Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Scrimmage 3: Mavs vs. 76ers (118-115 OT win)
(07-30-2020, 08:18 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: you would need Dallas to add some salary and THJ would have to opt-in before being traded

Adding salary is not a problem. Just throw in Jackson to Detroit. I didn'tdo exact calculations, just my gut feeling. THJ opting in to get traded might be more tricky. But he wouldn't be going to a bad place. 

(07-30-2020, 08:18 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: a deal with multiple picks after the new season

Just as a side note. Philly has many picks available in the following years.

(07-30-2020, 08:18 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Personally, I'd try to do a smaller version where Detroit is forced to take Wright in order to get #18 and Z. Smith.  Dallas gets Richardson and Philly gets Rose/Kennard.

This would be great, although I think it is a bit light for Detroit. At least #31 would need to be added. I would still do it. I could see Wright flourish in a situation as Detroit and increase his trade value. Perhpas they could flip him for another smaller asset or two at TDL.
Like Reply
(07-30-2020, 08:36 AM)omahen Wrote: This would be great, although I think it is a bit light for Detroit. At least #31 would need to be added. I would still do it. I could see Wright flourish in a situation as Detroit and increase his trade value. Perhpas they could flip him for another smaller asset or two at TDL.

I have a new toy.  I got access to BBIndex and all of their data.  Richardson, at least the 19/20 version, and Wright both grade out as below average on an overall basis (both were better last season)  The thing you hope for in making a deal like this is that you improve team weaknesses without creating new weaknesses as you lose things Wright is good at.   He’s a strong finisher and playmaker and grades out as our best perimeter defender (not saying much).  Dallas is ranked 28th in the league in perimeter D, so we can’t give up any quality there.  

The team is also bad at finishing.  Richardson is above average, but not great, at those things, so no big step backwards.  In addition, Richardson moves really well without the ball (which might make him valuable on a team with Luka passing and some good shooters on the perimeter.  The Miami version was also a good perimeter shooter.  My point is this trade is probably more about fit than talent, but the fit seems strong.

Something else I noticed tooling around the site.  Dallas doesn’t need a specific position.  It needs perimeter D...again 28th of 30 teams.  We are just fine inside, but terrible outside.  Finishing at the rim is another weakness.  You know who does both and is a good off the ball mover and a good roll guy...DJonesJr.  If you could trade for Richardson and use the MLE on Jones Jr. And keep WCS, it would help the perimeter D a ton.  Other guys who are highly ranked at perimeter D include Dunn, Green, Beverly, Bazemore and Harkless.  The thing I like about Jones Jr. Is you can have one of he and DFS on the court at all times (two in D for O swaps late in games).  One issue is it would be hard to play him alongside Powell in a bench unit.  But, we don’t tend to platoon lineups anyway.
Like Reply
(07-30-2020, 10:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dallas is ranked 28th in the league in perimeter D

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Another name on the list of good perimeter defenders is Thaddeus Young.  He also has one of those contracts that is about $14mm at the upcoming TDL, but is only guaranteed $6mm the next year.  Even if we kept him in 21, he's $3mm cheaper than Wright.  I personally think Chicago would have to compensate Dallas in such a deal, but I don't know what that would look like.  

If you do this, I think you'd start him at the 4 and slide DFS to the 3 and move Curry back to the bench to take Wright's bench role as a SG.  You could draft the eventual replacement for Young and give him time to grow up.  You'd still have the MLE to replace Jackson's minutes (I'd still add DJJr as a perimeter defender).

KP/Maxi
Young/Powell
DFS/DJJr.
THJ/Curry
Luka/Brunson
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 09:11 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Another name on the list of good perimeter defenders is Thaddeus Young. 

I have mentioned him a couple of times. He was much better in Indiana, but most players performed better than in Chicago. I am totally fine with Wright+Jackson for Young swap, even if nothing else is coming our way. Add DJJ or Dunn for MLE and we are suddenly capable of fielding a very good defensive unit if needed. 

