Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 122, Clippers 130
Mavs Fall to Clippers’ “A” Game
Luka Sprains Ankle; Dallas Shows Strength in Loss

The Clippers appeared to take the Mavericks seriously for the first time in the series, and they were intent on making a statement. On the back of their superstar Kawhi Leonard, they did just that. Dallas fought hard and played well offensively, but their defense was not quite up to the task. 

Game Story

Porzingis and Burke appeared again on the injured list, but both were again able to play. Rick went with his usual playoff starting lineup. Patrick Beverley was out again for the Clippers, and Doc elected to use Landry Shamet in his place, rather than going with Reggie Jackson again. 

Both teams came out fighting in the first quarter, and the game was played very evenly. At 4:27, Luka and Montrezl Harrell got tangled up, and were called for double fouls. Montrezl started jawing, Luka reacted, and both were assessed technicals. Luka appeared rattled, and it was time for him to be subbed out anyway. The other Mavs battled to a 23-23 draw after one. 

The second period, was, as Carlisle would say, the Mavs’ undoing. They allowed 45 points, the most the team has ever allowed in a playoff quarter in its history. The Clippers shot over 60% from the field, and paraded to the line, hitting 12 of 13 FTAs in the quarter. The Mavericks hung in until 4:55, when they suffered a  two-and-a-half-minute run including three turnovers, KP tipping a jump ball with Kawhi to Shamet, a missed three, and two missed free throws. Toward the end of the frame, Luka was fouled on a three-point try, but missed two of the free throws. The scoreboard read 68-54 in the Clippers’ favor at halftime. 

The deficit remained in double digits for almost all of the third period. With four minutes left, Luka crumpled to the floor, clutching his ankle, left the court, and literally hopped to the locker room. His teammates were within 1.4 seconds of playing the quarter to a draw, when Burke lost the ball taking it down the court, and Shamet picked it up and banked in an improbable 25-ft running pull-up three at the buzzer. Such a microcosm of the game. 102-85 Clips. 

Luka had been diagnosed with an ankle sprain, but showed up to play in the fourth. After three minutes, he signaled that he needed to come out, and hopped off again. It was announced that he would not return. His teammates made a little run, eventually carving the disadvantage from 18 to 8 halfway through the period. For the remaining minutes, the Clippers were able to match whatever the Mavs threw at them, and Dallas were fortunate to end the contest within single digits. 

Analytics

The Mavs were -12 on points from twos, +9 on points from threes, and -5 on made free throws. The Clippers just hit a few more shots, and the Mavs missed 7 free throws, with Luka accounting for six of the misses. The scoreline probably makes the game look a little closer than it really was, as the Clips led by double digits for most of the last 27 minutes. The shots weren’t falling in the first half (5-19 from deep), and the defense just couldn’t keep up for 48 minutes. 

Players 

KP (38 min) - Kristaps had an outstanding offensive game, putting up 34 points and 13 rebounds, and hitting some very difficult shots. He was quite efficient, shooting 11-18 from the field, 5-9 from long range, and 7-7 from the line.  Defensively, I have to say he was just okay, not doing as good a job at protecting the rim as one would hope. In the first quarter, he got into it a bit with Morris, but managed to put his shoulders back and maintain his composure for the rest of the game. He remarked after the game that he was proud that the team gave themselves a chance by continuing to fight, and I have to agree that they never put their heads down in this match. 

THJ (38 min) - Tim also did his job on the offensive end, contributing a career playoff-high 22 points on pretty good shooting (9-19, 4-10 from three), and adding 6 rebounds and 2 assists. He led the Mavs with 13 points in the third quarter. 

Maxi (35 min) - The man from Wurzburg had only 5 points and 4 rebounds, and had Kawhi as his defensive assignment for the entire time he was on the floor. He played Leonard pretty well, but Kawhi is a freight train that no one guy is stopping. Rick said that his instructions to Maxi and DFS were that they were not to worry about scoring — their sole focus was to be on guarding KL and PG. So, I’m not blaming Maxi for not contributing offensively, and defending KL for the whole game probably leaves him too exhausted to make his threes. However, it does raise the question of whether it is the best decision to have a starter who gives you nothing offensively when his man is tearing you up in any event. If not for Maxi’s defense, maybe Kawhi would have had 60 points — it wouldn’t shock me, but the issue remains. This is not to bash Maxi at all — just to consider the decisions Rick is bound to be facing. 

