Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
(04-08-2021, 07:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...4573884416

Mavs are playing a flow offense. If he hasn´t figured out that he won´t get iso/post plays called in a read/react offense that´s a problem. If he wants to get touches he needs to set screens, roll/pop or cut to the basket.
Feels like the Mavs have 4 guys that are playing a 4/5-out flow offense and one guy that wants to run a post heavy set play offense. KP is posting up all the time and all over the place. Even when he screens it´s not about the roll/pop. He is trying to force a switch and posts up. It´s not like he isn´t getting any post touches (10th in the league).
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 07:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...4573884416

There was one possession near the end of the game: THJ missed three, long rebound Brunson. KP totally alone right behind the three point line. Brunson doesn't pass the ball to KP but to Luka, who was near halfcourt. Luka himself had again the opportunity to pass to KP who still had a good look for a three point shot with his man not close enough to him. Luka also didn't pass the ball to him. Instead he passed the ball to THJ again who wasn't shooting good from three point land that game if I remember correctly.

KP had 23 points in three quarters and was our best scorer all game long. Either Rick has to get fired to not calling plays for KP or Luka has to sit out one or two games to think about his decision making and icing KP...This situation has been repeating itself every other game and it is just not acceptable anymore. Icing KP that way makes us a worse team and contributes to losses.

If KP takes 5 shots in the 4th quarter and the ball moves better on offense, the Mavs win the game.

My only explanation to all of this is that there maybe is an agreement between KP and the Mavs to trade him this offseason and that's maybe why the Mavs don't feel the need to involve him much more in their offensive system anymore at times...But even that wouldn't justify this self-injurous behaviour by the coach and Luka...

Another thought: Was there really something like a wrist injury or did KP maybe say something internally which led to a one game suspension which the Mavs didn't want to get public? Why haven't we heard about this ominous wrist injury earlier if it allegedly has been bothering KP for the past few weeks?

If I were KP, I would be also really pissed right now.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 07:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs are playing a flow offense. If he hasn´t figured out that he won´t get iso/post plays called in a read/react offense that´s a problem. If he wants to get touches he needs to set screens, roll/pop or cut to the basket.
Feels like the Mavs have 4 guys that are playing a 4/5-out flow offense and one guy that wants to run a post heavy set play offense. KP is posting up all the time and all over the place. Even when he screens it´s not about the roll/pop. He is trying to force a switch and posts up. It´s not like he isn´t getting any post touches (10th in the league).

Do you mean Luka dribbling, dribbling, passing to the next guy on the perimeter, getting the ball back directly, pass faking, dribbling, dribbling and finally chucking a step back three while KP stands next to him having a much better look for a catch and shoot three? Is that the flow offense you're talking about? Wink
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 07:57 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Do you mean Luka dribbling, dribbling, passing to the next guy on the perimeter, getting the ball back directly, pass faking, dribbling, dribbling and finally chucking a step back three? Is that the flow offense you're talking about? Wink

You realize that the Mavs are running the same offense when Luka is on the bench? Point is that with KP at center we aren´t getting any pick and roll action and a lot of post up attempts. The post up takes away the drive for the ballhandler. Cannot attack a clogged paint. Lack of penetration leads to the things you mentioned. Passing the ball around the perimeter and late clock iso chucking.
I don´t think Luka is without fault. Same for Brunson. But I also think that KP is more or less forcing their hand. If he posts up they cannot drive. Wouldn´t be suprised if both of them aren´t happy with KP.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 08:05 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You realize that the Mavs are running the same offense when Luka is on the bench? Point is that with KP at center we aren´t getting any pick and roll action and a lot of post up attempts. The post up takes away the drive for the ballhandler. Cannot attack a clogged paint. Lack of penetration leads to the things you mentioned. Passing the ball around the perimeter and late clock iso chucking.
I don´t think Luka is without fault. Same for Brunson. But I also think that KP is more or less forcing their hand. If he posts up they cannot drive. Wouldn´t be suprised if both of them aren´t happy with KP.

Didn't see much post-ups or post-up tries by KP in the 4th quarter. So I don't think that was the problem in the 4th quarter.
The Mavs are not dribbling the ball 20 seconds on the perimeter with Luka on the bench. Brunson penetrates and moves the ball more and earlier in the shot clock. Luka's game vs the Rockets was atrocious. One of his worst games as a Mav I would say. No harm done if he sees his mistakes and improves and improving includes NOT ICING KP! Again: Near the end of the game KP was free near the three point line when Luka passed the ball to THJ for a second try three and he was free at the three point line when Luka was chucking a late game step back three.

