Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTRACT OPTIONS: THJ Opts In | WCS to opt OUT | Hayward opts OUT
(11-17-2020, 03:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 03:45 PM)omahen Wrote: Unless he is being traded on his one year contract and they are waiting for draft result

That is what I was speculating....Hayward stays on his one year deal and then signs extension in DAL for less money.

Is it legal to extend a player for less money than his current contract?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1...5691268097
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 03:57 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Is it legal to extend a player for less money than his current contract?

Yes. @"DanSchwartzman" explained that you have limits to how much you can raise it, but theoretically you can downsize it in an unlimited way. If my memory serves.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...5915480064
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 03:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That is what I was speculating....Hayward stays on his one year deal and then signs extension in DAL for less mone

Totally. But for how much less...that's an important question.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 03:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That is what I was speculating....Hayward stays on his one year deal and then signs extension in DAL for less money.

But what are you paying for him. Players and picks? Do you think THJ+Wright+#18 is enough? 

More and more I think - since our (first) window will start in a season or two. Wouldn't it make sense to try to bring 2025 and 2027 picks into the picture to try to keep this year pick or even upgrade it? I am really intrigued by that Wright for Ntilikina idea (in exchange to remove pick protection).
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:04 PM)omahen Wrote: But what are you paying for him. Players and picks? Do you think THJ+Wright+#18 is enough?

@"ClutchDirk" found this:

Quote:KOC: "All day yesterday...the chatter was the Celtics were offering Hayward and their 3 draft picks for Jrue"

This means Hayward's value is NOT high.

I think straight up salary matching with a base swap of THJ for Hayward is enough. It saves both the Mavs and the Celtics from losing something for nothing and maybe getting both guys into a better situation. 

I would especially see no first round picks being involved unless there is some exchanging or shuffling of the current ones (#18....#14, #26, #30).
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:04 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 03:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That is what I was speculating....Hayward stays on his one year deal and then signs extension in DAL for less money.

But what are you paying for him. Players and picks? Do you think THJ+Wright+#18 is enough? 

More and more I think - since our (first) window will start in a season or two. Wouldn't it make sense to try to bring 2025 and 2027 picks into the picture to try to keep this year pick or even upgrade it? I am really intrigued by that Wright for Ntilikina idea (in exchange to remove pick protection).

Boston should be the team offering first, not us.
We will be doing them a favour by just giving them something, nevermind if that something is a good player who probably fits them better like THJ
Like Reply
I submit that the need to extend the deadline points to the idea that #18 will NOT be involved.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I would especially see no first round picks being involved unless there is some exchanging or shuffling of the current ones (#18....#14, #26, #30).

Also, the last thing Celtics need is another mediocre pick in this draft.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:04 PM)omahen Wrote: I am really intrigued by that Wright for Ntilikina idea (in exchange to remove pick protection).

You know I ALWAYS love the idea of Frank....

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Still hasn’t learned to shoot I don’t think. But defensively next to Luka? Love it.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I submit that the need to extend the deadline points to the idea that #18 will NOT be involved.

Most likely the case....though they could "tamper" and just pick for each other if they agree in principle by tomorrow night.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:09 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Boston should be the team offering first, not us.
We will be doing them a favour by just giving them something, nevermind if that something is a good player who probably fits them better like THJ

Exactly. Which is why we want to trade them THJ in the first place... Don't be silly, Boston will certainly not be paying to trade Hayward, unless there is a star coming their way. He is the best player in this deal and if anyone, Mavs will be paying picks.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...6679147522
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status...7612624904

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0097681408
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...9852198917
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 03:57 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Is it legal to extend a player for less money than his current contract?

Yes. @"DanSchwartzman" explained that you have limits to how much you can raise it, but theoretically you can downsize it in an unlimited way. If my memory serves.

The “when” part of this is important if it is an extend-and-trade.  Total is 3 seasons.  Haywood’s best position is to opt-into his final season and extend for two beyond that.  For that to happen, the deal is actually done in the new season so that 20/21 is one, 21/22 is two and 22/23 is three.  

The extension of the deadline past the draft and to the deadline for other PO’s allows time for teams to have more data.  For Dallas that might include who was available at various picks and knowing for sure whether THJ actually opted in or not.  Of course, there could be all sorts of non-Dallas implications.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 04:59 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Haywood’s best position is to opt-into his final season and extend for two beyond that.  For that to happen, the deal is actually done in the new season so that 20/21 is one, 21/22 is two and 22/23 is three.  

If Dallas is in on this (and Hayward is on board with making his way to Dallas), my educated guess is that they're working on trading for him with an opt-in and extend just as you describe. If they push it back to the new season, Dallas can also use Lee in a S&T to match salary without overburdening Boston with unnecessary payroll. So something like Maxi, Jackson, and Lee to Boston for Hayward would just work salary wise and give Boston a good forward to replace the one they'd otherwise lose for nothing.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:54 PM)Tyler Wrote: So something like Maxi, Jackson, and Lee to Boston for Hayward

I would prefer losing Maxi than THJ. Where can I sign for this one? Smile
Like Reply