Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 109, Pacers 112
Mavs Lose Another Clutch Game

The Mavericks put up a good rally against a Pacers team they had trailed for most of the game, but the comeback sputtered in the last few minutes. 

Game Story

The Mavs were missing five key players -- DFS (hip flexor), Seth (ankle), MKG (illness), along with long-term injured players Brunson and Powell. But Hardaway returned from his illness, and KP, who was listed as questionable with an ankle problem, suited up. The starting lineup was Luka/THJ/Lee/KP/Maxi -- the 27th starting unit of the season. 

The Mavs got behind early, but managed to recover to an extent on the basis of 12 points from Luka, who was inserted back into the lineup late in the first quarter after being called for his second foul at 7:39. The home team Mavericks trailed 26-31 after one. The second period featured putrid play from both teams. The Pacers got out to a 9-point lead, but the Mavs battled back, going into halftime trailing 52-55. They had scored 26 points in the second, with their opponents putting up 24. Woof.

Dallas briefly tied the game a couple of times in the third, behind 16 points from Luka. However, they never could get over the hump, in terms of grabbing a lead. They went into the fourth down 84-86. 

The bench gave the Mavs a small lead early in the fourth, and the team trailed for the last time (until the last minute of play) at the 7:50 mark. Alas, the last five minutes loomed. At 4:40, a Hardaway layup would be the Mavericks' last made basket. At 3:14, a pair of split free throws by Luka gave our men a quarter-high lead of 5 points. Then --

3:04 Sabonis cutting layup over KP. Mavs up 3.
2:45 Luka jacks a contested three and misses, when THJ is open to his left. 
2:33 Oladipo hits a midrange pull up. Mavs up 1.
2:11 Tim gets stuck in traffic at the end of the shot clock and heaves a cross-court pass to Maxi in the corner. Maxi misses the 3PTA. Tim grabs the offensive board, drives into a crowd, and has his shot blocked. Harper chides him for not passing out and resetting. The Mavs get the offensive rebound. They swing it around the court, and Tim takes and misses a corner three. Luka has been screaming for the ball. 
1:45 Oladipo loses his dribble to a Hardaway steal, but Luka loses the ball on the other end. It goes out of bounds off Indiana, and Mavs get another play. KP is stuck after picking up his dribble in the corner, and flings an overhit pass to Maxi, throwing it away. 
1:08 KP blocks an attempted reverse by Oladipo. 
0:49 Luka gets a screen from THJ, and is doubled coming off the screen. He passes to THJ, who is swarmed. THJ drives and kicks to KP in the corner. KP has Maxi to his left, and Luka farther over, but takes a side step and shoots over Turner, who blocks the shot. Luka is beyond aggravated.  
0:38 After Luka takes the foul to give, Oladipo hits another midrange pull up over KP. Mavs down 1. Mavs take a time out.
0:21 Luka passes to Lee in the corner, rather than taking a contested shot in the paint. Lee misses a three. Oladipo collides with Luka under the basket, hitting him in the mouth, but nothing is called. 
0:14 Lee intentionally fouls Oladipo, who hits both free throws. Mavs down three. Mavs take their last time out.
0:07 Luka gets a contested corner three, and misses. He grabs the offensive board, and backs out for another three, but misses it, as well. Game over. 

In the last 4:39, the Mavs missed ten FGAs and had two turnovers (Luka turnover scored as blocked shot). Their only score was one free throw. The Pacers closed the game on an 8-0 run, scoring on essentially the same play for several possessions. Poor defense. Poor decision-making. Miscommunication. They were right there. Frustrating. 

Analytics

Statistically, the match came down to poor shooting. It was a clash of old-school Eastern Conference style basketball against the Mavs' modern 3-point oriented game. Dallas put up 20 more 3PTAs than the Pacers, but were a miserable 33%, with all the starters not named Tim going 5-26 from deep. Yikes. Going back to my pet peeve, the Mavericks missed 8 free throws, plenty more than enough to have won the game. Grrr. Overall, our boys were +18 on points from threes, +5 on made free throws, and -26 on shots from twos, reflecting a win for the grinders. The Pacers hurt the Mavs with 60 points in the paint and 25 fast-break points. 

