Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 122, Magic 106
Mavs Stomp Magic in Orlando

The Mavericks came out of the All-Star Break strong, pummeling the offensively-challenged Magic with their usual road form. 

Game Story and Analytics

Except for a period at the end of the second quarter and beginning of the third, in which the visitors squandered an 18-point lead, Dallas looked to be in control. Porzingis addressed the big Orlando run, attributing it to his team's getting a little hectic on offense and rushing their shots, together with the Magic making several plays with a side PNR until the Mavs' coaching staff made an adjustment. 

The Magic put up an astonishing 20 more shots than the Mavs, due in part to Dallas giving up 16 offensive rebounds and turning the ball over 16 times. However, Orlando's abysmal shooting (21% from deep) and propensity to send the Mavs to the line (26 Dallas FTAs) proved their undoing. Our boys were +18 on points from threes, +6 on made free throws, and -8 on points from twos. The Mavericks' three-point shooting continued to be a strength, with the guys shooting 39% from long distance. 

Players

Luka (34 min) looked well-rested and sharp for the majority of the game, with a 33-10-8 line. He faded a little in the second half (9 points, 2-9 FGA), and Rick said he had a "quiet 33 points." Is that oxymoronic? Anyway, the young star impressed with numerous drives to the basket, step-back threes, lovely finds, and long downcourt passes sailing to a teammate for an easy score. He let his frustration get the better of him a little in the third quarter, getting called for a T for complaining about a non-call. It was hard to blame him, really, with the refs allowing the Magic to beat up on him, including a couple of hits in the face, with impunity. Net performance: breathtaking. 

Kristaps (34 min) had another brilliant game, with an almost unparalleled line of 24-10-5-5 (blocks). He has come a long way this season, playing with a confidence and swagger that was missing at the beginning of the term. With Powell's injury, KP has become less of a spot-up shooter, and much more involved in the offense, getting more touches and being used more in the PNR. He is an underrated facilitator, and had a gorgeous bounce pass through traffic to Luka for a layup on a give-and-go. The Luka-KP connection continues to flourish, and Porzee thinks that the best is ahead of the duo. Jet described Zinger as reaching a new level, and especially complimented his increasing familiarity with his teammates and the system, along with his rim protection and rebounding. 

Tim (33 min) was his dependable self, with his 15-ish points per game, putting 16 points on the board and grabbing 6 rebounds. The Magic made the mistake of leaving him open, and he punished them (3-5 3PTA). He seems to have improved his consistency from the beginning of the year, which is huge if it holds up. 

Maxi (23 min) was the man of the hour, with a career-high night of 26 points on 10-13 shooting off the bench. He and Jalen Brunson lit a firestorm in the fourth quarter, with Maxi scoring 12 points in the period. The FSSW studio crew remarked on how much the man from Wurzburg has come on this season, becoming a proficient roller and improving his three-point shooting, especially from the corners. In addition to three triples, Kleber had an authoritative slam over Mo Bamba, and was impressive on both ends of the court. 

MKG (4 min) made his Mavericks debut, with 3 fouls in a 4-minute cameo. Boban was inactive as a result. Barea did not play, but drew praise from the coach for his professionalism. Coach said he told Barea before the season that his role was to mentor the young guards (who would get most of the minutes) on and off the court, and to be ready when he was called upon. He lauded JJB for doing everything asked of him in what might be a difficult situation for the veteran champ.  It remains to be seen whether the Puerto Rican will assume a bigger role in the run-up to the playoffs. 

Magic.  Evan Fournier came alive in the second half, and torched Dallas for 28 points on the night. Vucevic made a statement with 27 points and 12 boards, but was 12-27 overall and 1-7 from deep. Terence Ross surprised with 19 points off the bench, and Aaron Gordon was kept relatively in check at 10-12-7, on 4-13 shooting. The Magic were missing Aminu and Isaac, but I had expected them to put up a little better fight than they did. Apart from their one comeback stretch, they looked overmatched. 

Remarks

Carlisle thought the break had energized his team, and was pleased to see Maxi and KP getting loose for shots with so many playmakers on the floor. As a side note, he was happy to watch Darrell Armstrong admitted to the Magic Hall of Fame. He said before the game that he liked the way MKG is coming along, and that he has made a lot of progress in the 10-12 days he has been with the team. 

I thought this was an encouraging performance out of the break, the one sputtering stretch notwithstanding. It is amazing what a difference some rest makes. Luka and KP seem to be clicking, finally, and that is an enormous development, with Porzingis looking like the superstar he is. The team as a whole seemed to be firing on all cylinders, with great playmaking (26-43 made baskets assisted), a lot of ball movement, strong shooting from many quarters, and tremendous defense in the first period. Granted, it was Orlando, who didn't look very sharp, but the Magic did mount a comeback and the Mavs responded well. A reasonably entertaining, if somewhat unremarkable, match. 

