Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTRACT OPTIONS: THJ Opts In | WCS to opt OUT | Hayward opts OUT
(11-17-2020, 04:12 PM)omahen Wrote: Also, the last thing Celtics need is another mediocre pick in this draft.
They were reportedly trying to trade their picks to get higher. #14 and #18 could get them pretty high probably. However, this won't be done during the draft, so little to talk about on that front.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:00 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 05:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: So something like Maxi, Jackson, and Lee to Boston for Hayward

I would prefer losing Maxi than THJ. Where can I sign for this one? Smile

Why? Maxi is on a team friendly multi year contract. Makes no sense to give up an asset for free.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Why? Maxi is on a team friendly multi year contract. Makes no sense to give up an asset for free.

Because it is easier to replace him than THJ. If you trade THJ, you need to find PG or SG for MLE.

Luka, Brunson
THJ, Curry
Hayward, #18
DFS, MLE
KP, Powell, Bobi, vet min
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:22 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Why? Maxi is on a team friendly multi year contract. Makes no sense to give up an asset for free.

Because it is easier to replace him than THJ. If you trade THJ, you need to find PG or SG for MLE.

Luka, Brunson
THJ, Curry
Hayward, #18
DFS, MLE

KP is hurt.  Powell is coming back from a major injury and will be on a minutes restriction.  Bobi is always on a minutes restriction.  We can't afford to lose Maxi right now and still need to pick up another big or two.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:22 PM)omahen Wrote:

Luka, Brunson
THJ, Curry
Hayward, #18
DFS, MLE

Disagree. Guys with Maxis skillset are rare. 3&D bigs that can defend multiple positions are not easy to find. A lot easier to find a scorer like THJ.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:30 PM)cow Wrote: KP is hurt.  Powell is coming back from a major injury and will be on a minutes restriction.  Bobi is always on a minutes restriction.  We can't afford to lose Maxi right now and still need to pick up another big or two.

We need a MLE to replace Maxi (MIlsap, Saric, Hernangomez, Giles, Boucher, Leonard to name a few options) and vet min C to replace WCS. How many bigs do you need?

A far more difficult task to find a SG to replace THJ scoring. Galloway, Bradley or Justin Holiday look like best possible options at MLE - far downgrade from THJ imho.

(11-17-2020, 06:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 3&D bigs that can defend multiple positions are not easy to find. A lot easier to find a scorer like THJ.

I disagree. Please come up with a specific example, don't be theoretic.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:00 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 05:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: So something like Maxi, Jackson, and Lee to Boston for Hayward

I would prefer losing Maxi than THJ. Where can I sign for this one? Smile

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
Uh oh, I was wondering when someone from team Slovenia would start a rumble with someone from team Germany.

[Image: BitterJoyousFiddlercrab-max-1mb.gif]
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:36 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:30 PM)cow Wrote: KP is hurt.  Powell is coming back from a major injury and will be on a minutes restriction.  Bobi is always on a minutes restriction.  We can't afford to lose Maxi right now and still need to pick up another big or two.

We need a MLE to replace Maxi (MIlsap, Saric, Hernangomez, Giles, Boucher, Leonard to name a few options) and vet min C to replace WCS. How many bigs do you need?

With Maxi, I'd love PJ Tucker and Millsap. Trade one at the TDL once KP is back and healthy. Bobi and Powell aren't going to be reliable options in the rotations depending on matchups and back-to-back games.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Uh oh, I was wondering when someone from team Slovenia would start a rumble with someone from team Germany.

Kick ze Germans out Smile
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Kick ze Germans out Smile

I legitimately expect this to be Palestine vs Israel in five years.
Like Reply

A far more difficult task to find a SG to replace THJ scoring. Galloway, Bradley or Justin Holiday look like best possible options at MLE - far downgrade from THJ imho.

(11-17-2020, 06:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 3&D bigs that can defend multiple positions are not easy to find. A lot easier to find a scorer like THJ.

For starters...There are only 6 guys in the league that shot 37% from 3 and averaged more than 1 blk per game.
THJ is a great shooter but he is a mediocre playmaker and cannot really create for himself or others. He also is a bad defender. Volume shooting with mediocre defense is the trade mark skillset for most shooting guards in the current NBA. Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell, Barton, Robinson, Graham, both Bogdanovics, Forbes, Huerter, McLemore or Kennard just to name a few are all basically doing exactly what THJ did for the Mavs last season.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:30 PM)cow Wrote: KP is hurt. Powell is coming back from a major injury and will be on a minutes restriction. Bobi is always on a minutes restriction. We can't afford to lose Maxi right now and still need to pick up another big or two.

For starters...There are only 6 guys in the league that shot 37% from 3 and only averaged more than 1 blk per game.
THJ is a great shooter but he is a mediocre playmaker and cannot really create for himself or others. He also is a bad defender. Volume shooting with mediocre defense is the trade mark skillset for most shooting guards in the current NBA. Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell, Barton, Robinson, Graham, both Bogdanovics, Forbes, Huerter, McLemore or Kennard just to name a few all are basically doing exactly what THJ is doing for the Mavs.