Point differentials for the quarters were -5, +2, +1, -1, giving Rick another excuse to point out the hazards of going down in the first quarter. 

Players

Hardaway (39 min) had a splendid game, for the most part, with 30 points on 21 shots, including 6-11 from deep. It's too bad it was wasted in a loss. This player has really come on this season, and has become a true third option. I love watching him play. 

Porzingis (38 min) put up a stinker. He had 9 points and 8 rebounds, shooting 3-17 from the field, and taking only 4 shots in the second half. Adding insult to injury, he also committed 4 turnovers. The Pacers game plan looked to defend Luka with one player, and focus on KP. Sabonis and Turner played him very physically, and managed to throw him off. Even at that, he got a number of open shots, and just missed them. 

I'm not sure if his ankle affected him, as he wouldn't use it as an excuse, even if it did. He was embarrassed after the game, and thought if he could have played just a little better, the result would have been different. Carlisle said that any player can and will have an off night occasionally, and the team can't blame a loss on one player, which of course is right. Hope he has it out of his system. 

Luka (36 min) had a 36-10-8 line, so I hesitate to criticize. His hand was still braced, but didn't seem to be visibly bothering him as much, and he said that it was getting better. Notwithstanding that, he was 4-13 from long range, missed 4 free throws, and made some questionable decisions down the stretch. He also may have let the refs get into his head. They were pretty terrible, but he spent much of the game arguing with them, and I wonder if it took some of his attention away from the moment. The Mavs wouldn't have been in the game without him, and I acknowledge that, but still think he may have some room to grow as far as game management goes. It would be weird if he didn't, as an NBA sophomore. 

Luka complained of being hit in the face three times during the game with no response from the refs. At one point, he was even bleeding from the mouth, but in his words, the refs "didn't care." It didn't seem to me that the refs were biased, just that they were bad, especially Tyler Ford. I guess it's pointless to rag on the refs, but still. . . . 

Maxi (34 min) was invisible offensively, scoring 2 points and taking only 4 shots. He had 5 rebounds, and he and KP made an effort to protect the rim, but the Pacers were just too much for them. 

Lee (31 min) started again, and didn't make a huge impression. He had 7 points on 2-9 shooting, and contributed a couple of steals. At least he was another sizable body. 

Wright (23 min) was the sixth man, and put 7 points on the board. Nothing terrible, but not a particularly good night, either. 

Jackson (19 min) was the third-leading scorer with 11 points, and also recorded 5 assists, a steal, and a block. He was one of the team's bright spots, and he led the team in +/-, at +7. Great to see him doing well in the last couple of games!

WCS (10 min) had 5 points and 3 rebounds off the bench, and did a pretty decent job in short minutes. 

Boban (6 minutes) got a few minutes in the first half. The Pacers managed to stifle even the scoring machine offensively, but Bobi did register 5 boards in his time on the court. The refs did him no favors, calling him for a foul when his gather resulted in an elbow in his opponent's face, even though he had been hit in the back on the play. 

Barea (4 min) had an assist in a cameo appearance. 

Pacers. This Indiana team is looking quite good. I don't tend to follow the East as much, and I was a little surprised to see them looking so organized. Sabonis was amazing, and torched our team with 20 points and 17 rebounds. He was instrumental in shutting down KP. Warren had 16 points and 8 boards, but fouled out when Luka drew three fouls on him in a period of about twelve seconds. Turner impressed with 16 points and 13 rebounds, and some very effective defense in the paint. Oladipo had 16 points and 7 assists, and scored his team's last 6 points. Holiday and McConnell performed well off the bench. 