Next. The Mavericks face the Hawks in Atlanta Saturday night. Isn't it great to have basketball games again?

Go, Mavs!
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 05:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:  
Kristaps (34 min) had another brilliant game, with an almost unparalleled line of 24-10-5-5 (blocks). He has come a long way this season, playing with a confidence and swagger that was missing at the beginning of the term. With Powell's injury, KP has become less of a spot-up shooter, and much more involved in the offense, getting more touches and being used more in the PNR. He is an underrated facilitator, and had a gorgeous bounce pass through traffic to Luka for a layup on a give-and-go. The Luka-KP connection continues to flourish, and Porzee thinks that the best is ahead of the duo. Jet described Zinger as reaching a new level, and especially complimented his increasing familiarity with his teammates and the system, along with his rim protection and rebounding. 

KP has been on a different level for seven games now with six of them being great plus a bit of a stinker against Washington.  In those seven games he's averaged 24.3 points and 10.4 boards.  He's getting to the line 8 times a game, hitting 40% of his 3's and .517 from the field.  It comes to 1.44 points per shot attempt.

Something I find interesting...shot attempts for the season are 15.2 per game and he's only taking 16.8 shots per game in this stretch.  So, he's doing this on only 1.6 more shots per game.  He's just hitting more of them.  FG% has gone from .417 to .517.  FTA's have gone from 4.5 to 8.  He was getting shots before, but they were mostly stand above the break and we'll throw you the ball every once in a while (which works for Maxi).  But, that kind of inactivity may have been tough for KP to take.  Now he's more integral to the offense and much more involved in plays and it seems to get his juices flowing.  If we are still having this conversation in March, watch out.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 05:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 05:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:  

KP has been on a different level for seven games now with six of them being great plus a bit of a stinker against Washington.  In those seven games he's averaged 24.3 points and 10.4 boards.  He's getting to the line 8 times a game, hitting 40% of his 3's and .517 from the field.  It comes to 1.44 points per shot attempt.

Something I find interesting...shot attempts for the season are 15.2 per game and he's only taking 16.8 shots per game in this stretch.  So, he's doing this on only 1.6 more shots per game.  He's just hitting more of them.  FG% has gone from .417 to .517.  FTA's have gone from 4.5 to 8.  He was getting shots before, but they were mostly stand above the break and we'll throw you the ball every once in a while (which works for Maxi).  But, that kind of inactivity may have been tough for KP to take.  Now he's more integral to the offense and much more involved in plays and it seems to get his juices flowing.  If we are still having this conversation in March, watch out.

Thanks for the KP numbers. It makes it so clear just much the Unicorn has really played his way back into All-Star form in just over a 1/2 season!  Its very unfortunate that an injury to Dwight Powell probably played into this expanded role for KP because DP was in process of emerging to another level himself. 

Fact is, we're really looking at true next man up process at work here with the Mavs because Maxi Kleber is also emerging and looking like his game has another level.  I thought from watching his year 1 that Kleber could be a sleeper and so far its really looking like a another great find for Donnie and his scouting team.   

Donnie should be up for some GM recognition btw.    Big Grin
Like Reply
Like finally seeing KP in pick and roll
Like Reply
I was disappointed in how Maxi was playing before the break.  He bobbled a number of passes and seemed off.  Tonight he was crisp and decisive in his rolling, drives and 3 point attempts.  If Maxi was on the other team and did that to the Mavs, I would be begging for the Mavs to trade for him.  Luckily for us, he just showed up here Smile.

I don't want to dump on DW too much but he has to do better with his time on the floor.  It seems he gets less confident as the season goes.  He won't take the three when open and then drives but just seems to dribble around and then pass off to someone with just a little time left on the clock.

(02-22-2020, 05:06 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Isn't it great to have basketball games again?
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 05:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: KP has been on a different level for seven games now with six of them being great plus a bit of a stinker against Washington.  In those seven games he's averaged 24.3 points and 10.4 boards.  He's getting to the line 8 times a game, hitting 40% of his 3's and .517 from the field.  It comes to 1.44 points per shot attempt.

Something I find interesting...shot attempts for the season are 15.2 per game and he's only taking 16.8 shots per game in this stretch.  So, he's doing this on only 1.6 more shots per game.  He's just hitting more of them.  FG% has gone from .417 to .517.  FTA's have gone from 4.5 to 8.  He was getting shots before, but they were mostly stand above the break and we'll throw you the ball every once in a while (which works for Maxi).  But, that kind of inactivity may have been tough for KP to take.  Now he's more integral to the offense and much more involved in plays and it seems to get his juices flowing.  If we are still having this conversation in March, watch out
Excellent comments! Thanks for providing some of the numbers that underlie and affirm what our eyes have been telling us!
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 08:00 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Fact is, we're really looking at true next man up process at work here with the Mavs because Maxi Kleber is also emerging and looking like his game has another level.  I thought from watching his year 1 that Kleber could be a sleeper and so far its really looking like a another great find for Donnie and his scouting team.
Derek Harper pronounced Maxi a candidate for Most Improved Player of the Year. He has come a long way.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 11:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 08:00 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Fact is, we're really looking at true next man up process at work here with the Mavs because Maxi Kleber is also emerging and looking like his game has another level. I thought from watching his year 1 that Kleber could be a sleeper and so far its really looking like a another great find for Donnie and his scouting team.
Derek Harper pronounced Maxi a candidate for Most Improved Player of the Year. He has come a long way.

