Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 149, Rockets 153
Mavs, Rox Re-Open Season With 302-Point Overtime Thriller

Welcome back, Mavs fans! Mavericks basketball is back! It's disappointing that our boys ended up with the short end of the game stick, but there is a lot to be excited about!

Updates

For anyone who has taken a break during the hiatus, perhaps some roster updating would be in order. The Mavs were allowed to take 17 players into the bubble. 

They chose to take along three guys who are out for the season due to injuries and will not play -- Dwight Powell, Jalen Brunson, and Courtney Lee. 

The team has been using a starting lineup of Doncic, Curry, THJ, DFS, and KP. 

Backup players include:

Big men -- Maxi, Boban. (WCS opted out of playing in the bubble, due to the impending birth of his child.) 
  Forwards -- Justin Jackson, MKG
  Point guards -- Wright, Barea, Trey Burke. (Burke was picked up earlier in July as a sub when WCS opted out.) 
  Off guards -- Josh Reaves, Antonius Cleveland (Two-way players from the Legends.)

Game Story

The players and coaches from both teams, along with the referees, knelt during a solo vocal performance of the national anthem. All the parties wore black shirts with Black Lives Matter lettering, and locked arms during the anthem. Carlisle and Harden were positioned in the center, their interlocked arms joining the two teams as a sign of unity. The gym floor is a hard surface, and many participants sported towels underneath their knees. 

First quarter. The two teams entered the court with playoff-style intensity and energy. The Rockets maintained a single-digit lead for most of the frame, largely on the back of a 23-point performance from Harden, who was 6-6 from the field and 9-9 from the line. The Mavs came back to tie the game 42-all after one, once Boban entered the game (or once Harden left, whichever way you want to look at it). Dallas' offensive prowess was on display, with 15 points from KP and 10 from THJ. 

Second quarter. This was the Mavs' most prolific period, with 43 points, including a 15-point explosion from Burke and THJ continuing his fireworks with a 9-point contribution. Russ was Houston's high scorer with 13. Dallas led 85-75 at the half. The 85 points tied the team record for highest points in a first half, and broke a record for points allowed in a half by Houston. 

Third quarter. Dallas' lead shrank to one in the middle of the frame, but they came back to end the period with back-to-back threes from Burke and KP for a 119-108 scoreline. Porzingis and Luka combined for 20 of the team's 34 points. 

Fourth quarter

The Mavs' lead dwindled as the period went on, but they still maintained a 7-point edge with 45 seconds left to go. Alas, the team's well-known clutch woes turned out to be their undoing once again. Harden hit a long pull-up to cut the lead to 4. Luka missed a three, and THJ was called for a shooting foul on Covington, who hit his free throws.

However, Dallas still held a 2-point advantage with possession and only 6 seconds to play. Westbrook fouled Seth, who had the chance to ice the game by hitting both free throws, but instead split the pair, leaving Houston with a chance to tie if they could hit a three in the five remaining seconds. DFS successfully committed an intentional foul on Harden, fouling out in the process. James hit his first three throw, and intentionally missed the second. Covington dashed in for the tip-in ahead of the Mavs' rebounders, incredibly tying the game with three seconds to go. Luka missed a desperation heave for the final shot, sending the game to overtime, with the score tied at 139 apiece. 

Overtime. The Mavs entered the extra period with their shoulders slumping. The disappointment at the Rocket's 7-1 run to force extra time was palpable. They still managed to build a 4-point margin at 3:21, but it went downhill from there. House completed a three, followed by a Harden layup to put Houston up 1. THJ lost the ball to a Westbrook steal, and Harden had an and-one for a 4-point Rockets lead, as Curry fouled out with a reach-in on a play that Luka arguably had covered. Each team scored six points in the remaining minutes, with Luka fouling out in the last 30 seconds. 

