Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 135, Clippers 133
Zinger-less Mavs Stun Clippers in Comeback Thriller

Series Tied at 2-2

Save this game for the grandchildren, Mavs fans! What a fantastic, improbable, gutsy win from your shorthanded Dallas Mavericks! We are witnessing the playoff birth of Luka the Legend!!

Game Story

Patrick Beverley was still out for the Clippers, and Doc once again used Shamet in his place. Luka was 36 hours out from spraining his ankle, and had received almost nonstop treatment in the interim. With MFFLs everywhere on pins and needles, Doncic was finally ruled available shortly before tipoff. Unfortunately, Kristaps turned up as a last-second scratch, with a sore knee. The air went out of the room, and Trey Burke was the next man up in the starting unit.

The first quarter started badly. The Mavs were down by 15 with about 3 minutes left, when Bobi (6 points, 3 rebounds) and Seth (a shot and a steal) gave them a bit of a lift. Scoreboard after 1: Clippers 34, Mavericks 24. 

For the second quarter, Rick broke out one of his Frankstein lineups, running out Barea, THJ, DFS, Maxi, and Boban. I’m sure he felt the need to shake things up, but it was a dumpster fire. The deficit was up to 21 before five minutes had passed. Brad Townsend, of the DMN, reported that the game was over halfway through the second quarter, and I have to say, it looked that way. 

But the Mavericks began to chip away, and just kept chipping, chipping, chipping, like water dripping on a stone. Luka and Burke dropped in 10 points each, and by the end of the half, the LA lead was down to eight. 58-66. It looked like Dallas might be able to end the game on a respectable note. 

The third quarter was a wonder. Your boys came out blazing and never stopped. With 9:25 remaining on the clock, a Trey Burke driving layup initiated a 16-0 Mavs run resulting in a 12-point lead! Luka put up 13 points in the period, and THJ was a close second with 10. The most unexpected development was a ferocious effort by the Dallas players on the defensive end. The Clippers were held to 19 points in the quarter! After three, our team led 93-85.

Luka sat down for his usual short rest in the fourth, and his teammates kept the group afloat. He returned with about eight minutes left, and they held up well until the last five-and-a-half minutes. For reasons that escape me, they resorted to their clutch time offense of doing a lot of dribbling and standing around until Luka or whoever ended up with the ball took a difficult shot or turned the ball over. Since it’s a glorious night, let’s not wallow in those gory details. Suffice it to say that the Mavs were able to force overtime thanks to a missed Marcus Morris free throw a minute short of the buzzer. 121 all. 

Luka, Burke, THJ, DFS, and Maxi did the honors in extra time. Three offensive rebounds with scores on the second tries kept the Mavs in the game. With 19 seconds remaining, a driving layup by Luka put the team up by two. The Clippers took a time out, and Rick put MKG in as a defensive sub. Kidd-Gilchrist was on Leonard, and he and Maxi converged on him at the rim. Kawhi kicked out to Marcus Morris in the corner, and Morris put the Clips up one with 9 seconds on the clock, hitting his first three of the game. The Mavs took a time out, advanced the ball, and inbounded into the back court. LA took their foul to give, leaving 4 seconds remaining. Mavs took another time out. Luka and Maxi engineered a series of moves to get Reggie Jackson (instead of Kawhi) switched on to Luka, and Luka hit a 28-ft step-back three with a hand in his face. 

It was a moment to match Vince Carter’s game-winning shot against the Spurs. All the Mavs players and staff mobbed Luka, which he described as bringing on one of the best feelings he has ever had in his life. 

Luka! This game! OMG! I’ve run out of words to describe it!

Analytics

This was kind of an outlier game. On the possession front, the Mavs put up 7 more shots than the Clips, which was somewhat outweighed by the Clippers’ 8-point advantage in FTAs. Dallas out-rebounded LA 54-41, and had 11 offensive rebounds. However, they lost 17 points on turnovers. At the end of the day, the Mavs beat the Clips in (ta-da) the paint. Our team were +16 on points from twos, -3 on points from threes, and a horrible -11 on made free throws. Your boys had a 62-52 advantage in points in the paint. Lots of determination to get to the hole, and the Clippers with no shot-blocking presence to speak of, I guess. 

Players

Luka (46 min) - This one was the Luka Show. Pure. And. Simple. His amazing line included 43 points, 17 rebounds, 13 assists, 2 steals, and a block. What a performance! It was a Magic show, no question about it. Stars from around the league were tweeting their admiration. National media were agog. After Breen gave Luka’s game-winner a “BANG!,” he was so overwhelmed he did it again. What more can I say? We are not worthy. 

