Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 95, Lakers 108
Mavs Fall to Lakers in Lackluster Showing

A game that had been heavily hyped turned out to be a bit of a yawner. Mavs just didn't have it. 

Game Story and Analytics

The venue was Staples Center. The Lakers were missing DeMarcus Cousins on a long-term rehab. Mavs entered the game at full strength. Both teams were on the second night of a back-to-back. 

The Lakers took the lead toward the end of the first quarter and never surrendered it. In fact, they took a double-digit lead in the second and never surrendered that. The Mavericks lost Tim Hardaway, Jr. to a hamstring injury in the first quarter. Luka fell awkwardly in connection with a Howard foul in the third. He got up, and eventually returned to the game, but didn't look fully himself.  KP was called for his fifth foul in the third quarter. With 4:39 left in the game, and the Mavs down 13, Rick put the starters back in. They missed six shots and fell further behind. Just a night where too many things went wrong. 

Statistically, Dallas lost the game with extremely poor shooting, combined with failure to guard the rim, and 25 points lost on 18 turnovers. The Mavericks actually got up 11 more shots than the Lakers, and took 20 more three-point shots, but couldn't capitalize. The Lakers had a massive 54 points in the paint -- fully half of their total points. The opponent got to the basket pretty much at will, and the Mavs were battling LA's size advantages all night. The Lakers defense had a lot to do with the Mavericks' failure to score, but the Mavs also missed good looks. The Mavs never even produced a run on either end of the court, and kept turning the ball over in barfworthy fashion. 

Remarks

I don't think it's productive to go through a player-by-player analysis of this match. Luka had a poor game by his lofty standards, scoring only 19 points on 5-14 shooting, and recording a 7:6 assist/turnover ratio. KP was invisible in stretches, and struggled with foul trouble. The bench, for the most part, were ineffectual. There was a Barea sighting, and the little Puerto Rican scored 12 points in 13 minutes, but even the emergency secret sauce was unable to make a dent in the Lakers' dominance. The team missed THJ.  It was painful watching the Mavericks try to guard Anthony Davis. 

The refs were letting the Lakers play very rough, and I thought for a while that the Lakers were able to throw the Mavs off with physical (illegal?) moves. I'm sure that was a factor, but on further consideration, the Mavericks looked off from the jump. They appeared lethargic and lacking in intensity the whole game. Maybe the back-to-back caught up to them, although the starters didn't play the full game against GSW. 

I fear that this game might be a preview of what the young Mavs might look like in the playoffs, when they face teams with size and physicality, the refs let them play, and the opponents focus on locking down Luka. The squad doesn't always respond well to pressure., and we saw a number of mental mistakes in this game. I have a certain degree of optimism over a series, largely because of Carlisle's superior adjustment skills. Also, this is a team that learns fast, and even if they lost a playoff series, I believe that they would benefit greatly from the experience. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This was one game, and this level of clusterfaff is rare for the Mavs. It is galling to lose this way to the hated Lakers, but it's one game, and even great teams have an occasional off night. 

For now, I'm saying this match was an outlier, and it should serve as a teaching moment. The most concerning aspect of the game were the injuries to Tim and Luka. 

Next. Chris Paul and the Thunder on Tuesday in OKC. 

Keep the faith!
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 03:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I fear that this game might be a preview of what the young Mavs might look like in the playoffs, when they face teams with size and physicality, the refs let them play, and the opponents focus on locking down Luka.
was a b2b as well (3rd game in 4 nights). Mavs havent really looked good in them all season. And neither Luka.

Got the feeling Luka had over 50 % of his "bad games" in b2b's compared to every other games.
Like Reply
21-11 is nothing to be ashamed of.
Like Reply
My biggest question is why is Jackson suddenly getting time again?
His play certainly doesn’t warrant it.
Maybe trying to up his value for trades?
Only helps if he actually has a positive impact on the game.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 05:29 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: My biggest question is why is Jackson suddenly getting time again?
His play certainly doesn’t warrant it.
Maybe trying to up his value for trades?
Only helps if he actually has a positive impact on the game.
His minutes are coming at the cost of JB. Maybe they want the length since Wright and Curry are definitely gonna play?
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 03:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: For now, I'm saying this match was an outlier

Hm. This match was exactly the same as the match against Clippers. When opponents guarded Luka hard by fouling him on every drive and his 3 point shot isn't falling, the offense fell appart in both cases. He actually managed to shot exactly 14 shots only in both games. Rest of the team doesn't handle physical play well and has limited creative capability. I am affraid this is not an outlier.

