Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 121, Grizzlies 96
Undermanned Mavs Extinguish Grizzlies

The Mavericks impressed their home fans with a decisive victory over Memphis, despite missing 4 1/2 players. Great win in this important stretch!

Game Story

The injury whack-a-mole continued apace, as Barea returned to the lineup, but Hardaway (illness) and Doe Doe (hip flexor) went out. Powell and Brunson continued on the long-term disabled list. Rick experimented with a starting lineup of Luka/Curry/Lee/KP/Maxi.

This one was all Mavs. Point differentials by quarter were +5, +7, +18, -5. If anything, the score line might flatter the Grizz. It was a demolition job, with lots of fireworks from the home team. 

Analytics

The Mavs got 11 more shots up than the Grizzlies, and had a whopping 17 more 3-point attempts. Points from two/three/foul line were 54/54/13 for the Mavs, and 60/27/9 for Memphis. Dallas took advantage of 19 Grizz turnovers to the tune of 24 points, and shot respectably from range (18-47). On the defensive end, the home team boasted 11 steals and 9 blocks. 

Players

Jackson (32 min) was the surprising leader of the team in minutes played, and had a good game! He contributed 10 points (4-8), 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and a block, and led the bench in +/-, at +29. Woah!! Justin has, tbh, not looked that great this season, and it was serendipitous to get to watch him play in such an effective manner. With Curry moving to the starting lineup, Jackson took the sixth-man role, and performed exquisitely. I think this match was a boost to the player's spirits, as well. After hitting a long three, he wore a grin as wide as his face. 

Carlisle thought Jackson's performance was great, and he praised his young reserve for seizing the opportunity after not playing much lately. He particularly commended Justin's big block on Brooks, and generally thought he was excellent on both ends of the court. I love it when a seemingly unlikely guy steps up!

Luka (30 min) put up a line of 21-4-6, and had two steals. His hand was still visibly bothering him, and he hurt it again when he fell backward and used his hands to brace his fall. It was affecting his shot, as he was 7-20 from the field, 2-8 from deep, and 5-8 from the line. There were three Mavs in negative territory, and Luka was uncharacteristically one of them, at -6. He was still entertaining, but clearly not 100%. 

Luka played into the fourth quarter, although the Mavericks had a 20+ point lead. I was holding my breath, having a nervous feeling that the team was tempting fate. Fortunately, things worked out. I assume the Mavs know what they're doing, playing Luka with an injury that is bothering him when the game has been decided as a practical matter. It seems like it would delay the recovery to be constantly re-injuring it, but I defer to the team's excellent medical staff on such matters. Anyway, it was great to see the team blow out an opponent, despite Luka having a bit of an off night, by his own stellar standards. He still did some great things, and Rick loyally called his game "terrific."

Maxi (30 min) did well in a starting role. I really like the Maxi-KP combo defensively. He was 9-4-2, with 2 blocks, but his impact isn't primarily measured by the box score. 

Wright (29 min) had a great game off the bench. He had an impressive line, with 11 points (4-6 FGA), 8 boards, 5 dimes, and 3 steals. He is another guy who has been, let's say inconsistent, this season, and he really stepped up when Curry went out. Good stuff. 

Lee (29 min) got a starting berth, and impressed with 13 points (5-6 FGA), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He also did a great defensive job on Morant and Brooks. Looked like a real, honest-to-goodness starting player! Rick gushed over the "tremendous" game Lee had, singling out two late-clock threes in the fourth quarter to keep the game in hand when the Grizz were looking like making a run. Courtney was smiling after the game, saying he had gotten a kick out of being an "old guy" guarding a candidate for rookie of the year. Lee fits well into the schemes -- one wonders if he will have a role in the postseason. 

Kristaps (29 min) put on an absolute CLINIC in this one. He had 26 points (9-19 FGA), 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and 4 blocks. And he was even more dominant than his line would suggest, with the team an amazing +38 when he was on the court. OMG. He scored from everywhere on the floor, hitting threes, posting up, cutting, rolling, doing everything there is to do. No one could guard him, and Memphis had to settle for looking terrified any time he got the ball. Not only that, but he was crushing it on the defensive end, as well.  

Rick waxed enthusiastic over his star's "terrific" play, talking about his productivity, rim protection, rebounding, diving to the floor, making smart plays, and playing every minute in a winning way. What a fierce competitor! Considering KP's slow start to the season, seeing him play with this level of outstanding skill and superlative BBIQ is truly a thrill. Where should he be criticized? I got nothing. 

