Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A TD recovery thread: Internal player development progress
The Trade Deadline is over and all of the exciting events happened for others this year unlike last year which was superb for us. Many including myself are disappointed etc. We have definitely taken some losses recently with TD nothingness, injuries and lack of winning streaks. 

Following are other things we can switch our happy place focus to:

1. Number one for me is watching our continued internal development. I list Luka, THJ, Maxi, DFS and probably Jalen as well ahead of what we expected this past summer on the development scale. I also list overall team performance/chemistry as well ahead of my expectations. 
2. KP's progress is what most of us are watching very closely. He is not yet well ahead of our hopes but he is clearly our #2 legitimate star and him rising up to play that way is easily our single best way to take the next step toward serious playoff contender. I list his development as still positive with recent hope as well. 
3. We have real playoff run games to watch!  Smile
4. There are others who could improve to join the above list like Seth, Delon and WCS who have shown quite a bit at times. JJ Barea and Justin Jackson have attributes that could show up big down the stretch. We have a lots of opportunities for continued internal improvement.  Cool
5. Team opportunities that really need improvement/growth include closing games and free throw shooting. There are others. There has been signs of hope recently in both areas. There have also been a series of challenges like teams learning how to play us and our injuries. These things are requirements this team must master on the way to true playoff contender status. I think this current team has plenty of ability and opportunity to improve (even though additional talent would have helped. I will be rooting for WCS. He has much of what he needs to become an effective two way player. I want to see him against Jokic, Harrell etc.)
6. The All-Star game will be fun. Celebrating our Super Star never gets old. We are so lucky to have our new Super Star and maybe a 2nd big star so soon after the GOAT retired. 
7. Let's try to spend some of our time enjoying recovery from our disappointment. The closing stretch to the All-Star break, the surge to the finish and the Playoffs all come before the draft and free agency. We have much to enjoy. Please post any progress you notice beginning with tonight's game and the 30 remaining games.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
I'll respond to your infectious positivity with one piece of negativity - Jalen, aside from some recent flashes, is actually less impressive to me than last year. I hope he comes around a bit more. I think the most important issue is three point shooting. He's in the Luka/KP disappointment crew with that stat in particular (note: KP, encouragingly, is trending upwards.). Some of that could be the result of not playing hardly at all with Luka. In comparison, Curry, THJ, Maxi, DFS, and even Wright are shooting excellently from the arc. The success of all five of those guys throws Jalen in negative relief. 

I have no hopes whatsoever for Justin given how abominably he has played for the past two months, but boy, it sure would be encouraging to see him finish the year similarly to how he started it. If we're going to be stuck with him, playing like he used to, at least, would be something to build on for next year.
Like Reply
Infectious positivity .... I like it! Not that I am positive about the trade deadline. I spent much time in hope of great things. I hated the loss last night as well. That's why I chose not to look at the board or post anything while angry. 

Anyway, I hear your point on Jalen. He continues to have good moments but his improvement could be better for sure. I was mad at him for single handedly turning our victory over with poor decisions and execution earlier this year. I still have him on my list for potential internal improvement, though like many, I see him as a leader of the bench mob.

Justin Jackson should be so much better than he is and has been. There may be a switch in there somewhere that could turn on at some point soon. He has skills, size and seems to try hard but he just doesn't play winning basketball when we count on him...not yet. That does not mean he never will. 

Given our need for improvement, I will be really excited to see any of our guys stepping up even further to the next level for them...especially KP. 

PS. I actually almost posted Courtney Lee as a candidate for internal improvement. I didn't because it would only be for this year. However, last night gives me a little hope he can help us for this years playoff run. Rick apparently wants to see what he can offer.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 12:50 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: The Trade Deadline is over and all of the exciting events happened for others this year unlike last year which was superb for us. Many including myself are disappointed etc. We have definitely taken some losses recently with TD nothingness, injuries and lack of winning streaks. 