Off unit: Luka, Curry, THJ, DFS, KP
Def unit: Luka, DJJ/Dunn, DFS, Young, KP (or Kleber)

Starting: Luka, THJ, DFS, Young, KP
Bench: Brunson, Curry, DJJ/Dunn, Maxi, Powell

We would still have #18 and #31 for a third string unit (plus Bobi, WCS or other 3rd string center and another vet like Barea or Lee) and increased internal competition. A lot of assets to combine for a higher level player while not really suffering in depth. Richardson for Wright and pick might make us even stronger but this easn't bad at all either.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 10:09 AM)omahen Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 09:11 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Another name on the list of good perimeter defenders is Thaddeus Young. 

I have mentioned him a couple of times. He was much better in Indiana, but most players performed better than in Chicago. I am totally fine with Wright+Jackson for Young swap, even if nothing else is coming our way. Add DJJ or Dunn for MLE and we are suddenly capable of fielding a very good defensive unit if needed. 

Off unit: Luka, Curry, THJ, DFS, KP
Def unit: Luka, DJJ/Dunn, DFS, Young, KP (or Kleber)

Starting: Luka, THJ, DFS, Young, KP
Bench: Brunson, Curry, DJJ/Dunn, Maxi, Powell

We would still have #18 and #31 for a third string unit (plus Bobi, WCS or other 3rd string center and another vet like Barea or Lee) and increased internal competition. A lot of assets to combine for a higher level player while not really suffering in depth. Richardson for Wright and pick might make us even stronger but this easn't bad at all either.

You’ve talked about the benefits of veteran leadership in discussing Horford.  You get that with Young also.  Keeping him and Lee around helps the locker room.  I like DJJr. better than Dunn.  But, part of the "compensation" for the Wright/Young deal could be a wink/wink agreement not to match the RFA offer we make to Dunn.

Wright and Young work straight up (just swapping each team's year ago ill-fitting major addition).  I added Jackson to even out the money, but you could pull him from the deal and combine him with a pick for a player if you wanted to.
Like Reply
Good stuff Dan and omahen....and Kam  Big Grin
Like Reply
(07-30-2020, 11:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 10:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dallas is ranked 28th in the league in perimeter D

@Dan. Is there a way to sort how many threes are taken against us and other teams?
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 01:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Good stuff Dan and omahen....and Kam  Big Grin

Kam did all the heavy lifting.

(07-31-2020, 03:16 PM)Mapka Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 11:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

@Dan. Is there a way to sort how many threes are taken against us and other teams?

I haven't figured out all there is to see on that site yet, but I haven't seen that.  NBA.com shows us 16th in 3 point attempts taken against us, but that isn't pace adjusted (which I think would matter as it relates to your question).  We actually give up the 7th best 3 point percentage.  So, clearly the 28th in perimeter D is about more than 3 point shooting by our opponent.  

It is funny, if you look at the opponent offensive numbers on NBA.com, we aren't bad at anything except we are second worse in the league at generating TO's (part of why we are so bad at fast break points).   We don't foul too much, we rebound fairly well and opponent shooting percent isn't bad.  Some of this may be scheme.  We basically cover the three point line and protect the rim and give up whatever the opponent wants in between...that and our perimeter players aren't fantastic at keeping people in front of them.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 03:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We basically cover the three point line and protect the rim and give up whatever the opponent wants in between

I noticed this. Teams good at midrange like Indiana are just killing us, because we give up way too easy two pointers.
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 04:22 PM)omahen Wrote: I noticed this. Teams good at midrange like Indiana are just killing us, because we give up way too easy two pointers.

Good thing we won't play Indiana until the finals!!

Here's hoping that Lou Williams decides to take his talents outside the bubble more often!
Like Reply
(07-31-2020, 04:22 PM)omahen Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 03:33 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We basically cover the three point line and protect the rim and give up whatever the opponent wants in between

I noticed this. Teams good at midrange like Indiana are just killing us, because we give up way too easy two pointers.

That´s the scheme. I think when it comes to defensive coaches we downgraded big time in the last 10 years. In 2011 we had Casey. When he left Monte Mathis took over. Next was Melvin Hunt and now we have Mosley.
In the last two years I have been trying to figure out what kind of scheme he is trying to implement. To this day I haven´t been able to do it. Biggest problem is probably the pick and roll. Same opposing player, same defenders, same situation. Sometimes the Mavs switch, sometimes they go over/under. It´s completly random.
Like Reply