DFS (31 min) - Doe-Doe had a respectable stat line (11-7-4), and his defensive assignment Paul George was terrible (3-16, 11 points). George seems to be pretty much off in this tournament so far, but Dorian has something to do with it. DFS probably did his job, as far as Rick was concerned. 

Seth (31 min) - Curry was sizzling in this game, scoring 22 points (a career playoff high) on 9-11 shooting, along with 3 assists and a steal. It was really a shame to see this performance wasted in a loss. Seth has been excellent in this series — I believe 20-31 is his shooting record, and Rick has been impressed with his scrappy defense. He and Tim stepped up in Luka’s absence, and it was fun to see Seth dazzle on the floor. 

Luka (29 min) - Oh, Luka. Even before he got hurt, he didn’t look good. Not bad, just sort of off. He scored only 13 points, completed only 4 of 14 attempts, was 1-6 from beyond the arc, and missed 6 of his 10 FTAs. Yikes. To some extent, it seemed like the Clippers’ cheap shots and dirty play were getting to him, and that is indeed the Clippers’ game. It is too bad the refs permit this stuff. Of course, the bigger story was his ankle injury. Rick was not certain how bad it is, but they will know more after results of an MRI on Saturday. Luka deemed it as “not that bad.” We’ll hope for the best. 

Burke (16 min) — Trey did an admirable job filling in for Luka, chipping in 10 points off the bench to go with 3 assists and a steal. He plays like he has the Clippers’ number, going at them with confidence and being attentive defensively. 

Observations

This match left me still feeling optimistic when considering the big picture of the team’s progress in this season as a whole. Before the game, I told a friend that I was going to consider it a job well done if they could end the game within single digits of the Clips, and so they did. 

After the Game Two fiasco, it was predictable that the Clippers were going to punch hard in this game, and I thought the Mavs held up to it remarkably well, particularly on the offensive end. The Mavericks were laboring under a couple of serious disadvantages — Luka having a bad night, and then Luka getting hurt and not being able to play for most of the fourth quarter. Porzee, Seth, and THJ put in a determined effort to get their team back in it, but it was a tough ask. 

Kawhi pretty much willed the Clips to win this game, and he is close to unstoppable. I don’t know if the Mavs have made the right decision not to double-team him, but with all the shooters LA has, it’s a pick-your-poison situation. The Dallas defense still could stand an upgrade of about a tier, but that may be an issue for another day. 

Despite the loss, I was proud of the guys for hanging in there until the end, and think they have many bright seasons ahead!

Next.  Game Four, on Sunday at 2:30 Central Time. Hope Luka will be available!
Like Reply
For all the Maxi haters from the game thread.

Game 3 numbers from ESPN:

Kawhi vs Maxi 8/18
Kawhi vs any other Mav 4/5

We certainly can talk about adjustments that give him a little more rest. Maybe some MKG. But there is no way to deny that Maxi is the best available option against Kawhi.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 03:18 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For all the Maxi haters from the game thread.

Kawhi vs Maxi 8/18

We certainly can talk about adjustments that give him a little more rest. Maybe some MKG. But there is no way to deny that Maxi is the best available option against Kawhi.
That´s the thing.

Kawhi/PG shot a combined 40% from the field primarily defended 1 on 1 by Kleber/DFS. The rest of the Clippers shot 62%, so all the other Mavs should be ashamed of their defensive efforts.
Like Reply
What to say. It wasn't written in the stars Sad When defense was good, Mavs were cold on offense (first quarter and a half). Clippers made their lead and Mavs started to show on offense. But Clippers easily maintained the lead. I am ok with the performance, Clippers are still a better team. Let's hope Mavs make it a series again on Monday.
Like Reply
Yeah I think Maxi did as good a job on KL as anybody could have. I got my issue with him and DFS combined going 1/9 from three but playing 69 minutes. Felt like they exhausted so much enegery on defense that they couldn't get the open shots to fall on the other hand. That's where we need to get more help in the offseason Imo, so that we're able to throw different looks at those guys.