MKG (15 min) got a substantial runout in this game. Sigh. I don't like to be critical in a win, but it's not hard to see how he's not getting much in the way of playing time. He missed all three of his shots, and had two bad turnovers -- a ghastly pass way over his intended recipient's head, and a sloppy deflected pass stolen by Jones. I know he is supposed to be a great defender, and maybe so -- the team didn't lose points during his minutes. But he just looks like he doesn't know what he is supposed to do out there.  I don't see him competing with DFS for the starting job. Rick commented that he is still working very hard to get in shape, so maybe he can work his way out of it.  

Curry (15 min) had 15 points on 7-9 FGAs. Er, that would be in the first half. Toward the end of the second quarter, he fell and injured his ankle, heading for the locker room without passing go. He initially felt like he could return to the game, but had to bow out when he tried to warm up. It was a downer to see him leave, as he has been a rock for the team of late. Get well, Seth!

Barea (15 min) looked like he might have come back a game too early. He was 1-7 from the field, and had only three assists. More than that, he just didn't look right. Maybe he could use a little more recovery time. When he came in off the bench, the fan fave drew a warm ovation from the crowd. 

WCS (11 min) was 4-4-3, with a block. His time on the court was unremarkable, and he anchored the squad at -7. I suspect he can play better, but it will likely take a little time. 

Boban (4 min) got a few garbage-time minutes, and took the opportunity to score 9 points. I love watching this guy play, lol. He had two buckets where he calmly made a motion like he was putting a book up on a shelf, to drop the ball in the basket like he didn't even notice the guy frantically guarding him. He also delighted the crowd with a three (be still, my heart!). What a fun player! 

Grizzlies. I was expecting Memphis to look a little better than they did. Valanciunas played well, but not overwhelmingly sowith 14 points and 11 boards. Ja was limited to 11 points, and had 6 turnovers. The Grizz were missing several players, and that might have had an effect. I somehow remember them as being more proficient than this, and I believe they are still in a playoff spot in the West. Maybe it just wasn't their night. 

Remarks

Carlisle was pleased with the way his guys stepped up a battle of attrition. He especially liked the third quarter, when the team scored 34 points and limited the Grizz to 16. He particularly complimented the players' level of concentration and performance on the defensive end. He thinks the squad is showing signs of growth, and they are still working on their "lapses." He thinks the group are playing better at home, and believes that they have come to realize, at this point in the season, how important protecting home court is. He acknowledged the difficulty in balancing game results with health issues, and said he makes decisions on minutes partly by metrics and partly by gut feel. 

The FSSW crew were impressed with the team's defense, not just in this game, but as the season has worn along. At this point, it is noticeable that the players are more on a string, and there is more communication and better synergy on the defensive end of the floor.

This was a fun game, despite being a bit of a yawner in terms of competitive level. We got to enjoy some excellent individual performances, and it was a wonderful surprise to see so many of the more incidental players exceed expectations. And so rewarding to finally see the team playing with purpose and energy at home. I like it!

Next. The Mavs face Indiana on Sunday. The Pacers are one of the East's better teams, and the match should be another good test for our boys. Rick is hopeful that DFS and THJ will be able to play. Seth's injury doesn't look to be serious, but he is pretty sore, and his status will depend on how he feels. Brunson will not be ready. Let's get these men healthy, and see what we've got at full strength!

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
Excellent performance by everybody. Shorthanded Memphis was no match for us. I hope Jackson and Wright built some confidence, because we need them from the bench.

I really liked our defense.
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 06:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Excellent performance by everybody. I hope Jackson and Wright built some confidence, because we need them to boost their trade value.

FIFY
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 06:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Excellent performance by everybody. Shorthanded Memphis was no match for us. I hope Jackson and Wright built some confidence, because we need them from the bench.

I really liked our defense.

There is nothing more fun than watching Maxi and KP in the same lineup.

I have the sense they would block Kobe and Shaq in their prime. Its terrifying and Zion got that to feel. We are completely different team and much tougher when they are both in at the same time. Opponents can and will always try to get one of them out of the paint in order to control the paint. However, when they both are in, you can get one out by play design on the perimeter, but the second one you cant. At least one of them will be roaming around the rim, and this really makes the big difference. The scary thing is that they both can still and are effective away from the basket. Both are athletic.
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 03:26 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Undermanned Mavs Extinguish Grizzlies

The Mavericks impressed their home fans with a decisive victory over Memphis, despite missing 4 1/2 players. Great win in this important stretch!

