Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
(02-21-2021, 02:32 PM)Tyler Wrote: Carlisle has talked many times about how it's his responsibility to put KP in a position to succeed. And the most recent example of KP sharing an idea with Carlisle -- who immediately made a change to the substitution pattern to support his player -- is a clear example of effective communication. That's a good thing.
Maybe I worded it poorly. My perception is that KP had to go to RC to tell him that he needed more minutes consecutively. It wasn't RC going to him. Then again, maybe it was RC going to him and trying to figure it out. There can be some importance put in who had to initiate that discussion IMO.
Like Reply
Zinger went to the media to make the case for longer minutes.
Like Reply
The trouble with trading KP is I doubt anyone would be surprised if he put it all together and averaged 30/12 and put himself in MVP contention. Clearly he’s not that player now .... but Cuban made that mistake once with Nash. I just don’t think you trade a player with KP’s potential unless he demands a trade. Don’t forget plenty of people called for the Mavs to trade Dirk too. Especially after he was embarrassed by GSW in the “buzzsaw playoffs”. Carlisle just needs to develop the kid and see what happens.
Like Reply
(02-21-2021, 04:44 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Zinger went to the media to make the case for longer minutes.
I disagree. He told the media about a conversation he had with RC. I think that's much different. The tid bit I gleened from it (it's reading into the quote, but still) is when he said something like he hadn't told the coach before about that bit of information. 

It might be a different way of getting there to say that KP had to go to coach instead of coach going to him, so I could accept if that perception is wrong and am not putting a ton of stock into it. However, there is a difference in my mind of who went to who first to discuss it.
Like Reply
(02-21-2021, 03:09 PM)Kammrath Wrote: You are right, his individual numbers are better and look quite good.....

....the problem is that his team impact has been AWFUL. 

His on/off this year is -6.4 (-10.8 defensively) and last year he was +3.4 (+1.1 defensively)

The team is getting murdered when he plays, especially defensively. So his individual numnbers are good, but team success has been almost non-existent when he plays.

Right that's why I am wondering what things could look like if we change up his frontcourt partner and/or responsibilities. You have been campaigning for KP to play next to a center for a while now. KP I think as a sometimes center makes a lot of sense, such as at the end of games when teams go small. KP as a full-time center I think is failing at least defensively. Maxi not playing well defensively this year is also not helping the situation. I would like to see some different options including trading for a big that might fit KP better.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1363...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
Like Reply
(02-22-2021, 01:07 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1363...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

What some ignore when talking about KP...

And same pattern as last year when returning from injury with more prep time...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
KP out tonight after a long rest?  Maybe a trade brewing!
Like Reply
League Sources Say Mavericks Quietly Gauging Kristaps Porzingis' Trade Value

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933...rade-value
Like Reply
Still three years away from KP being paid for.  We are fucked if we can't rescue him from the cliff his fallen off of.
Like Reply
People here overthink contracts and trade values. Much worse players with bad contracts have been moved. Also for some teams the fact that he is locked in would make him more alluring.
Like Reply
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/2/22/...-porzingis
Like Reply
Well shucks.  KP IS a unicorn.  A unique basketball player with unique skills....great at some things, good at others, and poor at a few more.  So...I have to agree with Carlisle: it is his responsibility to put KP in a position to succeed.  In fact, it's the coaching responsibility to put every player in a position to succeed... to determine how to most effectively use every single player.  And the coaches are failing to do so.  You can see this when the Mavs play good in spits and spurts...a very disjointed game.  I am very hard on coaches.  Not because I am a coach, but because I have been responsible for utilizing teams of people to best effect.  How can you tell if the coaches are doing their job?  If the team is running like a finely tuned machine...win or lose.  I say win or lose because even if your team is running like a finely tuned machine and you lack talent you can't win all of them...but you will get some that you should have lost.
Ah well...this old driveway point guard likes his Mavs...
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 01:02 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: People here overthink contracts and trade values. Much worse players with bad contracts have been moved. Also for some teams the fact that he is locked in would make him more alluring.

The problem is not trading him. The problem are the assets left after you do. We never build up asset capital,then we sunk four 2nd rounders for the Wright experience and now another three firsts for a Unicorn ride. Turns out when two awful FOs do business there are lose-lose trades.Well we did it with the Kings already.
Like Reply
Just my take on whole KP deal.

Maybe it will sound ridiculous but i gave up on KP being regular all star type of player last year. I think it was painfully obvious last year already, that he can´t play the whole season. I think he can do 70 at best and even that´s questionable.

We got a player that you have to babysit and give a superstar treatment, hope that load management will keep him healthy and HOPE he is ready to go for playoffs and will give you his best in games where you need him most. I quess i am an optimist, but at this point this is the best scenario I can see.

So i came to terms with this last season and made my peace with it. Then I put myself in Donnie shoes and figured (based on his contract), he wont get traded this season yet, but could be traded maybe next year, when his contract looks a bit better with 2 years off. Precondition is of course that he remains healthy and puts up relatively good numbers.
If he would, meanwhile,  suffer another devastating injury it would put Mavs in very hard situation. So priority is keeping him healthy, that´s why i don´t mind even if he sits 1 out of every 10 games anymore.

I don´t believe he will get traded this year. Especially now when his value is at an all time low. Mavs have to work with what they got. Keep him healthy, build his value and hope he comes trough come playoff time. But i would trade him next year if I could. If Mavs can get two serviceable players ala THJ for him, go for it I say. It doesn´t need to be a superstar. I would trade him for John Collins straight out for example. He is just too big of a liability.

That said i didn´t mind (and still don´t) that Mavs traded for him. He has value. You will get something good eventually. Better to have KP under 150m, than not have capital at all in my opinion. People who say Mavs should´t have made that trade just because he is fragile, forget that Mavs wouldn´t sign anybody even close to his level and that´s reality.

Now to the hate. What irritates me about his game is his softness. He doesn´t jump for most rebounds, is scared to go for contested ones, scared of the paint, eyes shut when trying to putback dunk or get a rebound between bodies. I didn´t watch him in New York, but after a season and a half in Dallas I think his biggest problem is fear. Plain and simple. He plays like a guy, who suffered a hard injury and doesn´t trust his body. Most of us have been there. I think that when he goes up he is not thinking about basketball, but that something might break when he comes down. It passes for most guys, but  I think, given his body and history, it is way too deep in his head and it will stop him becoming the player he could be even if he manages to stay healthy. I won´t even go to his post game, although i think it actually got a bit better this year.

Had to put it out of my system. Sorry for the long post gents.
Slovenia out.
Like Reply
I don’t mind load management with KP at all. He’s just got to be better when he does play, on both sides of the court and on the boards.
Like Reply
I am still hopeful that he looks better as the season goes on. Remember Jaren Jackson had meniscus surgery and is still out and he's only 21 years old. So it's not crazy to think that KP's defense gets better over time.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 01:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am still hopeful that he looks better as the season goes on. Remember Jaren Jackson had meniscus surgery and is still out and he's only 21 years old. So it's not crazy to think that KP's defense gets better over time.

And another thing that we're all overlooking/minimalizing is that KP had no training camp and essentially has no conditioning. 

Dude looks gassed out there. He came back early from surgery and was thrown into the fire. I understand a lot of people are calling that an excuse, and it is, but it's also true. And if we explained Luka's slow start to poor conditioning, why can't we give KP the same excuse?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-24-2021, 01:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And another thing that we're all overlooking/minimalizing is that KP had no training camp and essentially has no conditioning. 

Yes, the optimistic view must include the above as a foundational principle. Hopefully, he'll look much better, eventually.
Like Reply
RE: KP's sore back

Here is what Brad is being told...

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1365014359555112961

Hurt his back doing stamina work so badly he has had to miss 3+ games? Call me 1) skeptical or 2) scared for his long term health. One of the two.
Like Reply