This squad was relentless, and kept at it until the Mavs finally buckled. They could make some noise in the postseason. 

Remarks

Rick described the contest as a tough loss. He said the Mavs struggled to get good shots down the stretch, missed the ones they did get, and made a lot of little mistakes in execution. He took responsibility for the loss, saying that they should have played better, and it is his job to have them playing better. He had hoped that DFS would be ready, and he acknowledged that the absences made things a lot tougher, but said the roster is deep enough that they should have been able to pull it out. 

Sometimes, I get a laugh out of Kirk's rants after bad losses on his MMB After Dark podcast. He thinks KP reverted to his old bad habits of dribbling to nowhere, seeking out midrange shots, attempting fancy one-handed shots instead of taking solid attempts, and making terrible decisions in the clutch. Luka missed free throws, griped to the refs most of the game, and was poor defensively. He is frustrated that the Mavs keep losing games the very same way, making mistakes that they shouldn't be making at this point in the season. He thinks Carlisle, KP, and Luka should all be embarrassed after this match. I am not saying he's wrong, I just occasionally find myself a little tickled by the unbridled knee-jerking. Sort of matches my feelings after a game like this, even though I know I should be less emotional.   

I ended up not being that disappointed with the loss, primarily because, even when the Mavs got a lead, I never had the sense that they were playing in a winning fashion. They just didn't seem on much of a string, and they were really impacted by KP's subpar game. I suspect the ankle may have been more of a factor than they were willing to let on. But the Mavs just didn't have it. They made unusual mistakes -- giving up a shot clock violation when Luka was stuck in the paint, letting a defensive rebound fall to the floor and be stolen by a Pacer, and such. It was probably a minor miracle that they were still in it until the end. 

I guess the bright side is that this was a close loss against a quality team, and they can learn something for the playoffs from it. Hopefully, someday, the Mavs can get something close to a full healthy roster on the floor again. 

Next. The Mavericks face the Spurs in San Antonio on Tuesday. I hope that some or all of DFS, Seth, and MKG will be available. Doe Doe and Seth were sorely missed in this one. 

Keep the faith, MFFLs!
Like Reply
Thanks for the recap. As usual, a couple of remarks.

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka is beyond aggravated.

I think you are exaggerating a lot Smile I also can't see Luka complaining at all about that THJ 3 pointer.

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Sabonis and Turner played him very physically

They were MVP of this contest. They are both mobile enough to switch on guards and still not become a liability. Their defense was excellent. Because of their perimeter defense Indiana was able to just switch every PnR without any serious consequence.

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Barea (4 min) had an assist in a cameo appearance.

He was absolutely terrible, that's why the appearance was a cameo. Nothing on offense and total negative on defense. 

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Holiday and McConnell performed well off the bench.

They were the difference makers. Holiday hit 4 out of 5 three pointers (note - he is 42 % from deep and is a free agent in the summer). McConnell just had a field day. Mavs allowed way too easy baskets for him.

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The refs did him no favors

Refs were criminal on him. Missed at least two more than clear fouls on him (one on offense, one while grabbing the defensive rebound) while blowing offensive foul immediately when all he did was try to go up. Looks like he is too big to play. Offensive fouls like this on bigs are ridiculous. You just have to put a smaller guy head first against the big and he has no chance going up, because he might touch that head in the process.
Like Reply
I would love Turner on this team. What he can do on both sides of the floor is KP like. When they were touting him as potentially on the block before the trade deadline, I said he should be target no. 1. He's the guy you would want replacing Powell in an ideal world.
Like Reply
"The refs did him no favors, calling him for a foul when his gather resulted in an elbow in his opponent's face, even though he had been hit in the back on the play."

This NBA obsession with rewarding flopping and drawing fouls by crowding up in an offensive player's body has to stop.  If a big player like Boban can be called for a foul by merely bringing up his arms for a shot, then all a defender has to do to take him out of the equation is just get his body right up against the offensive big.  At that point, there is just about no option for the big to do anything without making contact with the defender.