Bench severly lacks playmaking. Wright can create for himself, but is not a good PG. I would say that Brunson is best back up PG we have but his role has been greatly diminished with Luka back. Line-up of Brunson, Wright and Curry just isn't working. Neither does putting Jackson or Accountant on 4. I think one of the three small guards has to fall out of the rotation . Perhaps trade him, as each of them deserves minutes? He should be replaced by a regular sized player. Either additional man under the rim or 3-D guy. Assuming Seth is moved into THJ spot while he is injured, perhaps a line-up of Wright, Brunson, JJ + 2 more will look better. 

Being a second game of a B2B is not an excuse, as Lakers also played one. They just showed how a real contender plays. As for now this was just another regular season game and no tragedy.
Like Reply
Luka --

We played really bad. I think it was one of the worst games we've ever played.
Like Reply
Reminded me of the 2006 Mavs. Forget everything else, valid or not, like scheduled loss or refs. When things got physical and the outside shot was not falling, the team didn’t respond well.

Yes there are things that both the players and coaches can do better. The surrounding cast around KP and Luka can also get better.

However part of physical play is just having the main studs go through that experience. When this team eventually loses a couple of times in the playoffs, Luka and KP will realize the value of better shots. You can’t always play like Steph and Dirk when you are not very good 3 pt shooters.

All this historical offense stuff is nice but when it is built on 3 pt shooting where the two best players are ironically not efficient long range shooters, it is fool’s gold that will get exposed as this team progresses in the playoffs. Shoot 3s but be ready to muck it up too. Games like last night will help tremendously.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 08:00 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Reminded me of the 2006 Mavs. Forget everything else, valid or not, like scheduled loss or refs.  When things got physical and the outside shot was not falling, the team didn’t respond well.

Yes there are things that both the players and coaches can do better. The surrounding cast around KP and Luka can also get better.

However part of physical play is just having the main studs go through that experience.  When this team eventually loses a couple of times in the playoffs, Luka and KP will realize the value of better shots. You can’t always play like Steph and Dirk when you are not very good 3 pt shooters. 

All this historical offense stuff is nice but when it is built on 3 pt shooting where the two best players are ironically not efficient long range shooters, it is fool’s gold that will get exposed as this team progresses in the playoffs.  Shoot 3s but be ready to muck it up too. Games like last night will help tremendously.
Good points, hakeem. 

One thing I would add. I don't think the team is built on 3-pt shooting. It is based on getting the best shots available, as determined by analytics. These are generally threes and shots within 3 feet of the rim. Those shots usually have an expected value much greater than that of midrange shots and long twos. The shooters on the perimeter help open up lanes to the basket. I take your point that the more undesirable shots may be the only shots available for parts of the playoffs. 

Based on the current roster and level of performance, I think an ambitious goal for the Mavs would be to win a playoff series. A lot might depend on matchups. I agree with your prediction that playoff experience, win or lose, would be very valuable for the players.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 08:49 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 08:00 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Reminded me of the 2006 Mavs. Forget everything else, valid or not, like scheduled loss or refs.  When things got physical and the outside shot was not falling, the team didn’t respond well.

However part of physical play is just having the main studs go through that experience.  When this team eventually loses a couple of times in the playoffs, Luka and KP will realize the value of better shots. You can’t always play like Steph and Dirk when you are not very good 3 pt shooters. 

All this historical offense stuff is nice but when it is built on 3 pt shooting where the two best players are ironically not efficient long range shooters, it is fool’s gold that will get exposed as this team progresses in the playoffs.  Shoot 3s but be ready to muck it up too. Games like last night will help tremendously.
Good points, hakeem. 

One thing I would add. I don't think the team is built on 3-pt shooting. It is based on getting the best shots available, as determined by analytics. These are generally threes and shots within 3 feet of the rim. Those shots usually have an expected value much greater than that of midrange shots and long twos. The shooters on the perimeter help open up lanes to the basket. I take your point that the more undesirable shots may be the only shots available for parts of the playoffs. 