Some stuff that annoyed me:

- that fricking shot from Shamet at the buzzer after we worked us into range
- the missed FTs from Luka
Add those two together and we'd be much closer to start the 4th, maybe the momentum shifts
- frickin Reggie Jackson making corner threes

Also:

- Clippers seemed to be much better prepared for Luka this time. Even in the 1st quarter we didn't get our usual production and it took a run in the late 2nd to catch some fire on that end.
- Kawhi is just a killer

TBH this was what I thought the entire series would look like. It only happened once now despite the fact that we've already played them three times. So big picture-wise we're good I guess.

On the bright side:

KP is just incredible over the first three games:
- 70% TS
- 136 ORtg, 117 DRtg, 25+ PER
- 24% usage on‌ly ==> we might need to get that up

Seth is just on fire. Huge performances from him. He's up to 30 mpg already but maybe you can plug him even more, I don't know. Tonight I would have been alright with sacrificng a few more DFS/Kleber minutes to have him on the court.

Another thing:

We need a dude outside of KP & Luka who stands up for the team when things get spicey. Can't have Luka/KP pick up technicals all the time.

Tim had a few scenes where I just don't understand why he doesn't take the good old legal-but-hard foul. I remember back to back possessions where he was the last man in transition where he first didn't contest at all and then tried to go for a weak charge. It's the playoffs, you're allowed to foul 6 times.
Like Reply
Hated to waste a game where PG struggled and Seth was on fire.  Mavs margin of error is so small versus the Clips.

Luka's ankle just gives me Dirk playoff injury ptsd...
Like Reply
First question: I almost can't read mavsluvrs opening posts in these threads - do I have to change something in my settings of display?

Overall, I think Kawhi was just too much to handle, especially essentially playing without Luka who, by his standards, had a no show. I know he almost recorded a triple double which is impressive but not surprising to us anymore, but like you said, the Clippers got to him. Morris tries to attack him every chance he gets and I have to say, he seems to be pretty successfull at getting under his skin. From a Clippers' perspective you have to love Morris, hits almost every open three, defends well, is scrappy - as an opponent, you are bound to hate him.

You mentioned the Mavs' strategy to not double Kawhi which I thinkt hey tried to do at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth, IIRC. Kawhi started to dish some great passes and had like 4 assists in a row. I fear he's too got of a passer to double him. If he continues to play like this, I'd let him have his way and try to contain the others. I don't know really, I think it's a matter of principle. Pop for example threw everything at Dirk and the Spurs dared somebody else to beat them. But since he got 34 and they managed to finde 100-somewhat points from somewhere else, I think it's save to assume that our defense overall has been subpar in this contest.

The stars have been cancelling each other out so far, this game Luka was off but KP stepped up and matched Kawhi. PG is ice-cold but I expect him to bounce back at some point and we need to be ready. I don't think the stars will decide this series, since both teams pretty much have 2. In an ideal world we would be up 2-1 right now, I think this series is still far from over (assuming Luka's injury will not prove severe) but we have to play better defense, period.
Like Reply
No one is going to consistently stop a star. We need another mobile big who can switch and block shots. We have a good bunch who give their best and so it’s hard for me to fault them. Having a mobile defensive big, even if just off the bench, will make a huge difference to this roster.

Also I am not ready for next season. Look at Denver and the 76ers. You can go from a promising young team to having serious questions real fast. We have two studs. Every season in which they are stilll young, even this, is a potential title season. These windows shut fast. Management also has to approach every season like this. No more moral victory seasons.
Like Reply
Not a big Dwight Powell-fan but aren't you describing him, hakeem? Meaning it's not the front office's fault, that the roster lacks a big man like this as of right now. Still, I agree in principle. DFS, MKG and Maxi are the only one's who could potentially be this player but they are so impotent on offense, that it's hard to keep them on the floor.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 08:18 AM)meistermatze Wrote: First question: I almost can't read mavsluvrs opening posts in these threads - do I have to change something in my settings of display?
meister, 

Try scrolling down as far as you can. There is a button on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen that contains a choice of light theme and dark (mobile) theme. Select light theme, and push the Go button beside it. 

Hopefully, that will help.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 09:14 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 08:18 AM)meistermatze Wrote: First question: I almost can't read mavsluvrs opening posts in these threads - do I have to change something in my settings of display?
meister, 

Try scrolling down as far as you can. There is a button on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen that contains a choice of light theme and dark (mobile) theme. Select light theme, and push the Go button beside it. 