Analytics

Dallas was brilliant offensively for much of the game, but their familiar problems with defense and poor performance in clutch situations turned up to bite them. I think the disappointing performances in close end-of-game situations are largely the result of their still being a very young team and perhaps getting a little nervous and making questionable decisions under pressure. KP also mentioned that they were trying to slow the game down in the last minute, and got a little out of their rhythm, venturing that perhaps they would have been better off continuing to be aggressive and continuing what they had been doing. 

Houston is outstanding at forcing turnovers, and the Mavs were the victim of that skill, giving up 24 points off 20 giveaways. Luka was responsible for 8 of those, partly due to a bit of laxness, and partly due to making aggressive, risky plays. Both teams scored well, with the Mavs ending up -8 on points from twos, +6 on points from threes, and -2 on free throws. In this regard, the Mavs did not take as much advantage of their size edge as I had hoped they would, with the Rox outscoring them 64-44 in the paint. Additionally, I feel like I'm always harping on this, but Dallas missed ten free throws, and it continues to frustrate me that such excellent shooters continue to give up so many free points. Seth and Luka combined to go 8-15 from the foul line. SMH.

On the brighter side, Dallas won the rebounding battle by 12, and claimed 13 offensive boards and 24 second-chance points. Still, they may have suffered a bit of lack of focus even on the glass. At one point in the fourth, Harden heaved a pretty terrible tired-looking three, and Westbrook dashed in ahead of two Mavs for the tip-in. Not to speak of the tipped-in free throw rebound to tie the game at the end. 

Players 

It is a shame that some of these outstanding performances were wasted in a loss, but I still think it is worthwhile to note them. A lot of these guys looked pretty darn good out there.

Luka (42 min) -- I would say Luka had a good game, but not outstanding by his standards. He filled up the box score with 28 points, 13 boards, and 10 assists, but also recorded 8 turnovers, missed four free throws, fouled out, and had an 11-27 shooting night, including 1-9 from deep. We could pick apart his performance, and I think he will do that himself, but it's hard to remember he's still just a second-year guy who has never been to the NBA playoffs, and much of his supporting cast are also lacking experience in the post-season. (I know it's not the post-season yet, but this is what we're looking at him for, right?) Long story short, he has a lot to work on, but he was phenomenal in many respects, and I think he will do us proud in the big picture. 

THJ (41 min) --  Tim had an outstanding night offensively, scoring 24 points and  going 7-7 from the line. It was breathtaking how fast he managed to get a shot off when his defenders would rush at him. He had a very nice steal late, although he also had a bad turnover or two. Overall, he exceeded expectations in his role as a third option to complement KP and Luka, and also had some excellent finds for a few assists. He wasn't able to hold off Harden/Westbrook very well, but he made an effort, and who really expected him to? Good job, overall. 

KP (39 min) -- Zinger continued to be a great matchup for the Rockets, serving as the Mavs' high scorer with 39 points, going 10-11 from the line, and collecting 16 rebounds. He repeatedly shot over the various mice in the house, and used his size to grab rebounds from the height-challenged Rox "big men." Although he completed only 3 of his 8 three-point tries, his willingness to let it fly kept the defense honest and opened up space for inside scorers. The Mavericks player of the game, I would say. 

Maxi (34 min) -- Maxi didn't have a spectacular line (7-7-3), but contributed immensely on the defensive end. The Dallas guards were generally unable to cope defensively with the Rockets back court, and Kleber filled in with stopping duties, often combining in the front court with KP, and filling in for DFS after Doe-Doe fouled out. A good player to have against this opponent. 

Burke (30 min) -- Trey was a revelation, putting up 31 points, hitting 8-10 threes, and dishing six dimes. The Mavs just signed the guy this month, and he was already amazing! I was disappointed when he got only 2 minutes in the fourth quarter, at the beginning of the period. Rick put Seth in for the last ten minutes of regulation, and also played Curry in overtime, until he fouled out and Trey took over. From the look on Burke's face, he was pretty disappointed too. Maybe it's not fair to second-guess the coach on this, but I would have liked to see Trey get a few more important minutes, given how well he was playing. 