Based on the current roster and level of performance, I think an ambitious goal for the Mavs would be to win a playoff series. A lot might depend on matchups. I agree with your prediction that playoff experience, win or lose, would be very valuable for the players.

mavsluvr.  I understand the modern trend and analytics. However that also has to be sensibly blended with the abilities of the studs you have. 

GS had 3 of history’s best 3 pt shooters. If that’s the only way to win now then we will never win a title with KP and Luka, neither of whom are very good 3 pt shooters, let alone historical.  

BTW, GS also got mid range play from Livingston and KD is a great shooter from anywhere on the court.  

I am not even asking to change the style completely anyway as much as run set plays (not junk lobs that even Powell can get ) that we can go to time and again in half court sets when defenses get physical. That will be the next step in the evolution of this current core.
Like Reply
Thanks, ML... good analysis.

My thoughts, during the game...

1. In spite of both teams being on b-t-b, it appeared that the Mavs were more affected. They seemed to have very little "jump" in their game.
2. LAL played some very good defense. They were always tight on the ball handler (Luca, Wright, Curry). They closed (jumped) passing lanes really quickly. All this led to TOs & pressured shots, and no doubt contributed to lower shooting percentage.
3. LAL, being a team made-up of more experienced individuals, has "jelled" as a team, more quickly than has the Mavs. Their pnr's for example, always seemed to go smoothly, and our defense was not recovering quickly.
4. In addition to the above, it was certainly an "off night" for most of our shooters (not too surprising, considering how hot they were the previous game) In this regard, I was surprised (disappointed) that Curry passed up several relatively open shot opportunities--he has to be a primary scorer with H.Jr out.
5. But, have to put this in the past -- get some rest, and concentrate on the next game, OKC is now playing well.
Like Reply
Mentioned this earlier in the year when someone asked why THJ instead of Wright or JJ. I said then that RC rotations were clear. He always talks about playing with force and seems to be willing to live with mistakes as long as you don’t shy away when physicality increases. THJ certainly fits that criteria more than Wright or JJ, both of whom seem a bit soft.

We could see that again last night. THJ even with his issues is a key part of this rotation.
Like Reply
Not sure why but the spacing was terrible last night. So strange to see guys running into each other all over the court. Keystone Kops out there. 

I haven't checked but the Mavs took what had to be a season high of long 2s.

Lakers just played 2 v 2 in the paint and stayed home on shooters. Mavs looked tentative, small and a step slow. 

Dwight Howard was a beast and Boban didn't show up. 

Doncic was clearly not himself. 

Porzingis post ups make me cringe. Turnover machine. He didn't finish well or draw fouls.

Wright & Curry were forced to be first or second options. Neither played like they wanted that responsibility.

Brunson was out of the early rotation and didn't respond well to ball pressure. 

Jackson's shot doesn't look close and his body language is terrible.

Lakers put the Mavs away with size and physicality on offense and smart pick & roll defense took away shots at the rim and threes.

Overall this was a total dump of a game and looked like most of the team had a big Sat night in LA.
Like Reply
Mavs lack some versatility on offense for when the 3pt shot isn't falling.  We don't have someone that can consistently get to the basket, a low post presence or someone efficient in the mid range to stabilize the offense when defenses tighten up.  

Luka has decent handles, but can struggle against strong on ball defenders.  And it also feels like I'm watching Shawn Marion or Wes Matthews the few times they give it to KP in the post since he loses the ball half the time trying to back his man down.  

Good thing is I feel Luka and KP's offensive ceiling, and thus the Mavs collectively can grow as they continue working on and refining their game.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 03:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Fall to Lakers in Lackluster Showing

A game that had been heavily hyped turned out to be a bit of a yawner. Mavs just didn't have it. 

Game Story and Analytics

The venue was Staples Center. The Lakers were missing DeMarcus Cousins on a long-term rehab. Mavs entered the game at full strength. Both teams were on the second night of a back-to-back. 