Say what you will about Harper, but this season, I love listening to his gushing homerism. It ramps up my passion for our boys in blue.

BTW, I'll say it again - I ***love*** this version of KP. Luka this year + KP from February onward (knock on wood) = a child's Christmas morning extended over several months. Great payoff to Dirk's twilight years.

BTW, I guess I'll be the only one here to gripe about WCS getting a DNP. Better see a lot of minutes for him tonight.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 12:26 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 11:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 08:00 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Fact is, we're really looking at true next man up process at work here with the Mavs because Maxi Kleber is also emerging and looking like his game has another level.  I thought from watching his year 1 that Kleber could be a sleeper and so far its really looking like a another great find for Donnie and his scouting team.
Derek Harper pronounced Maxi a candidate for Most Improved Player of the Year. He has come a long way.

Say what you will about Harper, but this season, I love listening to his gushing homerism. It ramps up my passion for our boys in blue.

BTW, I'll say it again - I ***love*** this version of KP. Luka this year + KP from February onward (knock on wood) = a child's Christmas morning extended over several months. Great payoff to Dirk's twilight years.

BTW, I guess I'll be the only one here to gripe about WCS getting a DNP. Better see a lot of minutes for him tonight.

It´s a win-win situation, so Porzingis will most likely be rested.

We win - we win.

We lose - Hawks gain a game on the Warriors in the standings.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 01:01 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: BTW, I guess I'll be the only one here to gripe about WCS getting a DNP. Better see a lot of minutes for him tonight.

I think you might he beating your head against a wall on this one. I think the plan is for WCS to play situationally based on matchups. The addition of MKG is part of this as well. It looks like KP, Maxi, DFS and MKG are all ahead of him for 5/4 minutes.

Not saying you have to like this, just that your expectations may be setting you up for disappointment.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 01:18 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 01:01 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: BTW, I guess I'll be the only one here to gripe about WCS getting a DNP. Better see a lot of minutes for him tonight.

I think you might he beating your head against a wall on this one. I think the plan is for WCS to play situationally based on matchups.  The addition of MKG is part of this as well. It looks like KP, Maxi, DFS and MKG are all ahead of him for 5/4 minutes.

Not saying you have to like this, just that your expectations may be setting you up for disappointment.
Well not me, cause you got the quotations mixed up. I also reject bashing Scott´s head against a wall. Big Grin

I think WCS will play the easier B2B match-ups for Porzingis, so I actually expect 25-30 minutes tonight.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 01:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Well not me, cause you got the quotations mixed up. I also reject bashing Scott´s head against a wall.

I think WCS will play the easier B2B match-ups for Porzingis, so I actually expect 25-30 minutes tonight.

LOL

I knew it was Scott but I guess I poached Scott's quote out of your post.

It's good of you to refrain from bashing Scott's head against the wall!

And I bet you're right about WCS tonight.
Like Reply
I just want to support the extended Christmas morning comment from Scott. Bingo!

We are now 3-3 for the 6th 10 game segment. We need a strong next 4 games plus a next 10 games that reflects a playoff run push! I know I'm checking the scores of our competitors every night though I am too lazy to post it.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 02:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: And I bet you're right about WCS tonight.

He is out for "personal reasons"
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 02:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 02:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: And I bet you're right about WCS tonight.

He is out for "personal reasons"

Bobi time? Or small ball? Guess which one is happening. (banghead)
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 03:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: (banghead)

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 02:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 01:30 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Well not me, cause you got the quotations mixed up. I also reject bashing Scott´s head against a wall.

LOL

I knew it was Scott but I guess I poached Scott's quote out of your post.

It's good of you to refrain from bashing Scott's head against the wall!

And I bet you're right about WCS tonight.

Thanks to both of you for not wanting to bash my head against a wall. The Mavs make me do that to myself enough already.
Like Reply
(02-22-2020, 09:05 AM)Hypermav Wrote: I don't want to dump on DW too much but he has to do better with his time on the floor.  It seems he gets less confident as the season goes.  He won't take the three when open and then drives but just seems to dribble around and then pass off to someone with just a little time left on the clock.
I hear what you're saying. On the other hand, the team was a game-high +18 when he was on the floor. Go figure.
Like Reply