Luka's dribbling and step back threes can't be part of our offense for closing out games anymore. It was far too often last year and far too often it was not crowned with success. The offense gets stagnant because these plays and you know what the opposite of stagnant is? FLOW!  Smile
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 08:18 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Luka's dribbling and step back threes can't be part of our offense for closing out games anymore. It was far too often last year and far too often it was not crowned with success. The offense gets stagnant because these plays and you know what the opposite of stagnant is? FLOW!  Smile

Ya I think Luka was just playing lazy. He couldn't be stopped when he drove. He would get 1-1 and an easy basket or a wide open shooter in the corner. He could have ran that over and over again. No reason to shoot step backs except he probably got tired.

One observation with KP is that a lot of times he is behind Luka which is not optimal if he wants to get the ball. Luka has great vision but he is mostly looking at what's left and right of him. He rarely drops the ball off to KP or spins around and passes to KP. I wish Rick would put KP somewhere else and have another player set the screen for Luka.

One play/action I wish the Mavs would run OVER and OVER because it can't be stopped is setting up Luka on the block near the basket and having KP throw in the ball to him where he is close enough that his defender has to decide whether to stay on KP or dig/double Luka. They did this one time and I am like this action is unstoppable. Either Luka gets a high percentage shot or KP will get a wide open outside shot. They passed the ball a couple times to each other, kind of like monkey in the middle. It puts the help defender in an impossible position.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 08:24 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: He couldn't be stopped when he drove. He would get 1-1 and an easy basket or a wide open shooter in the corner.

That is just not true. Luka had 17 2pt attempts and score only 8 of them. He was trying to drive and post up, but wasn't very successful.

Luka had bad game, we all saw it. Even himself acknowledged that after the game. No need to make big deal out of it, happens to everybody. I think Luka bad fourth quarter and not passing to KP had more to do with his frustration about himself which led to more forcing than some Luka and KP hate eachother conspiracy theory. Luka was passing to KP whole game, numerous times.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 08:24 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya I think Luka was just playing lazy. He couldn't be stopped when he drove. He would get 1-1 and an easy basket or a wide open shooter in the corner. He could have ran that over and over again. No reason to shoot step backs except he probably got tired.

One observation with KP is that a lot of times he is behind Luka which is not optimal if he wants to get the ball. Luka has great vision but he is mostly looking at what's left and right of him. He rarely drops the ball off to KP or spins around and passes to KP. I wish Rick would put KP somewhere else and have another player set the screen for Luka.

One play/action I wish the Mavs would run OVER and OVER because it can't be stopped is setting up Luka on the block near the basket and having KP throw in the ball to him where he is close enough that his defender has to decide whether to stay on KP or dig/double Luka. They did this one time and I am like this action is unstoppable. Either Luka gets a high percentage shot or KP will get a wide open outside shot. They passed the ball a couple times to each other, kind of like monkey in the middle. It puts the help defender in an impossible position.

Trust me, even when KP is behind Luka, Luka know most of the time where he is. Wink  So it should be no problem to pass him the ball even then.

(04-08-2021, 08:49 AM)omahen Wrote: That is just not true. Luka had 17 2pt attempts and score only 8 of them. He was trying to drive and post up, but wasn't very successful.

Luka had bad game, we all saw it. Even himself acknowledged that after the game. No need to make big deal out of it, happens to everybody. I think Luka bad fourth quarter and not passing to KP had more to do with his frustration about himself which led to more forcing than some Luka and KP hate eachother conspiracy theory. Luka was passing to KP whole game, numerous times.

Having a bad shooting game is one thing. But then shooting even more and not passing the ball (to KP) is just selfish.
Like Reply
Look.. We've seen this all year.  KP standing there open or pinning a guy, and Luka goes one on one and gets a bad shot...we've also seen him get bad shots and make them...we've also seen him get good shots.  He can ALWAYS get a shot off.

In the fourth, Luka was 4-5 in the paint, 0-3 from 3 (two of those in the paint shots were when the game was over, btw).  KP in the 3rd (because he only got two passes in the 4th, one shovel fired at his ankles by DFS when the game was over and one where he was stripped) was 3-6 from 2 and 1-1 from three.  His last shot came with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.  That's UNacceptable and if you want to be a great PG who plays on winning teams, you have to realize when a teammate has it going and get him the ball in the best spot to take advantage of that.  That goes for role players, but it goes DOUBLE for your "Robin".