Game Story

The injury whack-a-mole continued apace, as Barea returned to the lineup, but Hardaway (illness) and Doe Doe (hip flexor) went out. Powell and Brunson continued on the long-term disabled list. Rick experimented with a starting lineup of Luka/Curry/Lee/KP/Maxi.

This one was all Mavs. Point differentials by quarter were +5, +7, +18, -5. If anything, the score line might flatter the Grizz. It was a demolition job, with lots of fireworks from the home team. 

Players

Luka (30 min) put up a line of 21-4-6, and had two steals. His hand was still visibly bothering him, and he hurt it again when he fell backward and used his hands to brace his fall. It was affecting his shot, as he was 7-20 from the field, 2-8 from deep, and 5-8 from the line. There were three Mavs in negative territory, and Luka was uncharacteristically one of them, at -6. He was still entertaining, but clearly not 100%. 

Luka played into the fourth quarter, although the Mavericks had a 20+ point lead. I was holding my breath, having a nervous feeling that the team was tempting fate. Fortunately, things worked out. I assume the Mavs know what they're doing, playing Luka with an injury that is bothering him when the game has been decided as a practical matter. It seems like it would delay the recovery to be constantly re-injuring it, but I defer to the team's excellent medical staff on such matters. Anyway, it was great to see the team blow out an opponent, despite Luka having a bit of an off night, by his own stellar standards. He still did some great things, and Rick loyally called his game "terrific."

Maxi (30 min) did well in a starting role. I really like the Maxi-KP combo defensively. He was 9-4-2, with 2 blocks, but his impact isn't primarily measured by the box score. 

Lee (29 min) got a starting berth, and impressed with 13 points (5-6 FGA), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He also did a great defensive job on Morant and Brooks. Looked like a real, honest-to-goodness starting player! Rick gushed over the "tremendous" game Lee had, singling out two late-clock threes in the fourth quarter to keep the game in hand when the Grizz were looking like making a run. Courtney was smiling after the game, saying he had gotten a kick out of being an "old guy" guarding a candidate for rookie of the year. Lee fits well into the schemes -- one wonders if he will have a role in the postseason. 

Kristaps (29 min) put on an absolute CLINIC in this one. He had 26 points (9-19 FGA), 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and 4 blocks. And he was even more dominant than his line would suggest, with the team an amazing +38 when he was on the court. OMG. He scored from everywhere on the floor, hitting threes, posting up, cutting, rolling, doing everything there is to do. No one could guard him, and Memphis had to settle for looking terrified any time he got the ball. Not only that, but he was crushing it on the defensive end, as well.  

Rick waxed enthusiastic over his star's "terrific" play, talking about his productivity, rim protection, rebounding, diving to the floor, making smart plays, and playing every minute in a winning way. What a fierce competitor! Considering KP's slow start to the season, seeing him play with this level of outstanding skill and superlative BBIQ is truly a thrill. Where should he be criticized? I got nothing. 

Boban (4 min) got a few garbage-time minutes, and took the opportunity to score 9 points. I love watching this guy play, lol. He had two buckets where he calmly made a motion like he was putting a book up on a shelf, to drop the ball in the basket like he didn't even notice the guy frantically guarding him. He also delighted the crowd with a three (be still, my heart!). What a fun player! 

Go Mavs!

Luka looks banged up, limping and hand hurting. Confused   Hope RC won't run him in the ground. Dodgy  Yes he's young but still may need to steal the young guy some recovery rest, especially for those knees.  Don't want to wear those out this early in his career. 

Lee has to start getting a little more love. Heart  This guy has showed some real veteran step up ability and energy. His teammates seem to really recognize it too. 

Really nice to see something coming together on the Mavs bigs.  KP in unicorn mode, Exclamation Exclamation Maxi continuing to come into his own Exclamation (DP was too, unfortunately).  

Boban is criminally under appreciated. Cool  Yes he's a 'fun' player but let's not imply he shouldn't be taken too seriously which seems to be what Carlisle's usage often indicates. 9 points in 4 minutes?  That kind of offensive ease and efficiency should offset some defensive weakness and get used more seriously in key stretches.
Like Reply