The Lakers took the lead toward the end of the first quarter and never surrendered it. In fact, they took a double-digit lead in the second and never surrendered that. The Mavericks lost Tim Hardaway, Jr. to a hamstring injury in the first quarter. Luka fell awkwardly in connection with a Howard foul in the third. He got up, and eventually returned to the game, but didn't look fully himself.  KP was called for his fifth foul in the third quarter. With 4:39 left in the game, and the Mavs down 13, Rick put the starters back in. They missed six shots and fell further behind. Just a night where too many things went wrong. 

Statistically, Dallas lost the game with extremely poor shooting, combined with failure to guard the rim, and 25 points lost on 18 turnovers. The Mavericks actually got up 11 more shots than the Lakers, and took 20 more three-point shots, but couldn't capitalize. The Lakers had a massive 54 points in the paint -- fully half of their total points. The opponent got to the basket pretty much at will, and the Mavs were battling LA's size advantages all night. The Lakers defense had a lot to do with the Mavericks' failure to score, but the Mavs also missed good looks. The Mavs never even produced a run on either end of the court, and kept turning the ball over in barfworthy fashion. 

Remarks

The refs were letting the Lakers play very rough, and I thought for a while that the Lakers were able to throw the Mavs off with physical (illegal?) moves. I'm sure that was a factor, but on further consideration, the Mavericks looked off from the jump. They appeared lethargic and lacking in intensity the whole game. Maybe the back-to-back caught up to them, although the starters didn't play the full game against GSW. 

I fear that this game might be a preview of what the young Mavs might look like in the playoffs, when they face teams with size and physicality, the refs let them play, and the opponents focus on locking down Luka. The squad doesn't always respond well to pressure., and we saw a number of mental mistakes in this game.

Keep the faith!

Yes, the Lakers played very rough, they roughed up the Mavericks and that approach won't be an outlier.  
These free flowing pass and shoot ball movement systems can be countered with physical muck up the movement defense and it-ain't-illegal-if-the-ref-don't-call-it defense

Let's not forget that Maverick loss to the Lakers earlier that would have been a win if Dwight Howard had not intentionally grabbed Seth Curry just long enough so the ref would miss the call.  Its dirty but intentional and so its part of the game.  This time we get the common foul that could have easily been totally disastrous even season ending or career altering the way that Luka Doncic fell totally unprotected to the floor.  His back and his head.  That's nothing to take lightly.  

I thought it was also a dirty way to rough up Luka while still not being called for a flagrant.   Luka is completely airborne focused on the shot (he needs to start keeping one eye on protecting himself) and Dwight Howard swipes across the top of torso.  At the same time 2 other Lakers are converging on him in the air.  Its dangerous when players are airborne.  Its rough and physical play and it continued all game long. 

On the flip side the Lakers big men absolutely feasted on inside scoring against the Dallas defense inside.  Dwight Howard, Javale McGee and Anthony Davis shot a high enough % that would have beaten the most 3 point shooting %'s even if the Mavs shot well, which they didn't of course because the Lakers didn't give them many good looks. 

Anthony Davis 8 of 12 for 66.7% and 7 of 9 FT. 
Dwight Howard 6 of 7 for 85.7% and  3 of 4 FT. 
Javale McGee 5 of 6 for 83.3%  and 1 of 1 FT. 

That kind of inside 2 point efficiently can beat a 3 point shooting team, even one shooting moderately well. 
I don't expect that to be an outlier game plan, that's a plan teams like the Lakers and Clippers will bring to this high scoring Dallas team.  
Rick Carlisle needs a counter which I'm not sure he's demonstrated he has in his system.

Boban is the only real inside force player I see on this roster and he's not likely to get a chance to do much in a Carlisle offensive system. 
He played all of 3 minutes and plays are not run for his inside scoring talent.  We've already heard that there is no intention to play Porzingis inside.  
So yes, this was back to back trap and they did seem to lack bounce from the start, but there is also a pattern for concern here for Mavs fan hoping this team can really compete for a championship as is rather than competing for a playoff spot. 
Like Reply
Thanks for the excellent synopsis, as usual!  My opinion:  the bottom line is that the Mavs just got the yips, as they often do against NBA elite teams, as evidenced by their poor shooting.  They kept missing on even fairly open looks.  They were intimidated and rushed shots, rushed passes(which get intercepted), and lost focus on defense.  Somehow, Rick has to get a different mentality into this team, i.e., that it is going to be WE who are dictating the play and intimidating the other team.  And start it with the Thunder game
Like Reply
I´m honestly not worried about the Lakers. Outside of the refs f*cking us over (which is a very real possibility) I think they have nothing for us basketball-wise. We were just dead last night. You could tell in the first three minutes. I´d rather play the Lakers than the Clippers in the play-offs. That´s for sure. The knucklehead bros are not going 15 for 16 or something against us in a play-off series.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 01:09 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 03:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Fall to Lakers in Lackluster Showing