As usual, great synopsis.  I thought either Boban or WCS should have been in the game in those last three minutes when the Mavs were unable to score because at least we could have gotten the ball to them inside and draw defenders, which should have left somebody with a better look, or possibly allow WCS or Boban to draw a foul and get to the line.
Like Reply
The Pacers game plan looked to defend Luka with one player, and focus on KP
—-

I know everyone including Luka has room to grow, but isn’t the above on RC? If the other team has to double one of your players, be it Luka or KP, you have won half the battle. Especially if it is an elite talent like Luka who is not doubled. Whenever we do it we seem to give up easy shots to the opposition. Where are the schemes to hurt the other team when they do this?
Like Reply
I think last game really showed why the worries about Lukas percentages are overblown. He went 4/14 from 3. Was forced to take a last second shot early in the game with a teammate passing it to him with less than 5s on the clock and missed both attempts with less than 10s to go in the 4th.
If he doesn´t take those shots the Mavs lose the possessions anyway.
Like Reply
Refs were horrible. Pacers did a great job on KP. KP does struggle with elite defensive players (of which there aren't a ton). I feel like had Curry played the game could have looked differently. DFS was out too and would have helped. I thought our defense still looked pretty good. This was a game the Mavs would have won had they had better outside shooting which they usually do at full strength. As good as the Pacers are, I don't think they could have kept up with outside shooting if Curry had knocked down 5 3's.
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 08:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: I know everyone including Luka has room to grow, but isn’t the above on RC?  If the other team has to double one of your players, be it Luka or KP, you have won half the battle. Especially if it is an elite talent like Luka who is not doubled. Whenever we do it we seem to give up easy shots to the opposition. Where are the schemes to hurt the other team when they do this?

Or perhaps Indiana played excellent defense. Other than that:
- Luka drove numerous times, beat his guard, passed the ball to open teammates, shots didn't go in
- KP tried playing one on one, but it just wasn't his night

Not really sure what to blame on RC here.

(03-09-2020, 08:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Whenever we do it we seem to give up easy shots to the opposition.

What I am noticing is that Mavs look incredibly bad at PnR defense most of the time. Either the shooter is completely open or center has an easy jam. One thing is certain - Sabonis screen is much stronger than any screen by Maxi or KP.
Like Reply
I honestly have a hard time calling most of KP’s “screens” a screen. It’s mostly him moving to the ball handler, the ball handler going too soon and KP slightly pushing the defender (mostly just touching him with his hand, not really even a push). Some of that is on the ball handler, but DP, after 2 years of practicing it, had the same issues and figured out how to get his body on the defender which disrupts him and the defensive scheme and temporarily (split second) takes him out.

I know the stat guys count this as a screen, it does mostly get the desired switch currently since no one has figured out they aren’t actually being stopped from guarding the ball handler. Wonder if this gets exposed in the playoffs when teams get the time to key in on it.
Like Reply
IMO, Indiana's strength is defense and they showed it on Sunday. So a tip of the hat to them.

That said, this was a game with weird rotations. Seth was out. DFS was out. They have no real confidence in the new guys, WKS and MKG. So the parts didn't look well connected.

When everyone is healthy, the bench provides as good of a boost as any in the league. When the injuries pile up and reserves have to play starter roles, then there isn't enough punch to stay consistent the whole game. Especially when a contributor is having an off night.

I'm also concerned about the beatings Luka is taking. It's like the other teams know they'll get a few free shots at him every game, so make it count. I mean, if it's bad enough he has x-rays of his jaw at halftime, then is that really basketball or MMA? Does Silver really want a player that's considered a key to the league's future getting thugged
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 09:48 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Does Silver really want a player that's considered a key to the league's future getting thugged
Zion's getting thugged?
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 09:48 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Does Silver really want a player that's considered a key to the league's future getting thugged

Luka got flagrant a couple of weeks ago for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2g7bXd31qk

So in what Universe is this not a flagrant then???

