Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAULIFLOWER: All Willie Things
I don't think a Rubio trade is LIKELY, I was just saying that I could see it being the point of that four team rumor (which we don't know is happening) based on the leaked details (which we don't know are true or complete). I'm in no way making a PREDICTION, just PREPARING myself for it, mentally.
Like Reply
http://gph.is/2b2MlSZ
Like Reply
(11-13-2020, 01:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: http://gph.is/2b2MlSZ

Yes, spread the horror over a longer stretch of time by starting NOW. That will help you cope. 

BE PREPARED.
Like Reply
The only problem for WCS is that he needs to find another team to pay him.

He had a career-year in his last Sacramento season, and that didn´t stop the Kings from waiving his RFA rights to acquire Cory Joseph. Next he landed on the Warriors for close to the minimum, who happily traded him to the Mavs for a late 2nd rounder.

Unless he gets some outrageous offer, he´d be smart to stick around. It´s questionable whether Porzingis and Powell will be ready for the start of the season. Regardless he´ll have plenty of opportunities next season, playing with the Don in a system that can make every C look good.

On the other hand, if he screws this up, he can buy his next house in Tallinn on the coast of the Baltic sea. Big Grin

I´m already on record saying he´ll have a great season.
Like Reply
https://gph.is/g/EJXb6qZ
Like Reply
(11-13-2020, 02:06 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: The only problem for WCS is that he needs to find another team to pay him.

He had a career-year in his last Sacramento season, and that didn´t stop the Kings from waiving his RFA rights to acquire Cory Joseph. Next he landed on the Warriors for close to the minimum, who happily traded him to the Mavs for a late 2nd rounder.

Unless he gets some outrageous offer, he´d be smart to stick around. It´s questionable whether Porzingis and Powell will be ready for the start of the season. Regardless he´ll have plenty of opportunities next season, playing with the Don in a system that can make every C look good.

On the other hand, if he screws this up, he can buy his next house in Tallinn on the coast of the Baltic sea. Big Grin

I´m already on record saying he´ll have a great season.

This, imo, is a very accurate and balanced view of the situation. 

People who think he's about to be given a free spot in the rotation and will inevitably shine might be disappointed, though I can imagine him ending up there and playing well. 

People who assume he has no shot to contribute here at all, and that he might not even be given a chance will be similarly surprised, though I wouldn't be shocked if his time in Dallas ends up being another sad installment of "What could WCS's career have been?"

It's really up to him, imo.
Like Reply
Through 10 games & 174 mins on-court, 311 off-court....

Offense: +18.1
Defense: +6.8
Net: +24.9

Just stupid good.
Like Reply
In 4 games in the starting lineup so far, WCS is averaging 7.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.3 blocks in just under 26 minutes a game. 

Compare that to pre-injury Powell in his starts last season: 9.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, and 0.5 blocks in just under 27 minutes a game. 

Basically WCS is trying out the old Powell role, and he's doing an impressive job while also being a much better defender and rebounder. It's a small sample size, but if he keeps it up this could be similar to the THJ situation last year where he got a starting shot and played so much better that the team just ran with it and never looked back.
Like Reply
(01-15-2021, 12:11 AM)Tyler Wrote: In 4 games in the starting lineup so far, WCS is averaging 7.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.3 blocks in just under 26 minutes a game. 

Compare that to pre-injury Powell in his starts last season: 9.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, and 0.5 blocks in just under 27 minutes a game. 

Basically WCS is trying out the old Powell role, and he's doing an impressive job while also being a much better defender and rebounder. It's a small sample size, but if he keeps it up this could be similar to the THJ situation last year where he got a starting shot and played so much better that the team just ran with it and never looked back.

Good stuff Tyler.  Thanks.  I appreciate your using the pre-injury data, because even that makes an argument for Willie.  If you dig into the advanced stats a little, Willie's O-Rating/D-Rating (things Powell has traditionally been great at) is 130/102 this season.  Powell was off the charts good at 134/111 and Willie is better at that too.  The numbers that matter most to me are the on/off numbers.  Willie is +20 on and +23 on-off.  That won't last (or if it does we will go undefeated from here on).  But cut both numbers in half and you still have an incredible situation.  Heck, cut it in half again to something like +5 and +6 and this is an incredible pairing.

