Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts On Mavs 107, Hawks 111
Depleted Mavs Let One Slip Away in Atlanta
Ref Controversy Enrages Cuban

The Mavericks, missing several players, on the second night of a back-to-back, surrendered a 13-point lead in the fourth quarter. A controversial call late in the game had the owner issuing a colorful tweet storm.

Game Story 

The Mavs rested Luka and KP on the SEGABABA, and WCS was out for personal reasons. Jalen Brunson sprained his shoulder on the first play, and was ruled out for the remainder of the game. That left ten Mavericks dressed, and Carlisle essentially played eight of them, with spot minutes for MKG and Boban. Rick tried a new starting lineup, with Brunson/Curry/THJ/DFS/Maxi, with Wright taking Brunson's place almost immediately. 

Deep into the third quarter, I stifled a comfortable yawn and thought this was going to be a pretty humdrum win against an unimpressive Hawks team. Alas, the squad came unglued in the fourth. With a thirteen-point lead early in the period, the team devolved into the fourth-quarter chaos that they have been wont to show in the past. Just a maelstrom of turnovers, missed free throws, offensive rebounds allowed, mini-lineups, and defensive failures. 

In the last minute, the Mavs were down 2, and the Hawks had the ball. DFS blocked a layup by Trae Young, but the refs whistled a goaltend. John Collins put the ball back as the players stopped playing. The goaltend, on review, was ruled a clean block. Under the rules, a whistle on an overruled goaltend is considered an inadvertent whistle, resulting in a jump ball. However, after the lengthy review, the referee awarded the put back to Collins, which meant that the Mavs were 4 points down with 9 seconds and a timeout left. That is, the game was essentially over. On a query after the game, a ref took the position that Collins was in a shooting motion when the whistle was blown, so he received a continuation. The Mavs' view of the situation was that the put back occurred after the whistle was blown, which seemed to be borne out by the replays. This foo-fah resulted in some pointed comments by Carlisle and a series of outraged tweets by Cuban. 

At any rate, the Mavs took their last timeout, THJ missed a three, and that was that. 

Analytics

The Mavericks put up 9 fewer FGAs and 7 fewer FTAs than their opponents. Dallas gave up a terrible 26 points on turnovers. Additionally, their diminutive lineups and poor defense allowed the Hawks to conduct a parade to the basket, earning 66 points in the paint. Yikes. On this occasion, the Mavs' three-point shooting was too mediocre to bail them out (32%), and they missed 6 free throws on top of that. After hanging in for three quarters, poor execution in the fourth did them in. 

Players

Seth (38 min) looked fine in the box score, with a 22-6-5 line, and he played some pretty decent defense at times, but he played the entire fourth quarter and scored only 3 points, and had some bad turnovers. A mixed bag, on the night, although he was one of the better Mavs on the court. 

Tim (35 min) was the team's leading scorer, with 33 points, including 6 threes, and 5 assists. He had 10 points in the fourth quarter. However, he was trying to lead the charge down the stretch, and in the last 5 minutes, registered 4 missed shots and 2 missed free throws. Although, he did tie the game at 1:08 with a dramatic three-point bank shot, so there is that. Kudos for him for assuming the initiative, and for impressive scoring, but he just can't do what Luka does in clutch situations. 

Maxi (30 min) had 8 rebounds and a season-high five blocks. Unfortunately, he fouled out when the ref called a sixth foul on him, missing a kicked ball by Wright. He was essentially the Mavs' only true big man for the game, aside from a 4-minute cameo by Boban, unless we want to count Justin Jackson, who contributed 10 points and 8 boards in 27 minutes off the bench. 

Wright and Barea acted as point guards, and combined for 22 points, 10 boards, and 7 assists.  

Hawks. Trae Young got off to a slow start, but ultimately came alive, and burned the Mavs with 25 points and 10 assists. Dallas double-teamed Young quite a bit, and looked they might be daring John Collins to beat them. Which he did, putting up 35 points and 17 boards. Ouch. Old friend Vince Carter did not score in 11 minutes off the bench.

Remarks

Carlisle ragged on for a while in his presser about the controversial play at the end. He also noted that his team was undermanned and ran out of gas to an extent in the fourth, but commended them for fighting to the bitter end. 

Hardaway drew praise from the FSSW crew, who opined that Tim will be key to any advancement in the playoffs. KP and Luka are likely to be defended tightly, and the team needs a third option who can be counted on for 20-ish points a game. 