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1236848082928582656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1236848082928582656&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2879473-mavericks-luka-doncic-suffers-jaw-injury-vs-pacers-x-ray-results-negative

Not saying we lost because of refs, but they are just being ridiculous.
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 09:01 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-09-2020, 08:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: I know everyone including Luka has room to grow, but isn’t the above on RC?  If the other team has to double one of your players, be it Luka or KP, you have won half the battle. Especially if it is an elite talent like Luka who is not doubled. Whenever we do it we seem to give up easy shots to the opposition. Where are the schemes to hurt the other team when they do this?

Or perhaps Indiana played excellent defense. Other than that:
- Luka drove numerous times, beat his guard, passed the ball to open teammates, shots didn't go in
- KP tried playing one on one, but it just wasn't his night

Not really sure what to blame on RC here.

(03-09-2020, 08:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Whenever we do it we seem to give up easy shots to the opposition.

What I am noticing is that Mavs look incredibly bad at PnR defense most of the time. Either the shooter is completely open or center has an easy jam. One thing is certain - Sabonis screen is much stronger than any screen by Maxi or KP.
There screens were so effective that I was openly wondering if they were legal. I would have to watch more closely but against these physical teams, the games are much more impacted by the refs. If they allow everything by the screener and don't call excessively physical defense, it becomes so much tougher. I thought we fought very hard...especially Luka and THJ. But I don't think this team can play their best with this kind of a game. I was proud of them for fighting their way into position to win anyway, but we still have progress to make on winning these.

2-15 now when trailing in the  4th quarter. Come on Jet and Dirk, teach these guys how to win in the 4th quarter.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1236868083572264969
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 04:36 AM)omahen Wrote: .......

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Boban (6 minutes) got a few minutes in the first half. The Pacers managed to stifle even the scoring machine offensively, but Bobi did register 5 boards in his time on the court.

(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The refs did him no favors

Refs were criminal on him. Missed at least two more than clear fouls on him (one on offense, one while grabbing the defensive rebound) while blowing offensive foul immediately when all he did was try to go up. Looks like he is too big to play. Offensive fouls like this on bigs are ridiculous. You just have to put a smaller guy head first against the big and he has no chance going up, because he might touch that head in the process.

If the Coach doesn't give the player much of a featured role then he's a role player.  The refs don't give those guys the respect but yes in this case the refs were particularly bad the way they called the plays on Bobi.  

That said, we're talking about 6 minutes.  Six minutes!  Even that was not when the game was really on the line the Mavericks desperately needed just 2 or 3 buckets to preserve a lead and get the 'W'.   

Give the Pacers a lot of credit, Sabonis is an Allstar and they have a strong East coast style offense and defense to counter Carlisle's high powered shooters.   
No great offensive player is going to produce consistently in 6 minutes, especially when they're not even the focal point of your attack. 

Just posted about this in other recent games.  Mavs don't have the "Grind it out mode" they can switch to when they need to get counter physicality inside and get high percentage offense to hold on to leads. 
They have to have shooters hitting their shots or the offense can collapse a lead as quickly as they built the lead.  Bobi should have gotten more chances to help the team once they had a lead to protect.  We've said it before from other games.  KP has been great, is great, but his shot was off and that was clear.   He went 3 for 17.  What's the chances that Boban given lets say just 6 of those shots,  doesn't get some points on the board for Dallas? 

Can't you recognize that your shooters are off and make an offensive adjustment during the run? 

I think Coach C. like many coaches wants to win on defense but they haven't been as good at holding leads based on defense as they have at outscoring teams to they can't catch them.