Look, Batman was the man, but when he needed someone he didn't tell Robin to hang out in the squad room while he and one of Gordon's detectives took on the Joker and Clayface...he ALWAYS took Robin.

Luka hasn't figured that out.  He regularly treats KP like KP is one of his tools on his utility belt and not his sidekick that he will have to trust and win or lose with at times.  Maybe its because he doesn't like KP or maybe KP calls Luka out too much for jacking bad shots.  Maybe KP is just a jerk...for whatever reason, he's Robin and Luka and KP need to work out the personal stuff.  Luka once said "There are no friends on the court." - so he should figure that out and work it out.

There is NO conceivable good reason for Luka not to run a set to get KP the ball in the fourth rather than take contested 3s, other than he blew it.

The only fault that I put on KP about last night is if his frustration was about his shot or losing a very winnable game.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Something needs to improve.  There chemistry is not good and you can see they really have very little joy playing together.   Hopefully this is more of a Embid/Simmons issue where last year the common thought was they couldn't excel together.  Both were gifted players but weren't able to combine their powers into a super power.   I guess Philly will still be measured in the playoffs and that is TBD.   Although the results this year appear much better than last year.   Hopefully KP and Luka can have a similar growth and not be like Kobe and Shaq ending(sans the titles).   I still believe KP here (and healthy, big if) is the quickest, best way to be a championship team.  

As for my take, I really dislike the lack of ball movement.  I really envisioned the 2020 Mavs would play like the Spurs or the 2011 Mavs or the championship Warriors teams.    Where they got good shots on most possessions and the ball would move all over the court.  Luka is so good that they can win with this style of offense, I just prefer the ball movement offense to the iso Harden Rocket offense.  I don't believe this type of offense, despite Luka's greatness, is a way to win a championship either. 

I think blame lies with several people.  KP, Luka, front office, coaching staff.   Luka plays his game and typically makes the right play.  Although, I just have the feeling he treats KP like DFS (or others).  As in, if he creates and they are open, he will make the right play.    I would like to see him view KP closer to an equal.  In that, he thinks it is responsibility to create good looks for KP, give him more touches when he is hot, and when he is cold looks for ways to get him easy baskets.  Let him touch the ball more, even it is a give and go or reversing the ball.  If you consider yourself elite, you want to touch the ball more.   The DFS types can deal with not getting a lot of touches besides open jumpers, guys who think they are elite want to be involved.
Like Reply
Ya so I worry that Luka/Rick want to just be the Harden Houston Rockets which sort of leaves KP in a spot where he isn't maximized. KP is a guy you should be able to play even when you want to "go small" but I wonder if Rick would rather have like Maxi/Theis types close the games instead of KP.

I wonder if at some point they try to move KP for guard or wing that fits more what Rick wants to do. It's so important now to be able to have all 5 defenders switch and close out in their rotations. KP and many other centers can't do that. We saw Maxi/Melli able to do it. You could find an upgrade for Melli that doesn't cost max money. I just wonder in terms of team construction if Mavs will eventually cash in KP for a star SG (or PG) to play next to Luka (again following the Rockets model).
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 09:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Something needs to improve.  There chemistry is not good and you can see they really have very little joy playing together.  

Yea, there is definitely something there.  It might be as simple as their games not fitting together.  Or it might be Luka wanting to put up Harden MVP numbers.  Or it might be KP at his age isn't ready to just be a spot up shooter.  Some combination of the above.

Also, IMO you're not getting a star in return for KP so it makes it unlikely he gets traded even if the Mavs want to.

What kind of non star packages would people be ok with in a KP trade?  

I know a lot of people would be all over Brogdon + Turner but not really sure that works since they already have Sabonis.

Lonzo + Steven Adams + some asset FOR  KP and Powell?   Too little?
Like Reply
I just remember that possession in the 2nd or 3rd quarter where KP waved for the ball at the top of the arc while Luka pounded the rock on the wing, looked at KP and then continued to pound the rock..  Yeah, KP's quick trigger would probably have let that fly, but I'll take that brick over Luka deflating the ball and then taking a contested, step-back three...which he did and which he also bricked.  I have listened to the KP interview but reading it sure sounds passive aggressive and he has every right to be.  I know KP isn't Dirk, who is, but Dirk played in a flow offense and when he called for the ball in his spots, he got it.  Yes, Luka is the alpha on the team but we didn't pay an arm and a leg to acquire KP, nor give him a max extension, nor coddle his playing time to avoid injuries for him to deployed as he is.  I'm not saying KP isn't culpable in some of this but we either need to sit Carlisle/Luka down to figure this out or we just need to trade KP.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 11:36 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: What kind of non star packages would people be ok with in a KP trade?  