I have the same issue and have to go to my laptop to read or switch to light mode and switch right back as I hate the light mode. It is always just the first post of the recaps. Subsequent replies and posts show up fine even on the dark theme.
Like Reply
^ Hahaha, same! Just found out about the light theme, and what can I say, this looks like something from 2003. Retro par excellence, but not the good kind...
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 09:21 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 09:14 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
meister, 

I have the same issue and have to go to my laptop to read or switch to light mode and switch right back as I hate the light mode. It is always just the first post of the recaps. Subsequent replies and posts show up fine even on the dark theme.
Numerous people have commented on this issue. Not sure why it is happening. Glad you figured it out, hf.

(08-22-2020, 08:18 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Overall, I think Kawhi was just too much to handle, especially essentially playing without Luka who, by his standards, had a no show. I know he almost recorded a triple double which is impressive but not surprising to us anymore, but like you said, the Clippers got to him.
I probably should have noted that Luka in fact did achieve a triple-double (13/10/10), and became the first Mav ever to have a triple-double in the playoffs. So, even on an off night, he was setting records. Just wow.

Luka was getting beaten up pretty badly -- jabbed in the eye, hit in the face, what have you, and the refs were doing little to protect him. In addition, the Clips were guarding him a little differently, focusing on cutting off the passing lanes, and I think it may have thrown him off a little.
Like Reply
This article takes the position that Maxi is doing a great job defending Kawhi, even though it isn't working --

https://lastnightinbasketball.substack.c...sible-task
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 03:18 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For all the Maxi haters from the game thread.

Kawhi vs Maxi 8/18

Silly to hate on Maxi. Give me a list of all the one on one Kawhi stoppers on the planet.

But game threadders gonna game thread

(08-22-2020, 11:26 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: This article takes the position that Maxi is doing a great job defending Kawhi, even though it isn't working --

I concur.

Maxi plays the move correctly. Kawhi scores.

It appears that mavsluvr's formatting choices result in text that stays dark in the dark theme. Solution from someone who has no idea how to fix the mobile black theme: Hold thumb down on text. Let go. Choose select all. Enjoyavsluvr recap.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 11:47 AM)fifteenth Wrote: It appears that mavsluvr's formatting choices result in text that stays dark in the dark theme.

If there is a formatting choice I can make to fix this issue, would love to know.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 11:47 AM)fifteenth Wrote:

Kawhi vs Maxi 8/18

Silly to hate on Maxi. Give me a list of all the one on one Kawhi stoppers on the planet.

But game threadders gonna game thread

(08-22-2020, 11:26 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: This article takes the position that Maxi is doing a great job defending Kawhi, even though it isn't working --

I concur.

Maxi plays the move correctly. Kawhi scores.
I think he could force him left a little more, but otherwise we elected to have Kleber and Dorian take their superstars 1 on 1 and I´d say that part worked. Then it´s the responsibility of the others to step up on their individual effort and not allow roleplayers 62% FG percentage due to a lot of defensive lapses.

Also agree that they were well prepared and ready for Luka. Our offense was almost better without him.

I don´t think we can afford Jarrett Allen (11th in DRPM), if we want to strengthen other areas, but finding a player like him in the draft would be fantastic. Boban is a nice guy, but he just can´t play that role. Maybe WCS (8th in DRPM) can fix his conditioning issues and become that player next season (and long-term). Lots of interesting cheap options there.

Btw I hate how our historic offense has fallen apart without the $11M lob threat Dwight Powell. Still can´t believe some people acted like he´s some irreplaceable offensive mastermind. Big Grin
Like Reply
The problem was that the Mavs, yet again, could just not seem to get a stop down the stretch in the 4th.   That, and the missed FTs, sealed the loss.  As to Maxi's defense on KL, the problem I have with it is that once KL got passed the perimeter so easily, it was almost a guaranteed score for the Clips.  I'd try MKG to see if he could slow KL down a bit before he gets in the lane.  Less remaining time on the opponent's shot clock is good.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 09:03 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Not a big Dwight Powell-fan but aren't you describing him, hakeem? Meaning it's not the front office's fault, that the roster lacks a big man like this as of right now. Still, I agree in principle. DFS, MKG and Maxi are the only one's who could potentially be this player but they are so impotent on offense, that it's hard to keep them on the floor.

MM. I don’t see DP as the answer. He is fast but not a defensive clogger. If he were he would be a great bargain.
Like Reply