Outscoring with perimeter players only works if shots keeps falling and defense only works if your defenders can stop all their scoring talent.  The top teams all have an ability to grind out a win.
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 02:11 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Lose Another Clutch Game

The Mavericks put up a good rally against a Pacers team they had trailed for most of the game, but the comeback sputtered in the last few minutes. 

Game Story

The Mavs were missing five key players -- DFS (hip flexor), Seth (ankle), MKG (illness), along with long-term injured players Brunson and Powell. But Hardaway returned from his illness, and KP, who was listed as questionable with an ankle problem, suited up. The starting lineup was Luka/THJ/Lee/KP/Maxi -- the 27th starting unit of the season. 

The Mavs got behind early, but managed to recover to an extent on the basis of 12 points from Luka, who was inserted back into the lineup late in the first quarter after being called for his second foul at 7:39. The home team Mavericks trailed 26-31 after one. The second period featured putrid play from both teams. The Pacers got out to a 9-point lead, but the Mavs battled back, going into halftime trailing 52-55. They had scored 26 points in the second, with their opponents putting up 24. Woof.

Dallas briefly tied the game a couple of times in the third, behind 16 points from Luka. However, they never could get over the hump, in terms of grabbing a lead. They went into the fourth down 84-86. 

The bench gave the Mavs a small lead early in the fourth, and the team trailed for the last time (until the last minute of play) at the 7:50 mark. Alas, the last five minutes loomed. At 4:40, a Hardaway layup would be the Mavericks' last made basket. At 3:14, a pair of split free throws by Luka gave our men a quarter-high lead of 5 points. Then --

3:04 Sabonis cutting layup over KP. Mavs up 3.
2:45 Luka jacks a contested three and misses, when THJ is open to his left. 
2:33 Oladipo hits a midrange pull up. Mavs up 1.
2:11 Tim gets stuck in traffic at the end of the shot clock and heaves a cross-court pass to Maxi in the corner. Maxi misses the 3PTA. Tim grabs the offensive board, drives into a crowd, and has his shot blocked. Harper chides him for not passing out and resetting. The Mavs get the offensive rebound. They swing it around the court, and Tim takes and misses a corner three. Luka has been screaming for the ball. 
1:45 Oladipo loses his dribble to a Hardaway steal, but Luka loses the ball on the other end. It goes out of bounds off Indiana, and Mavs get another play. KP is stuck after picking up his dribble in the corner, and flings an overhit pass to Maxi, throwing it away. 
1:08 KP blocks an attempted reverse by Oladipo. 
0:49 Luka gets a screen from THJ, and is doubled coming off the screen. He passes to THJ, who is swarmed. THJ drives and kicks to KP in the corner. KP has Maxi to his left, and Luka farther over, but takes a side step and shoots over Turner, who blocks the shot. Luka is beyond aggravated.  
0:38 After Luka takes the foul to give, Oladipo hits another midrange pull up over KP. Mavs down 1. Mavs take a time out.
0:21 Luka passes to Lee in the corner, rather than taking a contested shot in the paint. Lee misses a three. Oladipo collides with Luka under the basket, hitting him in the mouth, but nothing is called. 
0:14 Lee intentionally fouls Oladipo, who hits both free throws. Mavs down three. Mavs take their last time out.
0:07 Luka gets a contested corner three, and misses. He grabs the offensive board, and backs out for another three, but misses it, as well. Game over. 

In the last 4:39, the Mavs missed ten FGAs and had two turnovers (Luka turnover scored as blocked shot). Their only score was one free throw. The Pacers closed the game on an 8-0 run, scoring on essentially the same play for several possessions. Poor defense. Poor decision-making. Miscommunication. They were right there. Frustrating. 

Analytics

Statistically, the match came down to poor shooting. It was a clash of old-school Eastern Conference style basketball against the Mavs' modern 3-point oriented game. Dallas put up 20 more 3PTAs than the Pacers, but were a miserable 33%, with all the starters not named Tim going 5-26 from deep. Yikes. Going back to my pet peeve, the Mavericks missed 8 free throws, plenty more than enough to have won the game. Grrr. Overall, our boys were +18 on points from threes, +5 on made free throws, and -26 on shots from twos, reflecting a win for the grinders. The Pacers hurt the Mavs with 60 points in the paint and 25 fast-break points. 