DFS (28 min) -- Doe-Doe didn't have one of his best nights, although he did have a very tough assignment, trying to corral the Rockets back court. Most of his contributions were on the defensive end, and I thought he might have been a little over-eager offensively. The Rockets tended to leave him open when they were picking their poison, and I think that turned out to be a good strategy on their part, unfortunately. Dorian also made a few mistakes, with 5 missed shots, 3 turnovers, and 6 fouls in regulation, but I do think we have to consider the difficulty of his task. 

Seth (23 min) -- It was a pretty disappointing night for Curry, which I wasn't expecting. He missed all of his shots, was 3-6 from the line, and fouled out. Aside from a couple of steals, he was generally not very effective on the defensive end. Very uncharacteristic performance from Seth, and I look for it to be an outlier. 

Wright (15 min) -- Eh. Had 5 points, but wasn't really his night.  

Jackson (8 min) -- Justin's outing was unremarkable. 

Boban (5 min) -- Bobi had 6 points and 5 boards in his cameo on the court, and he really punished the Rockets on the offensive end. I was a little disappointed that we didn't see more of him, although I wasn't really expecting him to be used much, if at all. Rick said that he wanted to play Boban when Harden was out of the game, I presume for defensive reasons. However, given that Harden was waltzing to the cup with impunity for much of the game, whoever was supposed to be protecting the rim, I thought the Gentle Giant might have been able to make them pay a little, as he was getting offensive boards and putbacks like they were going out of style. Rick mentioned after the game that they had considered putting Marjanovic in for the rebound on Harden's intentionally missed second free throw at the end of regulation, but they decided not to, and Rick wanted to just leave it at that. Hindsight is 20-20, but Bobi might have grabbed that sucker. 

Other -- Reaves, Cleveland and Barea were DNP-CD's. MKG was inactive. 

Rockets -- The Rockets superstars did what they do. Harden was a machine, with 49 points, including 18-21 FTAs, although it did take him 20 shots to get those other 31. He also racked up 9 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks while playing 43 of the total 48 minutes. He looked pretty gassed by the end, so at least the Mavs made him work. But he was ultimately just too unstoppable on this particular night. Russ also stuffed the stat sheet, with 31 points, 11 boards, and 8 assists. He was not particularly efficient (13-30 FGA) and had 6 turnovers, but the absolutely relentless nature of his play was just enough to overcome the Mavs. He just never, ever gives up on a play, and I think that grinding commitment might be something the Mavs could take a page from. Danuel House, Jr. contributed 20 points, including 6 threes. I was puzzled that Dallas kept leaving him open -- he really burned them. 

Remarks

Luka thought the Mavs played very well for most of the game, and that a combination of poor execution and bad luck accounted for their demise at the end. He was conscious of his own errors, but also thinks the team has a lot to build on, and has no long-term worries about the group. Carlisle attributed the loss to basic execution errors, and took the responsibility upon himself, so as to take the pressure off the players. KP interestingly described the result as a "great" loss, opining that it was a great game from both sides, the contest was a great experience, and he thought the Mavs would watch the film and learn a lot from their mistakes. 

I guess I run the danger of being strangely Pollyannish after a disappointing loss, but I am somewhat optimistic after the initial gut-punch. After watching this game, I don't know whether the team can win a first-round series, but I definitely think they could make a series against just about any team competitive, and that whoever opposes them in the first round is not going to think they got an easy draw. It is really tough for an inexperienced team to make a playoff run, and if they make a good account of themselves, I think it will give them a lot of confidence, and that their future is bright, assuming good health. Even now, I doubt there are many teams in this bubble that will score 149 points in one game, no matter who the opponent is. We may well have seen the only two. 

At any rate, it's great to be watching Mavericks basketball again, and I look forward to hearing from all you good thinkers on the board!

