Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuban Says He's Had Conversation With Luka About Getting Teammates More Involved
This is embarrassing and dangerous. This shouldn't be coming from Cuban or especially being this public. Luka is on Team LeBron for the ASG, hopefully Luka doesn't get too much advice from LBJ about how he happens to be a transcendent enough of a player to hold this franchise hostage if he wants to. Assuming he has Dirk level loyalty to put up with this is quite the risk
Like Reply
We don't really know how these comments came about -- whether Mark and Rick talked to Luka together, or whether Rick asked Mark to do it. In any normal situation, the protocol should be that instructions about how to play on the court should be delivered by the coaching staff, not directly by the owner. In most cases, mentoring should be done privately, and not through the media. 

I think Cuban is one of the better owners in the league, but no one is perfect. He has exhibited a tendency over the years at times to go around the coaches in dealing with players, and talk too much to the media, which have often not ended well. Probably not an encouraging sign that it continues. 

Having said that, I think there will be minimal to no damage in this particular case. The advice could be looked at as a suggestion as to how to take Doncic's game to an even higher level, rather than a criticism calling attention to a deficiency. Luka is a professional, and I think that he will likely understand the intent, and act on it accordingly. 

Ideally, the owner would respect the chain of command and the sanctity of confidential constructive criticism of the players. However, if this is just who Cuban is, this one item is a relatively anodyne transgression.
Like Reply
I wish cuban would never talk in public about Mavs affairs because between the media misquotes/sound bites, everyone who knows about him owning the team dislike him for some reason. If he could privately tell rick that our 3PG small ball isnt going to cut it though vs any of the other 7 teams in the playoffs..... that would be nice.We need to play 1 PG at a time (not counting luka) and maximize our size/length on the perimeter/inside along with some clever defensive schemes. Same with JJ at the 4, he's a 3 at best. 

KP/WCS/Boban- centers (Maxi can fill occasionally)
Maxi/WCS/MKG- PF (occasionally DFS or Luka)
DFS/MKG/Lee/THJ/JJ- SFs

THJ/Curry/Delon- SGs..... should not find themselves having to guard 6-6 - 6-8 players that are also 20plus pounds heavier. Thats a mismatch that is advantage other team 76% of the time.

Luka/Brunson/JJB/Delon- PGs.

This list is not to be taken as a ranking just positional play to best allow us to field a team capable of defending as best in space as a team, rebounding and mixing the offense up. Solid screens from capable bigs that offer a open mid range or collapse the defense by catching the ball in the paint helps make us unguardable compared to just passing the ball on the perimeter with a screen from a player who goes right back to the perimeter..... it lets good defenses just spread out and keep the ball on the perimeter til someone has to shoot a three and both they/we are forced to live with the results.

I wish we had kept Brokoff and waived JJ to be honest because what bro did was more impactful to team success with good positional defense/size/rebounding and more reliable 3s but whats done is done. We just need to accept the fact that for defense/rebounding and grinding out games we cant play 3 PGs and expect to grab that crucial rebound or not get switched onto and exploited for a late bucket/foul etc.
RIP Kobe.... so sad man. Cry Props to a legend man even though you killed my favorite team(s) too many times to count!! 

Hurts everytime I throw somethin away yellin KOBE!! now but will eventually make me smile too Sad
Like Reply
This is all just a tempest in a teapot. Maybe Cuban shouldn't have taken sole ownership of the advice, but it's probably nothing Luka hasn't heard already from the coaching staff and it is valid advice. Building confidence and growing as a team is what will make the Mavs dangerous in the playoffs and in future seasons. 

As far as airing it in public, Cuban's gonna Cuban. He likes to project openness and honesty and was responding to a line of questioning.
Like Reply
Wow, you are blowing this out of proportion. People talk. People exchange opinions. Of course Cuban talks with Luka and of course Cuban tells him his opinion about how he thinks Mavs should play. As I am sure Luka shares his opinion on team building or Arena enterteinment or any other topic that is under the owner belt. Nothing wrong about that. As long as people respect each other there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing opinions.