Point differentials for the quarters were -5, +2, +1, -1, giving Rick another excuse to point out the hazards of going down in the first quarter. 

Players

Hardaway (39 min) had a splendid game, for the most part, with 30 points on 21 shots, including 6-11 from deep. It's too bad it was wasted in a loss. This player has really come on this season, and has become a true third option. I love watching him play. 

Porzingis (38 min) put up a stinker. He had 9 points and 8 rebounds, shooting 3-17 from the field, and taking only 4 shots in the second half. Adding insult to injury, he also committed 4 turnovers. The Pacers game plan looked to defend Luka with one player, and focus on KP. Sabonis and Turner played him very physically, and managed to throw him off. Even at that, he got a number of open shots, and just missed them. 

I'm not sure if his ankle affected him, as he wouldn't use it as an excuse, even if it did. He was embarrassed after the game, and thought if he could have played just a little better, the result would have been different. Carlisle said that any player can and will have an off night occasionally, and the team can't blame a loss on one player, which of course is right. Hope he has it out of his system. 

Luka (36 min) had a 36-10-8 line, so I hesitate to criticize. His hand was still braced, but didn't seem to be visibly bothering him as much, and he said that it was getting better. Notwithstanding that, he was 4-13 from long range, missed 4 free throws, and made some questionable decisions down the stretch. He also may have let the refs get into his head. They were pretty terrible, but he spent much of the game arguing with them, and I wonder if it took some of his attention away from the moment. The Mavs wouldn't have been in the game without him, and I acknowledge that, but still think he may have some room to grow as far as game management goes. It would be weird if he didn't, as an NBA sophomore. 

Luka complained of being hit in the face three times during the game with no response from the refs. At one point, he was even bleeding from the mouth, but in his words, the refs "didn't care." It didn't seem to me that the refs were biased, just that they were bad, especially Tyler Ford. I guess it's pointless to rag on the refs, but still. . . . 

Maxi (34 min) was invisible offensively, scoring 2 points and taking only 4 shots. He had 5 rebounds, and he and KP made an effort to protect the rim, but the Pacers were just too much for them. 

Lee (31 min) started again, and didn't make a huge impression. He had 7 points on 2-9 shooting, and contributed a couple of steals. At least he was another sizable body. 

Wright (23 min) was the sixth man, and put 7 points on the board. Nothing terrible, but not a particularly good night, either. 

Jackson (19 min) was the third-leading scorer with 11 points, and also recorded 5 assists, a steal, and a block. He was one of the team's bright spots, and he led the team in +/-, at +7. Great to see him doing well in the last couple of games!

WCS (10 min) had 5 points and 3 rebounds off the bench, and did a pretty decent job in short minutes. 

Boban (6 minutes) got a few minutes in the first half. The Pacers managed to stifle even the scoring machine offensively, but Bobi did register 5 boards in his time on the court. The refs did him no favors, calling him for a foul when his gather resulted in an elbow in his opponent's face, even though he had been hit in the back on the play. 

Barea (4 min) had an assist in a cameo appearance. 

Pacers. This Indiana team is looking quite good. I don't tend to follow the East as much, and I was a little surprised to see them looking so organized. Sabonis was amazing, and torched our team with 20 points and 17 rebounds. He was instrumental in shutting down KP. Warren had 16 points and 8 boards, but fouled out when Luka drew three fouls on him in a period of about twelve seconds. Turner impressed with 16 points and 13 rebounds, and some very effective defense in the paint. Oladipo had 16 points and 7 assists, and scored his team's last 6 points. Holiday and McConnell performed well off the bench. 

