Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 109, Spurs 103
(02-28-2020, 04:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: Really want to see KP and Maxi starting

I don't see it happen this season, as RC is strictly using Maxi as KP replacement. Otherwise I agree that line-up of Luka, THJ, DFS, Maxi and KP should be best combination of defense and offense. Despite the fact that in 54 minutes this year they didn't prove to be very good offensively. But we can hope this is just a matter of small sample. 

(02-28-2020, 04:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: DFS (or MKG)

DFS has an important role of guarding best opposing scorer on positions 1-3. I haven't seen enough of MKG to be sure he can also do this. More likely I see MKG as a PF - position where you would like to see Maxi.
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 04:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: This has really opened KPs offensive game, and this will make Luka much harder to double as well.

On top of that we also get better defensively with DP out.  

I'm glad to see so many have subscribed to my theory of why Powell's role in the O was holding back KP's game (now confirmed by the player himself).  But...

The offense was still quite good.  It just came from a different source.

Your defensive comment simply isn't true.  The team was actually 3.2 PP100 better when Powell was on the court than when he was off.

(02-28-2020, 05:21 AM)omahen Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 04:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: Really want to see KP and Maxi starting

I don't see it happen this season, as RC is strictly using Maxi as KP replacement. Otherwise I agree that line-up of Luka, THJ, DFS, Maxi and KP should be best combination of defense and offense. Despite the fact that in 54 minutes this year they didn't prove to be very good offensively. But we can hope this is just a matter of small sample. 

You can expand the sample size to 451 minutes by using 2-man line ups instead of five.  Maxi/KP together have a net rating of 4.1.  That is below the team average and as you suggest, the problem is on O, not D.  If memory serves, it used to be worse (I've pointed this out before, but too lazy to look up the number in my past posts).  If it is improving, then some reason for hope.
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 04:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: KP just being outside the ark

[Image: ark.jpg]
Like Reply
From Mavsluvr:
"....On the playoff prep theme, Rick usually plays ten guys, but appears to be narrowing down to essentially an 8- or 9-man rotation in any given match, with the last couple of guys playing short minutes. Seven guys look to be locks for a playoff rotation, assuming they're healthy, with the coach seemingly experimenting with players 8-10."

I actually thought this began with the nice win over Sacto just before the AS game. {but, I haven't gone back to check the numbers to see if my eyes were seeing correctly.} Then over the AS weekend, there were all sorts of hints & comments about making a push for a top-4 seeding. I again, sensed that RC was shortening the rotation during the ORL game. THEN CAME THE DUMPSTER FIRE THAT WAS THE ATL GAME!! Zinger had played one game in the past 8 days. Over the past W/E, Luka had played the equivalent of a couple games of Horse at the Y . Yet, BOTH had to sit out!! Anyway, I agree, RC now seems to be attempting to settle the starters with an eye toward the playoffs. Unfortunately, it appears we will be facing some teams that feature very-strong-in-the-paint lineups. Likely means Kleber instead of Curry as a starter. What's the deal with WCS? He could help, some, here.
Like Reply
(02-27-2020, 09:51 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: Jesus re: the Pop talk in the SAS forum.  Can we get him as an assistant coach here?  I'll trade the Rick haters for him Big Grin
I'm in.  Maybe he can get the Mavs to block out!
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 11:24 AM)duboh7 Wrote: From Mavsluvr:
"....On the playoff prep theme, Rick usually plays ten guys, but appears to be narrowing down to essentially an 8- or 9-man rotation in any given match, with the last couple of guys playing short minutes. Seven guys look to be locks for a playoff rotation, assuming they're healthy, with the coach seemingly experimenting with players 8-10."

I actually thought this began with the nice win over Sacto just before the AS game.  {but, I haven't gone back to check the numbers to see if  my eyes were seeing correctly.}  Then over the AS weekend, there were all sorts of hints & comments about making a push for a top-4 seeding.  I again, sensed that RC was shortening the rotation during the ORL game.  THEN CAME THE DUMPSTER FIRE THAT WAS THE ATL GAME!!    Zinger had played one game in the past 8 days.  Over the past W/E, Luka had played the equivalent of a couple games of Horse at the Y .    Yet, BOTH had to sit out!!  Anyway, I agree, RC now seems to be attempting to settle the starters with an eye toward the playoffs.  Unfortunately, it appears we will be facing some teams that feature very-strong-in-the-paint lineups.  Likely means Kleber instead of Curry as a starter.  What's the deal with WCS?  He could help, some, here.
It would not shock me if Rick goes with only two bigs in the playoff rotation, maybe breaking out Boban and/or WCS for a few minutes here and there. But it's early yet. Anything could happen. I guess we'll have to watch and wait. Agree that it's hard to read much into rotations where multiple guys are out.
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 01:48 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 11:24 AM)duboh7 Wrote: From Mavsluvr:

I actually thought this began with the nice win over Sacto just before the AS game. {but, I haven't gone back to check the numbers to see if my eyes were seeing correctly.} Then over the AS weekend, there were all sorts of hints & comments about making a push for a top-4 seeding. I again, sensed that RC was shortening the rotation during the ORL game. THEN CAME THE DUMPSTER FIRE THAT WAS THE ATL GAME!! Zinger had played one game in the past 8 days. Over the past W/E, Luka had played the equivalent of a couple games of Horse at the Y . Yet, BOTH had to sit out!! Anyway, I agree, RC now seems to be attempting to settle the starters with an eye toward the playoffs. Unfortunately, it appears we will be facing some teams that feature very-strong-in-the-paint lineups. Likely means Kleber instead of Curry as a starter. What's the deal with WCS? He could help, some, here.
It would not shock me if Rick goes with only two bigs in the playoff rotation, maybe breaking out Boban and/or WCS for a few minutes here and there. But it's early yet. Anything could happen. I guess we'll have to watch and wait. Agree that it's hard to read much into rotations where multiple guys are out.

I think one of the keys for next year is to take away one of RC's point guards. It's not healthy for him when five of our eight best players are guards - six of nine if you count JJB - with three of the five being either slender (Wright) or little (Brunson and Curry). Replace Wright or maybe Brunson with a big wing and roll.
Like Reply
(02-27-2020, 11:27 AM)mtrot Wrote: Glad we got the win, but this business of blowing leads late in the game is getting tiresome.  I also can't stomach getting beaten in points in the paint, which almost cost us this game.  Unless I'm mistaken it was when KP went out that the Spurs started killing us in the paint.  I don't understand why Rick doesn't use Boban, if only for a short spurt, to put a stop to teams out rebounding us and killing us in the paint, which was how the Spurs came back on us.  I'm afraid that this stubbornness is going to be our undoing in the playoffs.
Although I was cheered that the Mavs pulled this one out, I did wonder whether they would have been able to do that against a stronger team than the Spurs.
Like Reply
(02-28-2020, 03:41 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 11:27 AM)mtrot Wrote: Glad we got the win, but this business of blowing leads late in the game is getting tiresome. I also can't stomach getting beaten in points in the paint, which almost cost us this game. Unless I'm mistaken it was when KP went out that the Spurs started killing us in the paint. I don't understand why Rick doesn't use Boban, if only for a short spurt, to put a stop to teams out rebounding us and killing us in the paint, which was how the Spurs came back on us. I'm afraid that this stubbornness is going to be our undoing in the playoffs.
Although I was cheered that the Mavs pulled this one out, I did wonder whether they would have been able to do that against a stronger team than the Spurs.

Baby steps.
Like Reply