Maxi (38 min) - Maxi got a little help defending Kawhi, which left him some energy to make a few other contributions. He recorded 7 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals, and a couple of important blocks. His screening on the last possession was outstanding. Carlisle gave him and DFS high props for their defense. 

Burke (38 min) - If it had not been for Luka’s all-universe play, we would be talking about Trey as the featured Mav. This man was a wonder, from start to finish. He made up for KP’s offense by putting up 25 points of his own on 10-14 shooting. He was 4-5 from three, grabbed five boards, and made a couple of timely steals. He worked every second defensively, having said that he is trying to change the narrative about himself as a one-way player. Came up REALLY big when he was needed the most. What a signing!

THJ (35 min) - At first, it looked like this could be another cold night from Tim. However, once he got going, he threw some flames. He registered 21 points, including some big threes toward the end. He also spent some time defending Paul George, and George looked suitably ineffectual. 

DFS (34 min) - Doe-Doe was his dependable self, with a box score showing 7 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 each in the assists, steals, and blocks categories. Of course, the main story was his defense, for which he received praise from the coach. Very, very solid out there. 

Curry (31 min) - Seth was excellent once again, scoring 15 points off the bench on 6-9 shooting, all inside the arc. He was also very alert defensively, and was a big factor in the team’s comeback. 

MKG (19 min) - Coach made a substantial adjustment in this game, putting MKG on Kawhi for a substantial spell, giving Maxi a break. He scored only three points, but I am sure Rick would have been okay with his not scoring at all, as long as he limited Kawhi, and the team didn’t get too far behind with him on the court. (As a matter of fact, he was +8). Good move, Carlisle!

Boban (16 min) - Bobi! My man! The gentle giant had 10 points and 7 rebounds in short minutes, and frustrated his diminutive opponents. I thought he might play a little more, since the Mavs were down to two bigs, but I guess Maxi was able to carry a bigger-than-usual share of the minutes load. 

Barea and Jackson (5 min each) - These two made a cameo in the second quarter. The team was rolling straight downhill at the time, and Carlisle said he thought Barea might provide the team with a little “spring.” The experiment was discontinued after a few minutes, but I guess it added a little shake, rattle, and roll to the proceedings. 

Clippers — It was very much the Lou and Leonard Show. Lou Williams torched the Mavs for 36 points off the bench, and Kawhi wasn’t far behind him with 32. Playoff “P” was 3-14 for 9 points.

Observations

Rick was very pleased with the performance. He said he has been coaching for 28 years and has never seen a team fight harder for a win. Says Luka sees the game in 6G (that’s not a typo, SIX GEE). You don’t see Rick with a smile on his face much in the postgame interviews, and he appeared to be trying to preserve his robotic face, but too much pride and joy was oozing out at the corners. He loved it!

Various players and coaches were questioned about the last play and switch of Reggie onto Luka. From the Clippers’ point of view, they were playing switching defense with none of their bigs on the floor, and they were carrying out their plan. Rick gave Luka the credit for the play, saying that he likes Luka making decisions on the floor. (It was a play Rick designed out of a timeout, so Rick might have been a teeny bit modest there.)

My favorite reply was from Doc. A reporter named Jovan asked him if he still liked the switch, or whether he wishes he’d done something a little different there. Doc stared at him with a disbelieving face, had a meaningful pause, and in a “This is how I talk to my three-year-old” voice, replied, “Well, he made the shot. Right, Jovan? So, CLEARLY, now we wish we’d done something else.” Whoo. Jovan was walking off the court with smoke coming off of his tushie. 

There were so many reasons to think the Mavs couldn’t pull this out. KP being scratched. Luka with a recent sore ankle only declared try-able at game-time. A new starting lineup. The Mavs going down in the first quarter and further down in the second. Hitting their clutch woes again. Almost losing in regulation. Pulling it out on an improbable LOOOOONG contested shot at the buzzer. THEY DID IT!! HOW DID THEY DO IT?? IT’S A MIRACLE!