Next.  Phoenix, on Sunday.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: After watching this game, I don't know whether the team can win a first-round series, but I definitely think they could make a series against just about any team competitive, and that whoever opposes them in the first round is not going to think they got an easy draw. It is really tough for an inexperienced team to make a playoff run, and if they make a good account of themselves, I think it will give them a lot of confidence, and that their future is bright, assuming good health

I too was ultimately encouraged as painful as it was to watch the loss. The Mavs are right there and they have NO real experience and NO business being able to hang with teams and players that have a decade of experience battling for the title. Every great team and player has to earn their way in through many crucial losses and disappointments. You learn through failure. Buckle up if you want to watch Luka succeed in this league, there is going to be some significant failure.
Like Reply
I disagree that Luka had a good game. Statistically it looks fine but was filled with empty stats. Luka is talented enough to get to rim anytime he wants to put up points or rebound the ball with best in the league.

However this wasn't his best performance or a one good at that. When his three point attempts weren't clanking off the side of the backboard, airballing floaters in the lane, or wildly throwing behind the back passes out bounds, he was missing FT's, committing fouls and passing up layups for passes which were deflected out of bounds. He attempted 27 shots to score 28 points. All around, it wasn't a good preformance.
Like Reply
Good write up, thanks.

Putting aside the painful collapse, this was really fun to watch and am happy the season was able to restart.

I agree the unicorn was the best player.  

Will Burke ever play that well again?  He wasn't a ball hog shooter either as he had 6 assists.  It would be great to have him consistently take JJB's minutes.

Seth, please fix whatever happened.  

I hate losing to the Rockets and their cartoon character lineups, but maybe the young Mavs will learn from this.
Like Reply
Just rewatched the last 5 minutes of regulation.

5:23 Westbrook turnover. Mavs up 123-131

5:05 DFS and Curry pass the ball around on the perimeter. Curry is forced to drive against Tucker and Westbrook. Curry misses midrange fadeaway. Tucker rebounds. KP never touches the ball. Doncic brings the ball up the floor and never touches it again.

4:57 Curry with the steal vs Westbrook. Mavs fastbreak doesn´t work. Curry penetrates. Kicks to DFS. Pass to Doncic.
4:46 Doncic airballs an stepback 3 with 13s left on the shot clock. Rebound Harden

4:39 THJ fouls RoCo on a dunk attempt. Mavs played terrible transition D. Harden outlets to RW. Attacks the rim and dishes it to RoCo. THJ prevents easy points. RoCo 2/2 from the line. Kleber in DFS out. Mavs up 125-131.

4:21 Doncic-KP two man game. Good defense by the Rockets. KP passes to THJ. THJ misses midrange jumper. KP with the offensive rebound/tip in. Mavs up
125-133.

4:09 Harden brings the ball up the floor. Mavs double. Harden finds Westbrook rolling to the rim. Maxi is late on defense. Open layup. Mavs up 127-133.

3:54 Doncic iso vs Harden penetrates and kicks it to THJ. THJ finds Maxi wide open in the right corner. Maxi misses the 3. Rebound Harden

3:44 Curry reaches in vs Harden. Foul. No freethrows.

3:39 Harden drives. Kick out to RoCo. Missed 3. THJ rebound.

3:20 Doncic hand off with Kleber. Drive to the rim. Spin move. Doncic misses open floater in the paint. Tucker rebounds. KP fouls him. 4th team foul.

3:12 Westbrook dribbles the ball up the court. Takes and contested midrange jumper vs Doncic. Rebound Doncic.

2:55 Doncic-Kleber pick and roll is denied. THJ gets the ball. Drives along the baseline and misses a contested layup. Rebound RoCo.

2:45 Mavs double Harden. Pass to RoCo. Curry intercepts the pass to Tucker. Turnover Rockets. Maxi picks it up and tries to find Curry down the court. Harden intercepts the pass. Turnover Mavs.

