Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mudiay vs Wright
This matchup illustrates how awful the Mavs summer was.  Wright and Curry were the Mavs big siginings in the offseason.  Watching last night, Mudiay clearly out played Wright by a wide margin in their matchup and has posted similar numbers while playing less minutes per game.  Moreover he is playing for the minimum and still has upside being 23 vs Wrights 27.

How were people gloating about this signing in the offseason when you could have had a better prospect long term for a fraction of the cost?
Like Reply
Totally agree. Wright is a big dissapointment.
Like Reply
(02-10-2020, 11:20 PM)Playmaker Wrote: This matchup illustrates how awful the Mavs summer was.  Wright and Curry were the Mavs big siginings in the offseason.  Watching last night, Mudiay clearly out played Wright by a wide margin in their matchup and has posted similar numbers while playing less minutes per game.  Moreover he is playing for the minimum and still has upside being 23 vs Wrights 27.

How were people gloating about this signing in the offseason when you could have had a better prospect long term for a fraction of the cost?

It was similar to the Jordan/Harrell situation. The Grizzlies already had their replacement (Tyus Jones) and knew he´d be better than Wright. Jones, Mudiay, Payton, Korkmaz. Could have signed three of them for the price of one Wrong.
Like Reply
Insert random advanced stats and "I LOVE THIS DELON WRIGHT SIGNING."
Like Reply
Wright I think is a good player but it's weird that the Mavs give him as much money as they did and even gave up 2s to get him with TPE. Like he's fine, not amazing. Clearly they thought he could be a starter alongside Luka as a secondary ball-handler and elite defender. Even though he is a good defender and can do some playmaking, scoring clearly that plan has not panned out.

Meanwhile as you say Mudiay outplays him tonight and he is on a cheap deal.
Like Reply
Mudiay has definitely turned it around from last season, but before that he was an atrocious shooter for years.  Check out the shooting percentages: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...aem01.html

That's why he's on a minimum contract.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 07:31 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: Mudiay has definitely turned it around from last season, but before that he was an atrocious shooter for years.  Check out the shooting percentages: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...aem01.html

That's why he's on a minimum contract.

First, talent acquisition is a based on projections.  Something Donnie gets paid to do.

Second, Mudiay is a career 40% fg and 32.4% three point shooter.  Wright is a career 45% fg and 34% three point shooter.  Those aren't remarkable different stats esp. not worth paying an extra 7 mill or so per season for (we also gave up draft assets to acquire Wright as someone noted).  Moreover, if you factor in Mudiay's age, he is more likely than Wright to expand beyond those numbers.  He is also has a better physical profile than Wright at his age.

All off season we heard about how Wright was elite at defense and finishing at the rim.  I have yet to see anything that shows that he is.
Like Reply
Note that Mudiay's percentages, prior to this season, was only decent in 2018-19, a contract year at that.  He was terrible for 5 years prior.  No sane GM would spend significant time weighing between him and someone like Wright.  At that point as a 1-year minimum guy, he wasn't a match for what the Mavs seemingly shopped for (long-term signees on reasonable contracts like Wright, Curry, Maxi, DFS).  At that point they were shopping for potential long-term backcourt partners for Luka, and don't tell me a probable 30% shooter is someone you'd be signing if you were the GM.  This considering how our board has been overly picky on who fits with Luka.

Hindsight is 20/20.  But anyway, if Wright balled as expected (which can still happen through the rest of the season), I have a feeling you'd be complaining about a different Mavs player.
Like Reply
(02-10-2020, 11:20 PM)Playmaker Wrote: How were people gloating about this signing in the offseason when you could have had a better prospect long term for a fraction of the cost?

Here is your answer:

(02-11-2020, 11:50 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Insert random advanced stats and "I LOVE THIS DELON WRIGHT SIGNING."

Also, odds are when someone posts in this nature, they actually haven't ever seen player XYZ play a game before. Beware of "go watch some tape" lines as well.
Like Reply
Mudiay will be a free agent after the season and will probably get more money over the next 3 years.  He probably would have been a top 3 pick in his draft class if he wasn't forced to go to china by the NCAA.  He probably wasn't mature enough in Denver, and NY is NY, at 23 he's probably just now starting to realize some of his potential.  Wright had seemingly proved something already and was more of a known commodity, I have to think some of his lack of production is a result of underutilization and not just lack of skills.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 07:10 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Mudiay will be a free agent after the season and will probably get more money over the next 3 years. He probably would have been a top 3 pick in his draft class if he wasn't forced to go to china by the NCAA. He probably wasn't mature enough in Denver, and NY is NY, at 23 he's probably just now starting to realize some of his potential. Wright had seemingly proved something already and was more of a known commodity, I have to think some of his lack of production is a result of underutilization and not just lack of skills.