Next. Game Five, on Tuesday. I’m still so pumped, I don’t know if I’m going to be able to sleep before then. I think I’m going to go find a Clippers podcast and listen to the game recap from their point of view. Heh! Heh! Heh!
Like Reply
Hey, do Mavsluvr's write ups (which I'm sure from experience are amazing) appear as black text on a black background to anyone else, or is it just me? I really want to read them, but they're long and I have to strain my eyes a lot to make out the words.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 01:46 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hey, do Mavsluvr's write ups (which I'm sure from experience are amazing) appear as black text on a black background to anyone else, or is it just me? I really want to read them, but they're long and I have to strain my eyes a lot to make out the words.
You are one of a number of people who have had this problem. Don't know what the source of it is. 

Try scrolling down as far as you can. At the bottom right corner of the screen, there will be a button allowing choices of Light Theme or Dark (Mobile) Theme. Select light theme, and press go. 

Hopefully, that will solve it. If that doesn't work, fifteenth has an alternate solution. 

Sorry about the inconvenience. If it is anything I am doing, and if there is a way I can fix it, I would be very pleased to know.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 01:46 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hey, do Mavsluvr's write ups (which I'm sure from experience are amazing) appear as black text on a black background to anyone else, or is it just me? I really want to read them, but they're long and I have to strain my eyes a lot to make out the words.

As a work around, I temporarily set the screen brightness on my phone to max, and that makes it a lot better.

Mavsluvr, any thoughts on Maxi on the offensive end? I’m practically watching through my fingers every time he’s involved in a play... it’s pretty brutal at the minute.
Like Reply
Changing it to the light theme works, but it is ugly af, so after reading the first post, I switch back.

Thanks for the excellent and emotional recap, mavsluvr.

This game was one for the ages... I told my GF couple of minutes in to the second quarter, that this game was over. After we blew our lead in the fourth and started our standing-around-and-hoisting-threes offense, I once again was sure we were going to lose this. Luka making this shot is just something else... just wow.

If KP comes back healthy, we really have a shot in this best of three series.

We played much better, harder defensively but I think we also got lucky in the stretch when the Clippers couldn't buy a basket. They missed many open shots and we can't rely on this to happen again. Also while it's fun ripping on George, I still fear he might bounce back hard at some point. But let's focus on the positive: This team has heart, they have a great coach and they have Luka. Could be enough to upset the Clipprs - it's a lot of fun at the very least.

I think the key defensively was to sometimes double Kawhi and prevent him to get to his favorite spots. Kind of the Pop-strategy I alluded to in the last gamethread. Luckily, the others did not beat us.

In the next game, we might see more Kawhi on Luka, where he struggled towards the end of the game (maybe also due to fatigue). I hope Doc sticks to his (bad) plan and lets Luka torch the other guys who can't dream of containing him.
Like Reply

I was also facing this issue even though i was already using the light theme.
I had to switch from the light theme to dark and back to the light one to get it resolved.
Maybe this will help in your case as well
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 04:12 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: Mavsluvr, any thoughts on Maxi on the offensive end? I’m practically watching through my fingers every time he’s involved in a play... it’s pretty brutal at the minute.
Well, I can't say he was great. But it did seem like he wasn't as abysmal on that end as he has been, now that his defensive duties have been lightened a bit. Carlisle had MKG on Kawhi for a while, even DFS was on him here and there, and at some point, they started double-teaming Leonard in the paint.

As you probably know, he was 2-8 from the floor (0-5 from three). So I get the trepidation every time he takes a shot. At least he made three of his four free throws. 

This is a guy who completed 42% of his threes in the regular season. It's befuddling to see him not be able to buy a bucket. It seems like he's even hesitating, or trying to avoid shooting, when he can. He has to at least take those clean shots to try to keep the defense honest (I notice they're already cheating off him.).

The one place I think he is making a good impact on the offensive end is screening. And that is meaningful. But I'm not sure what has happened to his shooting stroke. You would think they might run a play or two getting him to the basket, so he doesn't get demoralized. 

I keep hoping he'll snap out of it. 

Do you have a view on the matter?
Like Reply
Kleber had two 3s that went in and out. Thats what happens during a cold shooting stretch.
But overall it is still the same problem he had all series long. No lift and a flat shot.
Like Reply
Doc Rivers said he felt his team was "emotionally weak today... I've been saying this for three games now, we are so much better than what we have been playing but give Dallas credit... you can see the difference in spirit."

