Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Mike Fisher and Maven/SI
(10-17-2019, 07:03 AM)WillE Wrote: Why don't we put this topic on hold until something of relevance actually happens?

Agreed. I don't think that update will come anytime soon; especially if Maven's rest of their pages look the same.
Like Reply
And I'm tired of waiting for something that wasn't even clarifed, especially when I can have everything I need here.
Like Reply
BTW, since when did you guys move here? I found about this site couple of days ago. Thought that people was on Maven site only and was really upset
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 04:39 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: since when did you guys move here? I found about this site couple of days ago.

I created the site I believe around the 15th of last month. So this site is barely over a month old.
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 05:22 AM)Magickian Wrote: So this site is barely over a month old.
Dang, it feels like much longer though!
Like Reply
https://awfulannouncing.com/si/themaven-...ility.html

Quote:“Notwithstanding these recent financings, the Company does not have sufficient resources to fully fund its business operations through June 30, 2020,” the filing says. After reviewing the finances as of June 2018, the outlook was that the company needed a “significant” amount of additional capital and even that would produce no guarantee the business is self-sustainable. Maven then raised $112 million in debt and preferred stock placements between July 2018 and July 2019. On Tuesday, the company reported to the SEC it had raised an additional $20 million.

Quote:I think TheMaven is vastly overrating how much SI’s brand can help them going forward. Sure, there are still plenty of talented writers and columnists doing great work for the site, but the Maven-branded team sites are churning out more sloppy, subpar content than you can shake a stick at. Yeah, there’s going to be a natural traffic spike because there’s just *more* content, but when that content doesn’t reflect well on the overall brand, that brand’s reputation suffers and it begins to carry much less cachet among readers.

This doesn't sound good. Nothing against Fish and the others at Mavericks Maven, I'm sure they're working hard, but it's a pretty whatever news source to be honest.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 03:37 PM)j0Shi Wrote: This doesn't sound good. Nothing against Fish and the others at Mavericks Maven, I'm sure they're working hard, but it's a pretty whatever news source to be honest.
Hmmh...to me it feels that whole Maven is an experiment a la: If it works: "fine". Otherwise: "Let's try to cash in elsewhere".

It completely money driven and seems to have no own values but revenue.
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 03:37 PM)j0Shi Wrote: https://awfulannouncing.com/si/themaven-...ility.html

Quote:“Notwithstanding these recent financings, the Company does not have sufficient resources to fully fund its business operations through June 30, 2020,” the filing says. After reviewing the finances as of June 2018, the outlook was that the company needed a “significant” amount of additional capital and even that would produce no guarantee the business is self-sustainable. Maven then raised $112 million in debt and preferred stock placements between July 2018 and July 2019. On Tuesday, the company reported to the SEC it had raised an additional $20 million.

Quote:I think TheMaven is vastly overrating how much SI’s brand can help them going forward. Sure, there are still plenty of talented writers and columnists doing great work for the site, but the Maven-branded team sites are churning out more sloppy, subpar content than you can shake a stick at. Yeah, there’s going to be a natural traffic spike because there’s just *more* content, but when that content doesn’t reflect well on the overall brand, that brand’s reputation suffers and it begins to carry much less cachet among readers.

This doesn't sound good. Nothing against Fish and the others at Mavericks Maven, I'm sure they're working hard, but it's a pretty whatever news source to be honest.

Nice catch, interesting article.   In line with what I posted earlier.   What happening with SI / Maven is part of the bigger attempt of the traditional news media, sports media in this case, to adapt.  
There are just new financial realities with the technology shifts which have changed the way people consume news and information in general.
Like Reply
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/conte...rmat=2500w

Just happen to run across this guy and thought hey, that looks sorta like...
Like Reply
I don't really know why Fish needs to latch onto any of these companies. He can pretty much self-publish and still do subscriptions, ads with any number of platforms.
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 02:13 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't really know why Fish needs to latch onto any of these companies. He can pretty much self-publish and still do subscriptions, ads with any number of platforms.

He'd be lucky to break even with that model. 
Even bigger sites with pooled traffic have trouble bringing in cash. 
He's costing Maven more money than revenue he brings in
Like Reply
(10-18-2019, 06:51 AM)WillE Wrote:
I just found out everybody had migrated here. I was so sad about the new site.

Happy to be on board again!
#Forever41
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 02:26 PM)Jym Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:13 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't really know why Fish needs to latch onto any of these companies. He can pretty much self-publish and still do subscriptions, ads with any number of platforms.

He'd be lucky to break even with that model. 

I don't know what that means? What does Maven bring to the table exactly?
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 07:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:26 PM)Jym Wrote: He'd be lucky to break even with that model. 

If the rumored numbers are to be believed, he gets around 30k each for the cowboys and Mavs mavens. Which depending on how much he has to pay the other writers that could start running thin pretty quick. But that's steady monthly income as long as the parent company stays solvent. 
He couldn't get close to 60k running those sites independently with a focus on advertising and subscriptions. He'd need investors to make it viable 

Small click ads on sites bring in barely any money. You need tons of views on long form ads like on YouTube to make anything. And those dont pay like they used to.
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 06:06 PM)Goaticorn Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 06:51 AM)WillE Wrote:
I just found out everybody had migrated here. I was so sad about the new site.

Happy to be on board again!
 Welcome!
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 08:07 PM)Jym Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 07:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:26 PM)Jym Wrote: He'd be lucky to break even with that model. 

If the rumored numbers are to be believed, he gets around 30k each for the cowboys and Mavs mavens. Which depending on how much he has to pay the other writers that could start running thin pretty quick. But that's steady monthly income as long as the parent company stays solvent. 
He couldn't get close to 60k running those sites independently with a focus on advertising and subscriptions. He'd need investors to make it viable 

Small click ads on sites bring in barely any money. You need tons of views on long form ads like on YouTube to make anything. And those dont pay like they used to.

Seems like not enough money for the effort to manage a site and contributors to make it all work. Does Maven still have paid subscriptions for premium content or did that go away?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bryancurtis/status/1...1898146816

https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/31/209...orts-media
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/bryancurtis/status/1...1898146816

https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/31/209...orts-media

It's not only sports writing. Basically it is economy 4.0 where companies try to benefit from their customers work.
The customer does the work and a platform earns the money. They only provide an infrastructure.

This can be found in almost any economy but especially in heavily content driven endeavors.

As if limbic capitalism wasn't enough already. Future looks dull and probably will lead to another dark ages as good content will be hard to filter and hard to access. Quality will be limited to the upper class.

It's resulting in a form of addictive and psychological slavery. Somehow they don't provide services for customers but make them hook on something and then milking them. 

It's gross.
Like Reply
Wow so Fish jumped to a bad site and now it seems if he is a classic Maven type of reporter they targeted...

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMPVwBh.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 03:44 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Wow so Fish jumped to a bad site and now it seems if he is a classic Maven type of reporter they targeted...

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMPVwBh.../giphy.gif

To be frank he has a nice style of reporting. His interaction with the community was cool as you felt closer to the team through him, but his reporting always lacked substance. Simply no quality content from a gist point of view.

Best contributor by far was David Lord.

This community was his substance and he lost it with the move. 

There really is no quality Mavericks news source right now. It's a market gap.

https://giphy.com/gifs/QVP7DawXZitKYg3AX5
Like Reply