Rag-dolling by RC (whom, once again, I have favored for years) seems to have played a huge role. I think RC's coaching style ruined both Wright and Justin this year.

Fuerza's buddy Brunson has outstripped Wright. Given the disparity in their contracts, that's not good.
Like Reply
The years not over so I'm not willing to consider it ruined for either player.  There's still a chance both guys will be better long term for whatever lessons Rick is teaching them now.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 07:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 07:10 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Mudiay will be a free agent after the season and will probably get more money over the next 3 years.  He probably would have been a top 3 pick in his draft class if he wasn't forced to go to china by the NCAA.  He probably wasn't mature enough in Denver, and NY is NY, at 23 he's probably just now starting to realize some of his potential.  Wright had seemingly proved something already and was more of a known commodity, I have to think some of his lack of production is a result of underutilization and not just lack of skills.

Rag-dolling by RC (whom, once again, I have favored for years) seems to have played a huge role. I think RC's coaching style ruined both Wright and Justin this year.

If neither Rick Carlisle or Nick Nurse can get more out of you than what you currently are, maybe that's what you are.

There was nothing to "ruin" about Justin Jackson. He was a spare. He is currently a spare. He will always be a spare. He was the proverbial bag of balls that the Mavs got in exchange for a player/salary they didn't want anymore.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 07:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: rag-dolling by RC (whom, once again, I have favored for years) seems to have played a huge role. I think RC's coaching style ruined both Wright and Justin this year.

Fuerza's buddy Brunson has outstripped Wright. Given the disparity in their contracts, that's not good.

Brunson played 14 min last night. Wright played 26. THJ earned his starting job. Wright has consistently played backup guard minutes. Where's the rag-dolling? Do you want to promote Wright and demote THJ? 

For the season Delon averages 3 more minutes per game than Brunson. How has Brunson "outsripped" Wright? 

And what has Rick done to Jackson? Jackson averages the 10th most minutes and plays the 10th most minutes per game. Do you want to argue that he deserved a higher spot on the totem pole? Based on what? Do you want for the 10th man to get more minutes? At who's expense?

You're just typing up a problem that doesn't exist. I love Delon. And Delon and his brother may think he should be higher than 4th in the guard rotation. But I don't! Do you?
Like Reply
The real target in the Barnes deal was the trade exception. JJ was just a throw in to make things works. If he works out here...fine. If not...fine.

As for Mudiay vs Wright, we can say that about any such player. Why not try this guy out for that guy? If the more expensive option was playing better, fans would have been saying we missed out due to being cheap and we got what we paid for.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 03:58 AM)radioaktiv Wrote: Note that Mudiay's percentages, prior to this season, was only decent in 2018-19, a contract year at that.  He was terrible for 5 years prior.  No sane GM would spend significant time weighing between him and someone like Wright.  At that point as a 1-year minimum guy, he wasn't a match for what the Mavs seemingly shopped for (long-term signees on reasonable contracts like Wright, Curry, Maxi, DFS).  At that point they were shopping for potential long-term backcourt partners for Luka, and don't tell me a probable 30% shooter is someone you'd be signing if you were the GM.  This considering how our board has been overly picky on who fits with Luka.

Hindsight is 20/20.  But anyway, if Wright balled as expected (which can still happen through the rest of the season), I have a feeling you'd be complaining about a different Mavs player.

This is a joke, right?  Again, don't act like Wright was ever shooting great percentages himself.  A GM and front offices job is to weigh all free agents against one another.  So if they gave Mudiay no thought vs Wright there is something really wrong with the MBT.

Wright was also in a contract year and did nothing special.  I guess the Mavs became enamored by him torching Mejri during the tankathon at the end of last season posting a couple of triple doubles. 

Yes Im sure it made sense to MBT to sign a long term older player that is average to below average in every way vs someone much younger on a minimum contract.

Like Reply
If you think that's a joke, then I'm glad you're nowhere near any NBA front office. LOL
Like Reply