Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 111, Clippers 154
Mavs Blown Out in Game 5
Porzingis remains out with sore knee

The Mavericks flat got taken to the woodshed. The scoreline reflects the most points allowed in a game in franchise history. Oof!

Game Story

Earlier in the day, the fans got the bad news that KP was ruled out for the game. Luka and Burke had been listed as probable, and DFS as questionable (hip issues), but all three were eventually available. Beverley was still out for LA. 

Both coaches went with the same starting units that they had used in Game 4. 

Dallas got off to a bright start, building a 7-point advantage at 8:26. By 6:41, the Clippers took the lead. After one, the Mavs were down 22-41.

Our boys played the Clips pretty close in the second and third quarters, but never could sustain a run. Going into the fourth, they were down 86-111.

The fourth quarter was largely garbage time, and Burke was the only starter who recorded time on the court. When the buzzer mercifully sounded, the Mavericks had surrendered 154 points. 

Analytics

The Clippers lit the place up with their torrid shooting, completing 63% of their shots, both from beyond the arc and overall. The Mavs were out-rebounded 31-49, and lost 27 points to turnovers. 

Players

Luka had 22 points, but shot only 6-17 from the field and missed 5 of his 14 FTAs. He also had 8 rebounds and 4 assists, but turned the ball over 5 times. He appeared quite frustrated during the game, drawing a technical foul in the second quarter. The Clippers were their most obnoxious selves, the officiating left something to be desired, and LA made an adjustment defending him. 

Doc had his players double-team Luka in the paint, and show hard on the pick and roll, and dared the other Mavs to beat them. They were cutting off the passing lanes and clogging the paint, and it was difficult for Luka to get off a good shot or find one for his teammates. 

At one point, Marcus Morris ran over and stepped on Luka’s sprained ankle on a dead play.  There was a significant question as to whether the move was intentional, but nothing was called. Morris said after the game that he was not going to apologize, and found it crazy that anyone would think he would intentionally hurt another player. Looked like a dirty play to me. 

The other starters shot efficiently, combining for 55 points on 20-31 field goal attempts. Hardaway and Morris were assessed double technicals in the 2nd quarter, and Tim got a flagrant for slapping Paul George upside the head. (Go, Timmy!) The bench was mostly terrible, and its seven players combined for 34 points, including a quarter of garbage time. 

Observations

I thought Ced Ceballos summed up the factors behind the Mavericks looking like a totally different team from the one that played in the last game:

—   KP didn’t play. 

—   Mavs allowed their frustration with the Clippers and the refs to distract them and affect their play.

—   Their defense was not affecting the Clips, no matter what they tried. LA scored at will, to All-Star Game levels. With KP out, Maxi had to guard Zubacs, meaning DFS was on Kawhi and THJ on Paul George, which meant they were both overmatched. Coach couldn’t do much about it, because they were lacking enough defensive firepower on hand to compete. 

—    Paul George found his shot again, and he scored 35 points on 12-18 shooting. 

—    The “real Clippers” showed up. This is probably the most important factor. This team looked like the juggernaut we have been expecting to see all along. 

Rick deemed the match a poor performance on his team’s part, and felt it was disappointing. He didn’t think his guys responded well to the Clips’ physicality. He was ejected himself  after receiving two techs. The play he was trying to respond to was a situation where THJ was standing at the free throw line with the ball, preparing to take his free throws, when Doc was granted a timeout to challenge the foul which had resulted in the free throws. Rick was angry because he thought the challenge was late and could not be granted under the rules. He asked the ref about it, did not receive a satisfactory answer, and said a couple more things that resulted in techs. So, the team was coached by an assistant for 1.5 quarters, possible adding even more to the chaos.  

I found this game a little bewildering. Once I heard KP was out again, I was not expecting the Mavs to steal another game, but I thought they would at least compete. They didn’t look sharp at all, turning the ball over, not going after rebounds, not going hard after loose balls, seemingly lacking a sense of urgency. Maybe they were just exhausted, and several were playing hurt. Or, maybe the Clippers had a next level that was just a tier above what the Mavs’ short-staffed and beat-up players could match. 

Next. Game 6 is on Thursday. Even if we don’t win, I would like to see the team give a respectable performance, if that is within their grasp. I’m not giving up hope for that unless I have to. Get that mojo back, Mavs!!
Like Reply
I knew game was lost as soon as it was announced KP is out. Clippers already showed how much better they are by beating Mavs by 20 points in 15 minutes of game 4, but then stopped playing. No way they would repeat same mistake again. 