He went on to say that when Dallas makes a run, the Mavs get very excited and his team "caves in."
Like Reply
I think Maxi is off, brutal shooting slump, mad misses and the good ones are in and out - that combined with the fact that he has to guard the opponent's best player and also switch positions (he payed a lot of C last night) qould be enough to explain his struggles. Moreover, he is and has always been a role-player who needs rhythm. He had his clear-cut role as a spot-up-shooter in the corner or a screener in the pick and roll. This changed, the game for him has a totally different flow and dynamic, hence his shooting issues. He's getting touches in situations he's not used to. I think this might be the biggest factor in all of this.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 05:38 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kleber had two 3s that went in and out. Thats what happens during a cold shooting stretch.
But overall it is still the same problem he had all series long. No lift and a flat shot.

This is where we need a big upgrade. He is a very good role player but you need a guy like a Morris type in Maxi's spot so that Maxi can do what he does off the bench. Alternatively I might consider trying to play MKG more to take some pressure off of Maxi some and also see if MKG can actually hit a shot. We saw him hit a couple earlier in the series.
Like Reply
Next time someone complains about Luka taking step back threes...

https://media.giphy.com/media/CybZqG4etuZsA/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 01:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Zinger-less Mavs Stun Clippers in Comeback Thriller

Series Tied at 2-2

Save this game for the grandchildren, Mavs fans! What a fantastic, improbable, gutsy win from your shorthanded Dallas Mavericks! We are witnessing the playoff birth of Luka the Legend!! 
Next. Game Five, on Tuesday. I’m still so pumped, I don’t know if I’m going to be able to sleep before then. I think I’m going to go find a Clippers podcast and listen to the game recap from their point of view. Heh! Heh! Heh!

That's some *really* good writing there ML.  You're always sharp but this great analysis, wit, all cylinders firing. Really on your game, raising it up with Luka and Mavs doing the same.  Big Grin

Our man Bobi is still the most productive really low minute guy I can think of in NBA history.  I think a smart insert there with the lead and low minutes could have avoided OT entirely but then we'd have lost the Luka drama I guess.  Sleepy   To be fair though, you pointed that the Maxi + Boban run earlier was disastrous, even if no fault of their own.  Maxi's defense and mobility have been key so he's earned minutes ... 

Let me digress from my normal YouRang commentary for a moment and 2nd you some  Heart for the other big 'B' on the Bench.  Wow Exclamation

Quote:Burke (38 min) - If it had not been for Luka’s all-universe play, we would be talking about Trey as the featured Mav. This man was a wonder, from start to finish. He made up for KP’s offense by putting up 25 points of his own on 10-14 shooting. He was 4-5 from three, grabbed five boards, and made a couple of timely steals. He worked every second defensively, having said that he is trying to change the narrative about himself as a one-way player. Came up REALLY big when he was needed the most. What a signing!

Seriously!  What a line.  He's another guy, like Boban, that based on his career Coach might have overlooked as a defensive liability and kept mostly benched.   To his credit and Carlisle's his talent and the impact he can have scoring did not get ignored. 

Just how good Burke, actually young Berea-like, can be is getting the best showcase he's ever had there in the Bubble. That sort of impact from Burke has not seen since he led Michigan to the NCAA championship game. 

The only thing not great about signing might be the contract length.  Shy
Like Reply
Love the takes in this thread. Writing to express minor disagreement with 2 of them. 

1. Morris is the kind of quality role player this team is missing. But don’t think for a second he could bring what Maxi is providing. Rim protection from a guy who can also defend the perimeter? That is practically non-existent in the NBA. The Clips need a guy like Maxi way worse than we need a bruiser like Morris. Swap those 2 guys and we wouldn’t have stood a chance last night. 

2. Tap the brakes on Trey Burke. Love the guy. But without Beverly, the Clips have no one who can defend that type of player. Remember how waterbug point guards used to have career nights weekly against the Mavs? That’s who the Patless Clips are right now. Trey is doing a marvelous job of taking advantage of that. But he hasn’t transformed into our 3rd best player.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Love the takes in this thread. Writing to express minor disagreement with 2 of them. 

1. Morris is the kind of quality role player this team is missing. But don’t think for a second he could bring what Maxi is providing. Rim protection from a guy who can also defend the perimeter? That is practically non-existent in the NBA. The Clips need a guy like Maxi way worse than we need a bruiser like Morris. Swap those 2 guys and we wouldn’t have stood a chance last night. 

2. Tap the brakes on Trey Burke. Love the guy. But without Beverly, the Clips have no one who can defend that type of player. Remember how waterbug point guards used to have career nights weekly against the Mavs? That’s who the Patless Clips are right now. Trey is doing a marvelous job of taking advantage of that. But he hasn’t transformed into our 3rd best player.