This squad was relentless, and kept at it until the Mavs finally buckled. They could make some noise in the postseason. 

Remarks

Rick described the contest as a tough loss. He said the Mavs struggled to get good shots down the stretch, missed the ones they did get, and made a lot of little mistakes in execution. He took responsibility for the loss, saying that they should have played better, and it is his job to have them playing better. He had hoped that DFS would be ready, and he acknowledged that the absences made things a lot tougher, but said the roster is deep enough that they should have been able to pull it out. 

Sometimes, I get a laugh out of Kirk's rants after bad losses on his MMB After Dark podcast. He thinks KP reverted to his old bad habits of dribbling to nowhere, seeking out midrange shots, attempting fancy one-handed shots instead of taking solid attempts, and making terrible decisions in the clutch. Luka missed free throws, griped to the refs most of the game, and was poor defensively. He is frustrated that the Mavs keep losing games the very same way, making mistakes that they shouldn't be making at this point in the season. He thinks Carlisle, KP, and Luka should all be embarrassed after this match. I am not saying he's wrong, I just occasionally find myself a little tickled by the unbridled knee-jerking. Sort of matches my feelings after a game like this, even though I know I should be less emotional.   

I ended up not being that disappointed with the loss, primarily because, even when the Mavs got a lead, I never had the sense that they were playing in a winning fashion. They just didn't seem on much of a string, and they were really impacted by KP's subpar game. I suspect the ankle may have been more of a factor than they were willing to let on. But the Mavs just didn't have it. They made unusual mistakes -- giving up a shot clock violation when Luka was stuck in the paint, letting a defensive rebound fall to the floor and be stolen by a Pacer, and such. It was probably a minor miracle that they were still in it until the end. 

I guess the bright side is that this was a close loss against a quality team, and they can learn something for the playoffs from it. Hopefully, someday, the Mavs can get something close to a full healthy roster on the floor again. 

Next. The Mavericks face the Spurs in San Antonio on Tuesday. I hope that some or all of DFS, Seth, and MKG will be available. Doe Doe and Seth were sorely missed in this one. 

Keep the faith, MFFLs!

I don’t care who you are or what team you follow - this is absolutely the best breakdowns in basketball.  I didn’t keep up with game but after reading I feel like I was in attendance.  

I’d rather read your post game than paid writers.  

Thanks for doing these all year long you are really good at it.  Wish my primary team had someone so well written!

Your work is appreciated!!
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 11:52 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1236868083572264969

Luka IS the Mavericks physical grind-out-a-bucket player right now.  Other teams know that.  Without a strong inside scoring mode its going to mean Luka going to the hoop to get a high % shot and that's going to mean getting hit, pushed, tripped etc. more often than I think most of want to see.   
The big men in the game protect the wings and guards by pulling some of that pounding inside away from them. 

With Dallas, they don't play Bigs in that role.  Bigs are more finesse players in Carlisle offense.  There is no McGee and Howard to protect and cover for Lebron and AD or guys like Bogut, David West, Looney, Ezeli etc. to take some of the physical grind off of the Curry's and Klay's.   

Dwight Powell was probably the closest thing to a guy like that on the roster that Rick Carlisle also trusts enough to really play minutes.  

WCS maybe could be that guy but right now he seems trusted only a shade more than Boban who barely can get minutes.   
So there's not much inside big protection for Luka or KP for that matter who is big but still slight of frame. 
Unfortunately that means Luka going to take a lot of physical pounding and KP is going to get pushed around quite a bit more.  Dodgy
Like Reply
NBA L2M report says that Oladipo's takedown of Luka was a correct no-call. 

Smh.
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 04:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: NBA L2M report says that Oladipo's takedown of Luka was a correct no-call. 

Smh.
https://media.giphy.com/media/K0Hy2NwI8IXZK/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
L2M report also says Myles Turner should have been called for a foul when Luka lost the ball. Turner hit his wrist.
Like Reply