Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 113, Nuggets 97
Boban Stars in Wipeout of Nuggets
NBA Season Suspended

I don't know how interested people still are in this game, in light of the bigger news, but I think it deserves notice. Fan favorite Boban Marjanovic was the man of the hour in a rollicking victory at the AAC over the West's third-placed team. 

Game Story

The Mavericks were missing several players, with Curry (ankle), DFS (hip flexor), and Porzingis (knee) on the injured list, along with Brunson and Powell. Rick selected a super-sized starting lineup of Luka/THJ/Lee/Maxi/Boban. 

Dallas got off to a slow start, but came back in the last couple of minutes of the first quarter to end the period with a 33-29 edge. They maintained a single-digit lead throughout the second, and went into halftime with a 57-50 advantage. Around the middle of the third quarter, they began to flag and trailed for the rest of the frame, with an 84-85 deficit after three. 

The fourth quarter was a barrel of fun, especially the second half. The Mavs were up five at the 5:14 mark, and ended the game on a 13-2 run. Boban had 16 of the Mavs' 29 points in the period, along with 8 rebounds! Delon Wright took Lee's place in the closing lineup, and he and Bobi went to town. The Nuggets were limited to 12 measly points in the quarter. Good times!

Analytics

This was not your typical Mavericks game. The team took only 35 threes, and made only 12 of those (34%). They had 23 FTAs, and Denver had only 11. All in all, they were -6 on points from threes, +12 on made free throws, and +10 on points from twos. They grabbed 13 offensive rebounds (9 by Bobi), earned 28 points off Nuggets turnovers while giving up only 2 points on their own, and recorded 60 points in the paint and 16 second-chance points. A decisive victory!

Players

Luka (40 min) was 28-6-9 in super-long minutes. He played with exuberance and was frequently spotted with a big grin on his face. He and Boban were really clicking, and he looked tickled pink every time Bobi scored from one of his passes. His injured hands are probably still sore, but he didn't grimace as much as he has done of late. Looked like he was really having a great time out there. 

Hardaway (39 min) was a little shot-happy, with 14 points on 15 attempts, but he had five rebounds and a steal, and some of his made shots were breathtaking. A great floor spacer, and enthusiastic competitor! Carlisle thought he was "phenomenal." 

Maxi (38 min) contributed to the offense with 15 points, including three triples, and anchored the defense in the absence of KP. 

Boban (31 min) was a flaming comet out there. He led all scorers with 31 points on 12-20 shooting, pulled down 17 rebounds, and had a couple of steals. One of those was the play of the game. Jokic grabbed a defensive rebound, and started to dribble. Bobi, who had hung back for a possible offensive board, bent down and stole the ball right out from under him, took a side step to the basket, and dropped the ball right in. I thought I would swoon. He had a career high in both points and rebounds. 

The gentle giant was totally unstoppable, and he made Jokic work for his points on the defensive end. Porzingis had better hurry back, or he might get Wally Pipped, lol. Carlisle admired his performance, calling it "spectacular." I don't think I've enjoyed watching a Mavs game more in a long time. Free Boban!

Wright (28 min) was excellent off the bench, and registered 10 points, 9 boards, 4 dimes, and 4 steals. He also led the team in +/-, at +27. Wow! He is not always an especially consistent player, but when he is on, he is very effective. Rick thought he played great defense, made some important plays, and had a huge three in the fourth quarter. 

Lee (20 min) had 7 points, and was stalwart defensively. Rick commended him after the game, saying he "loves" Lee, and that Lee has established himself as a "hell of an NBA player," a leader in the locker room, a mentor to the younger players, and a highly respected teammate. He has earned the right to play on this team, in Carlisle's eyes. 

Barea (17 min) had 2 points and 4 assists off the bench, and was chosen as the veteran player to speak after the game on the NBA news. Listening to his views, it is easy to imagine him as a steadying presence in the locker room. Coach thought he was "great" in the game. 

Jackson (16 min) didn't have much of a line (2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block), but the team was +11 when he was on the floor. 

WCS (10 min) made good use of his time on the court, recording 6 points and 7 boards. Carlisle thought he contributed in a big way. It was exciting to see him complete those alley-oops, and he was 3-3 from the field. A cool player. 

Nuggets. I was surprised to see Denver put together a relatively insipid performance. I don't think they were at their best in this match. The Mavs deserve credit for some of their poor showing, but they were also just missing open shots and committing unforced errors. I don't know what the issue was, but I'm glad our guys were able to take advantage. 

