on the German national team together) goes a long way. Like, maybe Schroeder is really, really not a guy you want in your locker room?

I find it hard to believe there aren't better offers. Philly is still without a PG and has a better pick than Lakers, for example. 

As far as Dirk not liking him - wasn't that a statement done like "10 years" ago? People change and Schroeder looked very focused in OKC. Perhaps he just needs a strong personality to keep him in line.

(11-17-2020, 11:10 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Reportedly the Lakers were after Shroder because Lebron loves his game

He is perfect for Lakers. Three times better than Rondo in same role.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 04:05 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 03:37 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 03:29 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I understand why PHO made the move, but I think it's a bit oversold how much better it makes them.  Rubio and Oubre are good at basketball too so there is a lot of talent walking out the door.  And at some point being 35 years old matters.

Agree. Phoenix is still just one serious CP3 injury away from being out of playoffs.

To be fair, we can honestly say the same thing about any team in the league without their top player(s). 

We can, but most of these top players arent 35 years old (will be 36 before the end of last year).  Also think we're letting recency bias effect our evaluation of CP3 right now based on a season that broke about as well as we could possible expect for him health wise.  He played in more games last year than he has in several seasons.   It's fair to wonder how much of that had to do with what amounted to a multi month rest break in the middle of the year during the shutdown, and if his body will start to breakdown around the playoffs in a more normal season. Hats off to Presti though. Not long ago Paul was one of the most untouchable contracts in the league and he has managed to turn him into an unbelievable haul.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 11:14 AM)omahen Wrote: I find it hard to believe there aren't better offers. 

Me, too, but since it's the offer they took, isn't that the logical explanation? 

And, none of us know the personality situation. I was merely offering it as a possible way of filling in the gaps...if more teams feel like the Mavs feel, then maybe that's WHY there weren't better offers. 

Shower Voice is correct that the Lakers have had no issues taking on knuckleheads in recent years. It's kind of a low key business model for them. Just saying.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 12:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Me, too, but since it's the offer they took, isn't that the logical explanation?

I still doubt. Why the hurry? Everyone knew dominos will start falling after CP3, Jrue. Might be some suitors were not ready on day 1, but they would be on day 3. More plausible explanation to me would be, that Schroeder simply wanted to go to LA. As Presti seems to be very fair with the players and helps them get where they want.
Like Reply