Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 141, Warriors 121
Mavs Blow Warriors Out in San Francisco

If you like watching offense, this was the game for you. A real shootout, with the teams combining for 42 made threes. Fun!

Game Story and Analytics

The Warriors were missing Steph, Klay, and Kevon Looney. The Mavericks were at full strength. 

The Dubs got off to a hot start, with D'Angelo Russell scoring 12 points in under two minutes. The Mavs responded, and the first quarter ended with a Dirk-minded 41-41 scoreline. The shot-fest continued in the second period, and Dallas entered the locker room with a 72-74 deficit. The Mavericks went on an incredible 28-4 run in the middle of the third, and remained in control for the rest of the game. They eventually surrendered a net 10 points from their game-high lead of 30 in the fourth, but still won comfortably. Neither Luka nor Tim played in the final frame, and the other starters had minimal time. 

The game was a bit chippy, with five players T'd up -- Porzingis, Green, Russell, Chriss, and Lee. Luka and Chriss got into it a little when Chriss shoved Luka into a cameraman and Luka gave him the evil eye, but both players calmed down, and the only damage was a technical on Chriss. 

The Mavs defeated the Dubs with a more efficient shot attempt distribution, and better performance at the free-throw line. Both teams got 92 shots off, but 51 of the Dallas attempts were from beyond the arc, while the GSW tried only 39. Both teams were sizzling from long range, with the Mavericks shooting 47% and the Dubs 46%. The Mavs were a perfect 21-21 from the foul line, and the Warriors went 13-17. Dallas was +18 on points from threes, +8 on made free throws, and -6 on points from twos. The Mavericks set a franchise record for made threes in a game, putting 24 on the board. 

Players

Luka (30 min) was back to normal on his second game back from injury. He recorded his ninth triple-double of the season, with an impressive 31-12-15 line. He put on a blistering shooting performance, going 5-8 from three and hitting all 10 of his FTAs. He also had a couple of steals and only 3 turnovers, and had some good defensive plays. His performance was as exciting as it sounds -- the Slovenian knows how to put on a show. Rick deemed his game "amazing" and "phenomenal," and complimented him for setting the table for his teammates. Great to see the young star back to full speed again! With another game looming tomorrow, it was also good to see him get the fourth quarter off.

Porzingis (26 min) had an efficient 18 points and a game-high 4 blocks. His shot was looking good, as he hit 4 of 9 3PTAS, and was 2-3 on 2PTAs. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come! KP made an effort to gratify those who have been wanting him to post up, attempting to back down Draymond Green, but, alas, the play ended in a turnover. Greg Buckner allowed that Chris Webber "doesn't know what he is talking about," and Rick said he did not consider calling more post-ups for KP.

On the constructive criticism side, KP was bitten by the turnover bug, giving the ball away a team-high 5 times. Two of them were cross-court passes out of bounds, and a couple involved losing the ball off the dribble. Fortunately, no harm done in terms of the final score. On the other hand, Porzee's shotmaking and defense were both highly impressive. 

Seth (25 min) put on a show for Steph, going 4-7 from three-point land in the first three quarters, registering two steals, and playing some decent defense. He and Delon Wright headlined the fourth quarter, both playing all twelve minutes. Some of his threes were breathtaking, especially one over a crowd in the second quarter. Steph and Seth are first and second in the league on three-point percentages, at a scorching 43%. Steph was in a suit on the GSW bench, and must have been proud of li'l bro.

Hardaway (23 min) had another brilliant game, being the team's second-leading scorer with 25 points, hitting 6 of 8 3PTAs, and going 9-13 from the field, including a four-point play. He showed off his and Luka's spectacular chemistry, and defended well. Carlisle praised his shotmaking, defense, leadership, and experience. He noted that Tim had kept the team together in the midst of all the mayhem, and called attention to his veteran presence as an important factor in the team's performance all season long.  

Bench. Wright (22 min) had a fine performance off the bench, with 6-7 shooting, 4 rebounds, and a team-high 3 steals. He and Seth worked well together. Maxi and Justin Jackson both looked good in 21 minutes each. Rick complimented the group for finishing the game "the right way." The entire team finished in positive territory, aside from Brunson, Broekhoff, and Boban, who were all on low minutes.

Russell. D'Angelo Russell torched the Mavericks with 35 unbelievable points, including 9 threes, and was unstoppable from everywhere on the floor. Rick said that the team "threw the kitchen sink" at him, trying man defense, zone, switching, trapping, hybrid defenses, with nothing seeming to slow him down. However, they had a halftime talk on the subject, and ultimately, the Mavs' basic defense got them some traction. Unfortunately, Russell went down in the third quarter after a collision with Luka. He was back in the game in the fourth, but by then, the Mavs had built a substantial cushion. With both Steph and Russell on the floor, GSW will not be lacking for floor spacing. 

Remarks

Rick said his squad had to "find a way" to win this game, and congratulated them for their poise and togetherness in the face of all the "antics" going on. He was proud of his team for defending hard, rebounding, and taking care of the ball, despite a high degree of defensive aggression from Golden State. He opined that good paint attacks led to good threes, and he felt that his team "needed a game like this." I am reading this as an indication that Coach sees progress in terms of the team not falling apart against intense defense.