Remarks

Rick said this was one of the best regular-season wins that he has ever been a part of. He raved about his team's performance, particularly after the dud of the previous game, and with so many players being out. 

This was a thoroughly enjoyable contest, and something quite different for the Mavericks. A wonderful way to go into the season suspension on a high note!

NBA Season

In the first half, news filtered out that the Thunder-Jazz game had been delayed just prior to tip-off, and that the teams were waiting in their respective locker rooms. Early in the third quarter, we learned that the game had been postponed, and that the NBA was suspending the season indefinitely after this night's slate of games. This was due to Rudy Gobert's contracting the novel coronavirus. 

Carlisle and Rick both spoke to the issue after the game. The players have been advised to stay in town, and to be very vigilant about protecting themselves, being discouraged from such behaviors as eating out or having out-of-town visitors. Cuban said that they are allowed to practice and rehab, and that they are not on vacation. More information is expected in the next few days. 

I had trouble concentrating on the game after I heard the news, just trying to take it all in. It's a gut punch, but not entirely unexpected. Hope everyone on the forum stays safe and healthy during this trying situation. 

Next. Who knows? 

Go Mavs! 
Like Reply
1. Bobanator dominated this game...much respect for him not complaining all season about his role and being ready when his name was called...

2. It shows how much Barea means to this team and locker room when he came out to speak post game...he hasn't complained about the younger players getting more minutes than him and has been a mentor also to them...much respect for him putting the team first and being ready when needed...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I hope Dallas learned something from this, crunch time scoring can be successful with focus on high percentage possessions.  The three is useful but it failed Denver down the stretch while Dallas just kept feeding the Bobanator machine.  

KP should mimic some of Boban's post scoring when needed.  

I am not saying abandon the three, just be open to all forms of scoring in the 4th.  Clearly the Mavs do it well the first three quarters.

Oh, and Maxi stymied the Millsap rampage once he was given the task to stop him.  Key move in the game imo.
Like Reply
Lee (20 min) had 7 points, and was stalwart defensively. Rick commended him after the game, saying he "loves" Lee, and that Lee has established himself as a "hell of an NBA player," a leader in the locker room, a mentor to the younger players, and a highly respected teammate. He has earned the right to play on this team, in Carlisle's eyes.

Lee had a decent game , this quote should get him fired if Lee was waived he would not be signed by a single NBA team, RC infatuation with vets is so frustrating in long run of this team.
Like Reply
You have to wonder why Bobi wasn't used this way all year? I guess we'll never know bc the league just shut down indefinitely. Something to think ab if it doesn't resume at some point. You have two good interior defenders in Jokic & Milsap back there but Bobi was still getting any shot he wanted. Mavs wore out PnR to death and Nuggets had no answer for it. Bobi looks like a man among boys out there. It just makes me wonder if Rick should have been playing him more this whole time. I feel like Rick feels like Bobi being as slow as he is will get exposed by the other team and run him off the floor. But even with the Nuggets getting open outside looks Mavs could not be stopped on the other end. Love me some Bobi, hope to see more if/when the league ever resumes play again.
Like Reply
(03-12-2020, 10:10 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: You have to wonder why Bobi wasn't used this way all year? I guess we'll never know bc the league just shut down indefinitely. Something to think ab if it doesn't resume at some point. You have two good interior defenders in Jokic & Milsap back there but Bobi was still getting any shot he wanted. Mavs wore out PnR to death and Nuggets had no answer for it. Bobi looks like a man among boys out there. It just makes me wonder if Rick should have been playing him more this whole time. I feel like Rick feels like Bobi being as slow as he is will get exposed by the other team and run him off the floor. But even with the Nuggets getting open outside looks Mavs could not be stopped on the other end. Love me some Bobi, hope to see more if/when the league ever resumes play again.
I'm sorry, but I think we unfortunately DO know, because Rick is a pretty stubborn man with regard to his philosophy.  Even with last night's success staring him in the face, I just don't see him changing much.
Like Reply
(03-12-2020, 11:12 AM)mtrot Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 10:10 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: You have to wonder why Bobi wasn't used this way all year? I guess we'll never know bc the league just shut down indefinitely. Something to think ab if it doesn't resume at some point. You have two good interior defenders in Jokic & Milsap back there but Bobi was still getting any shot he wanted. Mavs wore out PnR to death and Nuggets had no answer for it. Bobi looks like a man among boys out there. It just makes me wonder if Rick should have been playing him more this whole time. I feel like Rick feels like Bobi being as slow as he is will get exposed by the other team and run him off the floor. But even with the Nuggets getting open outside looks Mavs could not be stopped on the other end. Love me some Bobi, hope to see more if/when the league ever resumes play again.
I'm sorry, but I think we unfortunately DO know, because Rick is a pretty stubborn man with regard to his philosophy.  Even with last night's success staring him in the face, I just don't see him changing much.

