Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 139, Wolves 123
(02-26-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 03:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 03:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Because, I am sorry, if substance issues aren't the problem, there's no defense for Rick for what we're seeing.
Sorry, you totally lost me there, buddy. Why does Rick need a defense if has to miss a couple games for personal reasons? For all we know, his mother could be dying or something. (I hope not, but it seems just as likely as jumping to the conclusion that he's off on a drug spree.)

It's far from just a matter of those two personal reasons games. Prior to that, WCS was available for RC's use for 10 games. Those included:

28 Jan. vs. Suns, 12 minutes
31 Jan. @ Houston, 11 minutes
1 Feb. vs. Hawks, 26 minutes
3 Feb. @ Pacers, 6 minutes
5 Feb. vs. Grizz, 12 minutes
7 Feb. @ Wiz, 9 minutes
8 Feb. @ Hornets, 25 minutes (of course, his signature game with the Mavs so far)
10 Feb. vs. Jazz, 5 minutes
12 Feb. vs. Kings, 4 minutes
21 Feb. @ Magic, DNP-CD

I would consider less than 10 minutes to be a functional DNP-CD, so that's half of the games.

The Hornets are dead last in the league at giving up production to the center position according to basketballmonster. Hawks are 3rd from last. Those just happen to be his highest minute games.
Like Reply
(02-26-2020, 03:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Because, I am sorry, if substance issues aren't the problem, there's no defense for Rick for what we're seeing.
Sorry, you totally lost me there, buddy. Why does Rick need a defense if WCS has to miss a couple games for personal reasons? For all we know, his mother could be dying or something. (I hope not, but it seems just as likely as jumping to the conclusion that he's off on a drug spree.)

It's far from just a matter of those two personal reasons games. Prior to that, WCS was available for RC's use for 10 games. Those included:

7 Feb. @ Wiz, 9 minutes
8 Feb. @ Hornets, 25 minutes (of course, his signature game with the Mavs so far)
21 Feb. @ Magic, DNP-CD

I would consider less than 10 minutes to be a functional DNP-CD, so that's half of the games.
Are you changing the subject? You were complaining that WCS was missing games and thinking he was on drugs. 

Now your issue is that Rick isn't playing him enough minutes, assuming that he actually isn't on drugs? In addition to Rick being at fault for his missing these games?

I don't want to offend, but you're really jumping the shark here, pal. Maybe you're just trolling us. I rather suspect that is the case.
Like Reply
(02-26-2020, 05:02 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
Sorry, you totally lost me there, buddy. Why does Rick need a defense if WCS has to miss a couple games for personal reasons? For all we know, his mother could be dying or something. (I hope not, but it seems just as likely as jumping to the conclusion that he's off on a drug spree.)

7 Feb. @ Wiz, 9 minutes
21 Feb. @ Magic, DNP-CD

Are you changing the subject? You were complaining that WCS was missing games and thinking he was on drugs.

Now your issue is that Rick isn't playing him enough minutes, assuming that he actually isn't on drugs? In addition to Rick being at fault for his missing these games?

I don't want to offend, but you're really jumping the shark here, pal. Maybe you're just trolling us. I rather suspect that is the case.

No, not trolling at all. WCS should be getting minutes when available.

(02-26-2020, 04:49 PM)Darth Cuban Wrote:
Sorry, you totally lost me there, buddy. Why does Rick need a defense if has to miss a couple games for personal reasons? For all we know, his mother could be dying or something. (I hope not, but it seems just as likely as jumping to the conclusion that he's off on a drug spree.)

7 Feb. @ Wiz, 9 minutes
21 Feb. @ Magic, DNP-CD

The Hornets are dead last in the league at giving up production to the center position according to basketballmonster. Hawks are 3rd from last. Those just happen to be his highest minute games.

Good catch, but he had some decent productivity - some blocks and rebounds, one 3-3 game - in his lower minute games. I suspect we're seeing the old RC rag-dolling - which is exactly what I'm complaining about. If WCS is having such a hard time fitting into the system and thus so irritating RC, then why play him big minutes against those defensively weak opponents when it's more likely to ingrain bad Mavs habits in him? Not complaining that he got the minutes, just trying to see the rationale.

I believe one of two things is true - 1) Whatever WCS's personal issue was is what kept him out of the Orlando game, and so that's not on RC at all. 2) The Orlando DNP-CD was RC's decision, rightfully offended WCS and his camp, and his "personal issue" is that his agent is trying to find a better landing spot for him after the Mavs waive him if RC is going to treat him like that.

Hey, at least we'll get RFA back.
Like Reply
(02-26-2020, 05:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: No, not trolling at all. WCS should be getting minutes when available.
The only thing that makes me suspect you might not be trolling is that you seem to put a fair amount of effort into your posts, researching and posting all the games and minutes, for example. Kudos for offering some evidence of the minutes he has played.  

What you don't offer evidence of is why your assertion that WCS should get at least 10 mpg is true. If you stated why that would be beneficial and important, it would be the basis for a discussion. 

I don't necessarily say he should or he shouldn't. But in terms of our expectations, they should take into account circumstances. He was acquired in January in response to Powell's injury. Very likely as a temporary backup big while DP is out. If they don't see him as at least a potential long-term piece, I don't think he's cracking the rotation, although he'll get some minutes here and there (like Boban). He's clearly behind KP and Maxi in the pecking order, and I don't see that changing.  

I would expect that this season will serve as an audition of sorts, at least to give him a chance to exceed expectations. I think Carlisle likes him as a person. 

Is your attachment to WCS in particular, or is it more that you want Rick to use more two-big lineups?
Like Reply