I found this game a little frustrating, even though it probably wasn't all that important in the grand scheme, as it seemed another incidence of the Mavs beating themselves at the end. I hate bad refereeing as much as the next fan, but we should be under no illusion that the Mavs lost the game due to the zebras. They just weren't sharp for 48 minutes. However, I don't think there is any point in going into any deep analysis of this one, as this was pretty much a bunch of patched-together lineups which will hopefully not be representative of any normal rotation. I hesitate to say this, because I think the players on the court did fight hard, but on a bigger organizational level, I think the Mavs more or less phoned this winnable match in, for reasons that must have made sense to them. So, on to the next one, I guess. 

Next. The Mavs face the Wolves Monday night. Hopefully, Luka, KP, and WCS will all be ready to play. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
RC strikes again he is just a clown , how never was close to a top 3 coach

John Collins dominated the game because RC just really does not understand basketball, Boban would have really helped last night.
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 01:53 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Remarks

Carlisle ragged on for a while in his presser about the controversial play at the end. He also noted that his team was undermanned and ran out of gas to an extent in the fourth,

And whose fault was that? He decided to only dress 11 players, while Cleveland and Reaves played 64 minutes for the Legends yesterday.
Like Reply
This loss goes to Rick
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 09:02 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: This loss goes to Rick
Seriously, it almost seemed like Rick was determined to lose the game.  How, and why, does he let the Hawks score 62 points in the paint?  I just have this disgusted, nauseous feeling after these debacles.
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 01:53 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Tim will be key to any advancement in the playoffs. KP and Luka are likely to be defended tightly, and the team needs a third option who can be counted on for 20-ish points a game. 
THJ has been giving great effort on defense and when he is on offensively, can be as good as any third option in the league.  If the Mavs don't rest their 2 big guns, the team isn't half bad Smile
Like Reply
mavsluver:  " I hesitate to say this, because I think the players on the court did fight hard, but on a bigger organizational level, I think the Mavs more or less phoned this winnable match in, for reasons that must have made sense to them."

What seemed so incongruous, is that a day or so after Coach Rick alerted the players, including the two stars, to keep a watchful eye on "the standings" and the possibility of moving up to enhance a playoff run, Carlisle all but forfeits a winnable game.

WAB
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 11:45 AM)WildArkieBoy75 Wrote: mavsluver: " I hesitate to say this, because I think the players on the court did fight hard, but on a bigger organizational level, I think the Mavs more or less phoned this winnable match in, for reasons that must have made sense to them."

What seemed so incongruous, is that a day or so after Coach Rick alerted the players, including the two stars, to keep a watchful eye on "the standings" and the possibility of moving up to enhance a playoff run, Carlisle all but forfeits a winnable game.

WAB

I don't think that it was unwise to sit either Luka or KP if there are legitimate health concerns there. Without those two guys, nothing much matters. Nor do I think RC thought that the rotation he was playing would lose them the game. And that, that right there, is the problem. He doesn't see what nearly all Mavs fans who don't have his experience, accumulated knowledge, and acumen can see right in front of their faces. Cue Fif to come in to tell us how dumb we are to second-guess a HOF coach.
Like Reply
I understand people are frustrated about losing to the lowly Hawks. I'm frustrated, too. I don't understand how we roast Carlisle about going small, when Luka, Kristpas and WCS were out and Maxi as the lonely big man didn't have enough fouls to make it til the end of the game. I highly doubt the injury rest for our two stars was a Carlisle-only decision and whatever WCS personal reasons for being out where, I also doubt this was a Rick-only decision.

MKG looked rusty, slow and gassed in both games, Orlando and Atlanta and doesn't seem to be in game shape. I can't see how he would have helped. Boban, in is few minutes, didn't look good and the game strategy to double Tray Young required mobile players, not a slow footed 7'4'' giant. By the way: The strategy helped the shorthanded Mavs, who were playing 5 vs 8 at times, and lost their starting point guard after 10 seconds to a non-reviewed flagrant to a comfortable lead for most of the game until they ran out of gas and out of Maxi.

They where victims of a bad goal-tending coal and unexpected ruling on the review a few seconds before the end, Hardaway, a very solid free shooter missed two freethrows  in the clutch. And most fellow comments in this thread focus on the coach. Really!?

With all the unfortunate circumstances it was a surprise, they nearly won - even if the fine first half got our hopes up.
Like Reply
You make some valid points but that small-ball lineup was a total loser and Rick ran it twice in the fourth quarter. Mavs were not getting consistent offense out of that look and gave up ridiculously easy baskets on the other end. Mavs could have been beat worse had we not had the luxury of Dwayne Dedmon throwing up bricks during the fourth quarter.