Everything is pointing out that Mavs involved respect each other.
Like Reply
Cause: Cuban talks to Luka about sharing the ball and taking ownership of his teammates' success as a way to become a better team.  

Effect: The very next game, Luka takes the advice to heart and shares the ball very well even when it doesn't always get an assist.  KP, THJ, and Curry all get double-digit shot attempts in their preferred spots and all shoot at least 50%.  The three also combine for 17 assists thanks to the active ball movement.  Luka still nearly gets a 33-point triple-double on only 18 attempts (his second-lowest shot attempts since Jan 1st).  Mavs dominate.  

I love you guys, but some people really need to chill and learn how to enjoy a good thing.  Luka and Cuban are simply demonstrating how healthy professional relationships work.  Luka is a good kid, and life in the NBA is not always so adversarial.
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 10:49 AM)Tyler Wrote: Cause: Cuban talks to Luka about sharing the ball and taking ownership of his teammates' success as a way to become a better team.  

Effect: The very next game, Luka takes the advice to heart and shares the ball very well even when it doesn't always get an assist.  KP, THJ, and Curry all get double-digit shot attempts in their preferred spots and all shoot at least 50%.  The three also combine for 17 assists thanks to the active ball movement.  Luka still nearly gets a 33-point triple-double on only 18 attempts (his second-lowest shot attempts since Jan 1st).  Mavs dominate.  

I love you guys, but some people really need to chill and learn how to enjoy a good thing.  Luka and Cuban are simply demonstrating how healthy professional relationships work.  Luka is a good kid, and life in the NBA is not always so adversarial.

amazingly awesome post

wish I could like it more 

and man, I miss the downvote button

I'd be downvoting the heck out of this place lately

gotta just do the "downvote" post more
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 10:49 AM)Tyler Wrote: Cause: Cuban talks to Luka about sharing the ball and taking ownership of his teammates' success as a way to become a better team.

Effect: The very next game, Luka takes the advice to heart and shares the ball very well even when it doesn't always get an assist. KP, THJ, and Curry all get double-digit shot attempts in their preferred spots and all shoot at least 50%. The three also combine for 17 assists thanks to the active ball movement. Luka still nearly gets a 33-point triple-double on only 18 attempts (his second-lowest shot attempts since Jan 1st). Mavs dominate.

I love you guys, but some people really need to chill and learn how to enjoy a good thing. Luka and Cuban are simply demonstrating how healthy professional relationships work. Luka is a good kid, and life in the NBA is not always so adversarial.

You win the thread. Actually, Luka, Mark, the Mavs, and Mav fandom win the thread.
Like Reply
What makes you think this message didn't come to luka via Rick and the staff? You just assume it was a1 on 1 conversation.

If anyone had anything to add, even remotely resembling more team involvement, it's Rick and he's the coach. It's his job. Owners and gms are often privy to those conversations and when he's asked about it, he includes himself having been around these guys more than anyone else.

As an aside, you can see the effect during the game. He was looking for his guys even more than he does. This is about taking his game to the next level and beyond.
Like Reply
This thread is weird for a guy who is close to averaging a 30 point triple double....at 20. I would say get out the way Cubes and anyone else who would tell Luka what he needs to do.
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 05:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: This thread is weird for a guy who is close to averaging a 30 point triple double....at 20. I would say get out the way Cubes and anyone else who would tell Luka what he needs to do.

I'm sure Cuban is just echoing ongoing conversation that happens organizationally with coaches, Luka, front office, etc. They're co-workers who all have team improvement in mind, including Luka. Do you want the coaches to just "get out of the way?"
Like Reply
Great players, and people, want to be challenged, and young people need guidance no matter how talented they are.  Lebron left Cleveland because they made him responsible for the entire organization by basing all their decisions on what they thought he wanted.  That's too much pressure for a young player.  You need to show a player like Luka that you have something to offer him to help him get to where he wants to get to, don't just tell him he's the boss and expect him to drag your organization to greatness.
Like Reply