2:31 Harden passes out of the double team. Westbrook finds Tucker wide open in the corner. Tucker misses an wide open 3. Maxi rebound.

2:07 Doncic iso vs Harden. Cannot beat him of the dribble. Shot clock is down to 5s. Pass to Maxi. Pass to KP who throws up a prayer with 1s on the clock. Rebound House.

1:55 Mavs double Harden. Luka prevents a pass to Westbrook. Kick ball violation. Houston ball.

1:47 Harden iso vs THJ. Misses step back 3. Westbrook with the offense rebound/tip in over KP and Doncic. Mavs up 129-133.

1:37 Doncic drive to the rim vs RoCo. Makes the layup and draws the foul. Mavs up 129-135
Doncic misses the and1 freethrow. Rebound RoCo.

1:24 Harden finds an open RoCo. RoCo attacks the rim. Throws up a bad layup attempts. Westbrook nearly tips it in again but Doncic gets the rebound.

1:04 Doncic brings the ball up the floor. KP establishes a deep post position vs Harden. Gets the ball. Harden nearly strips the ball. KP recovers and misses and midrange bank shot. KP fouls Harden on the rebound attempt.
Freethrows Harden. 2/2. Mavs up 131-135.

0:45 Doncic iso vs Harden. Westbrook leaves Maxi wide open in the corner. Luka finds him. Maxi nails it. Mavs up 131-138.

0:40 Harden brings the ball up the floor. Takes a quick step back 3 from 30+ ft. Makes it. Nothing the Mavs could do about it. Mavs up 134-138.

0:21 Doncic iso vs Harden. Penetrates. RoCo deflects the the kick out pass to Maxi. Mavs ball. 5s left on the shot clock. Time out Dallas.

0:17 Curry inbounds to KP. Pass to Doncic. Doncic misses a deep 3. Rebound Harden.

0:06 Harden attacks the rim and blows by Curry who does not want to foul. Kick out to House is nearly out of bounds. House barely gets the ball to RoCo. RoCo drives and draws the foul vs THJ. RoCo 2/2 from the line. Mavs up 136-138.

0:05 Doncic inbounds to Curry. Westbrook fouls him. Curry misses the first FT. Makes the 2nd. Mavs up 136-139.

0:04 RoCo inbounds to Harden. DFS fouls him. I think Harden was already in a shooting motion but thankfully the refs ruled in favor of the Mavs.
Harden goes to the FT line. Makes the first. Misses the 2nd. RoCo beats Maxi and tips it in. Tied 139-139.

0:00 Maxi inbounds to Doncic. Doncic misses a highly contested off balance 3. Overtime.

Some noticable tendencies:

- I think force feeding Doncic vs Harden was not the smartest move. When Harden is engaged he is a good defender. It worked in the 2nd and 3rd quarter because Harden was in foul trouble. In the last 5 minutes that´s not as important.

- In total the Mavs had 13 possessions in the last 5 minutes. With a 2-3 possession lead. The clock management was terrible. There is no need for rushed shot attempts with more than 10s on the clock. Especially Lukas step back 3s. Including the made FT from Curry they only scored 4/13 times. Including a terrible 1/6 from 3. With Luka going 0/4 from 3.

- KP was barely involved on offense. One post up. One prayer from 3. One tip in. The Rockets switched the pick and roll and took him out of the game.

- Mavs might have won the rebounding battle but when it mattered most they were asleep. No boxouts at all. Westbrook had multiple opportunities because Doncic did not box out. Maxi missed the crucial boxout that allowed RoCo the tip in to tie the game.