It´s not like Boban was used more by previous coaches.

2020 37 games 9 minutes (so far)

2019 58 games 12 minutes
2018 38 games 9 minutes
2017 35 games 8 minutes
2016 54 games 9 minutes

Last night was a success. The game against the Spurs wasn´t. Overall I think that a few more minutes for Boban would probably benefit the team but it´s difficult to balance the lineups. He shouldn´t be on the floor with Jackson and JJB. Might be an option to sub out Luka early and play him with the bench unit. Spam Luka/Boban pick and roll and surround both with max amount of defense and shooting.
Like Reply
I don't get the "why doesn't Boban...stuff". All the same Boban items that we've already talked about for months apply.

Boban is situationally awesome, but...
  • His body isn't made for big minutes
  • This season has been about the younger players with JJB and Bobi as the vets doing mentoring and playing when needed
  • It's possible that our vets might play more if there are playoffs and that the regular season was meant to be minutes for the younger folks
  • Bobi is better against certain competition. He's not great on defense against smaller lineups. He can be game planned for by making him do certain things on defense. 
  • Big Denver is kind of a perfect team for him to play against. (I'm not saying he can't  be awesome against other teams, but I don't think he can be a full time starter with full time starter minutes)
I'm a Boban fan, was giddy watching him dominate a top 10 player in the league, hope he gets more chances (maybe even in a playoff series against Denver).
Like Reply
The dilemma with Boban is not the defense because our defense is not special anyway even without him. There are quite a few games where we have allowed the other team to shoot a very high percentage with Boban not even playing much. Plus we tend to look overmatched when going against the better teams and size/rebounding is an issue. So certainly Boban can help.

The dilemma is the minutes. He is not someone who can get 10-12 mins and be effective. He needs a lot more minutes to be effective. He is a big guy who might wear out teams over the course of a game even if in short stretches the other team goes on a shooting spree from outside. Similar to a bruising big in football. However, not sure if he has the fitness/stamina to log that type of mins over a lot of games.
Like Reply
(03-12-2020, 01:39 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't get the "why doesn't Boban...stuff". All the same Boban items that we've already talked about for months apply.

Boban is situationally awesome, but...
  • His body isn't made for big minutes
  • This season has been about the younger players with JJB and Bobi as the vets doing mentoring and playing when needed
  • It's possible that our vets might play more if there are playoffs and that the regular season was meant to be minutes for the younger folks
  • Bobi is better against certain competition. He's not great on defense against smaller lineups. He can be game planned for by making him do certain things on defense. 
  • Big Denver is kind of a perfect team for him to play against. (I'm not saying he can't  be awesome against other teams, but I don't think he can be a full time starter with full time starter minutes)
I'm a Boban fan, was giddy watching him dominate a top 10 player in the league, hope he gets more chances (maybe even in a playoff series against Denver).

I agree that his size and build should be taken into consideration with his minute usage and wear and tear.
That doesn't mean he can't play a lot more minutes and get much more consistent usage than he's been getting to this point in this season and in his career for that matter.
Giants like Yao Ming and even the great Shaquille O'Neal usually wear out those bodies, knees, feet etc. anyway due to the sheer need to push that massive frame up and down the floor fast and move around, jump around in basketball. 

In this game Boban logged 31 minutes and was able to give you 31 points, along with 17 rebounds in a win over a top NBA team going against a young Allstar center.    The point is he didn't have to log 40+ minutes but he can clearly do more than the tiny dip your toe in the water brief appearances he's been getting. 

He doesn't have to do full time starter minutes to have a huge impact on helping Dallas stop runs and close out games with W's. 

I think the argument about Bobi's usage on previous teams is an interesting one, worth a longer discussion. 

Since we're on a long basketball hiatus it appears Confused I guess I'll offer a longer commentary. Shy 
Boban's NBA career is what 5 years and 5 teams?  He's an extremely unusual player case, really a Unicorn in his own right.  I've followed him with some interest and more so the last couple of years. 

Pop was developing him well as basically an older NBA rookie but it was so well that he was able to demand a salary too big to keep him, especially on a team with Tim Duncan. 
Boban showed an ability to give elite performances in short minutes under Pop right out the gate in the NBA. 
Quote:Marjanović provided a spark off the bench with Tim Duncan out injured and LaMarcus Aldridge limited to six points. Marjanović scored 17 points on 7-of-7 shooting in just 14 minutes to help the Spurs defeat the Timberwolves 101–95 and extend their franchise-record home winning streak to 27 games (dating to 2014–15 season).[32] Two days later, in a win over the Phoenix Suns, he became the first player in Spurs franchise history to record 12 rebounds in 15 minutes or less
Marjanović recorded a career-high 22 points and 12 rebounds in a 96–91 win over the Dallas Mavericks.

Pop himself told Boban to go take the bigger money payday in Detroit, Spurs loved him but couldn't match with their roster.

In Detroit he again ends up behind another of the top centers in the league so his minutes were again limited although coach Stan loved him.  When he did get to play though … 
Quote:with Andre Drummond in foul trouble and Aron Baynes out injured, coach Stan Van Gundy had to give Marjanović extended minutes.[42] On April 7, 2017, he led the Pistons with a career-high 27 points and 12 rebounds off the bench in a 114–109 win over the Houston Rockets.

That's been the story of his few years in the NBA.  He came in to the league at a time when the NBA style of play changed drastically. 
The position of center especially has been majorly altered and NBA coaches are still figuring out how to use the rare inside force at the 5 position.  Even Shaq's usage would have to be 'figured out' if he played in todays NBA. 

Boban imo should have played more in Philadelphia last season, especially in the playoffs.  He had some very good showings helping them behind Allstar Joel Embiid and was big factor in helping them win their series against the Nets. 

Against Toronto, Brett Brown was risk-averse to use Mavsluvr's term in the series against Toronto and was gun shy to use him, after their Brilliant coach scared Brown by putting Bobi into a lot of PnR's one game.  Brown gave up on him quickly in that series even though big slow but smart Marc Gasol gave Joel Embiid major problems.  

Long story shorter now, in Dallas the situation is different again.  Mavs don't have a Duncan/Aldridge/Drummond/Embiid type big.  They have a Porzingis.  Not a big beefy guy that excels inside at the rim, but a different type of Unicorn.  Mavs can really use that role filled. 

Then the Mavs also have the brilliant Luka and other really good passing guards to play off of Boban. 
Doncic rolling to rim with Boban off the roll is an amazing play to watch.  Luka is Brilliant and puts the defense in major bind the way he forces he defense to give up something good almost every time when he has Bobi as an option. 
Dallas situation could be an ideal fit for Bobi to shine in significant stretches. 

Now its just up to Carlisle (and the coronavirus Undecided ) how the story continues.
Like Reply
Next question, is how can Mavs figure out how to play opposite of Denver in the playoffs?
Like Reply
Great comment by someone that Boban dominating that Nugz frontline was like some dad playing with his kids in the driveway. That’s exactly what it was. Just deep position and layup/dunk.

The amazing thing is that Jokic is a beast because no one on our roster can match up to his size. Boban made him look normal sized.
Like Reply
A few other thoughts:

## I started watching the game in a foul mood -- brought on by the accumulation of angst about the past ATL, CHI, Spurts fiascos, and knowing that those 3 games should have us in the 4th (maybe 5th) position. Also discouraged by the fact that Zinger, Curry & Finney-Smith were missing against DEN. But, about mid-first quarter the plucky Mavs started hitting some shots .... and a fun game was on! Mostly, we didn't play very good defense, until the last qtr..... but our offense was good enough to survive....and we avoided the 3rd straight loss!

## Bobi was fabulous! He dominated the boards, and just kept putting back the lay-ups. Also did a good job on Joker. I really felt bad for Bobi after the game. After a career game, no TV interview; no video of his game on any of the TV recaps. (The League suspension of the season upstaged all other news).

## DEN has regressed since we played (and lost) them in early Jan. They shot well and defended very well in Jan. They also played "bully-ball" in that game and we had no answer for Joker and the other front line players. Not so much last night.
Like Reply
I would like to see Bobi more against the Lakers. They really haven't had any disadvantage down low all year and the combo of KP and Bobi's length might cause some problems.

Hey, a man can dream...'cause that's ALL we can do right now.
Like Reply