From Mavs point of view I really don't care about the final score. It was clear it will be a loss and losing by 10 or 40 is more or less the same, as only the win counts. I am only a bit dissapointed, that bench also got spanked hard in the last quarter. Jackson, Wright, Reaves and other end of bench guys showed nothing worthy, that would bring hope to move them up in the ranks. Unfortunately, they just solidified their "end of bench and likely out of the team next season" position. I mean Reaves is still young and can develop, but it will take years - Doe doe level is his ceiling. I don't mind him as a two way if they really can't find anything better. Wright, Jackson and Cleveland hopefully played last minutes for Dallas. Hopefully in a sense, there will be no more blowout losses which is the only way they see minutes and I just don't see any point having them on the team next season.  Wright just doesn't fit in the system and is probably troubled by his role, not even contributing on defense anymore. Jackson is a lost cause and Cleveland is just too old to develop. Do we really can't find a 19 year old to groom in a 2way contract?

Hopefully, Mavs will gather all the guys for one last push - it could be a long break after that and it is surely worth it. The important thing for the Mavs is to draw energy from this loss, either from a will to prove they are better than that, from bad refs or from dirty plays. I would like to see (at least) one more fight and (at least) one more good and close game. I will be satisfied with the series, if they lose by not more than 10 points, everything more is excellent. And they showed they are capable of beating the Clipps. Another blowout loss would throw a bit of a dark shadow on great performances in first four games.

(08-26-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: He didn’t think his guys responded well to the Clips’ physicality.

I see this as a great lesson, what playoff basketball is. Trashtalking, physicality is all part of it. Mavs need a couple of enforcers, a couple of Bev, Morris types. I am dissapointed role players don't jump in and protect their star from a dirty move created by Morris. In my opinion his move was intentional.

(08-26-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: the ref

First of all, just to be clear - Mavs didn't lose because of the refs. But once again, the ref crew was a disaster and by far the worst factor on the field. Even worse then Mavs. They have zero feeling about the game, I am just amazed how stupid a couple of calls were:
- Mavs down by 30 or something, have a clean fastbreak resulting in a dunk, and the refs stopped the game because of something that happened on the other side of the court (Harrell pulling one of Mavs away from the ball, not affecting the game at all). Smart thing would be to stay quiet, as no one cared about that thing and audience enjoys a nice dunk. If you really have to blow your whistle, than there is no way that is a common foul! It is flagrant or everyone will start stopping fastbreaks like that. 
- Mavs down by 30 or something and the refs called a challenge once Hardaway already received ball to shoot a free throw. Again - smart thing would be to stay quiet. Worst case scenario Doc would give them a cynical smile and game would go on. This way they gave Rick an excuse to get thrown out and Mavs another case to complain about refs.

On a more competitive note - George and Kawhi get away with just ridiculously obvious offensive push offs. They would call multiple offensive fouls on 99 % of other NBA players if they would pull moves like that. On the other hand - Luka did get away with a clear flop Smile
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: the officiating left something to be desired

I hate saying this but I think it is 100% the truth:

The game would have been totally different if the officiating would have been good in the first half. The Mavs need to grow up and learn how to play through it, BUT the reffing was TERRIBLE. That Kane Fitzgerald feels like Tim Donaghy.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 06:53 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: the officiating left something to be desired

The game would have been totally different if the officiating would have been good in the first half. The Mavs need to grow up and learn how to play through it, BUT the reffing was TERRIBLE. That Kane Fitzgerald feels like Tim Donaghy.
Is it incompetence or agenda to get the Clippers to the WCF...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 07:12 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 06:53 AM)Kammrath Wrote:

Is it incompetence or agenda to get the Clippers to the WCF...

Probably both. It feels like the league really wants the Lakers-Clippers matchup. LeBron is getting older and showed some signs of a beginning decline in the last few weeks.
They also lost some money due to the COVID break. Might as well go for the matchup that generates the most attention.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 04:32 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs need a couple of enforcers, a couple of Bev, Morris types.
Those guys aren’t enforcers, they’re just dirty players that try to cause injuries. No place on our team or in the NBA for players like them.

Give me a player that can get under the other teams skin through clean, pesky, physical play and who will knock the teeth out of those guys when they try to take out another ankle or knee
Like Reply
The goon squad was fantastic on offense and defense.  Mavs didn't respond well. 

I really hope KP can play in game 6 and give the Clippers the best game they can. 

I think the Mavs should take it as a compliment the chip favorites got all worked up over them.  Luka Magic gets under the skin lol.
Like Reply
A lot of stuff happened in this game and in this series but the main thing is we just have to have KP. We can't beat this Clippers team without our second best player, period. The series may already be over but it's definitely over if KP sits. The Clippers are riding high to the point where they might be disrespecting the Mavs who I think will be extra motivated to win this next game. If KP plays we have a shot, else it's just over. We don't have enough guns to overcome a very talented team.

This is why I am annoyed that the Mavs don't try to replace Lee in the first round, I can't imagine any other team doing that. Was there really nobody out there that could help us?
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 07:36 AM)DrMav Wrote: Those guys aren’t enforcers, they’re just dirty players that try to cause injuries. No place on our team or in the NBA for players like them.

Throughout the history, NBA is full of those guys. I am not saying guys that go for intentional injury, but guys that play tough, protect our stars, basically what you described later on. It's not like Bev and Morris are just intentional injuries and nothing else. I guess that a line with these kind of guys is very thin.
Like Reply
I agree with most of what's been said in this thread and I have my issues with the refs, with the Clippers'd demeanor and with the problems arising due to KP's injury but come on: Our defense was a total embarassement and it's the primary reason we lost. Period. I know we are not a defensive team and our strategy usually is to outgun the opponent but I have seldom seen anything like this.

KP will hepl tremendously and if he can't come back, this series is over for sure. If he comes back, we still have an outside shot. But the other guys need to step it up big time. I assume guys are probably gassed and rattled and that's the reason for the lack of effort in game 5. I understand all that and the other issues being raised don't help at all. But you#ve got to bring energy, rebounding and hustle and we did not.

Very disappointed in the effort, since we can do better (see game 4). But I know this is rather a sign of bodies not being able, not of the mind not being ready.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status...7748846592

https://twitter.com/MookMorris2/status/1...8228287489
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I really don't think Morris was trying to break his ankle. If you want to try to injure an ankle I would think you would try to jump on it with your body weight after a loose ball or shot at the rim when you and the player are already falling down. I think he just accidentally stepped on his ankle trying to cover Luka who was ab to get the ball.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 08:41 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 07:36 AM)DrMav Wrote: Those guys aren’t enforcers, they’re just dirty players that try to cause injuries. No place on our team or in the NBA for players like them.

Throughout the history, NBA is full of those guys. I am not saying guys that go for intentional injury, but guys that play tough, protect our stars, basically what you described later on. It's not like Bev and Morris are just intentional injuries and nothing else. I guess that a line with these kind of guys is very thin.
I agree. With the money that's paid to even average players in the NBA, they'll do almost anything to stay on the money train. Sometimes you even get a whole team of them together - Bad Boy Pistons, for example.

FWIW, I'm in the "he stepped on Luka on purpose" camp. Broke stride with a little hop and his foot just happens to step on Luka's? I ain't buyin' it.
Like Reply
I don't know - watching the video it could be he ran to Luka to hurt him. Could also be he ran to him to bug him during the inbound (bugging Luka is surely part of Clippers game plan), Luka moved, Marcus moved too to guard him closely and came a bit closer than intended when Luka moved a bit and Marcus was reacting to that move, trying to get in a close guarding position. Could be something in between (e.g. he didn't avoid the contact as good has he could due to the "bug him" game plan in the back of his mind ).

For me it's in dubio pro reo and I don't see a clear intention to hurt Luka. Doesn't mean I like the guy.

Agree with the other posters: Effort was embarrassingly low, most of the game, especially on defense, lot's of the Bad Mavs we have seen during the "warmup games". Clippers where cooking, Paul George much better (Mavs failed to attack him after his third foul which could have broken his rhythm again). Refs where bad and should take a step back in handing out techs, especially when they have their fair share of bad calls.

My vague feeling is, Leonard and George are allowed to do things on offense that are called offensive foul when the Mavs do it - but overall Clippers are just much more physical and when the Mavs matched that in Game 4 they got away with it a lot, too (refs let both teams play in that one and took more of a backseat.)

Think Calisle was especially furious as his try to challange a call in a similar situation in in game one was rejected.

Hope Mavs tank is not empty, KP get's healthy and we beat them the next two games.
Like Reply
I thought we had a better chance than this in game 5 because I figured that the Clippers managed to score enough in game 4 even with Paul George going AWOL that how much worse could it get on defense even if he got going. Well, as it turns out it could get a lot worse. I was very worried going into the playoffs because our defense went from mediocre to outright trash in the bubble. It's clear we need to add some defenders and goons in the offseason, this team is too soft

I don't think we can beat these guys twice in a row although they made the series more interesting than it should have been by not taking us seriously at all times like a team should in the playoffs. That lack of killer instinct may come back to bite them later
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9050474497
Like Reply