Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 95, Lakers 108
(12-30-2019, 08:49 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 08:00 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Reminded me of the 2006 Mavs. Forget everything else, valid or not, like scheduled loss or refs.  When things got physical and the outside shot was not falling, the team didn’t respond well.

Yes there are things that both the players and coaches can do better. The surrounding cast around KP and Luka can also get better.

However part of physical play is just having the main studs go through that experience.  When this team eventually loses a couple of times in the playoffs, Luka and KP will realize the value of better shots. You can’t always play like Steph and Dirk when you are not very good 3 pt shooters. 

All this historical offense stuff is nice but when it is built on 3 pt shooting where the two best players are ironically not efficient long range shooters, it is fool’s gold that will get exposed as this team progresses in the playoffs.  Shoot 3s but be ready to muck it up too. Games like last night will help tremendously.
Good points, hakeem. 

One thing I would add. I don't think the team is built on 3-pt shooting. It is based on getting the best shots available, as determined by analytics. These are generally threes and shots within 3 feet of the rim. Those shots usually have an expected value much greater than that of midrange shots and long twos. The shooters on the perimeter help open up lanes to the basket. I take your point that the more undesirable shots may be the only shots available for parts of the playoffs. 

Based on the current roster and level of performance, I think an ambitious goal for the Mavs would be to win a playoff series. A lot might depend on matchups. I agree with your prediction that playoff experience, win or lose, would be very valuable for the players.

mavsluvr.  I understand the modern trend and analytics. However that also has to be sensibly blended with the abilities of the studs you have. 

GS had 3 of history’s best 3 pt shooters. If that’s the only way to win now then we will never win a title with KP and Luka, neither of whom are very good 3 pt shooters, let alone historical.  

BTW, GS also got mid range play from Livingston and KD is a great shooter from anywhere on the court.  

I am not even asking to change the style completely anyway as much as run set plays (not junk lobs that even Powell can get ) that we can go to time and again in half court sets when defenses get physical. That will be the next step in the evolution of this current core.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 95, Lakers 108 - by hakeemfan - 12-30-2019, 09:14 AM