I don't think any seriously believes he's our 3rd best player. The argument right now is prob whether or not we'd rather have him or Brunson as the backup PG. I really don't think they are mutually exclusive even if redundant bc Rick loves guards. Brunson plays a methodical pace more like Luka and Trey flies down the court. I love the fast-paced offense look that you see when Seth and Trey are both out there and Luka is sitting. The argument right now is how much the Mavs will pay to keep Burke this offseason.

Looking at his salary history he had his rookie deal and then has been a vet min player ever sense and that's 6 years worth of history. Its surprising he hasn't made more but I think it's because the book on him is that he's an offense-only 3rd PG. Now I think it's reasonable to think he could be up to and including the rMLE as a solid backup PG. Going above that might be a little bit crazy unless the Mavs knock off the Clippers and he continues to have an electric playoffs.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 03:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The argument right now is prob whether or not we'd rather have him or Brunson as the backup PG.

I would say that Burke is not really a PG. He creates for himself, and is good at it, but not for others. That's why it is not a question between Brunson or Burke at all, imho
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 05:49 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I think Maxi is off, brutal shooting slump, mad misses and the good ones are in and out - that combined with the fact that he has to guard the opponent's best player and also switch positions (he payed a lot of C last night) qould be enough to explain his struggles.

Thats a big thing we're missing right now. Maxi has never been lights out, but looking at his stats for this series and OOOF. 

4.8 ppg, 7.8rpg, 26.1% from the field, 0.68% from 3. I've never seen a 37% 3pt shooter in the regular season regress more than 98%. Seriously. 

If Maxi can just hit freaking 20% of his 3's then the Mavs offense opens up even moreso. It's basically 4 on 5 right now on the offensive side when Maxi is out there. And that makes what Luka, KP, Burke, Curry, and THJ doing on offense even that more crazy.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 03:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Love the takes in this thread. Writing to express minor disagreement with 2 of them. 

I don't think any seriously believes he's our 3rd best player. The argument right now is prob whether or not we'd rather have him or Brunson as the backup PG. I really don't think they are mutually exclusive even if redundant bc Rick loves guards. Brunson plays a methodical pace more like Luka and Trey flies down the court. I love the fast-paced offense look that you see when Seth and Trey are both out there and Luka is sitting. The argument right now is how much the Mavs will pay to keep Burke this offseason.

3rd best?  Not even close.  Rolleyes  

What he is showing is that he can be the instant offense sort of microwave scorer that can really complement a transcendent talent like Luka.  

I used JJB as an example.  Remember what happened when JJB got a big contract off his super season with the Championship Mavericks?  Did he ever even come close to living up to that contract in Minnesota? 

Burke might be a dangerous post-bubble overpay, especially for a team that doesn't have the environment for him to thrive. 
Brunson is still pretty young to say if he continues to trend up but off of their current careers no way I even put Burke ahead of Brunson and definitely not over Seth.  On the depth chart though, Carlisle likes guards, he likes to play small often and he could definitely use Burke as a guy like JJB prepares for sunset. 

As I said both Burke and Boban can be extremely hard for a defense to stop when they are playing alongside a great playmaker like a Doncic.  IF they can play just enough defense they can more than offset their shortcomings against most counterparts. 
In a league with the type of high scoring the NBA has now, and the rules that make defense harder than ever to play, those guys can be very valuable.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 04:23 AM)meistermatze Wrote: In the next game, we might see more Kawhi on Luka, where he struggled towards the end of the game (maybe also due to fatigue).
Doc moved some in this direction in this game. I saw a stat that Kawhi primarily guarded Luka for around 30% of the time that Luka was on the floor.

I rather think that if Luka is Kawhi's primary assignment, we will know that Doc is seriously afraid that the Clippers are on the ropes. Making Kawhi chase Luka around the floor is likely to tire Leonard and risk sapping his energy for offensive purposes. Although it might also limit Luka, of course. 

I will be interested in the adjustments Doc makes after Game 4. He seems genuinely bewildered that his team isn't looking like the unstoppable juggernaut that was expected.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 04:57 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: What Burke is showing is that he can be the instant offense sort of microwave scorer that can really complement a transcendent talent like Luka.  

Exactly.

Burke has been one of the revelations of the tournament, imo. When he was signed in July, there was a lot of speculation that he was unlikely to see the floor for significant minutes, or even at all. 

Carlisle said that the Dallas system is more suited to take advantage of Burke's strengths than Philadelphia's is. All credit to Trey, but also to Rick for putting this fellow into a position to succeed.
Like Reply