I think once Rick saw the small-ball lineup wasn't working he should have tried something else, ie Boban or MKG who would have at least offered some semblance of protection around the rim. Mavs couldn't get stops so they had to run everything through their half-court offense which didn't look good. At any rate it was a game Mavs should have won that they blew.

(02-23-2020, 10:12 AM)mtrot Wrote:
(02-23-2020, 09:02 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: This loss goes to Rick
Seriously, it almost seemed like Rick was determined to lose the game.  How, and why, does he let the Hawks score 62 points in the paint?  I just have this disgusted, nauseous feeling after these debacles.

Did Rick have money on the Hawks? Lol
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 03:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs were not getting consistent offense out of that look and gave up ridiculously easy baskets on the other end.

BINGO.
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 11:45 AM)WildArkieBoy75 Wrote: What seemed so incongruous, is that a day or so after Coach Rick alerted the players, including the two stars, to keep a watchful eye on "the standings" and the possibility of moving up to enhance a playoff run, Carlisle all but forfeits a winnable game
Yes, it makes you wonder what they are trying to do. Before we even get to the on-court lineups and tactics, I think we have to look at the overarchingly more impactful decision to rest both Luka and KP, said to be for sore ankle/knee recovery. We don't have a lot of info on how serious these lingering injuries are, and I assume the decision was at least partly informed by the medical staff. 

I am making a guess (which could be wrong) that their joints are sore, but they could have played if the game had been deemed important. If so, that would seem to mean that the organization has made a managerial decision to prioritize conservative injury management for Luka and KP over winning every game during the stretch run. Presumably to maximize their stars' chances of staying healthy in the playoffs.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that approach for this season, and it was too bad that the absences piled up in this match. But if the ankle/knee are in fact turning out to be chronic nagging injuries that are bothersome even if they don't prevent Luka and KP from playing, I think that is at least somewhat concerning.
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 12:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Cue Fif to come in to tell us how dumb we are to second-guess a HOF coach.

I never said that. In my response to you in the other thread I criticized your habit of claiming that your opinion is obvious, or self evident, or whatever wording you chose. And I responded mainly because you called me obtuse about something I hadn't even posted about.

If you want my opinion on the topic of the day: I'm with Jamnemann. You guys are freaking out about small ball on a night when KP and WCS were out, Luka (a great rebounder) was out, and Maxi fouled out. Also, the 4th quarter lineup reverted to the spit the bit type turnover and missed free throw bonanza that we saw several weeks ago. It's not obvious to me that Boban and MKG would have fixed that. It's fine If you think it's obvious, but it's not to me.

I think Seth, Wright, THJ and DFS should have been able to bring this one home.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1231710263906357249
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I just like the way Brunson is looking at the camera...

Do we get to use Luka and KP for the 9.7 second replay.  Especially KP for the jump ball?  Just curious.
Like Reply
There is one thing Mavs are absolutely terrified - that NBA would grant their protest. Small chance they could win it and a big shame for them if they win the protest and lose the game. Scenario Mavs hope for is that protest is rejected
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 06:51 PM)omahen Wrote: There is one thing Mavs are absolutely terrified - that NBA would grant their protest. Small chance they could win it and a big shame for them if they win the protest and lose the game. Scenario Mavs hope for is that protest is rejected

I don't think it needs to be replayed even if it was the wrong call. But, why would it be shameful to lose if replayed?
Like Reply
I think part of the small ball issue is that coaches don’t usually have 2 styles of how they want the team to play. You build a style around your top guys and everyone else has to adjust. The Mavs play a 5 out offense. When KP and Luka are out we are not going to see Boban or WCS suddenly get huge minutes as the Mavs completely change their style of play.

I don’t agree with the 5 out offense. I don’t agree that Boban cannot be a 12 mppg player just because some teams go small. However once the coach is adamant on sticking to that, I can understand why he cannot change game plans on the fly when certain key players are hurt.
Like Reply
(02-23-2020, 07:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think it needs to be replayed even if it was the wrong call. But, why would it be shameful to lose if replayed?

(in case granted) Because despite all of our whining we still didn't manage to win. 

Just remember how majority of Mavs fans reacted to Houston complaint couple of months ago. Imagine Houston would get their wish and still lose. Oh boy, how much fun would we have.
Like Reply
Houston’ complaint was ridiculous given the time left. If that is the case every NBA game will need to be replayed due to some call earlier in the game.

In this case it is a much easier if the NBA wants to do it. If they replay the Mavs will still be down by 2 points. A win is never easy in that situation. Why would there be any shame in losing?
Like Reply