- Don´t know where to start on defense. No energy, no scheme. Has a team ever lost a game despite scoring 139 points in regulation?
Like Reply
The team is young. At the same time, I would like every possession in the last 5 mins to be a designed two man play with Kp and Luka. Everyone else’s shots should feed off that. Having that plan in mind makes it simpler also. If we lose due to that strategy, I am fine with it. Right now the last 5 mins always seems haphazard.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 06:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 03:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: After watching this game, I don't know whether the team can win a first-round series, but I definitely think they could make a series against just about any team competitive, and that whoever opposes them in the first round is not going to think they got an easy draw. It is really tough for an inexperienced team to make a playoff run, and if they make a good account of themselves, I think it will give them a lot of confidence, and that their future is bright, assuming good health

I too was ultimately encouraged as painful as it was to watch the loss. The Mavs are right there and they have NO real experience and NO business being able to hang with teams and players that have a decade of experience battling for the title. Every great team and player has to earn their way in through many crucial losses and disappointments. You learn through failure. Buckle up if you want to watch Luka succeed in this league, there is going to be some significant failure.
I think there is a lot to this analysis. 

When I try to step back from the individual result and think about it as if I were responsible for improving this team, I feel like there is a great base of talent and character to work with. The result was, statistically speaking, a tie, and that is a more than respectable result against the dialed-in Rockets in a playoff-style game. 

It seems to me that, generally speaking, this group looks a season away from truly being a contender. As impressive as they are, they still make a lot of "little" execution errors that are probably fixable with time. By contender standards, they just don't look sharp, and they are still lacking that "killer instinct" -- that hypervigilance, unrelenting every-single-second focus, aggressiveness at pouncing on every opponent error, and ability to raise their game on defense and rebounding in the clutch that seasoned contenders exhibit. 

I think it's likely that they'll get there, and I have more hope than I have had in a number of years. But I don't think it looks like being fixed this season. There's just too much that needs to come together in too short a time. Nevertheless, I look for these guys to make some noise even now. And they're going to be a barrel of fun to watch as they blossom before our eyes.

Anyway, good points!
Like Reply
My problem with just using age as an excuse is that there is no plan currently. If this season is a stepping stone then use it wisely. There is no excuse for the last 5 mins of the game to not go exclusively through KP and Luka. Absolutely none!! Maybe the execution might need another season or two to be continuously unstoppable like a Malone/Stockton PnR, but the plan should be there right now.

Also KP and Luka are the cornerstones. The team should already be planning what the long term defensive schemes are knowing those two’s individual strengths and weaknesses.

I am not concerned about the results. The lack of plan bothers me because teams that are lucky enough to land even one stud, let alone two, immediately start their planned schemes in motion even if the it might take a few years for the results to come.
Like Reply
Luka was 1-9 from 3 and down to 31.4% and still attempts 9.1 a game, maybe they should reign that in by a few attempts a game

also you can't give up 153 pts

also why tf didn't they stick with the hot hand in Burke? they forced Seth in there when he wasn't having a great game and it cost them
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 10:53 AM)robillionaire Wrote: Luka was 1-9 from 3 and down to 31.4% and still attempts 9.1 a game, maybe they should reign that in by a few attempts a game

also why tf didn't they stick with the hot hand in Burke? they forced Seth in there when he wasn't having a great game and it cost them

Luka is a good shooter but he takes bad shots. His mechanics and arc are fine. If his 3s come in the flow of the offense with the ball moving around, it is fine. He hurts his percentages by taking bad shots. Youth.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 11:06 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:53 AM)robillionaire Wrote: Luka was 1-9 from 3 and down to 31.4% and still attempts 9.1 a game, maybe they should reign that in by a few attempts a game

Luka is a good shooter but he takes bad shots. His mechanics and arc are fine. If his 3s come in the flow of the offense with the ball moving around, it is fine. He hurts his percentages by taking bad shots. Youth.

Yeah, I agree. Cut out 2-3 of those a game and it would go a long way
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 10:49 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: My problem with just using age as an excuse is that there is no plan currently. If this season is a stepping stone then use it wisely. There is no excuse for the last 5 mins of the game to not go exclusively through KP and Luka. Absolutely none!!  Maybe the execution might need another season or two to be continuously unstoppable like a Malone/Stockton PnR, but the plan should be there right now. 

Also KP and Luka are the cornerstones. The team should already be planning what the long term defensive schemes are knowing those two’s individual strengths and weaknesses.

I am not concerned about the results. The lack of plan bothers me because teams that are lucky enough to land even one stud, let alone two, immediately start their planned schemes in motion even if the it might take a few years for the results to come.
I agree that it is frustrating to see how chaotic and disorganized they look, as previously powerful offense turns into random isolation possessions for Luka, often ending in a terrible shot, over and over in the most high-pressure parts of the game.  I also struggle to understand why they keep going to this in the clutch when it has clearly not been working for a long time. 

If there really isn't a plan, then the Mavs have to take a hard look at the coach and the GM. We know Rick and Donnie well by now, and they have some characteristic weak spots, as everyone does. But it isn't at all characteristic of either of them to operate out of their hip pockets. My guess is that Rick has some long-term vision of a free-flowing, unpredictable, unguardable offense that his crew is just not close to being able to execute at this point when the opponent clamps down. But you totally have a point. The devolution of the offense into standing around and watching Luka work against double-teams at the ends of games is practically unwatchable. 

Defensively, I think they need to step up a level in terms of personnel, either through signing new players or through significant improvement in the guys they have. They are already a juggernaut offensively (except for the clutch), but they're far from that status on the defensive end, and that has to change if they hope to compete. I would bet that Donnie has his Plans A-D ready, and awaits opportunities to pounce. But, yes, they need to have a plan in mind, and that may well involve a multi-year effort. 

Thought-provoking comments, hakeem. Good to see you back!
Like Reply
The big question is, is our historically good offense good just against regular season low effort level defense or can it also work against playoff level defense. So far, it seems it is the first. It worked for three quarters but when Houston stepped a notch defensively, it just fell apart. Defense is what wins the rings, not offense.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 10:39 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: By contender standards, they just don't look sharp, and they are still lacking that "killer instinct" -- that hypervigilance, unrelenting every-single-second focus, aggressiveness at pouncing on every opponent error, and ability to raise their game on defense and rebounding in the clutch that seasoned contenders exhibit.

YES, SO MUCH THIS.

(08-01-2020, 11:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: My guess is that Rick has some long-term vision of a free-flowing, unpredictable, unguardable offense that his crew is just not close to being able to execute at this point when the opponent clamps down.

Yep. IMO (which is just that and nothing more), it feels that RC is purposely letting them try to figure this out on their own. He wants them to develop instincts before he overly controls things. 

It is funny, I use to complain and moan about RC being a control freak and now it feels like he has swung too far the other way. But I am sure there is a method to the madness. Time will tell if the method is right or not.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 11:52 AM)omahen Wrote: The big question is, is our historically good offense good just against regular season low effort level defense or can it also work against playoff level defense. So far, it seems it is the first. It worked for three quarters but when Houston stepped a notch defensively, it just fell apart. Defense is what wins the rings, not offense.
It´s cause we have nobody besides Luka that can create his own shot. Not Porzingis. Not Seth. Not THJ. Most certainly not Wright, Kleber or DFS. The closest we have to a secondary playmaker is Brunson. Though we are a historically great offense on paper (and you identified the problem), when teams step up their defensive effort against Luka, we have no other off the dribble creators. Ideally we´d acquire CP3, Oladipo or Holiday to cover veteran leadership, play-making and perimeter defense all in one.
Like Reply
I so love this thread and I thank those who make it so great. I ask you to give a read to my new post on the End of the Game Dynamic and my best thinking to describe the dynamic from a whole lot of years of experience and thoughts on how to solve it. I think it is the thing that comes next for this team.

PS. I did not mention free throw shooting but I should have because we do create free throws pretty well and making them would erase some of our deficiencies as one Seth free throw would have done last night. Of our 17 close losses, my memory thinks we could have saved as many as 6 of them by making 1-3 missed free throws.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 09:14 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Some noticable tendencies:

- I think force feeding Doncic vs Harden was not the smartest move. When Harden is engaged he is a good defender. It worked in the 2nd and 3rd quarter because Harden was in foul trouble. In the last 5 minutes that´s not as important.