Game Story and Analytics

Remarks

I fear that this game might be a preview of what the young Mavs might look like in the playoffs, when they face teams with size and physicality, the refs let them play, and the opponents focus on locking down Luka. The squad doesn't always respond well to pressure., and we saw a number of mental mistakes in this game.

Keep the faith!

Yes, the Lakers played very rough, they roughed up the Mavericks and that approach won't be an outlier.  
These free flowing pass and shoot ball movement systems can be countered with physical muck up the movement defense and it-ain't-illegal-if-the-ref-don't-call-it defense

Let's not forget that Maverick loss to the Lakers earlier that would have been a win if Dwight Howard had not intentionally grabbed Seth Curry just long enough so the ref would miss the call.  Its dirty but intentional and so its part of the game.  This time we get the common foul that could have easily been totally disastrous even season ending or career altering the way that Luka Doncic fell totally unprotected to the floor.  His back and his head.  That's nothing to take lightly.  

I thought it was also a dirty way to rough up Luka while still not being called for a flagrant.   Luka is completely airborne focused on the shot (he needs to start keeping one eye on protecting himself) and Dwight Howard swipes across the top of torso.  At the same time 2 other Lakers are converging on him in the air.  Its dangerous when players are airborne.  Its rough and physical play and it continued all game long. 

On the flip side the Lakers big men absolutely feasted on inside scoring against the Dallas defense inside.  Dwight Howard, Javale McGee and Anthony Davis shot a high enough % that would have beaten the most 3 point shooting %'s even if the Mavs shot well, which they didn't of course because the Lakers didn't give them many good looks. 

Anthony Davis 
8 of 12 for 66.7% and 7 of 9 FT. 
Dwight Howard 6 of 7 for 85.7% and  3 of 4 FT. 
Javale McGee 5 of 6 for 83.3%  and 1 of 1 FT. 

That kind of inside 2 point efficiently can beat a 3 point shooting team, even one shooting moderately well. 
I don't expect that to be an outlier game plan, that's a plan teams like the Lakers and Clippers will bring to this high scoring Dallas team.  
Rick Carlisle needs a counter which I'm not sure he's demonstrated he has in his system.

Boban is the only real inside force player I see on this roster and he's not likely to get a chance to do much in a Carlisle offensive system. 
He played all of 3 minutes and plays are not run for his inside scoring talent.  We've already heard that there is no intention to play Porzingis inside.  
So yes, this was back to back trap and they did seem to lack bounce from the start, but there is also a pattern for concern here for Mavs fan hoping this team can really compete for a championship as is rather than competing for a playoff spot. 
All true, but my question is, will the Mavs learn anything from this?  Next time we play the Lakers, will Rick persist in starting Powell, who was completely undersized and ineffective against their bigs?  I would go instead with Maxi, who is clearly stronger and the best interior defender on the team. 

Also, the Mavs should have been fouling them hard enough to make them miss some of those inside shots and make them earn the points on the line.  How can you let Dwight Howard and Javale McGee go 11-13 combined?  I would use up my whole allotment of big men to prevent that.
Like Reply
I hate the Lakers. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-30-2019, 04:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I hate the Lakers. 

The officials OBVIOUSLY don’t hate the Lakers...good grief, last night was pathetic.  This is one of those games that the Mavs just couldn’t get out of their own way, but it was FRUSTRATING seeing officiating that was just bad, and so one-sided.

Of course, I’m on record consistently as saying that officiating is a tremendous problem league wide, but it is so rare that I feel that it has gone in the Mavs favor.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply