Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revisiting (failed) Dragic Trade
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sen...utType=amp

Interesting article revisiting the failed dragic trade. I remember being pretty disappointed at the time and even more so now with how Wright and dragic have played these playoffs.
Like Reply
Jones Jr. was the real prize. I give Donnie credit for nearly stealing him. He’s the perfect athletic 3/4 combo for this team and has a nice career ahead of him. The deal wasn’t worth it after the Heat pulled him out. Seth is a better fit for the long term than Goran.
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 10:06 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Seth is a better fit for the long term.

Mavs had more than enough cap space to sign Seth after the trade. The only thing we would be losing would be our last contract - Wright
Like Reply
Either version (Dragic or Olynyk + Jones) would have made us a better team right now.  They Olynyk part (replacing Powell) was unforeseen at the time.  Jones would have helped the D as we could have one of Jones or DFS on the court at all times and played both late in games during D for O swaps.

BTW, I watched the fourth quarter and OT of the OKC/Hou game.  Man, Dort was impressive.  He didn’t play in games 1 & 2 and was +4 and +10 in games 3 and 4.  He is quite the physical specimen as a 21 year old.
Like Reply
So my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong please): when the off season salary cap dust settled, we got Wright on a 3 year contract instead of Dragic’s one year expiring contract? That’s a tough pill to swallow.

My biggest fear for the Mavs other than Luka getting injured, is Luka eventually leaving the Mavs as an unrestricted free agent (years from now, I know). Getting Dragic would have made huge strides towards making Luka happy (which I think should be the front office’s main focus at this point).
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 10:42 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: He is quite the physical specimen as a 21 year old.

Yes, he was absolutely impressive against Harden. Although he could be neutralized, if Houston would try harder to switch Harden from him. This way his positive effect would be neutralized, because Dort is still extremely raw on offense.

I am not sure if tryouts are possible this season. If yes, they should have just one thing. Rookies should play Doncic one on one. Whoever gives him most trouble defensively should be drafted. If he can guard Doncic, he will be able to guard Hardens of the world.
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 11:01 AM)DMavs#1 Wrote: So my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong please): when the off season salary cap dust settled, we got Wright on a 3 year contract instead of Dragic’s one year expiring contract? That’s a tough pill to swallow.

My biggest fear for the Mavs other than Luka getting injured, is Luka eventually leaving the Mavs as an unrestricted free agent (years from now, I know). Getting Dragic would have made huge strides towards making Luka happy (which I think should be the front office’s main focus at this point).

There is some controversy about what actually happened (even between the two teams).  If memory serves, Fish insisted Dragic was told he was being traded to Dallas.  Cato insists Dallas thought they were getting Olynyk and Jones Jr.  Both might actually be true.  There were some national reports that all of the above were included in a larger deal, but that doesn't appear to have ever been the case. 

My belief is Miami thought is was a Dragic based deal and Dallas thought it was Olynyk/Jones.  So, technically, Dallas never agreed to Dragic (and Miami never agreed to Olynyk/Jones).   Therefore, I don't think you can make the Dragic vs. Wright comparison. 

BTW, in real time the board hated both versions.  Dragic was portrayed as injury prone, overpaid and washed up (as I suspected at the time, that didn't prove to be the case).  There was also a general dislike for Olynyk around here.  Everyone knew Jones was the prize, but it wasn't believed taking on Olynyk was worth it (again, I disagreed).  In fairness, Kemba was dead at that point, but there were still other big things in play.  So, you have to take those possibilities into account when evaluating what was/wasn't done.  Still, I was a fan of either version.
Like Reply
With Dragic, we would have been a much better closing team. I think having him would have resulted in at least 3 more wins, good for a Top-5 seed in the standings.
Like Reply