I know a lot of people would be all over Brogdon + Turner but not really sure that works since they already have Sabonis.

- Brogdon + Turner would be a yes from me, I love both those guys. Turner is still a guy that can be tough to play in small-ball situations but I still like the trade.
- Lonzo + Adams for KP and Powell maybe? Seems weighted towards the NO side. We might want another asset (they have a ton of picks) for this. Adams is fine in some matchups but and I think is a decent regular season big to eat up minutes. 

The other trade I like probably the best would be a Collins + something else package for KP. Collins I think would be a guy who's skills aligns more with what Mavs want to do offensively and defensively. In this scenario (unlike the TDL) we are keeping Maxi so that you can play them together. I think Rick would be able to keep both on the floor in crunch time. The trick is here could you get another good player like Huerter? That would be amazing.
Like Reply
I'm struggling to see many trade options in the offseason that make sense for both sides. Washington feels like the most likely landing spot with a package around Bertans/Bryant/lottery pick. The Mavs would really have to fall in love with a prospect to pull the trigger on something like this.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 12:24 PM)loki Wrote: I'm struggling to see many trade options in the offseason that make sense for both sides. Washington feels like the most likely landing spot with a package around Bertans/Bryant/lottery pick. The Mavs would really have to fall in love with a prospect to pull the trigger on something like this.

Mavs and draft picks scare the bejesus out of me.  haha

I've been thinking about an unhappy for unhappy scenario centered around Siakam and KP.  

We could also swing back around to GSW that has to realize the limitations of Oubre/Wiggins and that Wiseman might have been a miss or too much of a project for the Curry/Thompson/Green window.  There was at least smoke there.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 12:24 PM)loki Wrote: I'm struggling to see many trade options in the offseason that make sense for both sides. Washington feels like the most likely landing spot with a package around Bertans/Bryant/lottery pick. The Mavs would really have to fall in love with a prospect to pull the trigger on something like this.
KP-Brandon Ingram could make sense for both teams and even both players. Could all be orchestrated by Schwartz 

Run with that squad for a year. Summer of 2022. Luka and Jokic get together Kawhi/Lebron style and collude to join forces. Jokic/Schwartz demand a trade. Mavs trade all our assets including newly picked 2022 FRP, 25 FRP, 27 FRP and 29 FRP. 

Luka/Ingram/Jokic big 3
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 11:36 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Yea, there is definitely something there.  It might be as simple as their games not fitting together.  Or it might be Luka wanting to put up Harden MVP numbers.  Or it might be KP at his age isn't ready to just be a spot up shooter.  Some combination of the above.

Also, IMO you're not getting a star in return for KP so it makes it unlikely he gets traded even if the Mavs want to.

What kind of non star packages would people be ok with in a KP trade?  

I would love to be a fly on the wall during practices, team travel or during team activities.  Do Luka and KP communicate much?  Do they share thoughts on what they like, don't like on the court?  I am sure the Mavs have a much better take than we do.  Is it just a matter of trying to incorporate and true Alpha and want to be alpha?  Or is it something more.

I will re-state again, I think the easiest and quickest way to a championship in Dallas is with a healthy KP.   If I was ever going to trade him, I would want to really get a close look at KP as a 1B or a Robin for an extended period of time.  As of now, for several reasons, I don't believe we have seen much of this.  I would hate to trade him without seeing him in that role.
Like Reply
I'm seeing what a lot of you are seeing.  Terrible chemistry between KP and Luka.  During the game and post-game.  To me, the tell-tale sign is Luka all but force-feeding Melli the ball for him to shoot.  But ignoring KP to the point that KP is wailing his arms at the top of the key when he is wide open. 

KP is going to demand a trade, if he has not already. 

And Luka's post-game comments "isn't anyone entitled to a bad game?" is really off-putting.  He is deliberating freezing KP out, it's not like Luka is working for great shots and it just isn't falling when he's the best option.
Like Reply
(04-08-2021, 01:17 PM)DaRiv Wrote: KP is going to demand a trade, if he has not already.

From your fingers to God’s eyes, my guy.
Like Reply