I went back and looked up something I wrote on 12/12 that I think is appropriate and is hopefully prophetic:  

"I think WCS has a light switch hidden somewhere.  I can’t put my finger on why, I just do.  That switch has been really hard to find.  If Carlisle could get that thing switched while KP is out and get some momentum going we could have something really special.  Give WCS’s Powell’s effort and Maxi’s three point shot (for all we know he’s got this already) and you would have a monster.  The thing that seems to keep WCS from becoming Myles Turner appears to be all between his ears.  I hope whatever it is is curable."
Like Reply
Shades of JaVale McGee tonight.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1350265899530530818
Like Reply
(01-15-2021, 10:36 PM)cow Wrote: Shades of JaVale McGee tonight.

Yeah, that was a shaqtin moment if it were not so dangerous for JRue. WCS is ok, I like him. He has great athleticism and he does hustle, but he seems soft.
Like Reply
(01-15-2021, 12:11 AM)Tyler Wrote: In 4 games in the starting lineup so far, WCS is averaging 7.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.3 blocks in just under 26 minutes a game. 

Q.e.d. what people have always been saying. You can find players that do Powell better than Powell for half the money.

Like you can´t find 100 people on the planet that can figure out how to time rim runs and dunk a basketball. Especially given that Powell is not a special defender, rebounder or shooter either.
Like Reply
(01-16-2021, 04:04 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Especially given that Powell is not a special defender, rebounder or shooter either.
He is an AMAZING pump faker though!
Like Reply
Flipped the switch again. 3rd game in a row with low energy and now focus. Wonder how much longer RC will wait before he tries something new. Wouldn´t be suprised if Maxi or Powell start once they return.
This Jekyll and Hyde performance is really hard to watch.
Like Reply
I think WCS is in a 3-way competition right now with Johnson and Burke to see who the 10th man on this team is (when everyone is available). A more accurate way to say it is that sometimes they'll play only 9 (none of them), sometimes they'll play 10 and go smaller (Burke) and sometimes they'll play 10 and go big - in that last scenario, I think WCS and Johnson are competing for the spot, and it ultimately might be "dealer's choice" according to matchups.

He is definitely showing that he's not a better option than Kleber or Powell, imo.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 11:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Flipped the switch again. 3rd game in a row with low energy and now focus. Wonder how much longer RC will wait before he tries something new. Wouldn´t be suprised if Maxi or Powell start once they return.
This Jekyll and Hyde performance is really hard to watch.

That's the general critique of WCS. Rick had better kick in with his player-whisperer talents. I still think WCS has way too much talent to give up on him at this point. A few days ago, people were singing his praises in this thread.
Like Reply
Welcome to the WCS roller coaster. Buckle up.
Like Reply
Pretty much the general trend of WCS ... he starts out the season strong and fizzles out as the season goes along. He's not a natural self starter with a love for the game. He builds up motivation in the offseason with a chip on his shoulder over perceived slights and something to prove, but that stuff dissipates over time as the grind of the season goes along. There's no substitution for loving what you do. If you're 7'0" and hit the genetic lottery of athletic ability, you can Andrey Blatche your way into a 9 year NBA career without putting out much effort.
Like Reply
Johnson is really amazing and smart player. Needs to lower down on the playmaking tough. 

This is the best lineup we can make: 
Luka
Jrich
Johnson
Maxi
KP

WCS I think is struggling with touch around the rim, even simple layup and dunks, he is really missing the basic fundamentals of the game. 

Johnson can do everything DFS can do, and seems more. He is better. Maxi is a lot better player than WCS. 

That lineup above is a devastating defense. And if KP gets it going, also a great offense.
Like Reply
(01-20-2021, 06:12 PM)burekemde Wrote: Johnson is really amazing and smart player. Needs to lower down on the playmaking tough. 

This is the best lineup we can make: 
Luka
Jrich
Johnson
Maxi
KP

WCS I think is struggling with touch around the rim, even simple layup and dunks, he is really missing the basic fundamentals of the game. 

Johnson can do everything DFS can do, and seems more. He is better. Maxi is a lot better player than WCS. 

That lineup above is a devastating defense. And if KP gets it going, also a great offense.
I like the size and playmaking of that lineup TBH. Leaves the bench with Burke and Brunson as playmakers and the rest being hopefully good receivers of the playmaking. Puts some of our great bench mob guys together sans Maxi but I suspect he'd play with them a decent amount too.
Like Reply