I thought this was a highly entertaining match. If the Dubs are, in fact, tanking, you couldn't tell it from this performance. The Warriors went very hard, and if Russell had not gotten hurt (shoulder contusion), the game would undoubtedly have been closer. I admire the Mavs for putting the game away early on a FIGABABA and taking care of business on the opponent's very rowdy home court. The focus of the win will inevitably and rightfully be the blistering 3-point shooting, but a lot of other things went right too, and despite the ten-point deficit in garbage time, at no time did the Mavericks come unglued. Good signs. 

Next. The Mavs face LeBron and the Lakers at their house on Sunday. Should be a cracker!

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
I'm a read-only guy from Germany most of the time and i really love your "a few thoughts". Thank you!
Like Reply
One of the most impressive wins this season! Warriors played light out the first half, essentially hitting everything. It was their best half this season by far. they played far above their ability. This was literally unguardable defensively, they shot far outside the arc and hitting everyhting. Most teams, if not all teams besides the offense of the Mavs, would have lost this game at the half time, being down 20-30 if not more.

That this Dallas team managed to stay in this game at half time, it's really phenomenal. It's only and only because of the best offense in the NBA that Mavs could manage to stay in this game. Luka kept answering the 3s from Russell. And so did THJ and KP. They didn't back down even with almost supernatural play from the opponent. Even Warriors were surprised by the Warriors how well they played the first half!!

I knew it already at half time that Dallas would win this game. It was clear that Warriors could not continue at this supernatural rate for one more half. That Dallas managed to stay in this game at this point, it was really impressive. They came to win this game, and would not allow anything, even supernatural, to change the outcome.

This is the best offense in the NBA. And most importantly it's a winning mentality. They want to win, and they find many different ways to do it. Luka brought this mentality with him and everyone has adapted to it, even the Knicks players are completely changed in mentality and care about the wins only. No matter where this guy has been (Luka), wins and championships came, sooner rather than later, even with tiny Slovenia winning the Euro for the first time ever against all odds. I fully believe that Mavs can and will win it this season.
Like Reply
Great recap ML on great game and great mavs performance.
But If I may I would gave up all mavs records in this game for 21/21.
From my point of view this part of the mavs game yesterday was beside W the most impressive performance.
Like Reply
My observations:
- THJ is a legit starter and Seth is the perfect 6th man compliment. The beauty of the Mavs' depth is that Rick can and does taper THJ's minutes when he's off. Any shooter is going to be streaky but THJ is getting it done and his defense is much better. 
- Defense in the first half was terrible. I could not understand why we didn't go to the trap sooner on Russell. Mavs did really well with it later on.
- Defense in the 2nd half looked great. I can see how Powell is a good team defender. His on-ball defense against opposing PF's on the block is not good. It was not exposed in this game and many others where there is no PF on the block. Both LA teams and Denver have PF's that can exploit Powell. I hope at some point Mavs figure out a way to help Powell more in those situations.
- That Chriss should have gotten tossed from the game. BS that he pushed Luka over a camera man and didn't get tossed. All those GSW guys are bitches.
- Kerr is showing he's actually a good coach. I am really worried ab the Warriors team next year. They are going to re-rack and be the favorite in the West next year. I want Mavs to go big now not wait for 2 years from now.
- Warriors tried to out-Mavs the Mavs and almost did it. I think they have the formula how to win games without a lot of star power. If you can make 3's and play defense you can win games. They might move up several spots by the end of the year and mess up the Mavs' pick.
Like Reply
The KP drive and dish off the 3 point close out is quickly becoming my favorite Mavs play since the Dirk one legged fade away. Its borderline unfair. If he makes the right read off the help youre either going to get a wide open 3 or an easy lob to the rim roller.
Like Reply
Another thing is I was loving Seth's defense tonight. Mavs had a better time closing out this team with Seth, Maxi and Wright out there playing defense and making hustle plays late.

I don't think Mavs should stand pat necessarily bc you can always get better. If the right move comes along like Favors or Iguodola I am on board because I think there's potential that one more move puts us one round deeper into the playoffs 

That being said the Mavs will benefit a lot from just playing together more. Even if the Mavs made zero moves this year and next we are likely to see a lot of improvement. Think about team defense for instance. Through the course of the game the Mavs eventually get it together. Oftentimes I see a big difference in the third quarter. Think about this same group next year. Maybe they figure it out in the first or second quarter. The other example obviously is late game execution. That should only get better and better.
Like Reply
Golden State has won some games lately and embarrassed the Rockets. They tried and failed to do that to us. Pretty much everyone in the league, even some in Houston, would love it if we passed them and/or beat them in the playoffs.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Steve Kerr defended his team's loss after the game, saying you had to consider that they were playing the Mavs, the league's number one offensive team. Stuff like the Mavs are going to be a difficult team for anyone. Saying "the Mavs" like people sometimes say "the Lakers." Loved it!
Like Reply
(12-29-2019, 03:05 AM)phiL Wrote: I'm a read-only guy from Germany most of the time and i really love your "a few thoughts". Thank you!
Thanks, phiL!
Like Reply