- In total the Mavs had 13 possessions in the last 5 minutes. With a 2-3 possession lead. The clock management was terrible. There is no need for rushed shot attempts with more than 10s on the clock. Especially Lukas step back 3s. Including the made FT from Curry they only scored 4/13 times. Including a terrible 1/6 from 3. With Luka going 0/4 from 3.

- KP was barely involved on offense. One post up. One prayer from 3. One tip in. The Rockets switched the pick and roll and took him out of the game.

- Mavs might have won the rebounding battle but when it mattered most they were asleep. No boxouts at all. Westbrook had multiple opportunities because Doncic did not box out. Maxi missed the crucial boxout that allowed RoCo the tip in to tie the game.

- Don´t know where to start on defense. No energy, no scheme. Has a team ever lost a game despite scoring 139 points in regulation?
Thanks for your detailed summary of the last 5 1/2 minutes above. Very enlightening. 

Also, thanks for identifying some of the patterns that the Mavs need to work on during such periods. 

Agree that the Mavs need to come up with a new plan when the defense repeatedly swarms Luka on every play, other than having him pound the ball while he tries to escape and then having him heave some ridiculously difficult shot. This may be a little on the rad side, but I think Luka could be effective off the ball for some possessions, rather than having things be so predictable. At any rate, something besides forcing him into isolation plays. 

Agree that the team has work to do on clock management, which probably requires more time together than they have in this season. That's a critical skill, and they don't have it down at this point. 

Their three-point shooting prowess melts down in the clutch. Partly it's Luka taking insanely difficult shots, and it's partly just guys missing good shots that they have to make at that time in the game. 

Agree that the Mavs were unable to press their size advantage at these crucial times, due to the Rockets' ability to neutralize KP. This is partly a coaching issue, and is one they need to address. 

The failure to box out and the late rotations are poor fundamentals that are going to continue to cost them games until they get these issues resolved. Unacceptable. 

The mediocre free-throw shooting continues to appall me. Since this is my pet hobby-horse, and I am prone to ranting on the subject, I won't carry on. But they could moot a lot of other stuff if they just made their FTs. Grrr. 

Notwithstanding the frustration, these are all correctable problems, given time. Hopefully, they will work on these, and we will see the team make another leap next season. 

Appreciate the analysis.
Like Reply
Did anyone notice Burke was insisting on playing defense to ball handler? I can't recall who, if he waive off Hardaway or DFS but he was so engage on harden. Like he knew confidently how to stop him, or confidently felt he could dominate both sides of the court. I still find it hard to believe that Coach went with Curry for so long in the 4th. Burke had 6 assists, he could of had him relieve Doncic from ballhandling too much.
Like Reply
Doncic wasn´t "good" by any means yesterday. These are the kind of numbers any reasonable basketball fans especially around here called "empty", when Westbrook had them: Atrocious shooting and heaps of turnover. I would say this was maybe a C- or D+ from Luka (I don´t care about the triple double at all). I hope he can pick it up
Like Reply
(08-01-2020, 01:16 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Burke was insisting on playing defense

Burke was excellent on both sides. He really went in with a mission. Totally outclassed Wright (on both ends). He can certainly provide that bench spark we were missing for a while. 

(08-01-2020, 01:16 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: I still find it hard to believe that Coach went with Curry for so long in the 4th.

Last time Burke was in (not counting the stint in overtime - I think it was start of fourth), he basically tried to take Luka role and initiated several offenses and he wasn't successful. I am not sure that was gameplan or his own initiative. Whatever it was, he was subbed and forgotten on the bench. I am not sure why they didn't leave him in an offball role he was so good at for most of the game. Unless perhaps he wanted to do too much.
Like Reply