Following are other things we can switch our happy place focus to:

1. Number one for me is watching our continued internal development. I list Luka, THJ, Maxi, DFS and probably Jalen as well ahead of what we expected this past summer on the development scale. I also list overall team performance/chemistry as well ahead of my expectations. 
2. KP's progress is what most of us are watching very closely. He is not yet well ahead of our hopes but he is clearly our #2 legitimate star and him rising up to play that way is easily our single best way to take the next step toward serious playoff contender. I list his development as still positive with recent hope as well. 
3. We have real playoff run games to watch!  Smile
4. There are others who could improve to join the above list like Seth, Delon and WCS who have shown quite a bit at times. JJ Barea and Justin Jackson have attributes that could show up big down the stretch. We have a lots of opportunities for continued internal improvement.  Cool
5. Team opportunities that really need improvement/growth include closing games and free throw shooting. There are others. There has been signs of hope recently in both areas. There have also been a series of challenges like teams learning how to play us and our injuries. These things are requirements this team must master on the way to true playoff contender status. I think this current team has plenty of ability and opportunity to improve (even though additional talent would have helped. I will be rooting for WCS. He has much of what he needs to become an effective two way player. I want to see him against Jokic, Harrell etc.)
6. The All-Star game will be fun. Celebrating our Super Star never gets old. We are so lucky to have our new Super Star and maybe a 2nd big star so soon after the GOAT retired. 
7. Let's try to spend some of our time enjoying recovery from our disappointment. The closing stretch to the All-Star break, the surge to the finish and the Playoffs all come before the draft and free agency. We have much to enjoy. Please post any progress you notice beginning with tonight's game and the 30 remaining games.

add Ryan from accounting, Seth, and Wright to that, I’m especially surprised by Ryan’s progress. Hes actually turning into a very smart defender, cutter and rebounder
Like Reply
I watched the last two games tonight. I had already decided to add Seth to my watch list for the well ahead of expectations group. I have hope for Delon and I did notice Broekoff tonight as well. He is ahead of my expectations because I thought he was out for the year.
Like Reply
Chemistry should be good next year. 
We'll have much the same team just add on the rookies and a couple bench guys splitting the MLE. 
Maybe WCS and a larger wing defender of some sort
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 03:46 AM)Jym Wrote: Chemistry should be good next year.
We'll have much the same team just add on the rookies and a couple bench guys splitting the MLE.

I'll bet good money that our MLE is split between WCS and MKG. (step away from the ledge, Cow)
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 11:35 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 03:46 AM)Jym Wrote: Chemistry should be good next year.

I'll bet good money that our MLE is split between WCS and MKG. (step away from the ledge, Cow)
That sounds about right Scott. I can see the same thing happening. Yay!
Like Reply
I also wouldn't mind either one of them totally earning the full MLE.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 10:34 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I also wouldn't mind either one of them totally earning the full MLE.

Sure, but then we're left with another hole - although perhaps it could be filled via a Jackson/Wright/pick trade. Of course, they would have to tamper the MLE "winner" to target the right guy with the draft day trade.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 01:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'll respond to your infectious positivity with one piece of negativity - Jalen, aside from some recent flashes, is actually less impressive to me than last year. I hope he comes around a bit more. I think the most important issue is three point shooting. He's in the Luka/KP disappointment crew with that stat in particular (note: KP, encouragingly, is trending upwards.). Some of that could be the result of not playing hardly at all with Luka. In comparison, Curry, THJ, Maxi, DFS, and even Wright are shooting excellently from the arc. The success of all five of those guys throws Jalen in negative relief. 

I have no hopes whatsoever for Justin given how abominably he has played for the past two months, but boy, it sure would be encouraging to see him finish the year similarly to how he started it. If we're going to be stuck with him, playing like he used to, at least, would be something to build on for next year.
Brunson is shooting 47/37/85, which is better than last year. 2% improvement in 3pt percentage, 10% in FT percentage. And probably way above league average for guards.

The way the others have shot in the absence of Luka also reduces his excuses to take so many bad 3pt shots. Doncic  and Porzingis have by far the most potential to improve from all our players. The rest just maintaining their percentages would be unexpected and brilliant.
Like Reply
Wright has room for improvement, he needs to quit being afraid to shoot open threes.

I am beginning to despair of any improvement from JJ.
Like Reply
Excellent Post!

Also unlike others who think we completely blew the TDL and should give up on life all together end of the worlders, I think WCS and "if" we pick up MKG or Mo off the wire/buy out market we had a solid TDL cause we made moves to improve. I would have loved to snatch up Roco but only 1 team got him and we weren't too big on any of the other names that got traded so its not that bad.
Like Reply
(02-10-2020, 04:31 PM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: I would have loved to snatch up Roco

Roco has looked very good with Houston. They have gone small but with Roco, Westbook, PJ Tucker, they are so very strong and athletic. They really aren't as small as they seem and they can really score it. 

I think I can declare us almost fully recovered from the Trade Deadline. Seeing Luka and KP do so very well together showed us where we can happily watch for our playoff run. Hell, the latest is a new campaign for Luka as Most Improved Player. How about the Mavericks winning two rounds in the playoffs and proving themselves to be the most improved Team!
Like Reply