Well-done.
Like Reply
Just because Maxi makes you think of Dirk and your eyes start watering is no reason to trade the dude.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell, Barton, Robinson, Graham, both Bogdanovics, Forbes, Huerter, McLemore or Kennard just to name a few all are basically doing exactly what THJ is doing for the Mavs.

This is mostly theory from your side, as I thought. Completely ignoring that we are speaking about situation, where THJ would be traded for Hayward and you have limited trade assets. You can't get any of Bogdanovic, Graham, Robinson. I doubt you can get Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell or Barton.  

The only two realistic from your list would be Forbes and McLemore. Neither of them is close to THJ from last season. Not even close. Kennard would actually be the only one, that could perhaps be had for picks and limited salaries. But you lose pick(s).

On the other hand realistic targets like Saric and Millsap are totally adequate Kleber replacements. And you keep the pick.
Like Reply
[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3520021]
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 07:06 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell, Barton, Robinson, Graham, both Bogdanovics, Forbes, Huerter, McLemore or Kennard just to name a few all are basically doing exactly what THJ is doing for the Mavs.

This is mostly theory from your side, as I thought. Completely ignoring that we are speaking about situation, where THJ would be traded for Hayward and you have limited trade assets. You can't get any of Bogdanovic, Graham, Robinson. I doubt you can get Hield, Fournier, Redick, Powell or Barton.  

The only two realistic from your list would be Forbes and McLemore. Neither of them is close to THJ from last season. Not even close. Kennard would actually be the only one, that could perhaps be had for picks and limited salaries. But you lose pick(s).

On the other hand realistic targets like Saric and Millsap are totally adequate Kleber replacements. And you keep the pick.

Why are we talking about a pick. I thought this was about THJ vs Maxi?
I don´t want to replace THJ with a similar player. The Mavs need more defense. On offense his scoring volume is easily replaced by Hayward and the Mavs still have Curry for spacing and scoring. Not to mention that Brunson will be back as well. I want to replace THJ with a defensive minded wing.

McLemore for example (especially in combination with Tucker) would be a really intriguing trade option. McLemore is easily a better defender and shot 40% from 3 on more than 6 attempts. That´s actually comparable to THJs numbers.

The Mavs need perimeter defense and as long as THJ plays 30+ minutes that will be a problem. Especially if he shares the floor with Luka. I would prefer a guy like Avery Bradley or Justin Holiday. Someone that can actually guard the opposing PG.

Losing Maxi would create a giant hole. Mavs cannot afford to lose him. They need to add another bigman. KP is out and Powell is coming back from a potentially career ending injury. WCS is opting out.
That leaves Maxi and Boban. Agree that Millsap would be the perfect fit. Remains to be seen if the Mavs have a chance to land him.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 07:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Why are we talking about a pick. I thought this was about THJ vs Maxi?
I don´t want to replace THJ with a similar player. The Mavs need more defense. On offense his scoring volume is easily replaced by Hayward and the Mavs still have Curry for spacing and scoring. Not to mention that Brunson will be back as well. I want to replace THJ with a defensive minded wing.

McLemore for example (especially in combination with Tucker) would be a really intriguing trade option. McLemore is easily a better defender and shot 40% from 3 on more than 6 attempts. That´s actually comparable to THJs numbers.

The Mavs need perimeter defense and as long as THJ plays 30+ minutes that will be a problem. Especially if he shares the floor with Luka. I would prefer a guy like Avery Bradley or Justin Holiday. Someone that can actually guard the opposing PG.

Losing Maxi would create a giant hole. Mavs cannot afford to lose him. They need to add another bigman. KP is out and Powell is coming back from a potentially career ending injury. WCS is opting out.
That leaves Maxi and Boban. Agree that Millsap would be the perfect fit. Remains to be seen if the Mavs have a chance to land him.

I already explained. Hypothetically you can trade for Hayward and you can chose to send THJ or Maxi. No matter which you send, it creates a hole you have to fill. I say, based on what we can get in FA or trades this year, it is easier to fill the Maxi hole than the THJ hole. So, go check available free agents or realistic trades and explain which move makes us better. I did my part Smile
Like Reply
Nah man it’ll be a lot easier to find a SG type player like THJ than what Maxi brings. He’s literally our best big defender.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 07:30 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 07:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Why are we talking about a pick. I thought this was about THJ vs Maxi?

I already explained. Hypothetically you can trade for Hayward and you can chose to send THJ or Maxi. No matter which you send, it creates a hole you have to fill. I say, based on what we can get in FA or trades this year, it is easier to fill the Maxi hole than the THJ hole. So, go check available free agents or realistic trades and explain which move makes us better. I did my part Smile

So did I. I just don´t agree with you Tongue

In the current situation the Mavs only have two bigman under contract that are ready to play big minutes on opening night. Maxi and Boban. The solution is adding another bigman. Not getting rid of the guy that will probably play 30+ minutes in the first couple of games.
Like Reply